“Bliss at the beach” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
“Bliss at the beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

We returned from a long weekend at Nizuc a week ago. I wish it could have been longer! Everything was considered to make our stay the most relaxing possible. Anything we needed was easily and eagerly taken care of by our outstanding butler Alfonso, a true gem. Alfonso clearly understands how to make you feel like a treasured guest. He was always available by phone or in person for any questions we had or things we needed, from dinner reservations, to extra towels, to making plans inside and outside the resort. Instead of calling housekeeping for towels, or the concierge for plans etc, you have one person to call and he takes care of everything! So easy! Just another level of relaxation for our vacation. He actually came to the beach to find us to see what time we wanted our dinner reservation. Incredible!
The decor is truly outstanding, but earthy and real, so cleverly done. Everywhere you look there is a spectacular view or a piece of unusual furniture or accent to look at. I was snapping pictures all over the place! We were double-upgraded to a garden view suite, a lovely, large room with a private view and our own plunge pool (think the size of a hot tub, but not hot). Very Zen, ultra-relaxing. Also very large, with a large sofa, table and two chairs, and a long bench the length of the bed, not to mention the desk area which got some use (there is no such thing as being completely away from work these days, is there?) The bathroom was almost as large as the room (!) and included a gorgeous, comfortable tub, all stone shower, two sinks, just fantastic all around.
The best place is the beach, a swath of so soft sand and a line of beach chairs and umbrellas. The main beach is very quiet as it's in a cove. The water is stunning colors of blue and green and you can walk out for what seems like a mile and the water is just up to your knees. Great for waders like me. If you want to swim you can go to the adult beach around the bend, the water is a little choppier there, more like an ocean that a pool, but we loved the main beach. For a dip, we walked the few steps to the infinity pool, large and beautiful, all done in black tile so it seems to disappear. Can you tell I am in love with this place?
Our travel agent arranged for breakfast included and it was terrific, amazing selection for all appetites and diets, fruit, vegetables, eggs, pancakes, green and fruit juices, large selection of fresh bread and pastries. We definitely got the best deal by going through an agent, and I did join iPrefer as a previous poster recommended and that may be why we go the double upgrade (one from the agent, one from iPrefer).
We liked Terra Nostra, probably the most relaxed and price friendly of all the restaurants. We had dinner there twice, the service was happy and excellent and they bring you lovely appetizer tastings and even free champagne one time! I am still not sure about the tipping situation, we just tipped whenever we were happy which was ALL THE TIME.
One night we left the resort to shop for some souveniers, big mistake. I had never been to Cancun which is a loud and boisterous party place. If I had known that I doubt I would have ever come to Nizuc. I am so glad I did since this is the polar opposite of the party city. We did not find anything to buy and were so glad to return to the resort. There is a lovely shop in the airport called Los Cinco Soles, more like an open market in the center of the terminal. I found great stuff there at reasonable prices. If you want to bring stuff back but don't want to waste your vacation shopping, leave a little extra time to shop here on your way home.
I have to give a shout out to Antonio and Hector who served us so pleasantly on the beach. Both were great and made our vacation that much more relaxing. I think it was Hector who pointed out that Nizuc has the only beach in Cancun that faces west, so if you like to watch the sunset at the beach, this is the place.
I have never posted on TripAdvisor before, but I had to add my kudos to this fabulous resort. I hope to be lucky enough to return.

Room Tip: We were in building 6, an 8 minute walk from the beach which gave us a little excercise when we didn...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Allyson P
NIZUC R, Director de Relaciones Públicas at NIZUC Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Distinguished Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at NIZUC Resort & Spa.

Your comments encourage us to keep improving every day. Please be sure we will share your review with Alonso, Antonio and Héctor.

Hope to have you visiting us soon.

Our best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

This is hands down the most incredible place! The customer service, atmosphere, food and beach are five star. I would recommend couples and adults to go there- it's not really a kid place as the beach isn't huge and the crowd is very adult. It's a relaxing and indulgent place not a cancun party spot. Also you should know they charge your credit card a pending fee about double what you plan to spend- obviously it's a cancelled transaction once you check out and pay but several people were a little upset about the high pending transaction. Over all i would go here any chance it get!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Distinguished Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at NIZUC Resort & Spa. Your comments encourage us to keep improving every day.

Hope to have you visiting us soon.

Our best regards,
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Key positives - Beautiful pool, generally friendly staff, beautiful grounds, very near Cancun airport, pavilion villa is worth the extra, decent food.

Key issues - Beach is small, shallow,still and full of weeds, very anal staff - we tried to order snacks from the bar at the Peruvian restaurant next door but were told that this was impossible as it would ruin the integrity of the Peruvian restaurant, I asked for spaghetti bolognese through room service even thought was not on the menu and was told that was ok, but just this one time and was told not to ask for bolognese again, butler told us he would deliver coffee to room at 7am - when he didn't on first day I called him at 7:45 he said that I had asked for a 7:30 delivery and when I pointed out regardless, it was 7:45 he admitted he was late to work, but did send a bottle of wine, concierge was fairly efficient but not friendly.

Conclusion - much better than the Ritz but go to the Banyan Tree Mayakoba for a better villa and far better service - the first waiter I met there said you don't have to look at menu, we'll make you whatever you want and provide food from any of our restaurants - quite the contrast and the Mayakoba beach is far superior.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dvai G
Distinguished Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at NIZUC Resort & Spa.
We do apologize if we did not fulfilll your expectations. Your comments help us to improve our service.

Hope to receive you again at NIZUC in the near future,

Our warmest regards,
Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed there for five perfectly beautiful days in mid February. The resort strives for a mayan / zen theme. Lots of water, wood & fire. The resort is okay during the day, but is much more elegant in the evening with the soft lights accentuating the details.

The Hotel lobby and our room was nicely appointed. We stayed in bldg nine (the furthest tower from the lobby). There are four towers and other two story bldgs. When we were on our room balcony, the noise from the road was extremely loud (the resort is only 10 minutes from the airport, but the traffic drowns out any plane noise). The grounds left a lot to be desired as they were very green, but without any color (i.e. - no flowers of any sort on the grounds). The towers all had peeling paint on the outside. The towers from the road side (all the rooms face the water and not the road) actually reminded me of the "Tombs: in Manhattan (an infamous tall detention center in the lower part of Manhattan). Very plain - literally slabs of concrete, broken up with wood.

Our room was quite nice and spacious (we stayed in an Oceanview Junior Suite - with a little plunge pool on the 4th floor). Upon entering the room, we immediately smelled cigarette smoke (very over whelming), our concierge/butler noticed it but did nothing until we called and complained about it . The room was missing all its paintings on the walls and there were no plants on the balcony (similar rooms across from us all had plants on their balcony). They tried to alleviate the cigarette smell by placing an air filter machine in the room to no avail and we were never offered an opportunity to switch room until the fourth & last night (and it was even guaranteed - they offered to see if there were any rooms available). Dont bother with this room, the plunge pool came up to right above my knees and was kinda cold. Not even sure why you would want something like that in your room (I believe the tub in the bathroom may actually be deeper than the plunge pool). Down below (when you looked down from our balcony) the grounds of towers had a lot of discarded construction waste strewn all over the place. There appeared to be a small pool on the ground floor of Bldg 8, surrounded by this construction debris - so much debris that if I stayed in that room, I would have refused to utilise that pool.

Aside from the aforementioned issues, our room was very tastefully decorated. Tall ceilings and doors (although the door into the bathroom never stayed opened), fixtures were high quality. The bathroom was was superb, although it did lack adequate lighting (I would imagine most women would hate this aspect of the bathroom, as my wife did). House Cleaning was excellent - replacing towels twice daily. There was also turn down service in the evenings.

The pools were quite nice. There's a family pool and the service can be hit or miss, depending on who your waiter was (we had a terrible one for two days and an amazing one for three days). The adult pool is great, but has a total of 8 or 10 lounge chairs - wtf,! So if you would like to be at this pool - get up at the crack of dawn to reserve one of the 8 or 10 chairs (btw - there are additional chairs on the beach by the adult pool, but only 10 at the pool itself). The beach is essentially a bay. You can utilise the paddle boards, kayaks & snorkel equipment the resort makes available ( FYI - the resort adds a 10% resort fee for having this equipment - even if you dont avail yourself to them). Snorkeling is kinda boring - not a whole lot to see (plenty of fish to view - but I saw exactly two species).

The lounges/bars are okay - not exactly any hot spots. We tended to gravitate to the Havana Room (it's a cigar bar). They made very good mojitos and the lounge was nicely decorated (the inside of the bar was the perfect smoking room decor and outside they had had a sunken sitting area that was quite nice at night). The bar at the Terra Nostra is beautiful - but we went there twice, one time there was a private party (so we were not allowed in) and one night we were the only ones in this place.

The restaurants: We tried Ramona's the first night. The service was excellent, but the food was at best, average (although my wife did enjoy her ceviche appetizer). I had the foie gras and the chilean sea bass - both just blah (how can any decent chef screw up foie gras!). So for US $300, we had a barely average dinner for two. After this dinner, we decided to go off the resort for dinner the remaining nights (FYI - Les Cepages and Du Mexique are amazing!). I did over hear some people sitting next to us at the pool, the next day saying that their dinner at Ramona's was excellent, blah, blah, blah and one gentleman exclaimed that the chilean sea bass was the best he ever had. My thought was this guy must believe the Olive Garden is a gourmet restaurant. I really do believe if people spend a lot of money on a meal, they want to believe the meal was excellent - but this is not the case. Please note, we're not food snobs. I just lived in NYC for 40 years and have travelled around the globe and we know what is good and what is not - and this restaurant was just not worth the expense (again - the service was great!) The breakfast buffet was solid. If you wanted eggs, you were required to order an omelet as the scrambled eggs they put out were always old & cold. The service was superb, especially for a buffet. The restaurant at the main pool was average and the drinks very very weak. Again service could be hit or miss. FYI - The resort adds a 12.8% service charge for all food & alcohol tabs. This service charge supposedly is split among all the wait staff at the establishment. So we always added an additional 15 - 20% to every tab, as that tip went directly to the our waiter(s). I believe the buffet was approximately US $40 per person (our bfast was included in our plan).

The food and booze are extremely expensive for what you receive. Youre paying gourmet prices for maybe average food. At the pool restaurant, a burger (and it's just average) was about US$20, ceviche was about US$20 and an octopus burger was about $25 . The very weak drinks at the pool were between US$ 10 - 25. And yes, a bottle of water is about $10. Wine is truly expensive and their selection at the bars and restaurants is below par.

The resort is suitable for adults and children 5 and under (they have a kids club - really only for very young children). I do believe the resort is not very exciting for any child over 5. I know our two teenage sons (ages 16 & 13) would have been bored to tears if they had accompanied us. (there's only so much one can paddle board, kayak and snorkel in a day - without being bored). Do yourself and your teenagers a favor and do NOT bring them to this resort!

The spa is nice, but not nearly world class as the resort claims (and extremely expensive when compared to similar resorts in Mexico).

The service is world class (as you walk the grounds - every worker stops puts their hand over their heart and makes a little bow. It's a little over the top for my taste, but a nice touch). The front desk, concierge, butler, and most of the wait staff are truly excellent.

So why did I rate this resort average to poor (I would probably give it 2.5 stars). It claims to be a 5 star, but the truth is, aside from the service - it falls way short. A five star resort would not have average restaurants. nor construction debris strewn around the grounds, peeling paint on all buildings, nor having missing art work or plants in the rooms, or have a room reek of smoke and not offer to move you. It's those little touches that make a resort a 5 star one and they fall way short. One Trip Advisor reviewer said it was just a very small step below Los Palmlla - really? I dont mean to sound harsh, but I have been fortunate to have stayed at Palmilla a few times, and Nizuc is light years away from the elegance of Palmilla. In fact, I strongly prefer the Ritz Carlton in Cancun over Nizuc.

So after reading this review and other reviews, youre still inclined to stay here - have a travel agent book the room for you. You will still pay the same price for a room as you would if you booked it on their website, but you'll get certain upgrades and inclusions (we rec'd daily bfast, transportation from the airport and some additional spa credits that we would not have rec'd if we booked it ourselves).

Room Tip: We had a OceanView Jr suite with a plunge pool. It was a tastefully decorated room and the bathroom...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank drbrooks19
NIZUC R, Director de Relaciones Públicas at NIZUC Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at NIZUC Resort & Spa.
We focus in making every guest stay a memorablel experience. We do apologize if we did not fulfill your expectations. Your comments are valuable for us since they help us to keep improving our service.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I am SO glad I chose this hotel. It's the only place I've stayed that I can't wait to go back to (usually I like trying somewhere new).

First of all, it's an easy 2 hour flight from Dallas followed by a smooth 10 minute cab ride from the airport - very accessible.

Second, the service is so nice it's almost embarrassing. One of the girls in our group commented that she was uncomfortable with the way all the staff stop and sort of bow to you when you pass (I rather enjoyed it and just returned the gesture). If you walk out of any building a golf cart immediately drives up to take you wherever you are headed. If you ask anyone (even a gardener as I found out) for directions (even to the bathroom), they personally escort you to your destination. At the spa, an attendant kept magically appearing from nowhere to ask if I needed a towel or a scalp massage or a tea. At check in even with our chaotic group and several others checking in, there were plenty of concierges to help, welcome drinks and towelettes for us all, and a detailed tour of the grounds.

Third, the facilities (rooms, restaurants, spa) are divine. It's the only beach resort where I have been tempted to just lounge in the room. The Four Seasons and Ritz can compete on service perhaps, but there's only so much you can do with an older building. This place is impeccable, like a cross between a natural history museum and a Zen spa garden. Soaring ceilings, clean lines, modern architecture perfectly blended with the natural surroundings. And seriously, go to the spa. The downside is that you'll be ruined for life. As my sister put it "now any other steam room I ever see will just seem like a dirty bathroom."

The Rooms:
I had the cheapest room option with a garden view room, my mom got upgraded to the penthouse ocean view suite, and our group had 2 more garden view rooms too. All of them were fantastic and we all received excellent service from our building's butler Rodrigo. He went above and beyond on every request, even offering to gift wrap the thank you present we got my mom at the end (which he just happened to see), and helping my friend pick out an outfit while he politely waited for her roommate to finish showering so he could address something with the bathroom safe. They leave gourmet Mexican candies in the room each day, the shower heads are great, the patios are huge and private...and honestly the inside of the suite was exactly the same (maybe slightly bigger) as the garden rooms. It had a huge outdoor terrace with a shower, plunge pool, lounge sofa and table. It was great for us as a group for gathering, but if you don't need that space for something then just reserve the lowest end option. We all had ocean views and all rooms seem to face the water, so unless you are on the first floor and right in front of some brush you will probably have an ocean view regardless of the stated room type.

I could go on and on (I just texted my sis today that I miss Hector, our glorious beach attendant), but suffice it to say you won't regret booking this place. I only hope I make it back before they raise the prices too much.

Room Tip: All rooms face the water, so unless you are on the first floor even the "garden view" room...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Elizabeth G
Distinguished Guest,

Thank your for sharing your experience at NIZUC Resort & Spa. We focus in making every guest stay a memorable experience.
We appreciate your comments and hope to have you visiting us again in a near future.
Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

My husband & I spent a WONDERFUL week at Nizuc. We received the finest service we've ever gotten! The staff couldn't do enough for us.
We were welcomed by Margerita who attended to our every request. The
guys who were serving the beach were actually like "beach butlers".
The food was great and the restaurants beautiful. Our suite was fabulous, spotless and well stocked. We will definitely return! The staff should be commended. That spa was unbelievable. 5 STARS

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Maryann S
Thank you for sharing your experience at NIZUC Resort & Spa.
We appreciate your comments since they help us to keep improving our service every day.

We will be glad to have you visiting us again in a near future.

Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Beautiful hotel and location. Employees all delightful and professional. Our room overlooked the mangrove marsh, and the birds in the morning were great. Watched stingrays and schools of fish in the march canal. We hope to return.

Maybe the best breakfast buffet I have experienced!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the mangrove marsh, for birds and sea life!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank PacPete
Thank you for sharing your experience at NIZUC Resort & Spa.

We will be glad to have you visiting us again in a near future.
Please receive our warmest regards,