“The bad reviews are all true”

The City Discotheque
The City VIP Night Out in Cancun
Ranked #4 of 53 Nightlife in Cancun
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: It is the biggest club in Latin America, great possibilities to do everything you ever wanted.There's no other place like The City Nightclub. Its particular world class and fun atmosphere make it the perfect location for the Party Addicts.
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

I just visited the city nightclub August 16th 2013. My boyfriend and I were on vacation in cancun, and I wanted to experience this amazing cancun nightlife I've heard so much about. Prior to my cancun vacation, I did a lot of research on the best bars/clubs to go to and out of all of them I had wanted to go to the city the most. On the website they advertise that the place is huge and awesome they have all these famous Djs play there regularly, all kinds of cool people.... Don't be fooled. each night at my resort the promoter guys are walking around selling wristbands for whatever particular club your supposed to go that night. On Friday night it was the city's night so we decided to buy the wristbands. Our 50 dollar wristbands included "a table and unlimited bottle service" seemed like a pretty good deal. Around 1130 everyone from my resort hopped on the public bus and it took us to the club. When we arrived at the club we had to all stand in this line for a really long time I don't know why? Then this guy took us upstairs where we had to wait in another line for a really long time then finally they directed us to our "table". I'm thinking I bought like a table where we can sit down drink some drinks get a little buzz going. NO no one explained this to us at all. We were on the third floor (which whatever I don't really care we could look out and see the entire club) but it wasn't like my boyfriend and I had our own table they just made us share a table with these 3 random dudes. It was so weird. So we're standing there awkwardly with these other ppl who paid to be at the same table (oh lol your "table" is a tiny little wooden table that is so small the 5 of us couldn't all stand around it at the same time. No chairs or anything just standing) anyways, the guy comes over and asks us what kind of bottle we want well I said vodka and then the weird random old Mexican dude sharing a table with us didn't like vodka and wanted whiskey. Well I know at this point that whatever kind of bottle they are going to bring us is going to be the cheapest well liquor so by no way was I down with drinking well whiskey, so that turned into an issue. Thank god the guy at our table could speak Spanish bc he was at least able to talk to the server and get it figured out. I'm pretty sure he gave him money though and the guy brought us both bottles. Then another 20 minutes go by before we get our mixers which consisted of to jugs of warm grape and orange soda pop? Lol so weird and gross. Ok and then another 20 minutes go by before they bring our ice. Finally like an hour and a half later I could drink my first drink! It was gross! But what was I gonna do. My boyfriend and I didn't even bring money with us that night bc we just assumed we'd stay at this "awesome" night club all night drinking unlimited bottles. So we sucked it up and made the best of it. The club is packed and from the balcony it looked crazy on the floor. It wasn't even until later in the night that I realized the entire floor isn't filled with like ppl dancing its just filled with little bottle service tables like ours and ppl crammed on top of eachother doing the same thing we were. We couldnt even leave or go walk around bc we had random guys at our table that barley spoke English. I wasn't about to leave my bottle and mixers there with them they could have drugged us for all we knew. Sooooo we were just stuck up there awkwardly standing looking down at the crowd. I wore heels I wish I hadn't I just wanted to sit down. Oh the club is not nice at all. It's dirty old run down you could litterally wear flip flops and jean shorts and feel totally fine. I got all dressed up bc I thought I was going to this like Vegas style place. It was gross. Anyways we just drank from our bottle all night it was 100 proof vodka so it got the job done it was just very very hard to drink tasted horrible. When the club starts the night off they have all these like performances. They first had these acrobat girls hanging from the ceiling. Then they had this guy come out twirling fire and then after they had these rediculous dancer girls come out and do a routine to "pour some sugar on me" lol I was litterally laughing it was retarded. Aaand then they do a count down and then the dj starts. He was playing your typical house music. We had no where to dance everyone in the club was doing the same thing just stuck to their tables kinda dancing at their table unable to leave or walk around. After the dj stops playing his set they just turn on a play list of popular rap hip hop songs mashed up with other dance songs ehhhhhh I dunno. Oh
If u do decide to try and go downstairs to the dance floor. The only place to dance in this big huge place is the tiny little stage where all the performances were in the beginning. My boyfriend and I attempted to dance up there and lasted like five minutes the wooden stage was bouncing up and down I thought it was going to cave in. Anyways we ended up only drinking one bottle never got like crazy drunk (which is probably the safest anyways) we were there pretty late like 430 I guess the clubs stay open until there's no one there. We left and had to find where the bus stop was to take us back to our hotel. If u are out in cancun and leave the club be prepared to get harassed by PIZZA guys! Lol I was drunk but I just remember like 6 different guys with pizzas trying to get us to buy pizza from them lol. We didn't bring money bc we didn't want to risk anything getting stolen. If we had money though I think we would have probly left the city club way earlier and went somewhere else. We got on the bus and made it home safely. We never ended up going back out to any other clubs the rest of our trip. Everyone we talked to said its the same thing at every night club soooo that was a let down. I dunno all in all it was that fun and definitely not what I expected and nothing at all like how clubs are in the US.

6  Thank Shorti325mb

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I visited here with my wife on a Friday night. To be honest we probably arrived late as we didnt get a good spot.

The venue is amazing but I just didn't feel comfortable here at all. Drugs been offered everywhere and a lot of sleezy men. A lot of dodgy looking people and felt i was looking over my shoulder all night.

The bar staff were demanded tips which I thought was some cheek. I would only recommend visiting here if you are in a group and get there early as to get a table. I wouldn't recommend this place for couples at all but more for 18-30 year old single males.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

If you get tempted into the thought that it's one of the biggest clubs in North America and that you can get unlimited bottle service for $50 then caveat emptor (buyer beware).

The place truly is huge. I'm OK with that. But, it feels like if they took a basketball arena or some stadium and turned it into a club. So imagine partying in your local basketball arena. Not awful, but nothing special.

The thing with the bottle service is that everyone gets bottle service so the floor is quite literally spread with tables that you stand by. It's extremely crowded. If you've gotten bottle service at a Vegas club or really any club in the US, this won't meet your expectations as your used to your own space to really spread out and you typically have a place to sit. You have none of this. But, the unlimited bottles are cool.

The server that we had didn't come around very much. But the guy with "busser" on his shirt came around all of the time to help us out and get us more bottles, ice, and drinks.

Make sure that if someone is doing a good job, you tip them well. They'll come around even more if you keep tipping them and we did that with the busser. He helped to make things better.

All things considered, I probably wouldn't go back as there really isn't anything special about this place.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Where I live you can't even get into some clubs for $ 40 this club was amazing $ 40 got you open bar from 10:30 to 3:30. The music was great a mix between trance, hip hop, rap and pop. The club is huge Arena style set up and the crowd is a great mixed crowd. My only complaint was that people from certain sections couldn't go onto other floors which bothered me because your trying to mix and mingle and we met a group of people when we ask them to come to our table the bouncer said ...NO you can go on their floor but their not allowed on this floor ;/

Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

I watched two gay guys get kicked out and humiliated just for being together and having a good time. It's a shame because the place is crazy fun, but no one should want anything to do with a place with such discriminatory and disrespectful employees.

5  Thank Maria G