“Can't wait to go back!”

Ranked #17 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Dallas, Texas
“Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This was my second trip to Cancun with my last trip in 1994. This resort was beautiful! Very clean and pretty. I highly recommend an all-inclusive resort. We had no worries about our meal or drinks and never had to worry while sitting by the pool because someone always came by to offer us a drink. We ate at the Steak House one night which was good but is outdoors and right next to "party" pool and Riu Cancun (construction) so it was rather noisy! The buffet was excellent and offered a wide variety of choices for the pickiest eaters. I cannot say enough about the staff who work so hard and were always available to meet any of our needs. We always saw people cleaning as well.

My only two negative comments would be a slightly hard mattress but I've slept on worse. The lobby has a musty smell that you adjust to but I've heard others say that's common in Cancun.

We booked a tour through Lomas Travel for the Jungle Maya adventure. We took our 12 year old daughter and had a great time snorkeling, swimming in cenotes, rappelling and zip-lining. It was booked with alltournativetours.com which did a great job!

Overall, the best part was sitting in the infinity pool overlooking the ocean with no worries whatsoever. Probably my all-time favorite vacation!

Room Tip: We stayed on 5th floor center. We had a nice lagoon view and overlooked pool and ocean with a balcon...
2 Thank Dawgfan67

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is my 4th time to the Cancun area. On this trip I visited 2 hotels Hard Rock and Riu Americanas in Cancun, so this trip has allowed me to compare two hotels against each other.

Airport Arrival
We arrived at Cancun airport which has been upgraded significantly since I last visited 10 years ago. If you want airport transportation from the airport to your hotel you can just google for it and you can save a significant amount of money. As you walk to the taxi area ignore the other guys saying that you are not allowed to take outside taxies. Our ride for 6 people was $75. It took about an hour which was highway driving.

Arrival Hotel
The hotel arrive wasn't a pleasant experience. They seemed to be understaffed to be able to move lots of people. When we went to the front desk there were plenty of staff looking at terminals, 2 or 3 looking at the same one, but they didn't even look at the people in the line. I hope that they were training these staff because they certainly need it. After checking in there was no bell boy so we had to carry the luggage up ourselves. One of our party upon leaving waited for 1/2 an hour for a bellboy eventually have to carry their luggage out themselves, not a good way to treat newlyweds (not us our friends).

The Riu Hotel must be at least 50 years old, it is very opulent and is kept in a beautiful state. The staff are constantly wiping the floors in the main lobby because of people walking wet in the foyer. The staff are constantly cleaning and you cannot fault them at that.

The rooms are technically nice but they have some difficulties. Our room came with 2 double beds pushed against each other. One of the beds was nice but the other was lumpy and slanted. The bathroom was one room and the bathroom door opened up against the toilet which is unnecessary considering the size of the bathroom. The shower/bath combo was a dark box with the bath tub very narrow. With my size 9 foot it was uncomfortable to turn around without being wobbly. It was also one of those shower/baths that have a drop when you step out. I would be worry if you are heavy or aged getting in and out of the shower.

The killer for me was the wall safe, it was very small and required that you carry a key. I'm sorry but this in not the 1950's anymore. If you lose the key you would be required to pay 650 pesos to replace the key. The safe was so small you could not fit an iPad in it. If you are like me and bring tablets, cameras and a computer, you would worry that your stuff is exposed because you could not put all of that in the wall safe. How convenient that the hotel is not responsible for stolen items. But having to carry the key around my neck like a 10 year old going to school was a royal pain in the neck (haha).

The room had only 2 plug outlets. One in the bathroom, which is not a great place for electronic devices last time I checked and one near the bedside tables. This severely limits your recharging abilities. So if you have a large family with lots of electronics you'll most likely be fighting for the sole plug in the living area, but that brings up another point. Riu only allows 3 people per room. A great revenue generator I'd say.

My rooms view was awesome, I could spend the rest of my life on the balcony just looking over the ocean. I was located on the 7th floor of the building room 730.

Although they keep the hotel in good shape the elevators are really getting on and should be totally refurbished.

The food was what really saved this hotel, it is nothing short of amazing. The buffet actually is what is amazing. We tried 3 of the specialty restaurants to food in each was presented great but in my opinion wasn't all that great. But saying that there were people in our party that raved about the same restaurants. All I can say is the staff in the buffet busted their butts. Even though it was air conditioned they were sweating.

WIFI must have worked through out the hotel because people were constantly attached to their electronic devices. I found that WIFI didn't work all that well on the balcony of the room, no biggie. It worked well enough to make skype calls.

The beach has lovely white sand but I would not recommend it for children, as soon as you go into the water it has shells which makes it painful to get in the water. The water has two steep drop offs as well. This is definitely not good for small children. After about 8 feet into the water it was up to my chest. I recommend walking along the beach to a different hotel where the water is very shallow. If you like swimming the swimming area is good. Not that good for snorkeling, although there are fish out by the white floats.

They have 2 pools which are like baths. The water was not salty and did not have a heavy chlorine presence so women that are prone to yeast infections may want to avoid the pools, especially near the end of the day. There are a few umbrellas for shade but not a lot. The only saving grace is that the hotel casts shadows across the main pool as the day wains.

We visited the Riu Peninsula hotel a 5 minute bus ride (local bus as the hotel does not have shuttles), it is a new hotel. The buffet restaurant had a great view and it was very new. The beach is definitely great for children as it was shallow and not rocky. The pools had a lot more shade coverage and umbrellas. I would definitely recommend people investigating the Riu Peninsula.

Ratings out of 5
* Beach For Swimmers 5
* Beach for Children 0
* Beach for Snorkling 2
* Food 5
* Room 2 (that safe killed the rating)
* Hotel Atmosphere 4
* Lobby/Front Desk Service 2
* Food service 5

The GOOD
Buffet staff was friendly and efficient.
Buffet is amazing
Good WIFI.
No one tried to sell me a timeshare.

The BAD.
The wall safe.
Foyer staff not great.

Room Tip: The higher the better
13 Thank SpottyTraveller
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Overrated and full of loud rude Americans who have no regard for others around them and who treat the staff as second class citizens.

Rooms are small and bathrooms have a tiny bath and no proper shower. Not good for families and our room was directly over the entertainment areas so no sleep until late.

Swimming pools are small and overcrowded and there is no shade on the beach.

What's good - the food and most of the staff. If you want a quiet and peaceful holiday look elsewhere.

12 Thank 23W0rld_traveller
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This was my first ever trip to Mexico and I will definitely be back. The Riu Palace Las Americas is an amazing hotel and exceeded my expectations. The staff were fantastic, so friendly and ALWAYS willing to help no matter what the issue was. They made me feel so welcome and provided a great service. I especially loved how they always brought your drinks to you when lying by the pool, beach and in the bars. There were some drinks that weren't on the drinks menu that they were willing to make. Mango-Tango is a must try!!
The food was very good and there was a lot of choice in the buffet. The restaurants were excellent, but I did have to send a dish back in the Mexican restaurant for being undercooked. They changed this immediately and couldn't apologise enough. The steak house and buffet restaurant were the best in my opinion. The room service was also sufficient and very tasty choices.
The hotel and bedrooms were very clean. There is a smell of damp in the lobby when you first enter but you didn't notice it after a while. I was happy with the standard that was provided.
There is a choice of 2 pools. Again, both pools are very clean and are infinity pools. The pool with the bar is a lot louder and full of young people and was where the animation team were based. They provided a lot of entertainment and made the pool area a lot of fun! The other pool was much quieter and a lot of families sat around there. The only complaint I have is at the beach there were no parasols so very hot down there during the day with no shade. The beach was beautiful and clean though.
Couldn't speak higher of this hotel and offered a fantastic service. It is in a great location and roughly a 10 minute walk from all the big clubs such as Coco Bongo, Senor Frogs, Hard Rock Cafe and has a shopping centre across the road.
There are a lot of trips to do which can be booked with the reps within the hotel. I recommend Xplor, VIP seats in Coco Bongos and Jungle Mayian Tour which includes driving a speedboat through the mangroves and snorkelling in the Caribbean sea. If you are up for exploring the local night life the animation team take you to different clubs every night which made you feel safe and you are with someone with good local knowledge.

Room Tip: We requested a sea view room before we arrived which we got. Rooms on 7/8 floor are not guaranteed t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank xLozx2014
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at riu palace for a week in a junior suite and absolutely loved everything about this hotel.
The pools were clean and inviting. The staff was so attentive and most could speak english which helped us australians. The entertainment staff made laying by the pool an enjoyable experience. The rooms were clean and had a full stocked mini bar aswell as full bottles of alcohol.
Food was AMAZING!!!!!
We stayed in another resort for a week before this and riu palace mopped the floor with the previous resort.
Location is great for shops and all the major clubs.
I 100% reccommend riu palace to anyone of all ages.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank syd1989
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This was an all inclusive package, booked directly through Riu.Com, saved about 400$ with flight and hotel, 7 nights Friday to Friday out of Austin, Tx. direct flight. Hotel gave us an upgrade from jr. suite to 2 room suite ocean view. Food was great, good selection at buffet, went to 2 of the specialty restaurants, Japanese and Fusion both where excellent. Drinks at all bars were very good sometimes asked for extra shots in mixed drinks. The beer served was Dos XX. Pool bar was fabulous but get there early to get a lounge chair , just lay a towel on it , pool entertainment was fun. Don't bother with Market 28 its not that better on savings, the little shop across the street next to "OXXO" was just as cheap ask for Carlos real nice guy, and there's a shopping mall just down the street. Better to have Mexican money other than US dollars. The rumor is that this hotel is going under renovation in the next month or so, but the Riu Cancun next door is about to reopen after its renovation, the beach area at it looks better.

1 Thank lokey46
NJ
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My girlfriend and I were here September 2013. (We were just talking about it now, as we're getting ready for this September's trip) For perspective, we are in our 40s. We heard good things about this place from others, and had already stayed at a Riu Palace in Rivera Maya. Everything was perfect. The resort was beautiful, very white and clean, and had everything you need. The room was excellent in our 14th floor ocean front, with a nice breeze and a beautiful view to wake up to. The pool, the beach, and the restaurants were all excellent. Reservations at the a la cartes were easy to make, walk up to the desk, someone was there most of the business day. Drinks and wines were ok/good, with a decent variety of Mexican beers (incl. Bohemia, Modelo Negro, others). It's a relatively small place, so everything is right there in the "square," a short walk, unlike many all-inclusives that are spread out. This is right on the main street, with shops outside the front door if you want to try some other food, massages (very reasonable), and cerveza! We took a few walks, and even made it down to the club area of Cancun for a wild night. There's another Riu next door available to you, which is bigger, with additional amenities, like a club/disco, sports bar, etc. We like the Riu Palace line. We never repeat an all-inclusive resort (we go twice a year), but this is definitely one we highly recommend. Cheers!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple