“Was great the first three days, would not stay longer”

Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Ranked #3 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
North Brunswick, New Jersey
“Was great the first three days, would not stay longer”
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I really wanted to rate this hotel higher, but the longer I stayed the more annoyed I got.

Pros:
- I got a fantastic deal on Living Social; if you can get the Viento room, definately go for it, because those were the best rooms.
- Each room has aromatherapy oils, which made the room smell fantastic. In fact, most of the hotel area had some kind of aromatherpy scent to it; it's probably the best smelling hotel I've ever been in.
- The restraunt, spa, and beach staff were extrodinary, should be commended for their helpfulness and their positive attitude. They were so nice and very pleasant to talk to. Definately say hi to the Coffee Corner guy near Siete, such a sweet guy.
- Free internet and computers near the front desk
- Wow, that carpaccio is to DIE for. :D
- The Aqua Club near the top floor had a fantastic view and amazing snack food. Great for relaxing.

Cons
- My group was unfortunately inconvenienced by Hurricane Irene, and our 3-night stay ended up being longer because the flights were not available until later that week. Front staff management were not helpful to accomodate us, and wouldn't even negotiate us staying longer at the same rate or at a reasonable rate. It would have been nice if the front staff management tried to negotiate a rate with us, but it felt like they gave us a "take-it-or-leave-it" attitude when it came to helping us out. We found a better rate online for our extended stay than we did talking to the front staff.

- When we stayed the extra days, we got moved down to a smaller room. There was a gekko in our bathroom, which management didn't help us get rid of.
- If your room isn't an ocean view, it's facing construction.
- Azure at night is a mosquito fest. Best to go during the day then at night.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank T0ph

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,616)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I've vacationed at several all inclusive resorts in Cancun, Playa, Riviera Maya and Cabo and this resort was BY FAR the best experience I've had.
The check-in process was relaxing and hassle free. The Lounge on the club level was staffed by friendly and professional people and offered a great selection of food and beverage. The room and bathroom were clean and spacious and the turn down service added to the overall experience of luxury. The property was well laid out with clean pools, easy beach access and plenty of chairs. The service pool side was never lacking and the staff remembered your drink preferences. The restaurants were awesome...great food, excellent service, amazing ambiance. I have to give special Kuddos to the three Parrots on the property. I was an amazing experience to be lounging by the pool and see Parrots soaring free above your head. My favorite pictures from the trip are with Parrots on my shoulders or arms. It just enhanced the Zen/Natural/Luxury quality that the whole resort created. I definitely recommend and trip to the spa...the atmosphere can't be beat. If you're looking for an all inclusive resort in Cancun you can't miss with this one! Already booking a return trip in July!

Room Tip: Corner suites are amazing. Spend a little extra for the ocean view and Club level access. It's d...
2 Thank Shannon G
maine
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Stayed at aqua for 5 nights in November . I go to cancun a couple of times a year and will not stay again at aqua. Stayed in both a regular room, all oceanfront, and a suite on the club floor( save your money)
Rooms were ok, clean, nice bathrooms, but the sheets had sheet pills on them which is acceptable at at a low end all-inclusive, but not at $400 a night one.
Pool area was very nice. Room service was good.great breakfast buffet, with uninterested service from the wait. The food service was lacking in both execution and service. No where did any of the waitstaff care at all about customer service. As a result the food was always lukewarm, at best. They just let if sit around in the kitchen,because obviously nobody cares.
The real problem was the front desk and the management. I originally had booked a quick 3 day trip on luxurylink. It was a package that came with transfers,$100 spa credit, and a bottle of Moet. Just before we were going to go I found I could stay two more days, so I booked another room for two nights on book it. I notified them prior to my arrival for a pick up, but again with no reply, and no one waiting for me at the airport, I just took a cab.
Unfortunately, I stupidly double booked 1 night ( 2 rooms same night). When I saw it, I faxed and emailed the reservation department with my mistake, to straighten it out. I got no reply, so when I got to the hotel, I explained to the front desk. The lady saw the problem, kept my reservation paperwork, and told me I was all set, no problem. I had paid for 5 nights, I was staying for 5 nights so she was just going fix my mistake.
When I moved my room after 3 days, no one bothered to transfer my credit card info the new room on the second resrvation. I went to the spa and found this out when they wouldn't let me charge the service to my room. Went to the front desk and had to go through the whole hassle about the double booking and wound up having to pay for the spa on a credit card.

So the last night i was there about 9:00 pm it starts in my room knock at the door. I was supposed to check out that day. Went through the whole story again. They came back 5 times, at which time they asked for my credit card because there wasn't a copy on file on my credit card. No problem.
But when I checked out the next day low and behold they had billed my credit card for the extra night. And I had to go through the whole thing again.
I would have had no problem if they had said that I made the double booking, and that they could only give me what I booked. I could have paid for the extra night or gone to different hotel. But that was not the case. Theyy just started pounding on the door at 9:00 pm. Wouldn't you think I would have got a call by 1:00 that afternoon when I hadn't checked out. Should the person who took my credit card have told me they where charging me for an extra night. The whole thing was handled so terribly.

I requested my airport transfer to pick me up at 10:00 am. They decided i should go at 9:00. , but didn't bother to tell me. I took a cab.
So I got screwed out of my airport transfers, I got screwed out of my $100 spa credit, I didn't get my bottle of champagne, and I got tortured and lied to by the front desk

Room Tip: Go someplace else
6 Thank lobco
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 30 November 2011

the mint smell was great. fod was decent. the best things i had there were the mint tea on arrival and salsas at breakfast. the pools were gorgeous. but there weren't enough umbrellas and the hot tub was lukewarm the whole time.
everyone was nice, but i dont think the staff was very well informed. i was asking about the turtle release and no one knew what i was talking about, even though it was on the schedule of activities. i woke up early for yoga two days, but no one knew the instructor was on vacation. i also showed up to the golf clinic and there was no one there. i had to complain before someone told me it was cancelled.
when i booked a massage at 7:30 i was done by 8:30 and no one showed me around and when i tried to use the hot tub, they told me i had to leave because they were closing. the sauna also wasn't working. not very accommodating.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank LosAngelesVivian
Boiling Springs, South Carolina
Reviewed 29 November 2011

My entire (adult) family decided to go to Cacun over the Thanksgiving holidays and chose to stay at Live Aqua. We were not disappointed. The hotel is beautiful and very, very clean. Check-in was quick and painless. They greeted us with cooled cloths and iced tea (would rather of had a "drink" but that's just me). The grounds are well kept. The pools and beach are amazing. We had good experiences with all of the restaraunts and the service was very friendly. The Cocoa-Cocoa (dessert) at MB is fantastic! We never tried the room service for food, it was too beautiful to be in the room and the weather was perfect. You may read about the scent throughout the hotel... when I first walked in I thought it may be overwhelming but was used to it in less than 5 minutes. The daily cleaning of the room was great, we were never interupted by the staff but as I mentioned, we were not in the room very much. The mall across the street is nice and HUGE. It was a great get away and I would recommend Live Aqua. It is an "all adult" resort which I prefer.

Room Tip: We upgraded our room to have a private ocean front terrace but when you sit in the lounge chairs, th...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Overall our 3 night stay was very good. We stayed in an Aqua Suite which was very nice. Only real problem was the whirpool tub leaked almost all over the room when it was drained. We called maintainence and housekeeping and they responded very quickly. The hotel told us it was fixed but we never tried it again to confirm. With this suite you get Aqua club level access, which was nice to get a Bud Light (as you can't get it at any of the other bars) from time to time and some snacks etc. They also had premium liquor as well. The suite also affords you a cabana each day at the pool which comes with a 20 minute foot massage.

Room service was very good and responsive. Housekeeping on the other hand was hit or miss on replenishing our beverages and the breakfast room service hang tag menu.

Reading some of the other reviews, I agree the pools and hot tub were not temperature controlled very well. Weekend absolutely had a party crowd but with being in a suite, we really didn't get bothered by it. Come Sunday, it was very much less crowded.

Spa - we both had some treatments which were very good. We recommend using the spa.

Food - above average but nothing to right home about per se.

Daily activities - nothing is communicated well on these at all. There is a general brochure that charts out what is going on each day of the week but we had to seek it out. Also, we knew nothing of the outside dinner / magic show on Sunday and had to eat at MB for a 2nd night in row. WEBSTER took care of us though - great Server!

Lastly, one must remember you are in Mexico, which means for the most part things don't always happen as quickly as you may like. None the less, we had a very good time.

Room Tip: Spring for a suite!
Cornwall, New York
Reviewed 29 November 2011

My husband and I went to Live Aqua for a quick anniversary/ birthday getaway. If you are looking for someplace that immediately relaxes you, this is it! From the eucalyptus aromatherapy throughout the hotel ( and aromatherapy options in your room) to the welcome hand massage, you quickly forget your everyday stresses! We chose this resort because it was adults only ( and that definitely adds to the zenlike atmosphere ) For an "all inclusive," the food was very good (all the ceviches at each restaurant were excellent )
Restaurant MB is most upscale ( we ate there twice) the breakfasts are at Sette and even though it is a buffet, it is a great combination of Mexican and American breakfast food with a terrific juice/ mimosa bar ( the cataloupe is great!)- we wound up going to Azor every day for lunch as you can't beat the outside deck overlooking the ocean. The outdoor couples massage also was terrific.
A couple suggestions- make sure you ask the concierge what activity is scheduled for the evening- they don;t communicate it very well and they typically have a special event of some sort ( fire show, soprano singing at dinner, etc) in the evening. Also, unless you are actually interested in a time share, when checking in, make it clear at the beginning that you are not interested. ( they are very persistent in offering exeditions, massages, etc, for a 90 minute presentation that can extend up to 5 hours!!!)
Now that we know how to navigate that part of it, we are already planning a return trip!

1 Thank robinsonsummerfield