“beautiful place”

NIZUC Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 21 June 2014

i went here with my family and friends in april for a week. all in all it was a wonderful trip but the hotel does has some downfalls. here are my comments by category:

resort: 5 stars...absolutely beautiful! very peaceful and feels like a balinese Amen type resort. there are water and fire features everywhere. it can be a bit large and confusing when you first arrive, but eventually you get the hang of it. some of our group did not like having to take a cart to the main areas from your room so you may want to request a main building room if that would be an issue for you. those rooms, however, do not allow kids. i will say that we never waited more than three minutes for a golf cart to come around and take us where we needed to go.

rooms: 5 stars...huge rooms with everything you could want or need. comfortable beds and pillows, huge bathrooms and closets, Nespresso machine, large patio (with plunge pool if you are lucky), and a great design.

staff: 5 stars...everyone here truly wants you to enjoy your stay. they are sincere in their service and you feel welcome everywhere. our butler Osvaldo was incredible!

food: ok, here is my issue. I am a foodie so I know I have higher standards than most. But, I was traveling with a group of people with some being more and less picky. the food at Nizuc is fair. the prices are beyond exorbitant! i don't mind paying high prices for food on vacation, but i want it to be worth it. I never left a meal thinking i wanted to go back. The only place that was really impressive was the breakfast buffet they had in the mornings. This was the biggest complaint of everyone in our group. the casual pool bars and restaurants were good, but the other options (and you had no other place to go) were fair at best and you paid top dollar. In Mexico, that can be annoying!

one other thing to note. we rented a catamaran for the day through the activities desk. we paid $1400 dollars for it and were told we were going on a beautiful boat with drinks and then a lunch at an island, and then a possible snorkel and then back. we paid upfront at the hotel through the concierge. when we got to the marina, they had us pay an additional $12 per person for taxes( never told about this ) and had plastic cups with warm soda (not even cans) for us to drink out of that were spilling on us during the trip. we get to the island for our lunch and it was a buffet that was extremely crowded with other locals and there were bugs flying all over the place. the food looked beyond inedible. we asked our captain to please take us somewhere else and he said that this place was what was included. we said we did not care and wound up going to another restaurant and spent another $500 on lunch. we did not mind but again, we wish the hotel would have been more honest with the type of meal we were in for. the Ritz would have never done this outing. and this is the difference between this hotel and a brand like the Ritz. But, we had a great time that day and if that is our biggest problem in life, than consider ourselves lucky!!

in sum, Nizuc is a great place. bigger resort but great service. not as detail oriented as some of the finer hotels, but they really do try and the atmosphere is beyond beautiful!

Room Tip: get a plunge pool balcony room if you can. the pool wasn't really used by us, but the room is a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank LeoraLesh
NIZUC R, Director de Relaciones Públicas at NIZUC Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at NIZUC Resort & Spa.

We focus in making every guest stay, a memorable one.

We appreciate each and every one of your comments; certainly they encourage us to keep improving every day.

We apologize for not fulfilling all your expectations.

We hope to have you visiting us again in a near future.

Our best regards.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

"Gorgeous" was the 1st thought that came to mind as I walked through the brilliantly designed lobby. The Nizuc staff is courteous and happy. The rooms are elegant, spacious and sexy. Our butler, Ozwaldo, hosted us on a wonderful tour of the properly and couldn't have been more gracious and "cute"! The restaurants are delicious - La Punta being my favorite. We spent most of our time "grooving" to perfectly selected music by the adult infinity pool, sipping on tequila and enjoying delicious ceviche. Ask for Ramon at the bar!!!

Nizuc is everything I could have hoped for and much more then I eve expected! I can't wait to return!!!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Edina K

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at NIZUC Resort & Spa.

We focus in making every guest stay, a memorable one; therefore we appreciate your positive comments on our property as they encourage us to keep improving every day.

We will let know Oswaldo and Ramon about your kind words.

Hope to have you visiting us again in a near future, please receive our best regards.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

My fiancé and I stayed here for a short two nights, and enjoyed every minute of it. Although we do enjoy the all inclusivity of most resorts by the beach in Cancun, it was nice to take a break from mass produced food, crowded pools and beach, and the general public. It felt like the hotel was all to ourself, it was that private. Definitely worth the price you pay.

Room Tip: Maybe bring your own water. Bottles can run upwards of 100 pesos a bottle.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jojo R

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at NIZUC Resort & Spa.

Your comments encourage us to keep improving every day.

Hoping to have you among our distinguished guests in the future, receive our best regards.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

This hotel is simply amazing!!! The property is gorgeous but not in an opulent fashion. It is very serene, relaxing and worth the money in my opinion. I would agree with other reviews in that the property does seem more adult oriented but there were families present and the kids were having a great time. Our room was an ocean-view junior suite and exactly as billed from the pictures. It was a distance from the lobby and required a golf cart ride every time we wished to go to the beach or dinner but we didn't mind. Request a room closer to the main building if the ride is a turn-off.

I would definitely recommend the Havana Lounge for late night drinks as the atmosphere is great and the bartenders very attentive. We dined at almost every restaurant on property with Indochine being my favorite. The breakfast buffet was a close second as it is massive and a bit overwhelming at first glance. Lastly, the hotel staff was incredible and catered to our every need. We spent 6 hours on the beach one day and did not want for a thing. This hotel was an experiment for me as the Ritz is my usual "go-to" for vacations. However, after my stay this past weekend, I would jump at the chance to visit again!

Room Tip: Choose a room closer to the lobby if you do not want to call for a ride (golf-cart). However, the r...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Utmb5

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at NIZUC Resort & Spa.

We appreciate your comments on our property; they encourage us to keep improving every day.

We hope to have you among our distinguished guests again in a near future, receive our best regards.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

If I had to go back to this resort for every vacation for the rest of my life I would be totally fine with that. This PLACE was gorgeous. Our room, the restaurants, the beach, the pool, the spa, everywhere was like a painting. STAFF and everyone was so helpful and charming. Our butler Rodrigo was amazing. We got my mother a gift for paying for the trip and he wrapped it for me, not just in a box with paper... in a leather keepsake box, filled with rose petals as tissue paper. wow. THE FOOD was amazing. Gourmet, fresh, so much variety, amazing. THE SPA. I just... I can't even... begin to tell you how fabulous the spa was. I've been to my share of world-class spas in Vegas, Europe, etc. this spa made them all look like a YMCA. This. Spa. Was. Spectacular. GO TO THE SPA. worth the money.
Can't say enough good things about this place. I can't wait to be back!

Room Tip: GO TO THE SPA! Also, there may be fish/wildlife in the ocean waters because you're in the bay a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Allison G

Reviewed 16 June 2014

You will not find a more beautiful hotel with better service. The place is truly visually stunning and the service is some of the best anywhere. Every staff member is sincerely kind, helpful and lovely. Be aware that the standard Ocean View rooms are set back away from the ocean with a swampy marshland in front of you. If you want to be close to the beach, go for the Ocean Suite rooms. The Ocean Suite rooms in the main building are the best, in my opinion. We had 124 and it was perfect. You are close to everything (no need to take the golf cart) and the view is spectacular. The spa is in the top 2 that I have ever been to in the world. Definitely do a spa day. The entire resort is quiet, calm and serene- not for the party crowd or those wanting to explore the night life of Cancun. We wanted a quiet, couples get away and this was beyond our expectations. This is low season, we often ate at the restaurants with only 1-2 other tables. And there were no issues getting any chair or cabana you wanted each day.

The only cons I can think of: 1. Be prepared with mosquito spray in the evening. The resort has a lot of lush, jungle type landscape and reflecting pools and the mosquitos are aggressive at night, which is a bummer when you want to sit on the beautiful patio of the restaurant but can't after you are eaten alive. The resort provides "all natural" mosquito spray but the mosquito's don't seem to be deterred by it- bring your own. The bugs are only an issue in the evening. 2. The beach is shallow and calm and thus has lots of seaweed. I prefer to watch the ocean but swim in the pool so this did not bother me. However, it is perfect water for learning to use a stand up paddle board or kayak- which are all free to use at the resort. Not good if you want to body board or jump waves. 3. The food is quite expensive. It is expensive by American standards and they offer very small portions. I actually prefer small portions and I don't mind paying up for excellent food- but the quality of the food did not justify the cost. The food was just OK, nothing spectacular and certainly not up to the cost. Most of the fish and meat dishes were overcooked and chewy. The food was not bad, the quality was just half of what they charge for it. If you drink moderately, prepare to spend at least $500 per day in food and drinks for 2 people. We justified the cost to ourselves by considering that the room was actually priced low for the location and quality of the resort and service. They make up for the lower room costs by upcharging on the food.

We tried every restaurant except for the Italian one. The breakfast buffet in the morning (about $40 pp US) is really good. Lots of different options each day and everything we tried was very good. Their coffee is not like typical Mexican coffee- it's very strong and very good. For lunch, Ni is very good. The fried banana's they bring to the table are awesome. We got the seafood rice dish, the flavor was very good and we were pleased- one of our favorites. The food at the pool is good for lunch too- the fish tacos and ceviche were both very good. Luis at the pool bar is wonderful and a very good bartender. We tried the Asian restaurant for dinner one night- the sushi was good and the tuna tartare type appetizer, but the main dishes fell short. The lamb was overcooked and chewy, the sauce had a gritty texture. The fish main dish I had (can't remember the name) was also chewy and overcooked. La Punta Restaurant is amazingly beautiful- overlooks the adult pool and ocean- view of the full moon was spectacular. The food was just OK. The Mexican food restaurant was one of our favorites, but we just stuck with appetizers and ordered about 4 appetizers (they are small) and had dessert and drinks. This was our favorite dinner food.

Overall- a great experience. We would definitely go back and I would definitely recommend it- for those that enjoy beautiful architecture, landscape and amazing service and are looking for a quiet, serene vacation. Would I take my kids- maybe. They did have a kids club and seemed to have a lot of fun things for younger kids (ages 6 and under), including a small kids-only pool, crafts, cooking classes, t.v., lounge/play area, etc. For kids aged 7-12, they might be bored. However, if you rent a car and take the kids to Tulum or Chichen Itza and use Nizuc as a home base for down time and pool time- it would probably be just fine. The restaurants did not list any kids items on the menu but we were told they had off-menu items for kids like quesadilla, mac and cheese, hamburger, chicken breast, etc. We did see kids at the resort- not a lot and most were the well-behaved kids probably used to being in a high-end resort. Most of the guests are there for kid-free time so unless your kids are well-behaved, you might get nasty looks from the other guests. There was one screaming kid in the main pool and within 20 minutes, all the adults moved to the adults-only pool. :)

Go. Enjoy it. It is beautiful.

Room Tip: Ocean View suite rooms in the main building are the best view and location.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ZigandSharko

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at NIZUC Resort & Spa.

We focus in making every guest stay, a memorable one. We appreciate your comments on our property; certainly they encourage us to keep improving every day.

Hoping to have you back at our Resort in the near future, please receive our warmest regards.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

My friend and myself stayed at this resort. This was our first time in cancun. The resort itself is beautiful. The staff is great very attentive to your needs. The only thing is that this place is far from everything so if your looking to spend time at the clubs or shopping I would recommend staying at somewhere closer. Otherwise your looking at spending $70+usd a day on taxis. You can take the bus if you want to walk 15 mins to the bus stop. The beach was ok had a lot of weedy grass area and mucky floor. It was almost like swimming in a lake. In conclusion if your looking for peace and relaxation this is the place for you but if you looking to explore cancun and go out at night it would recommend staying at another place closer by the strip.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Chana S

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at NIZUC Resort & Spa.

Your comments encourage us to keep improving every day.