“Very Good for being an all inclusive overall”

Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Ranked #4 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Overall our 3 night stay was very good. We stayed in an Aqua Suite which was very nice. Only real problem was the whirpool tub leaked almost all over the room when it was drained. We called maintainence and housekeeping and they responded very quickly. The hotel told us it was fixed but we never tried it again to confirm. With this suite you get Aqua club level access, which was nice to get a Bud Light (as you can't get it at any of the other bars) from time to time and some snacks etc. They also had premium liquor as well. The suite also affords you a cabana each day at the pool which comes with a 20 minute foot massage.

Room service was very good and responsive. Housekeeping on the other hand was hit or miss on replenishing our beverages and the breakfast room service hang tag menu.

Reading some of the other reviews, I agree the pools and hot tub were not temperature controlled very well. Weekend absolutely had a party crowd but with being in a suite, we really didn't get bothered by it. Come Sunday, it was very much less crowded.

Spa - we both had some treatments which were very good. We recommend using the spa.

Food - above average but nothing to right home about per se.

Daily activities - nothing is communicated well on these at all. There is a general brochure that charts out what is going on each day of the week but we had to seek it out. Also, we knew nothing of the outside dinner / magic show on Sunday and had to eat at MB for a 2nd night in row. WEBSTER took care of us though - great Server!

Lastly, one must remember you are in Mexico, which means for the most part things don't always happen as quickly as you may like. None the less, we had a very good time.

Room Tip: Spring for a suite!

Reviewed 29 November 2011

My husband and I went to Live Aqua for a quick anniversary/ birthday getaway. If you are looking for someplace that immediately relaxes you, this is it! From the eucalyptus aromatherapy throughout the hotel ( and aromatherapy options in your room) to the welcome hand massage, you quickly forget your everyday stresses! We chose this resort because it was adults only ( and that definitely adds to the zenlike atmosphere ) For an "all inclusive," the food was very good (all the ceviches at each restaurant were excellent )
Restaurant MB is most upscale ( we ate there twice) the breakfasts are at Sette and even though it is a buffet, it is a great combination of Mexican and American breakfast food with a terrific juice/ mimosa bar ( the cataloupe is great!)- we wound up going to Azor every day for lunch as you can't beat the outside deck overlooking the ocean. The outdoor couples massage also was terrific.
A couple suggestions- make sure you ask the concierge what activity is scheduled for the evening- they don;t communicate it very well and they typically have a special event of some sort ( fire show, soprano singing at dinner, etc) in the evening. Also, unless you are actually interested in a time share, when checking in, make it clear at the beginning that you are not interested. ( they are very persistent in offering exeditions, massages, etc, for a 90 minute presentation that can extend up to 5 hours!!!)
Now that we know how to navigate that part of it, we are already planning a return trip!

1  Thank robinsonsummerfield
Reviewed 28 November 2011

here for a short 4 day stay, and for the most part, am very happy.some thoughts...
1. keep in mind that this hotel is all inclusive, which means lots of drinking, aloong with all adults means lots of drunk twenty somethings.....this is very true on friday and saturday nights. Dont expect a quiet hotel. The marbel floors make it all the more loud. We had groups of people singing out side out windows at 4 am....not what we wxpected not wanted....
2. food was above averge. MB was the best place to eat dinner by far. Desserts everywhere were just average.
3. hot tub, which there was only one, was not hot, just warm at best. There should have been another as well.
4. Nowhere does anyone know what is going on daily here, which is a shame. Last night there was a majic show over dinner outside, =but no where was it posted, nor did it seem anyone know about it. Something should be posted daily saying what is going on each day.

generally it's a good hotel, they try! Management should be more involved in organizing what is going on.

Room Tip: as about what is going on. At the welcome time, they spend more time trying to get you to go to a ti...
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Well, I am not sure where to start. One of the things that enticed me into coming here was all the positive ratings. I'll have to be more selective the next time. So, to start. The good things. Webster, our waiter in MB was exceptional!! YAAAAAY Webster!. If you like shopping, La Isla is right across the street and has many fine shops. The beach is relatively clean except for the slobs who litter with their cigar and cigarette butts. The yellow flags were up most of the time but that is to be expected in that area. If you are careful, swimming is lovely. From my perspective, a seasoned traveller who is used to staying at better quality hotels, this hotel did not make the mark. While the grounds were well kept, and the rooms and hallways clean, there are not many more positive things to say. Compare to The Moon Palace with a similar or 1/2 star rating less, where the rooms have two person jacuzzis, large showers and ample closet and dressing areas, and bottles of premium liquor in each room, whereas Live Aqua has no booze and only cheap beer and sodas and bottled water. After we checked in, the room we were assigned was supposed to be a deluxe garden view. What we really got was a deluxe construction site view. Not a tree in sight! Well, maybe a bush! LOL. We immediately went to the front desk and were assigned a full ocean view at the front of the hotel on the 7th floor. Pretty neat huh? Oooops, wait, we entered the room to find a woman partially clad along with her husband. Embarrassing for both parties to say the least. Down to the front desk again, several apologies and a new room on the 9th floor. I guess this could be a good point. With regard to the food. Only three restaurants for this whole complex. MB, which was upper scale but the food was only medicore compared again with Moon Palace both in choices of restaurants and quality of food. Azur, which is out by the pools which are satisfactory, but which weren't heated and were a touch cool, is somewhat OK. The buffet restaurant Siete was adequate for brekkie and lunch but dinner was unspecatular. The staff by and large was very friendly and there were favourites but one thing I will say about brekkie.... they had all the fresh OJ you could drink and more, and mimosas were abundant. Omelettes were good too and on balance the brekkies were average to good. Again, choice was lacking and for those people who were not fans of eating a lot of Mexican fare, meals could be a bit disappointing. The pool waiters were attentive and all staff were tipped well. I just believe that it is hard work for these folks and dealing with many impolite people one of the ways I think I can brighten their days is to give a good tip and be very polite for the great service. The bus is a few steps away from the front of the hotel and I highly recommend using it to go to "The Forum" area a few miles down the road. Most of the area is Americanized with Hard Rock Cafe, Hooters, Senior Frogs and other popularly named stops for the tourists but fun to go to in any event. There are always lots of tours and I highly recommend both Xcaret (pronounced Ish car ette) and Xel Ha (pronounced Shell Ha). There are many more so don't miss out, just expect to pay around $100 or more per person for each. I am not sure what more to say here except I will continue to come back to Mexico, particularly Cancun and the Mayan Riviera but I plan to give this property a pass for now and forever!

Room Tip: Ruth's Chris Steak House just out the front of the hotel and to the left a reasonably short walk...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank AdvisorOntario
Reviewed 28 November 2011

From check-in (we were in our room within 10 minutes of pulling up) to check out (they let us stay an extra hour bc of our shuttle pickup) this palce was awesome. Sure, there are things to improve upon, but it's hard to do anything other than nit-pick little things here and there.

Food: First off, I grade food in Mexico on a curve, bc you never know what you might get, but the food was great. I wish they had a few more restaurants, and if I were staying for a week instead of 4 days, I might try another resort. The MB: The upscale restaurant. Food was fancy and very good, but I just didn't care for most of the options there. Still, it's worth at least on trip. Great service. Siete, this is where you have breakfast. Breakfast is AWESOME (bread pudding and watermelon juice!!) and we usually filled up here and snacked until dinner. For dinner, we felt like the atmosphere was too laid back, and the food too bland. Azur....we had lunch here every day and dinner once. The most diverse menu (Shrimp cevice, tacos, chicken parm, salads and fish were all good) and the best views. We didn't go to the bars, and nightlife is best found elsewhere. Room service menu was also diverse, the presentation was incredible and the servie timely. We usually ordered 2-3 desserts and a few snacks later at night. They also stocked the fridge everynight with what we asked.

Tipping: not required, but we found quickly that $5 to Francisco at the pool at 9AM led to a visit every 10-15 minutes to see what we needed. I always tipped in restaurants, the room service maids and other people bc I feel like it's the right thing to do, and honestly, good service deserves a reward, even at a 5-star all inclusive. We witnessed a table of 8 our last day have a meal and demand things of the waiter constantly. They left a muge mess and no money. He was visibly upset and I don't blame him. Listen, if you can afford $300+ a night for a room, you can afford 10-15 per day in tips, and you benefit from it.

Service: impeccible service all the time, even without tiping. Always friendly, always happy, always helpful. We had noisy neighbors in room 2305 one night, a quick call at 3:30 am to the desk brought up the security who quited them down. The next night, they had been moved to another room for us. Very nice. Turn down service at night, maid service was great.

The room: We stayed in a regular king room. NIce room, high ceilings, bright. Shower heads were sub stanbdard, but I'm being picky. USe the safe, it's big enough for an ipad plus all your valuables save a laptop. If I were there for more than 2-4 days I would choose the 5th floor rooms to get the lounge, or a terrace for more space. BUt the rooms themselves were amazing. Every room has a balcony.

Pools: Wish they were larger, the smaller circular pools are colder and rarely used. The main pool is long but narrow and you can't see the ocean from it. There is one small hot tub, and it was always full of people starting at an hour before dusk. I even saw a dozen locals in there at 6AM (FULLY CLOTHED NO LESS) on the last day. They had walked up frmo the beach, no wristbands. Funny stuff. If you want a bed (not a cabana) I would suggest claiming your spot with a few itmes by 9AM. The prime spots (next to Azur) go fast.

Alcohol: I'm not a big drinker, but even I noticed that the alcohol was watered down. I'm not sure I ever got a daquiri that had rum in it unless I watched them pour it personally. I had 4-5 in a span of two hours and never felt a thing. And I would. I'ma lightweight. One glass of wine gets me.

The grounds. Here's what I don't get, one of the prime weeks of the year, and they have little maintenance projects going on everywhere. Retiling inside, re-grouting the pool bar, closing the whole thing down, and on and on. Not a huge deal, but they will eb empty next week and the weeks preceding...... odd

Overall a 5-star experience that delivered. I would come back again and again, no doubt.

1  Thank horninco
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Live Aqua is simply awesome. The decor is super sleek and modern feels like a very nice boutique. The service was very good. The 24 hour room service is true. (wasn't convince until I arrived) If I had anything bad to say it would be not enough dining options and very few activities. But otherwise definitely worth the stay.

P.S. Dining can be tricky we went in off season and there are only 3 restaurants which fill up pretty quickly and they have a no reservation policy and to make matters worse MB is closed on Mondays making only 2 options available on Monday. This place could definitely benefit from a couple more options especially when high season rolls around. Despite this criticism still worth it.

Thanks and hope this was helpful.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 27 November 2011

This hotel exceeded all expectations. First all-inclusive experience. Etremely attentive and friendly staff. Beautiful hotel, spacious suite, exceptional bedding, delicious food. Highly recommend.

1  Thank yKuehn