“Back Many Times!”
Review of Gran Caribe Resort

Gran Caribe Resort
Ranked #31 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 31 July 2012

So, we have been back Many times but first time writing a review. As a member of the Real Resorts, I must say we enjoy the hotels immensely. Starting with Francisco taking care of your luggage, to Hector or Jonathon at the front desk, plus your welcome drink, it starts off great. Upgrading to oceanview plus is a great idea, especially to the suites that allow you to visit the adult hotel next door - Royal, a couple of dinners, but does come at a price. The main pool is great, with lots of entertainment, the staff has changed over the years but guys like Danny and Benjie keep the fun going, with waitresses like Chely serving great drinks poolside. Noticed a couple of problems lately though, the bartenders have "tip" jars out all of a sudden, tips are included people! Tip only extra to the people you like more quietly of course. Also, eating poolside only at designated areas, now there seems to be people eating all around the pools causing birds to appear more often to bug you. The beach is amazing, built back up after the hurricanes, with a great lifeguard and ok beachside drinks service. The Lobby bar is fun in the evening but ends too early at 11pm, i would advise going with the entertainment staff to the clubs, quite safe, helpful and fun. The Kids area is fun, with the waterslides, pirate ship and kids club - adults be careful when you come down the slides, you may scrape something when you hit the water. The video game zone is also cool. The shows at night are great for the whole family. The restaurants are nice, but when they are full you must have a bit of patience, Juan at Albatros for breakfast had amazing service. The Sunset Grill is the worst, food takes long, and for some reason the waiters are looking for tips there big time, was very disappointed at this.The location of the hotel is ideal, close to the flea market, club zone, malls, etc. - take the buses, no problem for a buck. The gym is ok, walks on the beach better, the spa is great for massages. Maybe use Best Days for excursions, and the wi-fi is ok. All in all, we have been back over the years a few times as a couple, with the kids, guys only, and they have all been enjoyable trips!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank gmoney28
Matias K, Director General at Gran Caribe Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2015

Great review!!

Hope to have the opportunity to have you with us again in the near future.

Best regards

Reviewed 29 July 2012

I also had experiances of bad behaviour from spring break students. We stayed as a couple from 6th July - 20th. We did upgrade as it was indicated to us on arrival that they could offer a quite room with sea view. We paid over £210.00 for the previlage of being disturbed through the night or should I say early morning by rowdy kids running between floors, I think the game was playing catch with the security team. Our room was right behind the lift and the noise echoed loudly down the passage and we got very little sleep for the first three nights until they left. We did complain night after night but there was no offer of returning any of our upgrade money.

In saying that we loved the variety of food at the restaurants and the service we received, the staff were very courtious freindly which added to the whole dinning experience. This did make up for some of the inconvenience caused by the students. I woud also say the rooms very of a high standard and couldn't fault the cleanliness nor the facilities in the room, loved the walk in shower.

There was entertainment at the hotel but in saying that I didn't visit the theatre as it is not something I enjoy. I choose to spend my evenings at the Loby bar, the band usually played salsa with the odd night of Karaoke, I found the music a little repetitive after two weeks. I will say the entertainment around the pool was also a little much the same and of all the staff in the hotel who were very hard working, they in my view got their money for very little effort.

All in all we did enjoy our stay, but I would not choose to stay in Cancun and prefered Playa Del Carmen and River Maya. I would also sugggest falilies with teens would also be better off staying at another resort. Both of which I have been before and would say if entertainment is a big part of your holiday then look further afeild.

I must repeat I did enjoy our stay but only after the Spring Break Kids left and I think the hotel do have a responsibility to inform customers of possible disruption during thier stay. In my view it is not fit to be classed as a family hotel if the managment choose to continue to take their reservations.

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor not near any lifts of stairs. All the rooms are the same unless you r...
4  Thank Christine C
Matias K, Director General at Gran Caribe Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2015

Receive my most warming greetings from sunny Cancún. Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us such a constructive and important feedback, please know that we will seriously take your comments into consideration for improvement,

We hope to welcome you once again and notice the improvements we have made since your last stay

Reviewed 29 July 2012

You get what you pay for. For our honeymoon we stayed at the Excellence Playa Mujeres. That was an awesome experience and we will go back. This last time we stayed at the Gran Caribe Real. This place says all inclusive, but it was not as inclusive. My biggest complaint is the food. The food was pre-packaged. You are allowed to order room service only one time per day for free. That kinda sucked. When I ordered breakfast, the hasbrowns i received,were the exact shape and taste i would get if I bought themfrom McDonalds. The turn down service was pretty slow, and the linings on our bed had stains on them. The pool was always crowded as well.

The beach was awesome, the staff was nice, and the room was cold. Those were the good things. We will not be going back to the resort. If it was our first one that we went to, it might have been a different experience.

Room Tip: Look at the reviews, and save up a little more money for the 5 diamond resorts. Remember, you get w...
3  Thank Jason B

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to leave your comment. Please be assured that the concerns you mentioned have already been addressed to the corresponding departments

Once more, thank you and we hope to have the privilege of hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

i went to this hotel in May with my fiance and we were checkingout the hotel for our wedding. they have beautiful venues for a wedding, but after experiencing the hotel we WILL NOT be having our wedding here.
the hotel has recently partnered with a travel company called TRAVEO that is bringing hundreds of teenagers to the hotel from june to august and the hotel is becoming like the OASIS CANCUN.

the hallways are loud at night, and the pools rowdy during the day. beware during those times, other months im sure its a nice family hotel. i am also very upset that they would not refund my $200 wedding deposit, because we signed the contract before we knew it was turning into a spring break hotel. we could not bring family members and elderly folks to a hotel like this.

other than that if you go on their off months im sure you will have a good time.

wedding couple stay away, just being honest.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dsurm

Thank you very much for taking your time to write this feedback , its very important for us to know which areas in need of improvement are.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you can give us a second chance in the future!

Reviewed 26 July 2012

First time in an all inclusive and was definitely an awesome experience. They tried to hussle us with the room upgrade the first night saying ours wasn't available, said no and they ended up upgrading us to a beachfront room on the 5th floor the following night for free which was awesome! Alcohol dispenser in the room which was cool, although not needed as spent most of the days on the beach with cocktails. Food was good, don't know what all the snobs whinge about because it was decent! Would definitely go back again.

5  Thank Justin_b1988
Nicolas V, Manager at Gran Caribe Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2012

Dear guest:
We appreciate your time in writing this review; we are so happy to hear that you liked our services, our facilities and our food. Gran Caribe Real is a beautiful Hotel where you can find many alternatives; our level of service is recognized in different Countries around the world. Thank you for distinguishing us with your preference.
Cordially,
The Management

Reviewed 25 July 2012

We stayed here from 7/19-23. We really had a wonderful time and would recommend this hotel.

The check-in process was smooth. They were busy but did their best to get through people as quickly as possible. The welcome drink helps to make your wait easier. We were not pressured about upgrading, in fact we were almost done when I brought it up because our friends had upgraded and I wanted to be on the same floor. Although the price to upgrade at check-in isn't too high, I believe it is cheaper to just book the upgraded room ahead of time though if you think you might want it.

We had a king room on the 6th floor, aside from the King bed which I found to be very comfortable, we had a view of the ocean and lagoon. We had a seating area with a couch, table and 2 chair, a great big shower with PLENTY of hot water, a nice balcony with a hammock. As part of the upgrade we got robes, turn down service and got to pick our pillows.
We also had access to the 24 hour VIP lounge where we had snacks, drinks, games and our own personell consierge which was a nice touch.
We had noise one night, but someone called the front desk and they took care of it.

The hotel is immaculate. Someone is always cleaning something.

The food is delicious. We ate at every restaurant atleast once. Various selections at the buffets so there is something for everyone. . The Crazy Taco at the Health & Sushi bar is great!! You will need reservations at Maria's and IlPescatore but we made them on our first day there and had no issues getting the times we wanted. Definitely get the Mayan Cofffee, It was so fun. Thanks for Beto & Moo (we had it twice) for your presentations!!
My only complaint is that the air conditioning at Maria's & IlPescatore wasn't great. If they are going to require pants for men, then they need to make it cooler, or just allow shorts.

Drinks are great and never a wait to get one. Loved the Bob Marley's!!

We were asked about the timeshare presentation and decided to go, others in our group were not asked and were never pressured about it. We met Rolex & Jess who both did a great job showing us around and giving us the "Real Club' presentation. Rolex also checked in with us during our stay, never asking about joining the club but to make sure we were having a great time, which we were.

The beach is great, never hard to find a lounge chair, the water was pristine. It is also nice that they have lifeguards because the surf can be rough sometime.

We also spent time at the pool. It's nice that there is a shelf all the way around to give plenty of seating in the pool. Also never had an issue finding a chair. They may consider making the big pool 16 & older since they have 2 seperate areas for kids already but I can't really say I was bothered but would be a nice thing for those who can't afford the adult only Royal. The Entertainment staff is great. So much energy.

The shows were fun too. I wish Karakoe ran more than an hour, we missed most of it while at dinner.

The staff is so friendly, everyone has a smile and is willing to help you in any way. I wish I had the name of everyone I came in contact with so I could thank them.

Overall I really enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: 6th floor has a private lounge area.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank littel1

Dear guest:
Cordially,
The Management

Reviewed 24 July 2012

This was our first time being in Mexico. We bought this vacation off of icoupon.com. The price was a steal! The room we got was the wrong one and we asked if we could switch (something we aren't normally worried enough about to do). They didn't have a room for us until the last day of our stay. Our room had 2 doubles when we asked for 1 king. It faced the parking garage and service alley, where we could hear the carts being transported back and forth all night long. Some of the staff was very friendly, but not all. It was like we were a burden for them. Then man who checked us in at the front desk was extremely rude to us when we couldn't find our room after arriving. The food is below average, maybe b/c it's included in your price. We made reservations at their nicer restaurant, Maria's. Three of the 4 people at dinner agreed that it was the worst meal they had ever had. This is saying something, as it takes a lot to disappoint me. The beach area is great! There are plenty of chairs for everyone, but a downfall included the locals trying to sell you stuff throughout the entire day. We wll stay somewhere else IF we ever get the idea to come down to Mexico again.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the beach, with a balconey and hammock!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kate M

Please know that we will take the matters you expressed in your feedback seriously into consideration for improvement, in order to be a lot more attentive towards your needs in order to accomplish them, and to make your stay as memorable and unique as it could possibly be.

I hope you allow us another opportunity to welcome you once again