“Live Aqua - Absolutely recommend it”

Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Ranked #5 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Live Aqua - Absolutely recommend it”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Had an amazing honeymoon here in late August. Food, drinks, atmosphere, everything - amazing. The hotel had a very relaxing environment, complete with fantastic aromatherapy notes that were everywhere; loved it. Everything was gorgeous as well, the hotel, the room, the restaurants, the pool, the beach. My wife and I agree that this was the best beach we've been to. Crystal clear water that was the perfect refreshing temperature, soft sand, absolutely stunning. The weather predicted thunderstorms all week for Cancun, so we were a little worried, except we ended up having mostly sunny, beautiful 90 degree days all week, perfect beach weather. The hotel also has a station where you can buy tickets to tourist attractions. I cannot recommend Xcaret highly enough. It's an enormous nature park with so much to do (animals, ruins, interactive exhibits, beaches, underground rivers, food, amazing night show) - I could spend all day writing about it but that's not what I'm reviewing. What really sold Live Aqua (even though everything was amazing anyway) was the phenomenal, kind, attentive staff. Everyone was so friendly and eager to please you - you hear 'It's my pleasure" a lot and it's obvious they're being sincere. In just a short few days, we got to know many of the employees there because they were all so welcoming and wonderful. In the restaurant 'Siete,' we met Antonio, Jorge, Adrian, Jesus and Marco who were all wonderful. Adrian Mata was often our waiter in the morning and very quickly remembered our coffee and meal preferences and would prepare them for us without us even requesting, absolutely terrific. Marco Gama was a chef we had the pleasure of being served by, who was often hard at work at the smoothie/shake bar. He always greeted us with a smiling face and was eager to describe any of the exotic fruits we weren't sure about and prepare a smoothie exactly to our specifications. We ended up seeing Adrian and Marco most often - as we had breakfast there every morning, and it's hard to describe just how great it was to see the same welcoming, smiling faces every morning. You felt like you were going to breakfast at your friends house; they'd flag you down from across the restaurant, ask you how everything is going, and just were all around incredibly pleasant - made the morning. On the beach we had the pleasure of being served drinks by Veronica, who had somehow mastered the art of asking if you wanted another beverage just as you finished. At the 'mb' restaurant, a more formal restaurant at Live Aqua, we had the absolute pleasure of being served my Guillermo. This guy was a serious pro, I don't think I've encountered waitstaff in the U.S. as professional, courteous, and friendly as him. I wish I had a better word to describe him than just friendly because that doesn't do him justice, he clearly took a lot of pride in his job and was not seen without an inviting smile on his face at any point during our stay. We mentioned we were there for our honeymoon and when it came time for dessert, he surprised us with a beautifully decorated plate with "Happy Honeymoon" written on it, and proceeded to heat up and ignite a liquor that he then poured on it. Amazing, romantic, display - loved it. So thrilled. At another restaurant, 'Hidden Garden,' we were served by Roy. This restaurant was outdoors, hidden in a canopy, and was Asian-themed. There was very calm music and elegant decorations - very zen. Roy was the perfect fit to this theme. A very professional waiter with such a calm demeanor and warm smile, he was the embodiment of the environment of the restaurant. There's one other amazing employee who's name I regrettably can't remember. A bartender at the 'Egos' bar we met on 26/08/14, the one with four daughters, haha. As far as bartenders go, he's the best ever. Knew the drinks we preferred, and was able to have an engaging conversation while serving the entire bar. He was so pleasant and seemed truly interested in our story - a great guy to chat with while you have a couple drinks. Apparently I had too many since I can't remember his name! Overall, I highly recommend Live Aqua. I don't think we had a single complaint between my wife and myself. It's hard to go wrong with a relaxing environment, amazingly friendly and welcoming staff, and delicious food that's all included (several restaurants with different themes, 24-hr room service, sushi bar, several bars, panini/coffee shop --- All included!). I'm surprised we only gained about 3 lbs.

Room Tip: We had an affordable garden-view on the first floor. Who cares about the view, because we were on th...
5 Thank Nicholas D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,605)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Charlotte
Reviewed 30 August 2014

From the moment we arrived, we were welcomed with a warm greeting and a hand massage which was incredible. Our room was not ready so we decided to explore. The resort is absolutely breathtaking and feels like paradise. Being an aromatherapy hotel, we felt like were in a spa atmosphere. Every corner of the hotel had an amazing smell which induced relaxation.
When our room was ready, we walked in and it smelled like paint. We immediately called downstairs and within 10 minutes we were upgraded to an oceanfront room with a patio that was spacious and truly beautiful. The bathroom was luxurious with a marble shower and a huge tub.
The first and third nights we ate at the Hidden Garden. It was so romantic and fitting for celebrating our 15 year wedding anniversary. I told my husband I felt like we were on the bachelor on a romantic date. The staff at Hidden Garden went out of their way to make our dinner perfect. They brought us special drinks, appetizers off the menu and special desserts each night. The manager Karla was so attentive to our needs and could not be any nicer. The chef Carlos prepared a special dinner for my husband our last night, shrimp and steak. We absolutely loved our dining experience there.
We enjoyed spending our days by the swim up pool bar. It was a hidden treasure with great service. The waiters served us top shelf liquor upon request. A drink menu would have been an added bonus. They had music playing during the day and had amazing oversized lounge beds that overlooked the ocean. It never felt crowded.
I could go on and on about this hotel. We absolutely loved every minute of our time here. We hope to try the sister resort fiesta Americana with our children next year. This was truly paradise.

5 Thank hartstopper
Alfredo S, General Manager at Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Thank you very much for sharing your review and for mentioning so many positive elements about our resort. I’m very glad to know that your stay with us resulted in such a pleasurable and memorable vacation. Staff members are happy to know that their efforts have been appreciated, thank you for highlighting the excellent service that you received during your stay.

Thank you for your recommendations, we are looking forward to welcoming you back.

North West England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2014

This is not a 5 star hotel. The rooms are shabby and very worn, the enamel was worn off the bath and the furniture was dirty and scruffy. The check in was ok but the check in area has no atmosphere at all and more like a premier Inn. They were inconsistent with the cleaning times so on several times went we went to freshen up they were cleaning. The food was ok but we were there for 16 nights and the menu never changed and as soon as you finished one course they brought the next. It's the only place i have been were i needed a torch to read the menu. The beer and wine is poor quality and the AKA bar needs totally refurbished. The air con is very poor and the floor in the Mexican restaurant is just concrete and often quite dirty. In one restaurant after our first course they took the plates away and put the cutlery we had used on the table for the next course. Obviously i asked for cleans ones and they did bring them, but i have never experienced that one anywhere. The music is not relaxing it is awful, there is no entertainment at all in the evening except for a guy playing a guitar out of tune on the odd night. The beach is beautiful but the sea is very rough and a lot of people couldn't go in it and I think people should be made aware of this in the brochure or in the online description (please take note Thomas Cook) The life guards on the beach ar fantastic and we saw them recuse 3 people whilst we were there. The towels on the sunbeds with no one on them all day sometimes was very annoying and when I complained I was told I could hire a cabanna. We paid £5,800 for this holiday and I certainly don't expect to pay for a sunbed. I must say the staff are excellent, very friendly and genuine. They did put a special meal on for us which was very nice but then the manager came out with a trip advisor card with the names of the waiters waitresses chef and her name on it, again I've never experienced that before. Last year we stayed at the Excellence Rivera Cancun and it was fabulous. So I recommend you stay there.

11 Thank Irene C
It is my regret that our resort did not live up to your expectations; as our only desire is to make your vacation as enjoyable as you expect it to be. We believe that there is always a room for improvement and we always consider our guests' feedback as the most reliable and valuable source of direction to perfection. Although many travelers find Live Aqua Cancun to be a great place for romantic and relaxing getaway, with excellent food options and outstanding service, I do understand that the concept of our hotel does not suit your kind of lifestyle.

I would like to remind all of our guests that if you want to eat something that is not in our restaurants, please let us know, and our Chef will be more than happy to prepare a special meal for you, if the ingredients are available.

If there is anything I can do for you in the future, please let me know.

Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

We came here because our travel agent recommended it for honeymooners that want to relax and eat well. My wife and I have to say that this resort fell nothing short of awesome. The room service was on point, the spa was excellent and relaxing, having both massage services and spa relaxation services. We reserved the Aqua Suite upgrade, and it was well worth it!! Being able to rent a cabana every day with a 20 minutes foot massage was excellent. Go next to the Sea corner restaurant and ask for Amanieal. His service was matched only by the service we got at MB restaurant. Oswaldo introduced us to his friend, and our new friend, Edson. Edson took very good care of us, along with Alejandro and Chef Gabriel Leon. They made dinner a memorable and capped off an already 5 star experience. If you are looking for cleanliness, great value, pleasant staff, beautiful beaches, refreshing (not ice cold) and clean pools, and a relaxing experience, Live Aqua Cancun is your destination.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Christopher H
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. It is a pleasure for me to know that your experience at Live Aqua Cancun exceeded your expectations; our number one priority is to make every guest experience exceptional and unique as it can be, thank you for letting us know how memorable and special your staying with us was.

It will be an honor to have you as our guest again, please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any assistance for your next stay.

Reviewed 29 August 2014

I booked through Travelocity.Com after a lot of research. Expedia and Travelocity offer the same prices. CheapCaribbean seems to be a bit more expensive. We paid $3600 for 3 persons, 5 nights with flight included from Atlanta, Georgia (direct) for an ocean-front bedroom. You can get it cheaper if you book at least 3 months in advance. We booked only 2 weeks in advance.

WEATHER: Do not let the weather forecast for RAIN or THUNDERSTORM scare you. The weather forecast predicted 60% or more chances of rain for us in August but it did NOT rain there.

PRICE: Prices vary a lot depending WHEN you book your vacation. If certain price is too high from Expedia or Travelocity, TRY CHANGING THE DATES. Flight rates fluctuate a lot depending on dates.

THIS IS AN ALL-INCLUSIVE ONLY, ADULT ONLY property.

FOOD: Restaurante Azur Cenas was great. The last night, the chef made us SPECIAL dinner for free. His name is Francisco Cruz. The food was AMAZING. Enrique (the waiter) and Monzemat (the hostess) were also very kind, attentive and offered great service. Other than Azur, there are at least 5 other restaurants to choose from. The food is fairly good - not excellent, but I do have very high standards for food. They have Italian, Mexican, sushi, international menu, and Asian fusion. THe breakfast buffet has a lot of variety.

SERVICE: I give them 5 stars here. THe service is EXCELLENT. They clean you room TWICE (morning and night). They ask how you are doing, how your stay has been, they are quick to help. I think in terms of service, this place is EXCELLENT. The sushi chef (Javier) and everyone else working at the sushi bar amazed me with their energy, friendliness and attentiveness.

THE BEACH: Beautiful. You will have direct access to the beach, towels, the pools, the cocktails, everything you want.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the ocean front room. It is worth it.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Sofia J
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review; it’s a privilege to know that Live Aqua Cancun lives up to your expectations in every aspect of the most relaxing vacation: food and beverage selection, facilities and comfort of your room, and certainly, the service, which is the greatest and probably most important element of our resort.

We are looking forward to your next visit; do not hesitate to contact us for any pre-arrival arrangement.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 August 2014

When I booked this hotel. I wanted a 5-Star Experience, a place where I have no worries, no noise from kids, and a romantic time. Unfortunately, I did not receive all of that. The hotel had great ratings and so I went for it and paid premium rate for it. There were some pros and cons with this hotel. The pros- The hotel dining experience was great. The food was awesome, great restaurants, in- room dinning was prompt and professional. The hotel views were great both from the room and from the pools. Now the cons- the hotel- in room cleaning was horrible. Very often, they wouldn't clean the room, provide new towels or put fresh soaps and shampoos. Twice, my wife and I would come back from the beach to shower around 4pm we would come to the same room we left it in. There were no fresh towels, soaps or linens. This was an inconvenience, and not worthy of 5 star. When I called the front desk to tell them, they offered to send someone; thats nice, but I shouldnt be doing that at all and where would I go while I wait for the cleaning. My room had a mini bar- but was not stocked with any wine bottles like other 5 star hotels. It was just stocked with just sodas and beer. Instead, they told me I have to call to get a glass of wine. The previous 5 star hotels Ive stayed at, ALWAYS had clean fresh linens, towels and soaps. The towels by pools were a disaster as well. People would often put their towels on chairs and reserve several seats and it would take hours before they come back, thats if they do. Other hotels I've stayed at, they would assign people to go around and if a seat has towels that wasnt utilized for a while, they would collect those towels- but not this hotel. In addition, there were not any activities in this hotel in the evenings unlike other hotels. When I asked if there were, they told us to go to Coco bongo in the evenings. Another problem I experienced was that many of the maids or waiters didnt understand English. I understand I was in Mexica and the native language is Spanish, but ALL tourists know English- atleast basics. On our last day, the front desk called us to give us our welcome package- thats after 7 days! Being on our honey moon- I regret picking this hotel to stay at and wish I had chose a different 5 star hotel that would not frustrate me as this

6 Thank mswassif
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review, your feedback is very important for us and it is my regret that we were not able to meet your expectations, one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food and the service. More than any other aspect of our business it is our service we take great pride in. We have been recognized by almost all our TripAdvisor reviewers, as one of the hotels with the best staff in Cancun; I regret that service received during your vacation did not live up to the expectations of luxurious and relaxing experience. I can assure you that every constructive criticism you’ve shared with us has been taken very seriously by our team in order to keep standards, expected by our guests on the highest level, ensuring your satisfaction.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your stay with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. I remain at your service if there is ever anything I can do for you in the future.

Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, great service, best dinner , Carlos the restaurant manager, chef : Joaquin and Francisco , waiters Tonyo and Luis , they all provided an excellent service and superb attitude , very professional and attention to details , Jonathan the beach waiter will go out of his way to accommodate you

Stayed August 2014