“Great week!”

Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
Ranked #15 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 3 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the RIU Palace Las Americas April 24th to May 1st. We had a great time. We spent last years trip in Punta Cana and I had a fairly crappy experience there, so I really spent time researching hotels in Cancun. I was thrilled with most everything about this resort. It's true that there is always someone cleaning something. The resort is spotless. The rooms could use an update, but were comfortable, clean and spacious. I've never had turn down service before, that was pretty cool. The beach wasn't huge but it was clean and the water was amazing. On calm water days the fishes would just swim around you. It was heaven. We went to three al la cartes, Krystal, tio pepe and the Japanese restaurant. The first two were so so but the Japanese restaurant was awesome. The buffets were awesome as well. I had read the buffets were good, but I didn't believe it because I'm kind of picky. They have two sections, an indoor and outdoor ( for breakfast and lunch anyway) and we always sat in the open air side. I most enjoyed having an ice cream cone for dessert every day. Last year I lost weight on my vacation. Not this year. Lol.. We were not disappointed in this trip at all. The only thing I liked better about our resort in Punta Cana were the pools. The pools here are kind of small, not a lot of seating around the quiet pool and they are kind of uninteresting - in the sense that there are no features like waterfalls to swim under or anything like that. They are infinity pools, so that was one nice feature. We enjoyed how close everything was. Even the fact that there was only one bathroom wasn't terrible except it would have been nice to have washrooms closer to the beach. There is no such thing as perfect, but this trip was pretty awesome.

Room Tip: Ocean view is worth the extra money. We were on the 3rd floor, close to the elevator to the left and...
3  Thank Alaina A
Write a ReviewReviews (6,938)

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We spent 14 nights here for our honeymoon, and it was outstanding.

Rooms - We had the basic junior suite, facing the lagoon. This was pretty much the cheapest on offer. The lagoon view is fine and the room is very large, with a small balcony. Its very clean (cleaned at least once daily), with minibar restocked. Air con is excellent, and a decent nights sleep.
For those who mention the ocean smell... you are going to get this a little in any hotel on the coast!!
(Only criticism is that the fridge could have done with a decent clean)

Staff/Service - Quite simply outstanding. Polite, eager to please. The whole place is spotless. Serving staff are attentive and by just the right amount.

Hotel - As the name suggests, the hotel is in a palcial style. The lobby is grand, as is the external architecture. You'll be impressed.

Pool/beach - There are two pools - the first more family orientated is as you go outside. It has the effect as if it were falling into the ocean. The second pool to the right has music and games, although not as loud as many hotels. To the left is a quieter area, with jacuzzi.
There are several tiers with more than enough sunbeds, and further down, a decent sized beach with calm, shallow waters. (You can borrow snorkelling equipment etc from the another rui hotel next door)

Bars - lobby bar, nicely air conditioned. Adjacent to this is a larger room for the evening entertainment, and a small terrace bar outside. There is also a poolside bar and swim up bar in the more active of the swimming pools. The choice of drinks is large. We've seen a few people complain about the choice, but really can't see why. If you want a £30 bottle of wine, please don't expect this from an all inclusive!
Saying that, the wine is decent, and the spirits are well known brands and good measures.

Food - The main buffet restaurant is open for breakfast lunch and dinner. There is something there for everyone, and they usually have a different theme each evening for some variety. One staff member in the evening, Dennis was simply excellent.
Mexican restaurant - need to book for this. A little disappointing as not much flavour to the food. Also felt a bit rushed.
Steak/terrace restaurant - need to book for this. Good but of rib eye and merlot. nice cool breeze from the ocean.
Fusion restaurant - need to book for this. The most high quality of all restaurant there, this was really enjoyable and a little different to what you may normally have.
We didn't try the Japanese as not keen on suchi, and did not get a chance to try the Italian.

Entertainment - There is enough to do for kids/adults in the day by one of the pools, without being too noisy. There is an evening show at 21:45 which is different every day. Most are worth watching and really well put together. You'll get annoyed by the 'Riu' theme song though!

Wifi coverage was pretty decent all around the hotel.

There is a spa with free jacuzzi, sauna etc. Treatments are expensive - go to Bamboo across the road.

Location - at 8.5KM it is well located in the hotel zone, with a bus stop 2 mins walk away (busses are 9.5 pesos (1USD, £0.4 GBP)

So overall, a stunning hotel, excellent service, amazing food and a brilliant time!

1  Thank Woble
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This has been our 'home away from home' for the past few years, only made more enjoyable with my sister and her husband going with us. We try to come to Cancun several times a year and the Riu Palace Las Americas is where we always stay. Our room is always top notch and CLEAN, complete with in-room bar, soft drinks and bottled water. The great food, impeccable service, overall cleanliness and the sheer beauty of this resort make it such a pleasure to visit. When we decide it's time to take a look-about, we jump on the bus (right outside) and check to see how Cancun has changed in a year's time. And how about that staff? They are the greatest ... always wanting to make sure you have everything you could ever need. Why would we go anywhere else?? Love it!!

Room Tip: Anything from the 4th floor up has a great view from a nice-sized deck. The corner suites are very r...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank George-Fran
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Just got back from a bachelorette party/trip to RIU Palace Las Americas and we had a blast. This was my second trip to Cancun, so I was curious to see how this resort would compare to my stay in Grand Oasis.

The Pros:
• Great staff and service. Even though they couldn't upgrade us, they did move our rooms so we'd all be on the same floor.
• Beautiful views all around. Room tip: Ask to be on a higher floor on the in the 50s (i.e. 553) for an ocean view that you won't have to pay extra to get. This side also smelled less musky than the lower floors.
• The pools are both gorgeous and the staff in the swim up bar were very nice, regardless of tipping.
• The location is very close to the clubs if you're planning to party.

The Cons:
• The hotel hallways hardly get any sunlight, so they smell musky. No idea why they think putting carpet there is a good solution!
• The food is just ok, even at the restaurants with reservations. And they can be a bit ridiculous about the reservations, often we saw the restaurants only half full.
• The resort itself is pretty small, but you do have access to the neighboring RIU Palace.
• The drinks are weak, we had to ask them for triple shots just to get a normal pour of liquor.
• They shut down the pools to clean them around 7pm. At Grand Oasis they cleaned the pools throughout the day and you weren't kicked out at a certain time.

If you've been to Grand Oasis, this place will seem small and less impressive BUT the service is MUCH better. Everyone was courteous, always smiling and very available. You'll never have to hunt someone down to ask a question or get a drink order. The rooms were a bit nicer as well. We had no issues with the plumbing like I did at Grand Oasis. Because we were in party mode it was also appreciated that the rooms have their own wet bar. The last night we were at RIU, we watched the Broadway show they had in the theater and it was just ok. I enjoyed Grand Oasis' acrobatics more.

Some tips for local attractions:
• You can take the R1 or R2 buses right outside of the resort and check out the area on your own.
• This was the first time I actually partied in Cancun and I'd recommend getting the deal with the hotel for The City if you've never done it before. It was awesome having unlimited bottle service and our own VIP area.
• Save yourself some $$ and go to Isla Mujeres on your own. The bus leaves you right in front of the ticket booth for the ferry (ask for Playa Tortuga and the bus driver will let you know when to get off). The ferry is $20 round trip. When we got to Isla Mujeres we rented a golf cart for another $20 and took an awesome self guided tour of the whole island. Awesome views if you head over to the lighthouse!

If you're debating RIU Palace Las Americas vs it's neighbor Hotel RIU Cancun please note that RIU Cancun had a dress code, better food and bit more of an elegant feel to it. Las Americas was more down to earth, fun and less stuffy.

Hope that helps!!

Room Tip: Ask to be on a higher floor on the in the 50s (i.e. 553) for an ocean view that you won't have t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank yedilala
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

I just came back on the 29th, stayed at RIU Palace Las Americas for 7 nights. There are few things I would like to highlight here:

1. I got all nervous after reading some reviews saying their stuffs got stolen from the safe, when we got there, we have no choice but to use it anyway, very soon I found out our cleaning lady is very good, she didn't even touch the tips we purposely left for her, my husband had to find her and hand her the money. The other day I forgot and left my diamond ring in the bathroom, they cleaned my room without taking the ring, they work very hard cleaning our room everyday. My cleaning lady is honest and great.

2. We went to chichen itza with the company right across the hotel, I think they called Dream Tour or something, we were skeptical at first abt how the trip would be, why could they charged just half of what our sunwing representative was asking, ended up they were great, all tour guides speak perfect English, they are very responsible, safe yrself some money, it's so unnecessary to go with yr own reps, they charged u 200% more than this guys.

3. Coco Bongo is a must go place, show and dance together club, ppl on the clubbing area will convince you pay 75$ for going 3 different clubs open bars, pls don't bother. We paid 75$ for just coco, awesome place, spent all night there, love the shows, love the dance, love the atmosphere, we didn't want to leave. Don't get scare by the lineup outside. You will love it :)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We just got back from this hotel after spending 11 nights and I must say the first visit was much better .We was put in room 138 and that night I notice the shower didn't work and the toilet didn't flush .I reported this problem to the reception has I couldn't find our Thompson rep ( Matt ) .Day 4 and we still have the same problem and believe it or not we found Matt the Thompson rep so I shared these issues .The next day they moved us to room 723 .Thats 5 days with out a shower or toilet .The staff and food was amazing and in must mention abundio what a man he his also Carlos .If we never had the problem this Holliday would have been 100%.would I go back don't think I will .

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I couldn't be more pleased with my stay at this hotel. My family and I have been staying at the Riu palace's throughout Mexico for years. We absolutely loved the location of this hotel. I think the best part of our most recent stay was the staff members. All of the members go above and beyond to accommodate you. For the second year in a row, we were thrilled to see Julian. I cannot emphasis enough how wonderful he is and how much he improved our stay at this hotel. We didn't have the best room service and some of the facilities were down but Julian always found a way to improve our impressions of the hotel throughout the day by providing excellent customer service, recommendations, and a welcoming smile.

I also want to mention Felipe. Felipe was a wonderful employee (for the second year in a row). He works very hard and never kept us waiting... for ANYTHING. All of the employees are wonderful but I definitely think Julian and Felipe are some of the best employees at the Riu Las Americas.

As far as the facilities, the elevators were only working about 50% of the time on our side of the hotel. This was frustrating since we were on the 7th floor. We also had to call every day to get our fridge restocked after it was cleaned by housekeeping. This sometimes took at least an hour.

Other than that, this hotel is great and we highly recommend it!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family