“5th trip to Mexico” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Redding, California
“5th trip to Mexico”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was our 3rd stay at the Gran Caribe & once again had a great time. We had been staying at the Gran Puerto Real but because it was so spread out I had a hard time getting around there & the Gran Caribe was so kind to find us an awesome room where there isn't so much walking. We liked going to the Albatross buffet often & Jaime was our favorite server there, he always had a smile & gave 1 to us as well (he even remembered what we liked to drink). The activity team outside by the pool were really friendly & fun. Also Elena & her partner (sorry) give the best massages!:)

Room Tip: Lagoon view or ocean view rooms are nicest.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Antonio M, Director General at Gran Caribe Resort, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Sheri H We thank you for recognizing our associates, especially the ones you have mentioned, and hope see you here again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,349)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Tulsa, Oklahoma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

This was our 5th time to stay at the Gran Caribe and after the experience we will never go back there. One room stunk like dirty feet and they brought in a fan for 4 hours. We had upgraded to the highest level room and we were unable to get reservations at any restaurant other than the Buffett. I tried to book dinner reservations from the beginning of the trip on and got no answer. We knew what to expect and they tried to put us in downgraded rooms. Overall it was a terrible experience. Spa was disgusting and dirty.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Okietraveler24 We sincerely apologize that you did not have a perfect stay at our hotel, and that we felt short of your expectations We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to our resorts, allowing us the opportu nity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience
Greeley, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We were excited to stay here based on the reviews I read but unfortunately it did not live up to them in my opinion. When we arrived the staff was friendly and attentive as advertised. Our first room was in what seemed to be an older un-remdolded section of the hotel (2816). The room was sparsely decorated and when I opened the curtains to the porch it was facing the loading dock and it smelled bad just to be out there. The room also did not resemble the photos that were published online. I immediately went to the front desk and asked for another room as this one was unacceptable. They told me they were booked full and there were no more rooms available till tomorrow. I signed a sheet allowing them to switch our room and luggage the next day. They said they would do so around 130 and to check later in the day to get the room number. When we went back to the front desk to get our new room they said we had to move our own luggage and I hadn't given them the authorization. The lobby was busy and they didn't seem to care too much about helping us. So we moved our own luggage across the hotel in our wet suits and flip flops. The new room (2360) was in line with the pictures and reviews. It was nicer and had a view out the front of the hotel which was a welcome change from the loading dock.

The pool is a bit small but centrally located so it makes it convenient. Theres a bar on the beach so you don't have to walk all the way back to get drinks. They do have waitresses that come by quite frequently which was nice. We went downtown the first night and had diner at Carlos and Charlie's. The second night we ate across the street at the seafood place Loranzillo's and it was outstanding!!! I wrote a separate review on that restaurant. It is pricey but the food was outstanding. The food at the hotel is okay nothing special your standard all inclusive grub. We didn't eat at any of the specialty restaurants while we were there.

On check out the line was insane and there were only 2 people working the desk and it took forever.

Overall there was nothing special about this hotel. The staff was friendly but not to the level we expected based on the reviews, it wasn't bad, just average. The beach area is great and after all one of the biggest allures to Cancun is the beach which was not disappointing. There were plenty of chairs and cabanas available if you wanted one. Rooms were also pretty run of the mill for some of the newer places in Cancun and Mexico. The mini fridge was barely stocked though with a few diet cokes and water. I found it a bit strange for an all inclusive but maybe they don't want to stock them with cans, not sure. The bed was on the firm side so if you like a softer bed, might want to consider this.

I booked this trip through Travelocity and it was a short 3 night stay to celebrate my girlfriends birthday. When we were "personally" checked in once he found out our stay was short it seemed like he lost interest since we would not be doing any outside activities. That was pretty much the end of the "overly attentive" staff I read about.

Given the abundance of hotels in Cancun I wold not seek this place out or rebook there in the future. There are far too many choices in this price range that I would rather try and or revisit next time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Jeff U Thank you for taking your valuable time to share your feedback with us. We regret to know that the service of our resort did not meet your expectations.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again to Cancun
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

My family 1st trip to Cancun with Gran caribe real was amazing.Great food,outstanding service from every single employees.like Jesus,Juan-captains-Jessica ,Cesaz@Gaviotas.Adrian,Lily Mary max David @albatros.Pablo@Sunset and Anthony Taco @dinner on the beach and many more...

Dear Kieunga N gracias for your positive review. See you the next year
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had the time of my life at the Gran Caribe Real Resort & Spa recently. Not only was the hotel beautiful with plenty of amenities but the staff was extremely hospitable. The is something to do here for children of all ages and many events for adults. Everything is within steps so you do not have a long haul from one event to the next, or one end of the hotel to the next. The hotel is also near plenty of shops and night life, just a bus ride away.
However the best part was that I vacationed there (with a group of 100 people) for my destination wedding and they nailed it. My wedding was all that I could have imagined it to be and they bought my vision to life exactly how I wanted it. Elizabeth Zuniga was my coordinator and she was a pleasure to work with and I highly recommend her if you are planning an event there. All of my worries were laid to rest and I have no complaints or regrets.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank S A
Dear S A We truly appreciate your kind comments and the time you took to write your comments
See you soon.
Everett, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Not a good experience at all!! The A.C. was broken, it was incredibly hot so no one sleeps in 100 degree weather. The food wasn't great. Also what we thought was a V.I.P package ended up being a very small and cramped bedroom for 4. We asked why our rooms changed and she said that our V.I.P was at home and if she really wanted to be V.I.P than she could be V.I.P in her heart. I guess it was suppose to be funny but I found it very rude. Not very happy with the hotel at all.

Room Tip: not very organized it you want a nice hotel room it might have to be up high cause the ones on the g...
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Steffany B
Dear Steffany B Thank you for taking your time to give us this review about your recent stay at Gran Caribe Real.

its very important for us to know which areas in need of improvement are.

We sincerely hope you will allow us the privilege of hosting you again in the near future and provide you the excellence of service you and all our valued guests reserve
New York, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We spent 4 nights for a family wedding that included over 100 guest.I liked that the hotel was not so spread out that you couldn't find anyone,It was a great hotel to mix and mingle, some hotels are so spread out that you feel like you are on a totally different vacation than the folks you came with because you barely see them. Restaurants, main pools, kiddie pools, beach were all just steps away. The hotel is also in an excellent location to simply jump on the bus or walk to clubs and shopping. The food was decent. Special shout out to waiters Anthony, and Abel and also Magic who kept things fun in the pool area.

Room Tip: oceanfront rooms are great!! Anything above that gives you access to club level which offers premiu...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear LEELEE0421 . We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay . We look forward to welcoming you back to Gran Caribe Real soon.