“Near the bus station”

Ranked #148 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Iowa City
“Near the bus station”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Hotel Alux is only a block from Ciudad Cancun's bus station, which is both its greatest strength and its greatest weakness. On the plus side, it is very easy for even a disoriented, exhausted, overburdened gringo to find at any hour of day or night, being conspicuous and on a main street. On the minus side, the noise from said main street made sleep difficult for me (though my companion was fine with it). If you're a light sleeper like me, bring ear plugs and/or try for a room away from the street. Besides the bus station, Hotel Alux is also conveniently close to a big supermarket, an entertaining plaza, and some Internet cafes.

The halls were a bit dark & narrow. The bathroom was clean, the beds were big & fine, the TV & hot shower worked, and there were no bugs. Breakfast had plenty of options: toast, cereal, fruit, yogurt, juices. The cost for 2 of us was about $40. Although the desk clerk didn't know English, someone does, as an important notice (that the city would be shutting off electricity for maintenance work) was posted in front in English.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, avoid rooms by the main street.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Matt B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London
Reviewed 4 February 2012

This hotel is quiet, comfortable and perfectly located for the bus station. No complaints!
If you carry on past Hotel Alux and turn right when you reach Oxxo, there is a nice place to eat up that street on the right. Soup, main dish and a drink for 45pesos, decent sized portions and delicious!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Laura R
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Aux on my way back from a summer swimming with the whale sharks in Holbox Mexico. Bottom line, I needed a place near the bus station/airport before I jetted back to the states, my flight was early and to try and get to the airport and do all the bs would be cutting it too close. I was traveling solo, so I took the 1 pm ferry out of Holbox to Chiquila and wound up in Cancun at the ADO terminal about 5. I found the Hotel Alux online, read a couple Trip Advisor reviews and made a reservation online for a room for 35 bucks which I paid for with most of my remaining pesos! Requested a low floor because I had heavy bags and wound up on #2!
Struggled out of the ADO terminal with my bags and the decision was easy. Even though I had spotted the Hotel Alux only two blocks from the terminal, I had enough pesos to sport twenty to the crusty old dude with the hand truck who offered to take the load. I could barely keep up, and 5 minutes later, I gave him thirty(what's a dollar for a smile!). And there I was at the front desk of Hotel Alux. I was looking for a place to shower, sleep, and be on my way, and I was pleasantly surprised.
The two people at the front desk were super nice! It cost exactly thirty five bucks as advertised, and I humped my stuff up only one staircase to my room. Inside, I smiled again. Full sized bed--would even work for two for sure if you're not a spoiled couple, and it was clean, had an awesome a/c, and a clean bathroom with an excellent shower with good pressure! And a small tv with lot's of channels, and even a couple in English for those who have not or never attempt to immerse yourselves in the Spanish language or Mexican culture!
Outside in Cancun, plenty of places to eat and grab a few cold cervezas! All within walking distance! Later, I slept well-not that noisy even though on a fairly busy street, and if that's a problem, get some earplugs!
So anyway, for what it is, and how it was advertised, Hotel Alux gets 5 stars in my book! It's not a resort, it's a place to keep your stuff, shower, and sleep. Perfect for a day or two, or screw it, save alot of money to spend on all the other cool things that Mexico has to offer!
Who wants to stay in their room, anyway?!
I felt so good the next morning, I took a cab to the airport(15 min) instead of the bus! Ow!

Room Tip: It's just a place to sleep and keep your stuff--why not stay on a low floor?
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank captpedro
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Have stayed at this hotel twice now, as it is really handy for Cancun bus station. Staff are friendly, the rooms are clean and comfortable with good air conditioning and wifi. Great price too. Recommended!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Coconuts_UK
Cancun
Reviewed 5 November 2011

A nice hotel in the centre of the city. Just one block from the bus station. There are good resturants, banks, internet stations and just about anything else you might want all within three blocks. The hotel could use a bit of paint and maintenance but it is clean and safe with deadbolt locks on the doors. It is not fancy but for less than $30 it is a bargain. It does not have a swimming pool nor an elevator and is not on the beach, but it does have free internet in the rooms. Breakfast is not included but for only 25 pesos is another bargain. No eggs or meat for breakfast but you can easily fill up on toast, yogurt, fruit, juice, etc. If you want luxury, stay at one of the big hotels on the beach and pay $200 per night or more. If you want a budget hotel, I highly recommend the Hotel Alux.

Room Tip: No elevator so if you have a problem with stairs ask for a room on the ground floor. We stayed on t...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Find_Tom
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We knew what we were getting into - a cheap hotel near the bus station, to crash after a flight and move on the next day. It delivered just that. It was sticky without any fans or aircon in the rooms; for the price that was okay, but on the way out of town we chose to spend more for a hotel with aircon. The beds were pretty big, it felt clean enough and the shower was warm.

Room Tip: Discount rates by booking in advance online
Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gilllles
AXHotel, Gerente at Hotel Alux Cancun, responded to this review, 31 July 2011
Hello,

Many thanks for your review. We appreciate your objectivity. Although we are a little bit confused. All our rooms have air conditioning window units. Please, consider us for your next stay in town.
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 4 July 2011

As I stated in my Mexico city review of the Hotel Riojas...this place is perfect for the non-preferential traveler...someone who just wants a centrally located, clean, safe, comfortable, and inexpensive place to stay - apart from the Hotel Zone - I am a Maya Archaeologist and have stayed here since 1993 and highly recommend it to those with similar attitudes. If you consider your hotel simply a safe and comfortable place to sleep with air conditioning and cable TV...this is it 4 U...why spend hundreds of dollars per night in the Hotel Zone, when you can just show up, sight unseen, and get a great room for tens of dollars on the hundred (compared to the Hotel Zone) and be centrally located in downtown Cancun, which is regularly serviced by a local bus to the beaches in the Hotel Zone every 15 minutes, as well as access to a supermarket, nightclubs, restaurants, etc., ....just pay your airfare and get a room once you arrive...you'll save hundreds of dollars and get just as nice a vacation

However, if you are expecting Miami Beach in Mexico...this place IS NOT 4 U...spend the extra $500 bucks or more 4 the week and stay in the Hotel Zone...this place is for someone who understands commonplace comfort, affordability, locality, and desires more of a local experience.

I absolutely LOVE it and would HIGHLY recommend it to any friend of mine...but the again...I am a archaeologist...lol!

Room Tip: Great Place in Downtown Cancun!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank karllorenzen
AXHotel, Gerente at Hotel Alux Cancun, responded to this review, 31 July 2011
Hello,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel. Although all reviews are welcome and useful, It was encouraging to read yours. As a budget hotel, many times it is difficult to achieve a balance between the service we offer and the rate we charge.
Again, We appreciate your input.