“It was good, but I won't be back”

NIZUC Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Long Island, New York
“It was good, but I won't be back”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

The positives:
The room. We had an ocean view room with floor to ceiling windows and a balcony. We were staying on the first floor nearby the Indochine restaurant in the main lobby area. Bathroom and changing area is quite big as well. You get a shower and a tub, though we haven't used our tub, as it looked a bit on the flimsy side.
The ambiance. When you arrive at the resort, you feel like you entered a fortress with high walls, and then the receiption entrance opens up with serene views of infiinity pools. This resort is there so you could relax, lay on the beach, sleep, read a book.
The service was outstanding, everyting is with a smile and a afterword "...my pleasure". Any issues, the concierge or butler can assist you.
The spa. Yes it is serene and calming, but the price is $270 US for an aromatherapy massage and 16% servicing charge and 5% resort fee on top of that is outrageous. We had 2 massages and the total came out to about $690 US.
Fitness center is quite big, has lots of machines, they provide water and fruits.
The negatives:
The food was average at best. Some other reviewers were speaking highly of the restaurants here, but for me the only decent place worth mentioning was Terra Nostra (the medittarenean place). This restaurant is tagged away in the end of the resort so you would not wander in there by accident. Every other place is not worth your money. The portions are tiny and the taste is not that great. On top of that they charge you like you're dining in New York in a fine dining establisment.
The activities:
The activities are non-existant. I guess this place is only 1 year old and still needs to improve on that front. There was only a few. I really liked jazzersize by Millissa, stretching by the beach was also good. There is no entertainment crew like in many other places. No shows, no music.
The beach was not that great. It had a lot of sea weed and was really shallow, so you had to go about 100 meters in to actually swim.
All in all it was a good vacation. I got plenty of sleep. Other than that, I was missing the shows in the evening, the good food and daytime activities.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank irina089
NIZUC R, Director de Relaciones Públicas at NIZUC Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 12 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at NIZUC Resort & Spa.
We appreciate your comments. This helps us to keep improving every day. We apologize for not fulfilling your expectations.

We hope to have you among our distinguished guests again in a near future.

Please receive our best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Dallas
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Just returned from 8 days at Nizuc Resort. Positives: best service I've ever had anywhere in 40 years. Not just a little better than the best -- the service was in a superior range far surpassing any enjoyed before. In a class by itself: at the beach, in the room when something was needed, during room service, at the kids' area, at the front desk, in the golf carts for transportation....everywhere.

Next positive: the room. We had a "beach front suite" with 2 double beds (or queen). They're too small for an adult parent and a teenager, but worked well as follows: dad alone, mom with 6 yr old, 9-yr-old in a roll away. Ceilings were approx 17 feet tall -- wonderfully big, spacious room, beautifully appointed in a minimalist design without clutter or unneeded ornamentation. Free (included) Nespresso machine. Free bottle Evian daily if needed for Nespresso machine. 2 free (included) bottles of Figi Spring water in the bathroom daily for teeth brushing, etc. for us foreigners. I personally used the sink water the whole time and had no problems. Thick, nice towels that easily fit around a 240 lb man (this is a plus! for us big guys). Large looking bath (see others' photos) but bottom of bath is 4' long, so it "cradles" you as my wife put it. I used the shower (great water pressure!) the whole time. Marble where nice, colored cement or tile elsewhere. Zen feel and look.

In sum, the upside is very comfortable physically and well taken care of, super well taken care of.

Potential area of concern: the hotel is arranged as buildings down the coast line. It's a long walk from end to end - easily 20 minutes or more. They solve this issue by providing golf cart service to shuttle back and forth. One restaurant is at the far end, but all the rest is at the front end where the lobby is. They did a beautiful job. We always called for a cart when wanting to leave the room. Cart was either immediately there when we walked out of elevator or there within 1 minute usually. Same with return from lobby, beach, or restaurants. I only twice waited on a cart: once for 22 minutes and once for 18 minutes. Same day. I had to go back to the room for some meds and back to the beach. Both ways were horrible waits. I found it this was during check-in time when they use carts to shuttle guests to their rooms. Lesson: Don't need a cart from around 1-3 pm and you'll be fine. Hence: great but not always.

Another plus: though their system is set up to charge for internet access, as of this writing it was included in the room price. They do a good job here of not nickel and diming you. Free, accessible, reliable internet was a real plus for me and many others around the pool.

Another plus: Most resorts have a small pool and far too many people for that pool. Nizuc does an excellent job re: people volume v. pool capacity. They have a baby pool about 14" deep on one end and maybe 8" deep on the other. Great for infants and toddlers. There is another pool for adults only on the adults-only part of the beach that faces the ocean. The main pool is unrestricted, flat bottomed all the way across at about 5 feet deep. Nice hang over to look out over the bay, swim-up bar, 54 lounge chairs and 10 little bungalows. I never had to "make a reservation" like so many other Cancun resorts. We always had a bungalow, even once when arriving "late" around 11AM. There are two other areas that contain 4 bungalows and 4 chairs each overlooking the bay. Beautiful surroundings, and drinks and food were easily and quickly ordered and delivered. Magnificent experience in this regard.

Issue: the adults-only beach faces the open ocean and is fine. We looked at it, but couldn't bring the kids. The "anybody" beach faces the bay or inlet. The ocean is much calmer making it ideal for young ones, but boring to teens and not calming/gorgeous for adults. The view is of another side of the bay which is wet-n-wild and some other places. If you're looking for a beautiful view, this isn't it. I didn't care -- the kids were happy.

Issue: there's a 10% resort fee added when you book directly with the hotel. This fee is waived if you find an agency deal. There are no amenities like a resort here, so I asked at the front desk when checking out what "resort amenities this fee addresses" and was told that it was "basically an additional tip for the whole place". Hum. This leads to my negative list:

Negative 1: They have canoes for 1 or 2 (plastic and lightweight) as well as paddle boarding. Nothing motorized. If it's not checked out, you can borrow it. Appropriately, parents sign a waiver for minors. That's it. That is the sum total of the beach activities. This did not bother me as we weren't traveling with teens but with a 6 and 9 yr old. For those looking for a resort with lots of fun things to do or rowdy teens who aren't happy reading a book or playing with their electronic games all week, this isn't it.

Negative 2: I have several medical conditions that require a cool to cold room. You'll see in the many reviews below by others two A/C comments. One lady says it worked "GREAT" and another lady said she couldn't get it below 88.5 degrees F. Both are misleading and incomplete. The thermostat has a governor on it so that the lowest setting is 88.5. That does not mean the room will cool to that temp. It only means the A/C will shut off when that temp is reached. After monitoring when I could and could not go to sleep and the outside temp, I discovered that the units are not appropriately suited to the sq footage of the room by US standards. The max the A/C can do is 6 degrees cooler than the outside temp. Therefore, on the days when the outside was 73 degrees at midnight, our room was a wonderful 67 degrees. On the day when it was 84 degrees at 3AM and dropped to 81 at 4AM, our room cooled to 75 degrees which is still hot and sweaty for me. Keep in mind this is Spring and the winds are wonderfully strong and cooling and the humidity is low. In the summer where the temp in the middle of the night is commonly in the high 80s and the humidity is 90%+, I would not be able to sleep at this resort. If you can sleep with a room temp in the high 70s, you won't have a problem here.

Negative 3: Restaurants: none are Zagat rated, so I'll attempt to explain. On service: they get 29 out of 30 points. A few times the waiter forgot something after being asked twice. On decor: they get 20 out of 30. It's minimalist but lovely and not particularly on-theme. On cost to value ratio: they get 10 out of 30 because the cost far outweighs the quality and portions. On food: they get 15 out of 30 because on average it's middle of the road. In sum for lunch and dinner, be prepared to spend like you're at a fine dining restaurant in Chicago or NYC, but the portions are (to give comparative examples) 25% smaller than Olive Garden and 65% smaller than Cheesecake Factory (not exaggerating). Sometimes we left hungry, and never happily because we paid so much for so little mediocrity. A few specifics: in the Chinese restaurant, the menu brags that the Chef has worked in far away lands like Japan and the Philippines (etc.) but on close inspection the menu doesn't say if he worked in a kitchen. There's no mention of whom he worked under or even in what position. The Pad Thai wasn't the worst we ever had -- it simply wasn't Pad Thai. A small bowl of noodles, 7 small slivers (approximately 1/8 inch wide) of a bell pepper, no other vegetables, and some random soy sauce with uncooked garlic chunks. That's not Pad Thai. I found it inedible, and the waiter happily took it away without credit or replacement or noticing. We'd just arrived so I didn't insist. I should have, but didn't. He also never asked how the food was upon/shortly after delivery. A veal dish in another restaurant was nicely done but with four smallish medallions of extremely thin-pounded veal, I left hungry. Not sure if the sauce was supposed to be Bordelaise or not. It was okay. Meal for 4: over $250 without drinks. Average lunch: $150 without drinks. This brings me to breakfast: you CAN order from a menu. My eldest wanted pancakes. Approx $10 for pancakes (nothing else....just 3 pancakes on a plate) didn't make a lot of sense. I wanted him to have milk ($6) and some fruit (can't recall price) so by the time you did this a la carte dance, you were close to what they charged for the buffet which makes a lot more sense. As of this writing, the buffet for children is 225 pesos which is $17.30 US for kids plus the 12% "service" they add on there bringing it to $19.38 before additional gratuity. For adults, the math is: 450 pesos which is $34.61 plus 4.15 service = $38.76 before tip. So, for a family of 4 with two young kids, the breakfast is US $116.30 before additional gratuity. Food in sum: I am certain the investors have a $125 target per person for food daily before drinks. Too many of my dinner checks came out within $1 (!) of the exact same amount of the dinner bill at a different on-property restaurant. It was really strange. This is where some of the reviews below come up with their $1000/day comments. The room was $440 (including the resort fee) per day, food was around $520/day and there you have it. Keep in mind, if you really like to drink on vacation (and many of us do) a cheap (in the States $9) bottle of wine will set you back $55++. The good news: a beer is only around $5 per can (but so is a Coca-cola!) A few beers during lunch and at the pool, and a cocktail and bottle of wine at dinner: add another $140+ per day for moderate on-vacation alcohol consumption.

Negative 4: There are no ice machines so you have to call "the butler". The butler is downstairs but also has no access to ice. He has to order it. Getting ice routinely takes 20 minutes or more. Other people actually delivered it usually. The evening butler introduced himself officially to me when we were leaving, lingering oddly hoping for a tip though he'd never done anything for me that I was aware of. I always tipped the person who actually brought me the ice. After interviewing one of them who identified himself as a butler, he told me they were responsible for immediately replacing light bulbs or curtain rods that fell, etc......he was able to rattle off a long list of his duties. In sum, they were on-the-spot maintenance people, not like a real butler who could at any moment supply ice, a towel or something else needed.

Not a big deal, but sort of makes you go "hum": Several of the buildings had large areas of cracks that had been puttied up but not textured so when painted you could see all the cracks on the side of the building. 3 (or 4?) buildings had large places (a dozen or more as large as 4 feet swaths) where the paint had chipped off. Keep in mind, this resort is hardly a year old and the paint's chipping off. A piece of wood was ripped off the wood screen on the landing of our floor. The chipping paint was so prevalent I wondered if they went with the lowest bidder who used inferior quality paint. I felt badly for the resort because clearly they'd paid lots of money for someone to paint these buildings and the paint's already chipping.

Summation: it was a really lovely place that doesn't invest in highly regarded chefs but rather has a cooks in the kitchens that deliver small portions of not-so-good food. There are too many places in the Caribbean and Mexico of equal and better quality of food, but few with a service standard as high. The rooms were fabulously large and comfortable -- better than most...anywhere. It would be a trade-off. The A/C would keep me away in all but the coolest of months.

Room Tip: The room was worth the money. The food was not. Hence value is average. Sleep quality was excelle...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank FamilyMan1963

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at NIZUC Resort & Spa.
We appreciate your comments, as they help us to keep improving every day.

Hope to have you among our distinguished guests again in a near future.

Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I’ve listed the positives and negatives below. Some of the negatives I acknowledge the hotel can’t do anything about (like the clientele or the beach), but the very biggest complaint I have, and which they CAN do something about, is that they sent two repairman to work on our shower our last night there right at our children’s bedtime. We got back to the room after dinner, ready to bathe a very tired 2 and 5-year-old so we could get them in bed immediately in preparation for a 4 a.m. flight the next morning, to find our shower door laying on the floor and two strange men hammering away in the bathroom. Even after we made it clear this wasn’t a good time - the kids were standing there waiting to bathe, we were moving around them at the vanity trying to collect our things so we can pack - they STILL didn’t leave. What hotel - especially one that charges these kind of prices and goes to the great lengths Nizuc goes to to come off as “five star” - tears apart the shower in the evening, in a room where two young children are staying???

Nonetheless, here are the pluses:

1. The architecture and decor is amazing. Hands down the best part of this resort. Our room, which wasn’t one of their nicest - no ocean views or anything, was beautiful. And, very clean and new with an AC that works GREAT.
2. The restaurants were pretty good - though didn’t blow me away, at all. The breakfast buffet was particularly good I thought, but WAY, WAY overpriced. It cost us about $150 for just a couple and two small children to eat breakfast. Plus, I’d been expecting stronger drinks - after the all-inclusive we’d just come from with fairly weak drinks. But the drinks at Nizuc were no stronger than the all-inclusive.

The cons:
1. The clientele. This resort seems to attract (at least while we were the last weekend of February) a very pretentious, young-ish, crowd who seemed completely full of themselves and who at times made sitting on the beach or by the pool very unpleasant. They acted very entitled. You could overhear them making obnoxious demands of the staff - “Angle the umbrella so that it covers only her!” - and talking VERY loudly to one another in strong NY/NJ accents (no offense to NY/NJ). We had just come from Club Med across the street, which is far less hoity-toity, but which we enjoyed more because of the much greater laid back vibe and family-friendly atmosphere.
2. Lack of activities. I agree with the reviewer who noted there isn’t much to do - paddle boarding and little kayaks is about it.
3. The beach. Nice white, soft sand. But it looks very man-made. It almost felt like sitting next to a tepid greenish pond. After the gorgeous can’t-beat-it beach at Club Med - the epitome of beautiful beach with azure waters and gentle waves and miles of shoreline to walk - this one was disappointing.
4. The restaurant hours. They don’t start dinner until 6:30, which is fine for any adult but was too late for us with a 2 and 5-year old, especially after they’ve worn themselves out all day in the sun. By the time you order, etc. it’s going on 7-7:30 before you’re eating. Our kids fell asleep at the table the first night at Romano. By the last night we just ate dinner early at the “lunch” restaurant Ni.
5. Also, I never got the whole "butler" thing. They say this guy is assigned to assist you. We never saw him. And when we had questions about dinner it was hard to reach anyone.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, the garden villas they have look amazing.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank s.oliver
Distinguished Guest,

Thank you for taking some the time to share your experience at NIZUC Resort & Spa.

Your comments encourage us to keep improving every day. We apologize for not fulfilling your expectations.

We hope to have the opportunity to have you as our distinguished guest again in the near future.

Please receive our warmest regards,
Fair Lawn, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We returned from a long weekend at Nizuc a week ago. I wish it could have been longer! Everything was considered to make our stay the most relaxing possible. Anything we needed was easily and eagerly taken care of by our outstanding butler Alfonso, a true gem. Alfonso clearly understands how to make you feel like a treasured guest. He was always available by phone or in person for any questions we had or things we needed, from dinner reservations, to extra towels, to making plans inside and outside the resort. Instead of calling housekeeping for towels, or the concierge for plans etc, you have one person to call and he takes care of everything! So easy! Just another level of relaxation for our vacation. He actually came to the beach to find us to see what time we wanted our dinner reservation. Incredible!
The decor is truly outstanding, but earthy and real, so cleverly done. Everywhere you look there is a spectacular view or a piece of unusual furniture or accent to look at. I was snapping pictures all over the place! We were double-upgraded to a garden view suite, a lovely, large room with a private view and our own plunge pool (think the size of a hot tub, but not hot). Very Zen, ultra-relaxing. Also very large, with a large sofa, table and two chairs, and a long bench the length of the bed, not to mention the desk area which got some use (there is no such thing as being completely away from work these days, is there?) The bathroom was almost as large as the room (!) and included a gorgeous, comfortable tub, all stone shower, two sinks, just fantastic all around.
The best place is the beach, a swath of so soft sand and a line of beach chairs and umbrellas. The main beach is very quiet as it's in a cove. The water is stunning colors of blue and green and you can walk out for what seems like a mile and the water is just up to your knees. Great for waders like me. If you want to swim you can go to the adult beach around the bend, the water is a little choppier there, more like an ocean that a pool, but we loved the main beach. For a dip, we walked the few steps to the infinity pool, large and beautiful, all done in black tile so it seems to disappear. Can you tell I am in love with this place?
Our travel agent arranged for breakfast included and it was terrific, amazing selection for all appetites and diets, fruit, vegetables, eggs, pancakes, green and fruit juices, large selection of fresh bread and pastries. We definitely got the best deal by going through an agent, and I did join iPrefer as a previous poster recommended and that may be why we go the double upgrade (one from the agent, one from iPrefer).
We liked Terra Nostra, probably the most relaxed and price friendly of all the restaurants. We had dinner there twice, the service was happy and excellent and they bring you lovely appetizer tastings and even free champagne one time! I am still not sure about the tipping situation, we just tipped whenever we were happy which was ALL THE TIME.
One night we left the resort to shop for some souveniers, big mistake. I had never been to Cancun which is a loud and boisterous party place. If I had known that I doubt I would have ever come to Nizuc. I am so glad I did since this is the polar opposite of the party city. We did not find anything to buy and were so glad to return to the resort. There is a lovely shop in the airport called Los Cinco Soles, more like an open market in the center of the terminal. I found great stuff there at reasonable prices. If you want to bring stuff back but don't want to waste your vacation shopping, leave a little extra time to shop here on your way home.
I have to give a shout out to Antonio and Hector who served us so pleasantly on the beach. Both were great and made our vacation that much more relaxing. I think it was Hector who pointed out that Nizuc has the only beach in Cancun that faces west, so if you like to watch the sunset at the beach, this is the place.
I have never posted on TripAdvisor before, but I had to add my kudos to this fabulous resort. I hope to be lucky enough to return.

Room Tip: We were in building 6, an 8 minute walk from the beach which gave us a little excercise when we didn...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Allyson P

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at NIZUC Resort & Spa.

Your comments encourage us to keep improving every day. Please be sure we will share your review with Alonso, Antonio and Héctor.

Hope to have you visiting us soon.

Our best regards,
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

This is hands down the most incredible place! The customer service, atmosphere, food and beach are five star. I would recommend couples and adults to go there- it's not really a kid place as the beach isn't huge and the crowd is very adult. It's a relaxing and indulgent place not a cancun party spot. Also you should know they charge your credit card a pending fee about double what you plan to spend- obviously it's a cancelled transaction once you check out and pay but several people were a little upset about the high pending transaction. Over all i would go here any chance it get!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Distinguished Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at NIZUC Resort & Spa. Your comments encourage us to keep improving every day.

Hope to have you visiting us soon.

Our best regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Key positives - Beautiful pool, generally friendly staff, beautiful grounds, very near Cancun airport, pavilion villa is worth the extra, decent food.

Key issues - Beach is small, shallow,still and full of weeds, very anal staff - we tried to order snacks from the bar at the Peruvian restaurant next door but were told that this was impossible as it would ruin the integrity of the Peruvian restaurant, I asked for spaghetti bolognese through room service even thought was not on the menu and was told that was ok, but just this one time and was told not to ask for bolognese again, butler told us he would deliver coffee to room at 7am - when he didn't on first day I called him at 7:45 he said that I had asked for a 7:30 delivery and when I pointed out regardless, it was 7:45 he admitted he was late to work, but did send a bottle of wine, concierge was fairly efficient but not friendly.

Conclusion - much better than the Ritz but go to the Banyan Tree Mayakoba for a better villa and far better service - the first waiter I met there said you don't have to look at menu, we'll make you whatever you want and provide food from any of our restaurants - quite the contrast and the Mayakoba beach is far superior.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dvai G

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at NIZUC Resort & Spa.
We do apologize if we did not fulfilll your expectations. Your comments help us to improve our service.

Hope to receive you again at NIZUC in the near future,

Our warmest regards,
Minnesota
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed there for five perfectly beautiful days in mid February. The resort strives for a mayan / zen theme. Lots of water, wood & fire. The resort is okay during the day, but is much more elegant in the evening with the soft lights accentuating the details.

The Hotel lobby and our room was nicely appointed. We stayed in bldg nine (the furthest tower from the lobby). There are four towers and other two story bldgs. When we were on our room balcony, the noise from the road was extremely loud (the resort is only 10 minutes from the airport, but the traffic drowns out any plane noise). The grounds left a lot to be desired as they were very green, but without any color (i.e. - no flowers of any sort on the grounds). The towers all had peeling paint on the outside. The towers from the road side (all the rooms face the water and not the road) actually reminded me of the "Tombs: in Manhattan (an infamous tall detention center in the lower part of Manhattan). Very plain - literally slabs of concrete, broken up with wood.

Our room was quite nice and spacious (we stayed in an Oceanview Junior Suite - with a little plunge pool on the 4th floor). Upon entering the room, we immediately smelled cigarette smoke (very over whelming), our concierge/butler noticed it but did nothing until we called and complained about it . The room was missing all its paintings on the walls and there were no plants on the balcony (similar rooms across from us all had plants on their balcony). They tried to alleviate the cigarette smell by placing an air filter machine in the room to no avail and we were never offered an opportunity to switch room until the fourth & last night (and it was even guaranteed - they offered to see if there were any rooms available). Dont bother with this room, the plunge pool came up to right above my knees and was kinda cold. Not even sure why you would want something like that in your room (I believe the tub in the bathroom may actually be deeper than the plunge pool). Down below (when you looked down from our balcony) the grounds of towers had a lot of discarded construction waste strewn all over the place. There appeared to be a small pool on the ground floor of Bldg 8, surrounded by this construction debris - so much debris that if I stayed in that room, I would have refused to utilise that pool.

Aside from the aforementioned issues, our room was very tastefully decorated. Tall ceilings and doors (although the door into the bathroom never stayed opened), fixtures were high quality. The bathroom was was superb, although it did lack adequate lighting (I would imagine most women would hate this aspect of the bathroom, as my wife did). House Cleaning was excellent - replacing towels twice daily. There was also turn down service in the evenings.

The pools were quite nice. There's a family pool and the service can be hit or miss, depending on who your waiter was (we had a terrible one for two days and an amazing one for three days). The adult pool is great, but has a total of 8 or 10 lounge chairs - wtf,! So if you would like to be at this pool - get up at the crack of dawn to reserve one of the 8 or 10 chairs (btw - there are additional chairs on the beach by the adult pool, but only 10 at the pool itself). The beach is essentially a bay. You can utilise the paddle boards, kayaks & snorkel equipment the resort makes available ( FYI - the resort adds a 10% resort fee for having this equipment - even if you dont avail yourself to them). Snorkeling is kinda boring - not a whole lot to see (plenty of fish to view - but I saw exactly two species).

The lounges/bars are okay - not exactly any hot spots. We tended to gravitate to the Havana Room (it's a cigar bar). They made very good mojitos and the lounge was nicely decorated (the inside of the bar was the perfect smoking room decor and outside they had had a sunken sitting area that was quite nice at night). The bar at the Terra Nostra is beautiful - but we went there twice, one time there was a private party (so we were not allowed in) and one night we were the only ones in this place.

The restaurants: We tried Ramona's the first night. The service was excellent, but the food was at best, average (although my wife did enjoy her ceviche appetizer). I had the foie gras and the chilean sea bass - both just blah (how can any decent chef screw up foie gras!). So for US $300, we had a barely average dinner for two. After this dinner, we decided to go off the resort for dinner the remaining nights (FYI - Les Cepages and Du Mexique are amazing!). I did over hear some people sitting next to us at the pool, the next day saying that their dinner at Ramona's was excellent, blah, blah, blah and one gentleman exclaimed that the chilean sea bass was the best he ever had. My thought was this guy must believe the Olive Garden is a gourmet restaurant. I really do believe if people spend a lot of money on a meal, they want to believe the meal was excellent - but this is not the case. Please note, we're not food snobs. I just lived in NYC for 40 years and have travelled around the globe and we know what is good and what is not - and this restaurant was just not worth the expense (again - the service was great!) The breakfast buffet was solid. If you wanted eggs, you were required to order an omelet as the scrambled eggs they put out were always old & cold. The service was superb, especially for a buffet. The restaurant at the main pool was average and the drinks very very weak. Again service could be hit or miss. FYI - The resort adds a 12.8% service charge for all food & alcohol tabs. This service charge supposedly is split among all the wait staff at the establishment. So we always added an additional 15 - 20% to every tab, as that tip went directly to the our waiter(s). I believe the buffet was approximately US $40 per person (our bfast was included in our plan).

The food and booze are extremely expensive for what you receive. Youre paying gourmet prices for maybe average food. At the pool restaurant, a burger (and it's just average) was about US$20, ceviche was about US$20 and an octopus burger was about $25 . The very weak drinks at the pool were between US$ 10 - 25. And yes, a bottle of water is about $10. Wine is truly expensive and their selection at the bars and restaurants is below par.

The resort is suitable for adults and children 5 and under (they have a kids club - really only for very young children). I do believe the resort is not very exciting for any child over 5. I know our two teenage sons (ages 16 & 13) would have been bored to tears if they had accompanied us. (there's only so much one can paddle board, kayak and snorkel in a day - without being bored). Do yourself and your teenagers a favor and do NOT bring them to this resort!

The spa is nice, but not nearly world class as the resort claims (and extremely expensive when compared to similar resorts in Mexico).

The service is world class (as you walk the grounds - every worker stops puts their hand over their heart and makes a little bow. It's a little over the top for my taste, but a nice touch). The front desk, concierge, butler, and most of the wait staff are truly excellent.

So why did I rate this resort average to poor (I would probably give it 2.5 stars). It claims to be a 5 star, but the truth is, aside from the service - it falls way short. A five star resort would not have average restaurants. nor construction debris strewn around the grounds, peeling paint on all buildings, nor having missing art work or plants in the rooms, or have a room reek of smoke and not offer to move you. It's those little touches that make a resort a 5 star one and they fall way short. One Trip Advisor reviewer said it was just a very small step below Los Palmlla - really? I dont mean to sound harsh, but I have been fortunate to have stayed at Palmilla a few times, and Nizuc is light years away from the elegance of Palmilla. In fact, I strongly prefer the Ritz Carlton in Cancun over Nizuc.

So after reading this review and other reviews, youre still inclined to stay here - have a travel agent book the room for you. You will still pay the same price for a room as you would if you booked it on their website, but you'll get certain upgrades and inclusions (we rec'd daily bfast, transportation from the airport and some additional spa credits that we would not have rec'd if we booked it ourselves).

Room Tip: We had a OceanView Jr suite with a plunge pool. It was a tastefully decorated room and the bathroom...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank drbrooks19
NIZUC R, Director de Relaciones Públicas at NIZUC Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Distinguished Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience at NIZUC Resort & Spa.
We focus in making every guest stay a memorablel experience. We do apologize if we did not fulfill your expectations. Your comments are valuable for us since they help us to keep improving our service.