“Extraordinary!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“Extraordinary!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

After an excellent experience for one week at Live Aqua last year, we booked for 10 days this year (March 8 - 18). We were provided with excellent customer service on every turn. Every "It is my pleasure" was delivered with seeming sincerity and a smile. It seems that there is a true focus on training staff at every level to the extent that they truly do convey a consistent atmosphere of "nothing is too much trouble". This was the foundation for a wonderful vacation experience.
Our room was beautiful and well maintained and attended. There were no maintenance problems nor anything that did not appear to be well kept. Cold temperature in the room was readily rectified by simply opening the door to the balcony for a short time. We observed cleaning and painting - maintenance occurring inside and outside the property throughout our stay.
The food in the primary buffet was very good, well organized and adequately staffed. It was surprising to see that some guests did not bother to leave even a $1 tip after a meal. It is nice that there is no need to scramble to make reservations for other restaurants (other than the Lobster restaurant), and, nicer still that there was really no waiting. The best, however, was our experience with Azur Restaurant. While we had excellent service by every staff member, especially outstanding was our waiter Christian. He made our experience so special that we returned multiple nights. The food was prepared exquisitely and was at a level of a 5-star restaurant in the US. We were warmly welcomed and received attentive service and high-end cuisine beyond anything that would be expected at an all-inclusive resort. Christian and Chef Francisco, Manager Jahaziel and Hostess Monzerrat truly do function as a team with outstanding and timely service at a level that is consistent with the quality of the food.
We were made to feel special and every night was a new experience. While we experienced very good service and food throughout the resort, this experience night after night at Azur is the "tipping point" that makes us want to book for two weeks in March 2015 right now (and, maybe sneak in a trip in the fall).
Oh - and, we really appreciated the beverage service on the beach and that the vendors were not pesty.
Jeanne - Eau Claire, Wisconsin USA

2 Thank Jeanne K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,539)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

I’m going to start by saying that I was quiet excited to go to this resort for 3 reasons: is located in a great area, it surprisingly had good reviews and heard the food was good.
Let’s start with the service: The people that first receive you in the entrance to take your luggage and take you to the Front Desk are quiet nice and attentive, the front desk people are ok, some of them very nice as they should be but nothing out of the ordinary. Apparently the highest floors get better treatment even though we were not offered the option which it makes me wonder because the hotel wasn’t even full it was actually pretty dead.
The Rooms: Well the view of the water can really make everything else not matter but in this case I got to say I was quiet disappointed and frustrated with the Room we got (it was an ocean view with a great view for sure as it would be in any hotel when you pay for the view) the finishes throughout the hotel that carry all the way to the rooms and washrooms are just good from far but FAR FROM GOOD, everything is falling apart in that hotel, from the paint to the wall paper to the hinges of the shower door, etc. The air conditioner is set on 20 degrees and even though you have a thermostat to “put it up or down” you can’t! You can only turn the fan off or on but you cannot change the temperature which I’m sorry but is absolutely stupid, I’ve been going to Cancun all my life and I have NEVER seen any hotel with such dumb system, I got to say for me that was a deal breaker as I like to be comfortable while I’m in the room specially in such hot place but instead the whole hotel feels quiet warm all the time. The shower was brutal and again like I said before in all the years that I’ve been going to Cancun I have never had such lame shower, the shower door doesn’t even close, the water pressure is brutal and on top of that the water comes and goes when in the rest of the hotels I have stayed throughout the years they usually have great showers with great water pressure, for such a “Spa feel like Resort” I got to say it has failed to make you feel you are in one to be honest, the balcony glass and railing is quiet lose in the rooms we were in which I consider it to be quiet a liability for them as it is quiet dangerous.

Room Service and Room Cleaning: everyone was very nice but it always took a long time for the food to arrive, we were there for 4 days and 2 of those days when we arrived to the room it had not been cleaned up yet, I think everyone likes to come to a clean room specially when is 4pm already.

Restaurants in the Hotel: there was 6 restaurants in the hotel, Mediterranean, Italian, seafood, international, Mexican & sushi. We didn’t tried the Mediterranean because nothing in the menu sounded good, the Italian restaurant was so so to bad I would say, the food was flavorless, the seafood restaurant you had to pay for and we don’t like seafood so we didn’t bother to look at the menu, the international restaurant had a dress code and the food didn’t sound good, quite frankly I agree to have a no pool clothes in some restaurants but I did saw quite a few disappointed people getting rejected at the entrance because the guy didn’t have a SHIRT but a polo shirt which to me is quiet ridiculous and because the menu didn’t looked good we didn’t try it, the Mexican restaurant was ok nothing bad nothing great and the sushi place I didn’t try it because the sushi that I like that was supposed to be warm was cold so I thought it was kind of gross.

Pools and Beach: the pools were nice, the beach was nice naturally of course except for the very annoying situation that the staff kept telling us to close our umbrellas because it was windy, I’m sorry but it is NOT my problem that you bought a cheap umbrella that can’t stay when Is a bit windy and if you want to close it then at least have the decency of offering one of the beds that cover you a little from the sun that of course you have to pay for without charging us as it is not our problem that THE OWNER PREEFERS TO HAVE 2 ROLLS-ROYCE PARKED IN THE FRONT OF THE HOTEL TO SHOW THEM OFF INSTEAD OF INVESTING THE MONEY TO MAKE THE HOTEL BETTER WHEN IT OVIOUSLY NEEDS IT. The service in the beach was very slow even when you tip the person good they will be gone for like an hour and we felt the hotel was understaffed for sure, I really expected way more from this hotel and I can definitely say I would NOT RECOMMEND IT and I WOULD NOT GO BACK, for that much money I can stay in way better hotels in Cancun, that hotel needs to really put some money into it. Out of 7 elevators only 3 were working in the whole hotel and that is absolutely RIDICULOUS! It took soooo long to go up to the rooms it was quiet annoying, there’s just too many things wrong with this hotel.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Gabriela M
Alfredo S, General Manager at Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review. I regret you weren't pleased with your stay, and that the resort didn't live up to your expectations. I assure you that the circumstances you described are not typical with the high standards that we strive to provide, one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on our facilities, the food and the service. I can assure you that every constructive criticism you’ve shared with us has been taken very seriously by our team in order to keep standards, expected by our guests on the highest level, ensuring your satisfaction.

I remain at your service if there is ever anything I can do for you in the future.

Alfredo Santamaría
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

I traveled to Live Aqua March 2nd-March 7th. I was with a girls group of five for a vacation. It was out time to get away with no kids or husbands. I did a lot of research on Trip Advisor before booking this trip. I have been to many all-inclusive resorts before in Mexico with my kids and husband and this resort truly blew me away like no other. I will highlight some of the wonderful things.

First off I had worked with Nancy who is the concierge on the 5th floor. I was emailing her about upgrading our room. She was SO helpful. We had booked a garden view room but with what I had read the views were much better on the higher floors. We had two rooms on the 9th floor and a BEATIFUL view. The rooms were so clean! They put rice on our beds a few times with different sayings! It was quite neat. Bathroom was great. I had read there was bad water pressure which we never experienced. I went to the 5th floor to introduce myself to Nancy and bring her a little something for all her help! So was SO sweet and KIND. She invited us to the Aqua Club for free drinks and some food. Nancy thanks for the great service.

The beaches were beautiful! The entire resort was so modern and relaxing. The food was so unbelievable for an all-inclusive. I am usually sick of the food after the third day but Live Aqua was gourmet style food. First want to thank Vanessa and Esteban from the sushi bar. They were so NICE and friendly. I wanted to bring Vanessa home with me:) She set up for Chef Eric to cook us dinner for my Birthday at MB. She went above and beyond. She also made the cutest display for my birthday with all my favorite sushi.

Chef Eric….where to begin. The nicest man ever and an unbelievable chef! He made us lobster and filet mignon that was out of this world. The flavor was like nothing I had ever tasted. He found us out at the pool the day before my birthday and told us he had been cooking for us and not to eat too much that day as we would be having a big dinner. WOW is what I can say.

I few other we would like to call out where they went above and beyond as far as service. Fernanda and Jessica who greeted us with hand massages the day we arrived. So sweet and helpful. My friends surprised me with a massage for my birthday and it was one of the nicest spas I had been to.

German the pool server. The nicest man ever. Was always there to wait on us and would even bring a bucket of water without even asking. Make sure to tip these servers a few dollars. It goes a long way and they work so hard to make sure you have everything you need.

Chistian and Roger from AZUR and sous chef Franciso! They all were so nice. We had dinner there twice and one of the nice sous chef Fransico made us our meal. It was delicious. Lobster, steak and tuna. We felt like the luckiest ladies. We did not even look at the menu we were up for them to do what they want. We were all very impressed.

Again, one of the best trips and will for sure be going back there.

Room Tip: Upgrade your room to uppper floors and go the spa!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Shari C
It is with great pleasure I read how our staff exceeded your expectations by taking care of your needs at all times; thank you for sharing the details of what made your stay so memorable and mentioning the names of every team member who made every effort to ensure that you wouldn’t want to leave our hotel, this kind of recognition are always welcome with great enthusiasm by every staff member, as it is our inspiration for success and new achievements. I have already congratulated the members of our staff that you mentioned.

We appreciate your review and recommendations, we will be looking forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home, ready to make every effort to provide you with another pleasurable experience.

Warmest regards,
Alfredo Santamaría
Woodland Park, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

We had never done an all inclusive before and were a little apprehensive...but there was no need, Live Aqua was wonderful. From the beautiful beach to the amazing pools to the great rooms and the delicious food (at all the restaurants) It was an wonderful time. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our favorite restaurant Azur gave us a wonderful dinner and special dessert our last night there. Cristian our waiter was great and the chef Francisco came out to meet us and make sure everything was good. I would definitely recommend Live Aqua!

2 Thank chriscdance
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

One of our best vacation locations. I took over 400 plus photos of the resort and its neighboring sites as we walked the beach north and south of our resort.

What a welcome we received from all of the chefs from the 8 restaurants on the resort. The timing of meeting Eric De Maeyer, the Executive Chef sometimes referred to as "Eric de Maeyer the Great" was priceless. After our photo shoot with them, Eric personally took us to every single one of his restaurants, and introduced us to the chef, and made our reservation with a private dinner prepared exclusively to for us. Eric was really a wonderful person, an awesome chef, a classy host and now our friend. It seemed like we knew this guy forever, what interesting conversations about traveling to Mexico, his home town and his passion for detail, hospitality and gracious services. Thank you Eric.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank roymavila
Hickory, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

We celebrated our son and daughter inlaw's wedding at LIVE AQUA this March. It was beyond expectation! The resort is fantastic. I have never experienced an all inclusive resort, but many cruises. LIVE AQUA in my book is like a luxury cruise on land. The resort is beautiful. The beautiful lobby area. The lush vegetation of the resort makes you feel like you are in paradise. The numerous pools including: the infinite pool looking out to the gorgeous blue ocean water: The lengthy swimming and wadding pool; the enormous spa pool; several other pools and our favorite swim up bar pool. The restaurants and 24 hour / day room service were excellent.
Our wedding was beautiful. It was attended by > 50 of our friends and family plus many, many well wisher in bathing suits from afar in the infinite pool and beach. The girls were attended to by makeup & hair artists. The flowers and white alter on the beach made for such an elegant and was breathtakingly beautiful. We partied late into the the night with the DJ. The photographer captured it all, and more.
We have to give special thanks to a few of the staff that made our stay extra special.
We had a private birthday dinner (for 12) our last night hosted by our Chef Javier. It was the most elaborate meal I have ever had. It was presented so beautifully with each course introduced and explain. Javier's kitchen staff includes: Nelci, Erick, and Cecilia. Javier's wait staff included: Noe and Isaac for this special meal. The wait staff at every meal and every restaurant as well as room service were gracious and attentive.
We also had some special bartenders I would like to mention that made our stay quite fun. From the swim up bar pool Roger, Rodrigue and Janet.
My wife and I started every day visiting Carlos with his great smile and pleasant attitude at the CAFE DELI for morning coffee and pastry. Also the occasional midday panini.
Our room as well as every room at the resort had a beautiful view. The rooms were so spacious and comfortable. I took a picture of our mattress and plan to by a new mattress soon.
There was nothing at our request from any staff member that was met with "out of the question", bur rather: "yes sir, we could do that for you right away".

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank IPTU2SLP
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

First time at L.A., long time traveler to the Cancun area..Staying Mar, 05 to Mar 12 2014

Our first impression of the resort, nice architecture, sleek, modern, easily accessible..

Room, our Aqua suite was outstanding, large , elegant, and the floor layout was perfect..
The terrace outdoor area allowed for a table and four seating chairs on one side and a area for two loungers on the other..Very nice.
Only complaint and this is really nit picking, the shower nozzle ( shower head ) was nothing special..It only shot more of a stream than a dispersed spray..It did not appear adjustable..
Spoiled to other resorts with the body jets built in the wall..

Food, very good in all the restaurants..We met Chef Eric De Maeyer as we were walking into LA for check-in at the resort..We asked for a special dinner, he set us up for the following evening..
Great Filet Mignon and Lobster tail..We had another with chef Eric and had a chance to chat with him for 20 minutes or so..I complimented him on his commitment to the guest's..His reply with a smile was " It's my job and I take it seriously " He does..

Staff, there are so many outstanding service employees, not a one seemed to not enjoy their job and eager to please the guest..
Special mention to Jonathan, the pool mgr, always there to ask if we need something, he was everywhere..
Special mention to Nancy in the Aqua Club for her attention and providing us with exceptional service..
Towel hut employee, Violetta was nothing less than spectacular, Octavio as well..
The Bartenders at AB and Azur are top notch, I would introduce myself to them daily and they would fix a drink to my satisfaction...Never a short pour and primo liquor was served.
I got a chance to chat with the GM, Alfredo Santamaria at the pool one day..He took exception to the cap of another resort I was wearing..He gave me a L.A. cap..Pretty nice..

There was a private beach party for about 400 guests, the scheduled hours were from 8pm to 11pm Saturday night (march 8th)..There were a lot of complaints from guests in that the music was very loud and even with the exterior doors of your rooms closed and the TV on it was easily heard..It spoiled a few romantic dinners on your terrace, I am certain..
I watched some of the show from our terrace, went to bed and was awakened by the DJ announcing "last call" at 11:45 pm, in a very loud voice..
I have been to other resorts where there are outdoor private party functions, just not until midnight. The resort might want to review their policy and limit the hours to what was posted..
That was only one evening, the rest were peaceful..

4 Thank litenlarry