“Good place to tan and relax”

Ranked #21 of 180 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“Good place to tan and relax”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

From arrival in the taxi, the service was excellent. Our luggage (and groceries!) we're hurried away before we even checked in, which was very speedy. Granted, the hotel was by no means at full capacity. Never heard a word about any time-share sales pitch. There is a gym and small store.

We booked the Jr Suite which is described as Ocean View on Orbitz.com, but we arrived at a ground floor room with only partial pool view. The front desk moved us to the fourth floor when I asked for a better view, but which was still only Pool View/partial Ocean View. The room was gorgeous and clean. The kitchen was very usable, there was a giant flat screen tv (which of course we never turned on), and a large tub with a clear shower door, obviously geared to romance. Not one but two hidden air conditioners keep the room cold, with two thermostats for separate temps for the bedroom and living room - nice touch. The fold out sofa-bed was pleasant to lounge/nap on, but awkward to sit on as a couch, because it kept sliding out into the bed position. The balcony attached to the bedroom is standing room only. The balcony off the living room was just big enough for two small, plastic chairs but adequate for watching the setting sun. The maid cleaned the room like we were the King and Queen, even tidied and folded our clothes! The sink trap in the kitchen fell off and someone came with ten minutes to fix it.

The beach is very small, and a portion of it quite rocky. But the water is deep enough for a challenging swim. The beach at the monstrous hotel next door, the RIU Palace, was relatively packed and in shadow for a good portion of the afternoon, so +1 Villas, especially if you are a sun worshiper. Unfortunately I found the cabana music loud and there's no escaping it as the beach is just a few feet from the massage, pool and restaurant.

Breakfast we cooked ourselves, and we ate out in the club area each night, just a ten minute walk from the hotel. The one time we did try the restaurant, the food was excellent, I had the fish and she had the tortilla soup.

The pool and jacuzzi 'close' at a disappointing 9pm, enforced by security. The jacuzzi was lukewarm and not particularly enjoyable. Most of the families I saw at the resort were locals.

Overall a pleasant and relaxing four-day stay.

Room Tip: The only true Ocean View rooms are the suites on the northern ends of this U-shaped hotel. They also...
1 Thank Jason H
Roberto I, Gerente at Fiesta Americana Villas Cancun, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
I am really glad to know that you spent a pleasant and relaxing staying at Fiesta Americana Villas Cancun.

We look forward to having the opportunity of serving you again, if there is anything else that we could do for you, please let us know.

Fiesta Americana Villas Cancun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Just got home from there. We'll miss it. Great Location; wonderful, friendly service. True Mexican feel (i.e. not Las Vegas). Not all-inclusive so you can try all the great restaurants in town, but food in La Palapa is excellent. Great beach. Simple life style, not glamorous.

Room Tip: Great views from top floor.
3 Thank PALady66
Roberto I, Gerente at Fiesta Americana Villas Cancun, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
It has been a pleasure to know that you spent a wonderful time at our facilities. Certainly, our Mexican style is one of our qualities that make our guests want to come back.

We look forward to having the opportunity of serving you, during your next visit to the beautiful beaches of Cancun, if there is anything else that we could do for you, please let us know.

Camillus, New York
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My wife and I are members of their vacation club. We know it is not the best hotel in terms of amenities, modern buildings, but it is on a great piece of beach, the atmosphere is friendly and quiet. Most of the families are from Mexico and the children are well behaved and respectful. The breakfast buffet is excellent and the beach wait staff, Sylvia and Rafaela, were excellent and made our days on the beach wonderful. They really work hard and are just wonderful to every one and were very attentive. We did a couples spa experience and it was wonderful and relaxing. Our room was a large bedroom and a living room with a kitchen and refrigerator. The mattress was comfortable and we really cannot complain about the rest of the room. The tub will likely need to be replaced but it worked and was not a problem. This is not a 5 star hotel and if you want to come to relax and have a quiet time on the beach with great views of the water and no pressure to do anything other than read a book on the beach in quiet, this is the place. We may have a bias as we are vacation club member but we feel like family as the same bellboys, waiters, and staff are there and recognize us every time we come to the hotel and have taken very good care of my wife and I. When you look at monstrosity of the adjoining hotels, you appreciate the atmosphere. The hotel is also ideally located near a plaza and a Starbucks in plaza karacol. The well known Cancun night clubs are a few blocks south if you wish to go there. We did not eat dinner as we went out every night but lunch was good and the buffet for breakfast was nice and very Mexican. My only complaint was the pressure to go to another timeshare meeting after which you are corralled to a salesman in a very high pressure to buy now timeshare deal. We repeatedly told them we did not wish to go. We bought in to this timeshare in 2001 and we have a great value for what we have. It is analogous to buying Apple stock at 25 dollars and now it is at the peak so why buy more if there is not much more value to be had is how my wife and I feel. We had to be rude to the nice woman who is our customer service representative that we did not wish to sit down with them and all we wanted to do was relax on the beach and that attending that timeshare spiel was not our idea of relaxation after 4 months of very stressful work and family life. The salesman that you are led to can be rude and in the past, a pen was slammed on the desk on front of us for not buying, makes buying a used car seem like a day in kindergarten. My wife and I were appalled and we will never go back to be treated that way again. You may have to say no numerous times to the point of being rude so you can relax in peace, which is the reason why we come there. Other than that, we love the location and the atmosphere. Just be firm if you don't wish to see the timeshare presentation.

Room Tip: Center rooms have a great view and balcony.
3 Thank Jimcuse
Roberto I, Gerente at Fiesta Americana Villas Cancun, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
I have shared your comment with the Sales Management, in order to avoid similar situations in the future. I am truly sorry this situation affected you during your staying.

On the other hand, I will pass your congratulatory words with Silvia and Rafaela. I am certain this motivates all of us to keep searching for excellence.

Anaheim, California
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Great service, people working here are very nice and friendly!
The location is great! close to downtown, with all the services you can need. The Spa is very nice.The gym is basic but you are not going to Cancun to train anyway. Food is fresh, the fish was awesome.Very good Pizza, made in a real Italian style oven. The cooks were very friendly and ready to prepare dishes of your taste, amazing!!!
Nice small beach with privacy. Also beautiful swimming pool.
The front desk and the waiters very attentive and ready to assist with anything you needed. The entertainment was great with the coordinator. You have a REAL Lifeguard in the beach during business hours, always ready to help or assist if necessary. The Management team was also very helpful in two occasions I requested to speak with them.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ricardo B
I am really glad to let you know that we have in consideration the purchase of the new equipment for our fitness center and we hope to get them for the second semester of this year.

On the other hand, I will share your review with our staff. I am certain this motivates all of us to keep searching for excellence.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed at the Fiesta American Villas Cancun in November 2013. I would NOT recommend this hotel and will not return here... ever.

We had a bad experience here and had to switch to another room but not until the next day:
-The roof had a water leak from the rain. There was a puddle of water in the living room.
-Air conditioning not working properly. It was constantly hot and humid.
-Green mold growing on patio/balcony roof. Dripped water constantly.
-Patio chairs were dirty and splattered with paint.
-Another couple entered our room with us already inside??? Apparently, hotel mistakenly assigned the room to two separate parties. Very embarrassing hotel could not keep track of this.
-Power outage for 3 hours during the evening.

They kept giving us dinner vouchers due to our complaints but the restaurant had mediocre food.

Pros:
-Great location in the hotel zone. Close to restaurants and nightclubs, etc.

Cons:
-Small beach, kind of rocky.
-Poorly working refrigerated AC.
-Old hotel that badly needs renovation. Dry cracked paint. Spotty wifi.
-They only have one restaurant on site and it is very expensive with not so good food.
-Location of their mothership, known as the Fiesta American Vacation Club.

Avoid being conned and do not to their "90 minute" presentation about their vacation club/time share. It is a high pressure tactic, high stress presentation to join their vacation club for 40 years. Minimum buy in was like $40,000 to $50,000 and up. The salesmen are well trained and lie with utter ease and calculation. Read the contract carefully. They will tell you many lies that are all verbal and not written in the contract. Lies like being able to stop paying the dues if you get tired and can walk away. Lies like if you get tired of the membership, they will help you sell it for high profit.

Just remember it is a legally binding contract for 40 YEARS that can be enforced even here in the USA. From what I have read on online forums and websites, they will send you to an external US collecting agency if you stop paying, harass you with phone calls and it can ultimately affect your credit score. Remember that negative items on your credit report stay for 7 years. So be very careful and protect yourself.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank HamletTX
Roberto I, Gerente at Fiesta Americana Villas Cancun, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
I am truly sorry to hear that our facilities did not fulfill your expectations, please accept my most sincere apologies. I would like to let you know that this year we get the authorization for the investment projects for approximately 1 million dollars in order to improve our image. For example, during last month’s we get the new lounge chairs for the beach/pool zone, the new chairs and tables for the terraces, some washing machines, dryers, we change all the roof tiles in the Club, parking lot floor and we changed all the bed clothes last June. Also, we are close to start with the maintenance/painting for the façade, change of some bath tubs, change of some structures of the windows, some kitchenettes and new equipment for our fitness center.

Although we have a preventive maintenance program for our equipment and facilities, sometimes we have unexpected issues as with the power outage on November 2013, nevertheless our Maintenance staff worked for hours and was corrected.

I look forward to having the opportunity of serving you and your family as you deserve, if there is anything else that we could do for you, please let us know.

Ball Ground, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 28 December 2013

The location is good with a few shopping areas nearby but not many restaurants. The single restaurant on location is OK but limited in their offerings and rather expensive. However, everything in Cancun is expensive so plan on paying upwards of $25 to $30 USD per person per meal regardless of where you eat in the hotel zone. The room was nice, well equipped and clean. The setting of the hotel was great with a huge pool and great views. The beach is limited but the biggest drawback for us were the few beach chairs available, on the first day we couldn’t get anything other than a high back chair for one while the others sat on a beach wall. The staff is great, attentive and friendly. We plan to go back to Cancun but will probably go with an all inclusive location with additional restaurant options.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Scott T
I am really glad to let you know that during last month’s we get the new lounge chairs for the beach/pool zone.

On the other hand, I would like to comment that we have changed our Lunch and Dinner menus and we upgraded our special dinners such as the Pasta buffet on Wednesdays, Oriental night (variable), Tacos buffet on Fridays and Grill night on Saturdays.

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We just returned from a 4 night stay at this lovely little hotel. It is the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in, with someone mopping or washing windows all through the day. It is a five story hotel that was designed to look like a traditional Mexican village that sits between two huge hotels that could be transplanted to Vegas. The bedding is all white and spotless and the beds are comfy. Even our standard room had a new small refrigerator, microwave, sink, plates, and utensils. The floors are tiled marble--watch out that can get slippery. We had access to a free washer and dryer. When we rented a car, there was a free guarded parking area. Beach towels and comfortable lounges were available on the small, calm, and beautiful white sand beach. The pool area is also lovely. The air conditioning was easily controlled and our room was always comfortable. There was a flat screen television. You can walk to nearby stores and restaurants or catch the constantly passing buses into town or farther down to the super expensive malls. Buses cost about $1.00 per person. I cannot say enough positive things about this hotel. Oh, did I mention it is one of the most reasonably priced hotels offered by the major travel package companies? I've stayed in other "bargain" Mexican hotels, and believe me this hotel is far superior to any of them. This is not an all-inclusive hotel, but we don't want to stay drunk and gain ten pounds on our vacation anyway! They do sell time shares, but all you have to do is tell them you have no interest and they do not bother you again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nancy L
I am really glad to know that you spent a wonderful time in our facilities and our services did please you.