“Wazaaabi Takes Over Title of Cancun's Best Sushi Restaurant”

Wazaaabi Sushi House
Ranked #206 of 970 Restaurants in Cancun
Price range: US$5 - US$40
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Cancun, Mexico
“Wazaaabi Takes Over Title of Cancun's Best Sushi Restaurant”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I have been to Wazaaabi like 4 times in the last month and it is excellent every time. You can get the standard Nigiri Sushi and basic rolls but they have tons of tasty specialty rolls. We like to start off with some Edamame.

One thing I try to remember to do is to order the red wine at room temperature (al tiempo in Spanish) as it is quite common to be served the reds chilled, which I personally don't like. Ate there last night and they graciously brought us a bottle at room temperature.

Much less expensive than sushi in the Hotel Zone and reasonably easy to get to for tourists via a bus downtown and a $2 cab to Plaza Peninsula on Calle Bonampak, which is the first light after leaving the Hotel Zone. It's 1.5 mi/2.5 km or so from this light.

A couple of times we were still there at closing time and we were not even reminded that they were closing. We were all wrapped up in conversation and weren't paying attention. A couple of times they had duos playing and singing easy listening music and not blasting it.

• Visited March 2014

• Polish first
Kansas City, Missouri
“Great sushi, take my advice on how to get there”
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

We visited Wazaaabi based on reviews from Trip Advisor and the recommendation of the person who owns the villa we rented. We were not disappointed, it was very good.
If there was any issue, it was the fact they didn't have any menus in english, which others have mentioned. Our server said the english menus would be there in two weeks (we visited on March 20, 2014).

As for getting there, here's the simple way if you're staying in the hotel zone:
1. Take the R1 or R2 bus to Bonampak Ave, then get off the bus.
2. Get a taxi and tell them to take you to Plaza Peninsula. The ride is only a couple minutes and cost us 40 pesos.
3. When going back, have a taxi take you back up to Kukulkan Ave. and drop you at a bus stop where you can catch the R1 or R2 bus back to the hotel zone.

It is too far to walk, and don't tell your taxi driver to take you to Wazaaabi because they don't seem to know it, just say Plaza Peninsula. We tried to walk it and asked several locals how to get there and I think every single one gave us bad info directing us elsewhere.

Once we got the taxi to Plaza Peninsula it was fast and when you exit the taxi in front of Plaza Peninsula, Wazaaabi is up the stairs and on your right.

Enjoy!

2 Thank 2_cruises_per_year
Charles Town, West Virginia
“Awesome”
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Came here on Valentine's Day for some sushi. We were staying in the Hotel Zone and took the bus to Nader Ave, and from there caught a cab which only cost 30-40 pesos. Really easy and cheap way to get there.

Yes, the entire menu is in spanish so we spent a good half hour trying to figure out what everything was and deciding on a few rolls. The server made some great recommendations too.

We had the crab salad as an appetizer which was excellent, and the tuna tartare which didn't have a lot of flavor - wish they had tossed it in a spicy sauce. It was, however, a large portion. We also settled on three rolls which were all delicious.

I highly recommend this restaurant. The rolls were all around $8 US which was an excellent value. Drinks were very affordable as well. YUM!

Visited February 2014
Osterville, Massachusetts
“Driving Directions”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

If you'd like to skip the review and get to the directions, please scroll down to

☼DRIVING DIRECTIONS☼

Review:

I visit Cancun every Winter to visit my mother. I've become less touristy and more local over the years. Over the past couple of years, there's been an increase in sushi places. I've tried a couple and they've been very disappointing. It's almost like they've heard of sushi and are just kinda trying to take an amateur stab at it. On the whole, it's been worse that your average grocery store sushi from the states. Wazaabi is a true exception. My wife loves eel, but so many places give you this fatty, slimy leftover cut. Here, it was white and meaty. I got myself a couple of rolls and was very happy. They were expertly crafted. They didn't come with wasabi which was weird. I did ask for it, and it was there in a flash. Beer selection is mainly Mexican bottles with a Sapporo can option which I elected.

Service: Carlos was our waiter. He's exactly what I wanted from a waiter. A real "guy smiley." He was a relaxed guy but very attentive. If I didn't have anything, I could have it soon enough. I hate waiting while my food gets cold (or warm or mushy depending) for the waiter to get me something. These are good guys who get that.

Overall: Objectively, I would probably give this place 4 stars for being an honest-to-goodness cut above the rest (of all the sushi places I've been in my life). It isn't exactly waiting for a michelin star or anything over the top like that. If you know sushi though, I'm guessing most other places (especially local places) will disappoint. It gets 5 stars for being a curve-buster in Cancun though...and it deserves it.

Side tip: we spotted an Italian bakery diagonally across. We stopped in and it was awesome. These two places made me think we have found the foodie hub in Cancun. More trips needed to confirm it though. These two may be the only gems.

☼DRIVING DIRECTIONS☼

If you're in the hotel zone head north, the kilometer markers should be going DOWN as you drive. You'll be parallel with the ocean until around km 9 or so where the road jogs to the left. The km markers will continue to go down to zero at which point you will meet a big rotary with a set of lights. I suggest getting in the left lane around km 2 or so.

At the rotary, you'll need to go left. You'll have to wait for the lights and round the rotary to do it though. At this point, stay straight on this road. You'll come across another rotary shortly. Go "straight" by looping around the rotary to do it. There will be a huge mall on your right called "Plaza Las Americas." That's a great mall actually. If you have time, check it out. It also has a huge Chedraui store inside which is like a Walmart. I say don't bother trying to find Walmart. Anyway, keep driving straight.

Not long after you pass the mall, get in the right lane. Within a mile or so, you will find "Plaza Peninsula." It's somewhat non-descript, but it will have the silver lettering. It will be on your right. Here's the great part: you don't have to be super nervous about finding it in time. As long as you're in the right lane, it will be easy. You do NOT want to turn on the street before it. Slow down when you see it though. There will be a parking garage entrance on your right that goes right beneath the building. It's free parking. Park near the stairs. Go up stairs. Turn around and walk back towards the road that you were just driving on. Wazaaabi will be on your left. The sign isn't readily visible, so make sure you walk towards the street.

To get back, just leave the garage, make a right and an immediate left at that road that you came on. Follow the same jog back. The "Zona Hotelera" signs will be around to help guide, although it's just going back the same way that you came.

• Visited January 2014
Tel Aviv, Israel
“What a great place!”
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

Bit hard to find (mostly because of the google maps app- confused with the place across the street) but totally worth it!! The food was super fresh and delicious (muy rico!), the best sushi I've had in a while... the staff is really nice and very friendly, our nice waiter Carlos translated the whole manu for me and had great recommendations... we even got a complementary desert which was excellent!! Oh and the prises are very reasonable (especially on comparison to the other restaurants on the stip). Great value for money place- we recommend :) :)