“Loved it!!”
Review of GR Solaris Cancun

GR Solaris Cancun
Ranked #34 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked a last minute trip to Cancun. I was overwhelmed with so many to choose from but the reviews people posted about the GR Solaris were mainly positive. The price wasn't bad being that we booked late and for being a 4 star resort. We were very happy with our stay here. The lobby is beautiful and the view from the lobby balcony is breath taking. The staff was very friendly and the entertainment crew was great! We loved the buffets. Fresh fish and ceviche were my favorite not to mention all the alcoholic drinks were yummy. Our room had great air condition and was very clean. My husband enjoyed the stocked fridge. The only downfall was the wifi service which you had to pay for but after the first day we were so busy with excursions and beach/pool time that we no longer had a care in the world. It was the best vacation and I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Evett G
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

It is an honor to read how our staff members did everything in their hands to assure you a memorable experience. We are so happy you liked the facilities and the food selection especially the ceviche and the fresh fish.

We are looking forward to welcoming you in a near future and pamper you as you deserve.

Kind regards,
Hoteles Solaris de Mexico

There are newer reviews for GR Solaris Cancun

Reviewed 16 August 2014

The GR solaris is a great place to go with either family or friends. It is an all inclusive resort in the heart of Cancun. They have numerous drinks on their menu to choose from and the options are endless. If you want to catch a ride to the downtown shopping area, take the bus! It is a few dollars and takes about 10 minutes or so to get there. It is very easy and convenient.

The entertainment staff are constantly involved with the guests getting to know you and ensuring you are enjoying your trip. They were by far my favorite part about the GR. They are very enthusiastic and personable. In addition to poolside entertainment they have a show each night in the theater room and often live music in the lobby bar area. You can play pool, enjoy a show, dance, or just relax and have a beverage!

The resort is very clean and the food is good. You have to make a reservation if you want to go to Marco Polo (the nicer restaurant). My suggestion is to wake up early to do so. They go very quickly as there are limited spots available. The other dining options are buffet style and changed their theme nightly so you were not eating the same thing every night.

Overall this resort is a great place for a getaway! We went over Valentine's day and they had many fun activities according to the holiday as I am sure they do year round. This hotel is kid friendly as well so feel free to bring your family!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jamie S

It is wonderful to read that you had a great vacation and liked the activities during Valentine's Day. Thank you for taking the time to write a very detailed review! We are glad you had a blast and enjoyed our services and facilities.

Please do not hesitate to contact us to help you plan your next trip to Cancun! Stay tuned on our facebook page.

Best regards,
Hoteles Solaris de Mexico

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We are two adults and two older teens. We had two ocean front rooms. You can read my full trip report on the Cancun forum: "GR Solaris: Checked In "
Overall, the GR. was a pleasant, comfortable experience.
There were some minor issues, just remember
-you did not pay for a five star hotel. This is 3 1/2 star in my opinion. You get what u pay for.
-you are in a foreign country, things may not work the same as they do at home.
-the price makes this all-inclusive hotel a great value, which is why I rated this a "very good"
I hope you'll find these tips helpful if you visit the GR :
Bring plenty of $1 bills for tips, taxi, bus, etc. The hotel does NOT make change, and they do NOT exchange currency.
Wi-fi is expensive, and the cost is per device, and it does not work great
The food: some was ok for me, some was terrible to me. Taste is subjective, other people liked the food. You may not love the food, but you'll find something to eat.
Marco Polo restaurant: this sit down restaurant is included too, men bring long pants & closed toe shoe for Marco Polo restaurant, make your Rez at 5pm the day before u want to eat. The menu changes nightly, don't miss French night.
Pool towels: are check in you receive a card, which you exchange by the pool for your towel, and you just keep exchanging
Drinks: water, soda, and alcohol are included, there is a mini fridge in the room which is stocked daily with soda,water,beer (all included)
TV: don't plan on watching tv, it's constantly not working
A/C: we had several a/c outages, both in the rooms and in the restaurant
Getting around Cancun: there's a bus that runs up and down the hotel zone, it's just $1pp, there must be a ton of buses because we never waited more than 2 minutes! You just tell the driver where u want to go, he'll make sure u get there
Concierge: the GR has some of the laziest I've ever seen. They are full of misinformation, bad info, etc They need serious training. Nobody approached us about timeshare sales, but the concierge is eager to sell u on visiting the timeshare. Just say no.
Nightly shows: fun if you have nothing else to do.
Pool: there's an adult pool, with a separate jacuzzi, and a large family pool. We used the adult pool, which was GREAT. There were plenty of chairs, shade, the pool is well designed and my favorite part of the hotel.
Beach: I had not trouble at all at 11:30am getting chairs & an umbrella. The GR had a lot of nice chairs & shade umbrellas, the beach is nice & clean. The occasional vendor wanders up the beach selling hats, blankets, etc etc but if you just shake your head they keep moving.
Drinks: I don't drink alcohol, but they do have beverage service at the pool and beach. Service is a bit slow, but if you tip, it gets faster :)
Breakfast buffet: my favorite meal at GR , the service is excellent (u tip), I love the lady at the omelet station (I wanted to take her home), there's a huge selection of fresh fruit too. Coffee, OJ, and smoothies, all included.
The maintenance & housekeeping staff is friendly, they can't really fix much but they smile.
The room: we had two lovely oceanfront rooms on the second floor of the building overlooking the adult pool. The king bed was a bit firm, but we made due with lots of pillows. The tv rarely worked, as reported above, and we had a minor problem with the A/C . The shower leaked all over the floor (annoying) . The balcony was small (held two chairs), the bathroom was small. The hair drier worked very good. The bathroom amenities were very good (shampoos, soaps, etc) and generous. Towels were decent. Everything was clean. The view was SPECTACULAR. I don't normally pay the extra for an ocean front room, but it was included on the expedia deal, and I must say I really loved it :)
The marina: kayaks and paddle boats are included too. To get to the marina (which is really just 2 guys and a dock, lol), ask the concierge, they'll put you on the hotel shuttle which takes you 5 minutes down the road to the sister hotel. The marina is across the street. You return the same way, all included.
Room service: also included. The chicken was edible. I didn't try much else.
Electric: they use the same current as used in the USA
Enjoy !!! I was a bit nervous about an all inclusive, because I am a little picky with food. This was not a gourmet dinning experience by any means, but I found enough to eat. Bring your favorite snacks from home.

Room Tip: Go Oceanfront !!! The view and the sound of the ocean are worth the extra $ We were on the second...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank witwisAlex
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Service should be a 100! Great staff! Luis at the bar is fantastic had me laughing all week long. Elias at the restaurant made this vacation unforgettable. Thank you to all the staff for a great time. Hotel is very clean! Food is average but there is such a great variety there is someone for everyones taste. Will go back next year for sure!

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank jupata
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This is excellent all inclusive hotel, The restarurants are good especially Marco Polo for dinner. The staff is friendly and attention to detail is excellent. The pool and beach are clean. The rooms are comfortable and clean. We are planning our 8th annual trip to go in one month. It is also kid-friendly.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank 3WorldTravelers2014
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This was the 3rd time in Cancun for my teenage daughers I ,and I must say.... GR Solaris is doing all the right things. Top areas: The Staff, The Service, THe Facilities, the Great Attitude, The Fantasitic Entertainment such as the night shows, and the poolside activiities. We thought the staff and the service were fantastic; they were always wiling to help, always cleaning, every one of them were working their tails off. My daughters and I were curious as to why they were working so hard? Bonus based merrit? Paid extra for positive comment cards, what was it? I asked no less than 3-4 staff members and all of them said it was because they had great owners, who set the precident, empowered the management staff, then let the people run it.
Some of the staff who really took care of us were: Nice Restaurant- Vermon & Armando, Alias worked the casual indoor restaurant and the shows at night, Equito & Roberto for breakfast in the indoor casual restauant.
My daughers and I had a great time, we highly recommned GR Solaris, and also recommend taking a 1.5 hour drive south, swim with the sea turtles, have lunch in Akumal, and swim with the locals in the cenotes.
Only suggestion is to charge less for WiFi connectivity, $16 per day per device is steep.
Thank you GR Solaris!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alex K
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

The best part about this hotel is the activities team, located at the pool. They work so hard all day to keep everyone entertained and ensure that everyone is having fun. Sandy, Jona, Joey, Allie and the rest of the team are so great at their jobs and you can tell that they love what they do. They are always enthusiastic and upbeat.

Another positive aspect of this hotel is that the drinks are very good and not watered down at all. Unlike most hotels in Cancun, you will actually get drunk from the drinks at GR. Luis at the pool bar was outstanding. He was always working so hard and made sure we were never parched lol.

The only downside to this hotel is the lack of fine dining. Most people enjoy being waited on for dinner while on vacation instead of being forced to serve themselves at a buffet. Marco Polo, the only sit-down restaurant, is very good but the portions are tiny. So it would be best to eat before having dinner at this restaurant. Also, if you want to eat at Marco Polo you have to make reservations the day before at around 5:00PM or else they may be all booked because they only allow about 6 reservations per half hour time slot. Meanwhile the restaurant is always empty, so it doesn't make any sense why they don't allow more people in.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel and would definitely return. The price makes it a good bang for your buck.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Ray J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#48 of 176 in Cancun
Oasis Palm
Oasis Palm
#75 of 176 in Cancun

Been to GR Solaris Cancun? Share your experiences!