“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

The room we booked was supposed to be a Jr. Suite with two furnished terraces w/lounge chairs and robes. When we checked in were taken to room 324 (I think?), room was spacious, clean but terraces overlooked the Riu - you looked right into their pool area and also the parking lot and construction storage area...lots of bricks. Terraces were small and only had a small plastic chair on each. We would have accepted the small terraces without complaint if the view had not been so horrendous. When asked for a room change, the manager spent time searching for another room and wasn't able to accommodate us for two days. This was fine, but it interfered w/our schedule as we now had to be available that day for "the move". This also created more tips that had to handed out. The second room (548) had a nice view of the pool area, but the terraces were even smaller than the first....no lounge chairs or robes. We dealt as this wasn't something that would ruin our vacation.

We were approached as soon as we checked in about attending the time share presentation and offered a free breakfast and discounted excursion rates. We scheduled this for first thing Sunday Morning, just as were leaving room to meet rep for breakfast we were called and told that timeslot was all filled and need to postpone till Tuesday. We (family of four) got up early to attend this and scheduled our events around this....I asked if they would still give us the complimentary breakfast since it was such notice of cancellation, which they honored - but if I didn't ask for it they wouldn't have offered it to us. When we did attend the time share presentation Lilly was wonderful and very nice, when she dropped us off in the office for the "big sales pitch" I was totally turned off. After deciding we were not interested, and her thanks but no thanks she became extremely pushy and wouldn't take no for an answer - I must have said it to her 10 different ways....first politely then not so politely. This was such a turnoff!!!

Most of the staff was friendly and helpful...Hector always had a big smile and available for any questions. Too bad they don't give you what you are paying for.....this was disappointing.

Room Tip: Stay away from Room 348 - overlooking the Riu pool area.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Chris1613

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Adirondack Mountains
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Love this place. Staff is wonderful. Good Location. Large clean rooms. Not overcrowded. Second stay even better than first. Will return again!

Room Tip: higher floors (4 and 5) have best view
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Traveler-Col
FACUCancun, General Manager at Fiesta Americana Villas Cancun, responded to this review, 1 April 2012
I would like to acknowledge receipt of your comments regarding your recent stay at Fiesta Americana Villas Cancun. We appreciate you taking the time to share with us your experience
and I look forward to seeing you back soon.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

This hotel is perfectly located near restaurants and shopping. The hotel is older but well maintained, excellent value for money. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious and we really appreciated the kitchenette. The beach and pool areas are great and the restaurant is a lovely spot for a meal or a drink looking out over the water. The food was average but reasonably priced. Lots of activities throughout the day for those who are interested.

Room Tip: The hotel has both smoking and non-smoking floors.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank dcbvan
FACUCancun, General Manager at Fiesta Americana Villas Cancun, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Dear dcbvan,

I am really glad to know that you spent a wonderful time at your home FA Villas Cancun and I look forward to seeing you soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed here for one night in October 2011. The rooms we large, clean and comfortable. The hotel is in a fantasic location, near shopping and popular night life spots. I think this hotel is a great value for the location.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FACUCancun, General Manager at Fiesta Americana Villas Cancun, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
I would like to acknowledge receipt of your comments regarding your stay at Fiesta Americana Villas Cancun. We appreciate you taking the time to share with us your experience.

I am really glad to know that you spent a wonderful time at your home FA Villas Cancun and I look forward to seeing you this year.

Whitehorse, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

The hotel is located on the northern end of the hotel zone but within walking distance of many shops, restaurants and entertainment. The hotel is older but very clean and well maintained; the staff are friendly and helpful. The suite was spacious and the kitchen came fully equiped.

Room Tip: Kitchens in the suites come fully equiped
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NorthernTraveller98
We appreciate you taking the time to share with us your experience.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

I had to travel to Cancun on business and my company’s local people took care of the hotel reservations. The Villas Cancun hotel is centrally located in the hotel strip zone of Cancun and there are many shops, restaurants and businesses within walking distance. Check in was quick and friendly and my room was very nice and clean. I liked the fact that the room had tiles instead of carpets.

The restaurant service and food was very good and I would highly recommend it.

The only problem I encountered immediately after check in was the fact that wireless (or hardwired) internet access was only available in the Hotel lobby area. As a business traveler, this I something that I need to have in my room or at least the hotel bar or restaurant area! After my stay, I received an e-mail from the hotel asking me to fill out the usual customer survey and in it I did mentioned my dissatisfaction with the lack of wireless.

I promptly received an email from the general manager stating the following:

Following up on your comment, I would like to inform to you that we are managed in a concept of a Vacation Club and our standards does not include wireless internet in the rooms, so we do not consider the installation.

Unfortunately, that response did not explain which type of “standard” would not allow wireless internet access in the rooms or restaurant.

Bottom line, a good hotel for families that are looking for a nice quiet vacation. If you are a business person, consider staying in a hotel that offer internet access in all areas. Trust me, there are tons of hotels to chose from in Cancun!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Dansladen
FACUCancun, General Manager at Fiesta Americana Villas Cancun, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
We appreciate you taking the time once again to share with your thoughts and recommendations. I am truly sorry that we could not offer internet in the rooms for you, but we are operated as a family retreat hotel, which is why for emergencies we offer the service completely free at the lobby.

We thank you for sharing your experience and hope you come back to enjoy a beautiful getaway with your family.

Hacienda Heights, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

My husband and I have membership in this resort and we just don't get tired of going back over and over. We have been there 5 times and have no regrets. Our last visit was this past January 2012. Their service is great. The restaurant is excellent in their food and location. Their beach area is perfect. We just love it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple