“Economical, comfortable, clean, conviently located and a great place to stay.”

Colonial Cancun Hotel
Ranked #130 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 13 March 2011

My wife and I just returned from Cancun, while we were there we stayed at the Colonial Cancun Hotel and it was a lot more than we expected for the price. We had a king room on the ground floor and it was air conditioned, spacious and clean. The staff was courteous and went out of their way to accommodate our needs. The hotel was located in the middle of the block on a “walk only” street and there was no noise at night. The continental breakfast was something I did not expect; toast, fruit, yougart, juice and coffee. There was always an employee there who made up everything for you, he put my toast in as soon as he saw me come out of my room. All in all I consider this hotel a great place to stay and a great value for the money.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank russmozier

Reviewed 13 February 2011

We stayed the first and the last nights of our holidays upon arrival and departure.The hotel is very cheap and well located, owners are helpful and nice. New rooms on the 2nd floor are ok. Good for tight budgets and short stay. Breakfast is awful:)

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Phildelf
Reviewed 19 December 2010

We only stayed in this hotel for one night. It was ok - the room was relatively clean with an ensuite and a TV. The staff were helpful when we asked them questions. We did have 2 random people come into our room without knocking so I'm not sure what that was about. If you want to stay in downtown cancun its in a good location. The internet wasnt working when we were there (only wifi)
It is an ok hotel - nothing special particularly but not awful. I probably would recommend not going to Cancun if you want to experience the real Mexico.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank underthetropicalsun
Reviewed 2 October 2010

My gf and I stayed here the first nights of our trip this summer to (mexico and belize). The price had gone up since our booking by quite a bit but because we had booked 3-4 months before hand we got it for the price we did then (was really great the receptionist could see that).

Anyway, the location is so so. It's close to shopping and lots of restaurants and the ADO Bus terminal which was great.

If you're one to have some of the continental breakfast make sure you're there at 0700 exactly otherwise you won't behaving anything to eat.

The rooms are ok, nothing spectacular but you wouldn't expect that for the price. One thing that did annoy us was that other residents in the hotel are very noisy and loud throughout the night.

Also, one night the receptionist felt he was bored or something and would be playing loud music which could be heard throughout the whole hotel, so sleep that night was definitely not going to happen.

All in all, you get what you're paying for. As for the noise, bring some ear plugs and you should be fine.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2010

For a Cancun vacation, you can't beat a package deal with airfare and an all-inclusive in the hotel zone. But if you want flexibility to travel to other cities( or countries), like hanging around with more locals than tourists, and don't want to spend the majority of your time at the beach, you may choose to stay at a downtown hotel like this one.
I have stayed at this hotel 15-20 times in the last 15 years. I am going to Cancun next month, and will likely stay there again. That said, there is nothing about it which would make me recommend it highly to other travellers. If you want to stay in downtown Cancun, and are on a very tight budget, it's about the best choice. While certainly not fancy or spotless, the location is fairly central for downtown stores and bars, it's tolerably clean, and doesn't make you feel unsafe. I have paid around $40 a night, depending on the season and whether or not I wanted AC. There are several nicer options in the $60 range, and some very sleazy places for $25-$30, but this is the best you can do for $40. Twice locals had noisy late-night parties in the fountain downstairs, and a few times I slept on my beach towel rather than touch the sheets, but I consider those sort of things minor.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank GuarapoconRon
Reviewed 24 August 2010

Poor service, terrible room, awful location, not even a window, let alone a room with a view!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Slartibartfarst
Reviewed 24 May 2010

My wife and i stayed there two nights. The room was clean ad the rate was $41.00US. It was just off the main drag. There was no on site restaurant, but there were some on the same street as the hotel. A large park was nearby with many activities and vendors. There was noisy construction going on while we were there but it did not go on too late. No internet but the manger said it was being installed. This hotel is not for everyone. But it got the job done for us.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple