“Great hotel & very attentive staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
Ranked #16 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Peterhead, United Kingdom
“Great hotel & very attentive staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have been here for just over a week. The hotel has great character although it will be the next Riu to be updated and modernised. The rooms are large and very clean. The workers within the hotel are always cleaning and look after your every need. Our first room had a side view and on contacting reception we were allocated an ocean view the next day with no problems whatsoever. The food is vey good and always varied. The steakhouse food was to die for and the Mexican offered a varied menu. The hotel is close to nightlife should you wish a change. Cannot fault this hotel in any way, then again, us scots appreciate most things in life not like the Americans who seem to find fault with everything.

Room Tip: Third floor ocean view with huge balcony
5 Thank Lorraine G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is always clean. The staff is awesome I just love the bar tenders. The food at the buffet is very good and they have a big selection. You have to make reservations to eat at the restaurants in the hotel and the spots fill up quickly so you should do it for the whole week or you might not get to eat at one of them. The sports bar and night club was under construction when we was there so there was no night life which I really like night life. No one told us it was closed down we had to ask. Over all the hotel is very nice and the staff is very friendly

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tenesia J
Buford, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Let me start by saying this hotel looks amazing, from the lobby to the pool area. The rooms and linens are definitely dated and all the hallways had a musty/mildew smell. The food was horrible and low grade. My first night there I had dinner at the steak resturant, and whatever they served me was surly not steak! I booked this hotel for 7 nights, but could only deal with the resort for one day. I would say this is more of a hotel for young college kids that don't really care about the hotel itself and is only there to party. I ended up leaving and staying at secrets the vine which was a much better choice! Will not return to the Riu!

Room Tip: The oceanfront rooms are better than the sea view rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

First time writing a review on TripAdvisor.

My partner and I stayed at Riu Palace Las Americas (RPLA) June 20-27th, 2014. This was our second trip to Cancun, our first being at the Grand Oasis and we wanted to upgrade to a more upscale resort. I'll break up into different sections to organize my review.

1. The Hotel
The overall hotel is nice. I'm particularly fond of more modern designs, such as at the Riu Palace Peninsula however the hotel itself looks very nice. The grounds are very well kept and there are always staff cleaning, which results in the building's great appearance. A lot of the décor is quite dated and the hotel itself is pretty small. The grounds are small, but quaint and if you feel like you want a more lively environment you can go over to the Riu Cancun next door.

In terms of hotel location, the hotel is right in the middle of it all. 5 minutes of walking will take you to the main entertainment section of the blvd where Coco Bongo's, etc are located. Across the street also has 2 malls for all your souvenir needs. The hotel is also located on the best part of beach along the strip (more on that later).

2. The Room
We checked into the hotel and the process was quick and seamless. The hotel was not properly represented by our travel company and we were not made aware that only Oceanview suites had king beds. We had spoken with the manager and they instantly gave us a free upgrade to oceanview. The upgrade for us was more for the king bed than the view. Inside the room you were find a large washroom with soaker tub/shower, bed etc. The AC in the room was moderate, however could definitely have been colder. There was a musty smell, however you cannot get away from this in a tropical climate.

Speaking of the bed, it was rock hard. I have slept on beds that are uncomfortable, however the quality of the mattress is not appropriate for the hotel's apparent 5 star rating. After a few nights we got used to the bed, however it was pretty awful.

In the room you will find a mini bar as well as fridge stocked with pop and beer. They came promptly everyday and filled the fridge without ever needing to be asked. We did not use the mini bar very much. Only some rooms get balconies and ours did not come with one. Instead there was a sliding window and if the window is open, the AC will turn off (if you want to hand wet towels, bathing suits, etc).

3. The Beach
As I mentioned earlier, the hotel is located on the best beach of the strip. Unlike the main strip where it gets incredibly wavy and not pleasant to swim, the ocean at the peak of the peninsula (where RPLA is located)is calm, clear and very enjoyable to swim in. The actual length of beach is not that wide, however there are patches of reef where you can snorkel and around the corner, left of the hotel where Fiesta Americana is, there is a very wide beach with no rocks or reef at all. I found the beach to be overall very enjoyable.

4. The Pools
The hotel has 2 pools. There is the pool in the main courtyard which is an infinity pool. There is also the entertainment pool around the corner which has a pool bar and this pool is also an infinity pool. Every day there are activities in the entertainment pool starting at 12 noon. IT was the same routine daily. Volleyball at noon, some aerobics afterwards, etc. Neither of the pools have decent amounts of shade, so for anyone like me who burns very easily, the pool can be a killer.

One main gripe I had with the pool was that neither of them are cold. Like, they are bath water warm. I have been to pools that are on the small end in places like Vegas that are constantly warmed by the sun and they stay cold. However at RPLA, the actual water being pumped into the pool through the fountains was warm. Due to the warm water temperature, it didn't make the pools feel all that refreshing. Speaking of warm, this happened to be the common theme at this resort. The AC was not particularly cold. The pools were not cold. The drinks were not overly cold. The only cold area in this hotel is the main lobby and it is refreshingly frigid.

5. The Food
The restaurant has a number of restaurants to choose from. There is just the one main buffet, Don Roberto, that served breakfast, lunch and dinner. Also at lunch was Los Arcos, which was the Italian restaurant that also served lunch. Beyond the buffet, there are a few a la carte restaurants, which include Sakura (Japanese), Tio Pepe)(Mexican), Los Arcos (Italian), Krystal (Fusion) and El Romero (Brazilian). We only ate at Krystal, Sakura and the buffet.

Krystal was a fusion restaurant. I had some sort of cannelloni dish and smoked beef type meal. The taste was alright. Neither of our dishes were anything to write home about.

Sakura I had the duck breast ramen. IT was not proper ramen, more like clear beef broth wish spaghetti noodles (it wasn't even ramen noodles). I wasn't expecting it to be authentic Japanese by any means. The food here tasted pretty good and was probably one of the better restaurants.

We did not check out the other a la carte restaurants however we heard nothing but bad things about the Mexican restaurant (Tio Pepe) and the Brazilian place.

As for the buffet, every night there was a different theme night. Breakfast was always good as was lunch. There was enough variety with the themed nights that it wasn't overly repetitive however many dishes were recycled daily on the menu. The overall quality of the food at the buffet was surprisingly good. Flavours were good and quality of food was good as well. Food was not a weak point for this hotel, at least in the buffet category.

6. Entertainment
My partner and I are 25 and 30 respectively. We found the resort to be quite boring. Unfortunately the Riu Cancun next door was closed for renovations. This meant no club next door and even exploring the property next door. The nightly entertainment at RPLA was boring and barely had turn out from the hotel guests. The only night that was busy was the magic show night. Entertainment could be better, however there are many options off of the resort if you're looking for a fun night or a party. The resort overall has a very lulled, relaxed feel.

Closing Statements
Overall I feel the hotel was not bad. We got a good deal for the hotel so it was a steal for the price we paid. We feel that we got our money's worth for the most part however felt that we couldn't use the hotel to its fullest, such as using the guest benefits of using the amenities next door at Riu Cancun. Seeing the renovations at the Riu Cancun, it appears that it is being renovated to match the design décor of Riu Caribe and the Peninsula. When renovations are completed, I'd be willing to bet that the Riu Cancun will be a nicer and better stay than RPLA. I hear though the RPLA will be renovated next year. I would not recommend this hotel at peak season prices, however with the price that we got (2200 total Canadian for 7 nights) it was better worth the value.

Overall I feel this hotel is more a 4-4.5 star than a 5.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Andrew B
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Rui Palace las Americas is a great location for young people. It is close to nightclubs, shops, and restaurants. You can walk to these places. The service in the hotel itself if great, the staff is very attentive. This is an all inclusive hotel, make sure you take tip money to tip the workers, they do a lot to keep you happy. Overall, Cancun is very safe, the beaches are beautiful. There is a lot to see and do in Cancun, or you can just stay in the resort in be beach bum. I would recommend this resort!

Room Tip: The rooms are nice, we stayed in the 3rd floor, there was construction going on next the hotel, but...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Claros2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

So I stayed here for 10 days and I loved it. Not everything is perfect but it was an experience that I'll never forget. But let me tell you the small things that other comments don't really tell you that you may want to know.
Like how the TVs are terrible if you're trying to watch something,
the floors are always slippery from mopping
Not that big of a room a service menu
You have to wear a bracelet the whole time you're there and may ruin a tan
A weird smell outside at night time
Pool closes at 7
Beach isn't very big/nice
Good notes: food is very good almost anywhere you go
Close to coco bongo
Awesome kayaking and snorkel but snorkel is only free at the beach right in front of the hotel and there's not much to see
Cool shows at night even for kids
At the main bar ask for "fide" he's a great funny guy.
Good service. If you tip you'll get better service
Pools are clean and have fun activities and music
Rooms are comfy
You can go to any other Riu hotel. Riu peninsula is only a 3 min bus ride down the road. And Riu caribe is right next to it
Same food and service but different experience
I would come back to any of the Riu hotels it was fun and an amazing trip

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
3 Thank jose t
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Me and my wife just got back yesterday from a 5 day stay at this hotel. I must say that our time there was great. The only minor issues where the room such as the bed and pillows. Also it seems like the room was more cold than needed, but no biggie since we didn't spend much time in the room. The staff there were very friendly, especially the drink servers. They work very hard to keep those drinks, and food flowing. Another thing we noticed was how clean the hotel was. They really work hard to give you the best experience. If you book tours go see Cesar Mion down at the main bar downstairs from grayline tours. He is very friendly, and helped us with a our flight departure, and bookings. Also if you're at the bar go see Fide the bartender he is fanastic! Excellent customer service. The main spots for clubs and night life is literally a 10 to 15 minute walk which we did. But if you're not in the mood grab a cab, which should only cost you 10 bucks.

• 3 of 5 bubbles