“Great hotel, shame about the noise, and there is quick and free WiFi” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Terracaribe Hotel

Terracaribe Hotel
Ranked #110 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Reeuwijk, The Netherlands
“Great hotel, shame about the noise, and there is quick and free WiFi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

Our taxi didn't have any trouble finding this hotel. When you say Lopez Portillo, corner Bonampak everybody knows where it is.
The good things about Hotel Terracaribe are: Very good free WiFi, the room (very clean, spacious, good firm beds, large closet, good shower), the mosquito-screens in the windows, the air conditioning, the staff, the (small) pool, the small cheap restaurant, the location (not in the hotel zone, close to the bus), near a store that is open 24 hours per day (EXTRA at the PEMEX gas station and another EXTRA past the church). The whole hotel is very clean. After 3 PM there is no sun by the pool.
The Superior rooms with 2 beds are on the street side, so there is a lot of noise. I asked via email for a quiet room and got an offer that we could move to another room. We chose for our first option the Superior room.
Our superior room was large with 2 large beds, a shared bedside table with drawer, two chairs, a table, a desk / dressing table with two drawers and a large mirror. There is a TV with Mexican stations, air conditioning and two lamps, one of which is a fan. In the large closet there are only three hangers, and a small shelf with a safe.
The towels were changed every day, they are nice and thick but they are sometimes frayed. You get a small bottle of water every day. It is unfortunate that there is no reading light in the room and there are no cups. The bathroom has a small sink, (there is no room for your own stuff), a toilet and a large shower with a large shower (very good!).
In our room the safe was closed when we arrived. We couldn't open it. We did mention a few times to the frontdesk, that our safe was still closed, but after 9 days we found that the manager could probably open it. Even the manager could not open it. We could change rooms for one with a working safe.
Rooms with 1 double bed are partially in the tower at the pool, those have a small balcony and are probably quieter.
It is a shame, that there is so much noise: both noise from the street, and the people sitting at the restaurant in the courtyard. This courtyard entirely of stone, so the sound is not muted. There is no lift in the hotel. The pool is in the shadow after 3 PM .When we were there in February 2013 there was chopping near the restaurant, it began at 9 AM, but this noise didn’t last all day ...
There is an endpoint of the R1's bus on Av. Lopez Portillo, approximately 150 m to the left as you leave the hotel.
At the bus station, near the hotel zone, you can change from R1 to bus R2 to Wallmart and market 28. Maybe market 28 is fun in the daytime, in the evenings there are just some tourist shops.
When you walk toward Puerto Juarez right from the hotel you will pass a small shopping center with nice local restaurants and a greengrocer.

Except the shopping malls, we couldn’t find a cozy street in Cancun with restaurants where you could eat outside and look at the people walking by. Near the bus station in Cancun, towards the hotel zone, there seem to be some streets with restaurants.
In Isla Mujeres and Playa del Carmen there are nice cozy streets with restaurants.

Tip:
- Go with the R1 bus to the hotel area (fee for any distance 8.5 pesos) to eat and go to the beach. The bus drivers drive like madmen. It's fun just to sit in the bus and do the roundtrip.
- Go to the Isla Mujeres. Some (red) R1's go through to Puerto Juarez, there you can take the ferry to Isla Mujeres. Isla Mujeres is very cozy and has beautiful beaches. The North Beach was not so windy, and had a quiet sea, good beach with chairs and umbrellas. When you walk a bit it’s nice…
On the ferry you can hire a golfcart for a guided trip round the island.
- Go to Playa del Carmen and Tulum by ADO bus. In the bus station you can take an ADO bus to the airport, or to other cities nearby. We found Playa del Carmen cozier than Cancun, because it has such a lively shopping and dining street.
We took an ADO bus to the ruins of Tulum. That was easy. In Tulum you can hire a guide or buy a guidebook in the shop.
You can also take this bus to Xelha, Xcaret and Xplore.
The ADO buses are very good buses. There was a toilet in the bus. You can even see a dubbed movie in Mexican.

Room Tip: -Rooms with 1 double bed are partially in the tower at the pool, those have a small balcony and are...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank avmn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Cologne Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 1 week. Before I booked this hotel, I read the reviews here already and thought for the price it was ok, since I am not a person with high requirements. As I arrived, I was welcomed by the boss personally (he was on duty at the time) and very helpful. He spoke English very well. So communication is no problem at all.

I booked a single room. He gave me one in the building near the poor. But that room was without balcony. The room itself was really clean!!! And it was in perfect condition. The bathroom was modern and good. I told them not to make my room everyday, but the lady still did it. I found it a bit wasting of time and energy.

Since I couldn't used my window properly (window is along the corridor, so I couldn't keep the curtain), and the room with balcony was not occupied, I talked to the friendly clerk politely. After consulation with his boss, he gave me a beautiful room with balcony without extra charge, which I appreciated a lot! This made my rest 5 nights really enjoyable. All of them can speak English very well and they were helpful all the time.

The WiFi was fast and free. Due to my work, I need it. So it is also perfect for me.

I didn't use the swimming poor and wirlpool. But I did see the boys/ladies clean them every morning.

I myself found the location good. It is downtown, everything is in walking distance. The bus stop to Hotel Zona (taking Bus R1) or to the ferry for island "Isla Rujeres" is just 2-3 min walk. To ADO there are many mini-vans (Collectivo) for 6 pesos. From ADO you can take the bus to the airport or to any other places for sightseeing/excursions. Around there are so many local restaurants at fair prices. Supermarket and shopping mall are also around.

All in all, it is a perfect stay. I would highly recommend to stay here, except you want to comfort and treatment like a 5 star hotel.

(BTW, I am from Germany, but with Asian origin).

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank sunny g
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

The staff is the best I have encountered, in a long time . They go way out of their way to make you feel at home .The staff always remembers your name and always with a smile. I was asked all the time if everything was ok and of course it was.The rooms are so clean, you don't have to worry about a thing . I will be staying there again on my next trip to Cancun !!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank rdave1700
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

This hotel is not in the most desirable location however that is not its major flaw. When I arrived at this hotel checkout was speedy. Proceeded to room and was surprised when the bathroom did not have any towels or face cloth. Dialed 0 on the phone for the front desk and was surprised yet again with a busy signal. After several fail attempts to reach the front desk I got up and walked to the front desk where the receptionist was standing outside smoking a cigarette. I will Sum up this horrible experience quickly:

Room: Small, Dark and very Noisy! If you read the other reviews it is mentioned how noisy it is but you wonder really how loud it can be... IT’S LIKE SLEEPING ON THE STREET, PAPER THIN WALLS! I heard my neighbor use the bathroom, shower and when they left! The safe that they have in the room is a joke it’s the size of a matchbook, my Kindle wouldn’t fit inside it.. You have to get a key the size of an old treasure case from receptionist. This hotel is OLD.
Outdated: Pool is a joke; bedding reminds you of a 1980’s room in Vegas without the wall art.
Service: None told the receptionist my gripes and all he said was take it up with Hotwire.

I stayed at 3 hotels during my stay in Mexico over the Holiday, Terracaribe Boutique Hotel, Oasis Sens Adult Oriented All Inclusive and Me by Melia (BEST). YOU can find my review for all 3 on tripadvisor!

Room Tip: Look elsewhere! Ramada has the best looking hotel Downtown.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Net D

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

we called to secure a room and when they pressured us credit card number for a hold on the room we gave it with the understanding it was to see the room before we booked it , they refused to release the charges even though we never checked in nor did we sign anything and we are still fighting with visa ..... Victor the manager was very very unreasonable , I will never stay there and next time i travel to mexico i plan on going in personally and talking to the head person , they gave me the run around and i was never sure i was speaking to the person in charge

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Larry C
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

I booked this hotel through one of those sites that don't tell you the name until after you book. On that site, it was described as a "boutique" hotel, which got me excited, and then disappointed. But the hotel's own website doesn't mention "boutique", it just shows amazing pictures of the rooms and grounds. In actuality, this hotel reminds me of a Super 8 or Motel 6 in the USA. It's located on a somewhat busy intersection in Downtown Cancun, with no real exterior identification. The check-in was fine, there is no elevator so I schlepped my heavy suitcase up the stairs. There is a small "restaurant" that seemed to only be open for breakfast, and I didn't partake, so I can't comment on that.

The room itself was large. The AC was either on full-blast freezing you to death, or off. And it was loud. As was the AC from other rooms, making for a noisy night. When I entered the room, the AC hadn't been running so it was hot and stuffy.

The bathroom is basic, with a walk-in shower. Good pressure, plenty of hot water. A small bottle of shampoo and soap.

I originally booked this room as a cheap place to crash for a one-night layover in Cancun, and it did the job. But I wouldn't want to stay here more than a night.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank tjug685
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

This was a great nice clean hotel not too far from downtown or the beach attractions. Stayed here one night on two separate occasions on a recent yucatan trip. Parking for a rental car was a plus. Staff was friendly and helpful, room was clean and comfortable, and a short taxi to the club area and beach was only 100 pesos.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends