“my 50th birthday”

Ranked #81 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Victoria, Canada
“my 50th birthday”
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I travelled to Cancun with my girlfriend between jan3-10 celebrating my 50th. birthday. We picked Bel Air for its location and quiet atmosphere. Our room was facing the sea every morning waking up to the roar of the waves. Room sevice was great, the staff somehow new what time we were out, and tide it up. The food was superb and as the week went by the service improved greatly. Sometimes in the restaurant the wating for the food was too long. On my birthday, the hotel suprized me with a birthday cake. Thank you for that, it meaned a lot to me. If someone is looking for a nice relaxing holiday, I highly recommend this hotel. Thank you Yoslin for your hospitality.

AD.

Room Tip: Both sides of the hotel offers great view.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tony D
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, 27 January 2013
Dear Guest:

Please let me express my sincere thanks for sharing with us this generous comments about our work and our services, our goal is continuous improvement, and this is possible thanks to comments like yours. There's nothing like knowing that our clients had a great time during your stay with us.Thanks for your recommendations and we will be waiting for your next visit with your family and friends.

Lic. Andrea Bosio.
Gerente General

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 16 January 2013

This review is long overdue! I visited this resort in May 2010 and it was very good! Do not listen to the bad reviews! I was treated like family, basically if something was missing, they would fix up for it right away.

First of all, we flew with Air Transat. The flight was good and the distance from the airport to the hotel is around 20 minutes. It is a small resort, do not come here for spring break or with a bunch or friends. It's a place where you travel with your wifey/hubby.

Check in was a breeze, I booked the Suite. Very nice and clean room. Pedro did a good job by cleaning the room and making those cute animals with our towels! The suite is a must get if you are travelling with your other half. The jacuzzi is AMAZING and the view is breathtaking from the room! The only problem is that there is not really a balcony if you chose the suite..you literally have to JUMP over the jacuzzi!

The infinity pool is amazing, perfect place to relax with your other half! The beach is gorgeous.

I am a very picky eater and I found the food absolutely AMAZING & so are the drinks.

Service is top notch whether you are at the buffet or by the pool area. They will always make sure you have a drink in your hand!

This is not a party hotel...It is more to relax! The distance of this hotel until town is about 15-20mins cab ride!

Special thanks to Mario, Erika, Pedro, Marvin & Omar

Planning on going to cancun next month and will def book this hotel again if they offer a good deal!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Insanexvi3tgrl
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous comments about our work and our services. There is nothing more satisfying as knowing that our customers had a memorable stay with us. Thanks for your recommendations and we will be waiting for your next visit with your family and friends.

Best Regards.

Lic. Andrea Bosio.
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 14 January 2013

We stayed at the Bel Air Cancun for the third time. We were there for two weeks over both the Christmas and New Years holidays. My father also joined us from Toronto for one week and this was his second visit.
As in the past all our expectations were exceeded. Check in and check out with Brianna was a breeze. We had a wonderful Kool Lanis room with a divine jacuzzi tub complete with steps down to the pool area. The view from the tub was incredible! The beach loungers are very comfortable and the infinity pool is beautiful. Omar and Alex at the pool and beach always made sure we had cold drinks and hot food when we ordered it.
Although the hotel is worn due to age and salt water it is extremely clean. Each day our room was made up with towel art and the mini fridge always well stocked.
We had the all inclusive package and ate all three meals each day at the hotels restaurants for 14 days and were very satisfied with both the many menu choices and the quality of the food. Hector and Marvin gave us excellent service in the dining room. Everything we ordered was delicious.
We can't wait to return for the 4th time!!

Room Tip: Kool Lanis rooms with a jacuzzi tub are a must have for couples.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DebandJack
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, 17 January 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your words of kindness. We will be thrilled to have an opportunity receiving you every year, making every effort to turn each day spent with us memorable. Thank you for qualifying our services so highly, it's truly our pleasure to know that your stay with us was excellent. We are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the future.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Went for my 50th, over the Xmas break, what a mistake it was staying in this hotel. Have to say the room was nice, but we took the all inclusive package and was So disappointed . The food was HORRIBLE!!!! And the alcohol was just as bad, best thing I drank was the oj. And don't even get me started on what they call "3 restaurants" that's a joke.
There was no entertainment in this hotel, not even music by pool. I figured since we had paid for all inclusive we should just stay in hotel and enjoy, but I was wrong.
Everything went wrong from the beginning, starting off by using orbitz.com.
There was only one person in Cancun that made a difference and that was a waiter/bartender by the name of Alex.

3 Thank DELATINA38
Dear Guest:

First of all receive my deepest apologies for not covering your expectations. We hope for the future opportunity to present you that our best efforts are made to meet the highest expectations and guest's satisfaction is our first priority.

Lic. Andrea Bosio

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We traveled here for our honeymoon. After the craziness of the wedding we found the Bel Air was a great place to relax. Our room was clean and comfortable and the bed was awesome. The view from our ocean-view room with balcony was great (an upgrade we got because it was our honeymoon). It overlooked the infinity pool which in turn overlooked the ocean. Whether from our room or pool side the view was spectacular.

The hotel itself has a motif which is a mix of sandblasted white stone and white linen, with a few pieces of modern, red furniture as accents. It has an air of quiet sophistication (read: not a place to go to party). We were there on the all inclusive plan. This means we ate almost all of our meals at the in house restaurant. Although it is a single restaurant, they had separate menus for breakfast, lunch and supper with many different choices in each. The service was great. However, if we were to stay there again, we would probably choose the European plan which would encourage us check out more of the restaurants along the resort strip (easily accessible via buses which run with an amazingly high frequency).

All in all, it was a good place to take a load off.

Room Tip: Ocean-view with balcony (if you can get it)
4 Thank JessicaOtt
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Dear Guest :

First I would like to thank you for visiting Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun. Thanks for sharing your opinion with us as well as the encouraging words about our team and our work. It is a pleasure to know that your stay was satisfactory. I would like to thank you for your recommendations and look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again.

General Manager.
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We stayed here for 11 nights over Christmas and New Years. I had 2 separate reservations for 2 different room types, one for the Jacuzzi suites, which were not available for the entire time period, and 1 for a standard room.

Our first 3 nights were miserable, in a room located directly over the kitchen and hallway to the laundry facility out the back of the hotel. It was LOUD all night long and we got very little sleep, even wearing ear plugs. There was dishes clanging, carts rattling, people shouting...If we were the Cancun party type of people, we'd have probably passed out and not heard anything, but we are not the party type and heard way too much.

They finally got us moved after 3 nights and we were happy with the 2 rooms [3 more nights in a Jacuzzi suite and the rest in a standard room]. The rooms were comfortable and clean, had nice TV's and the A/C worked well. Beds and pillows were comfy. It would be nice if they had a TV guide that tells English speaking people which channels are English vs. Spanish so you didn't have to page through all 70+ channels....

We were on the all inclusive meal plan for a couple days but were not impressed with the food or the restaurant. There are too many good places to eat in Cancun so we decided not to be constrained to a restaurant that was quite boring, had a so so menu, and was an echo chamber, with no outside seating, unless you wanted to sit in water. The poolside grille was open during the day but we found the food delivered cold and not so good tasting. The wait staff also was very slow working the pool area - if you wanted a drink, you'd go really thirsty unless you went to the bar. We once went over 2 hours without being waited on, and I was tipping!

So, we went off the all inclusive plan and used TripAdvisor to pick restaurants to eat in and bought our own beverages at the EXTRA convenience store a few blocks away. We ate very well and actually spent less money going this route. See my other reviews on restaurants like Blu and the Surfin Burrito for details...

The Bel Air has no consistency. Some days we got water in the bathroom for brushing our teeth and some days we didn't. Same goes for clean towels, shampoo, etc. They are supposed to have coffee and tea service daily, in the morning and the evening, but didn't have every evening we were there. I was told we could have coffee in the restaurant that night. They seldomly had hot water to make tea and ran out off coffee often.

They had a DJ on New Years Eve and played music until 2:30 am, which is ok as it was NYE. However, you think they might have extended morning coffee past 7 am??? A little common sense here would be nice as everyone was awake until the music stopped...

The Bel Air had 1 person trying to have us meet up with a Sales Rep, but we stayed away - I deal with sales reps at work every day and wanted to get away from this. At least they were not pushy on this and offered a spa credit for our time if we were to take the time.

The beach and pool areas of the Bel Air are very nice. I'd have to say the lounge chairs on the beach are the nicest I've seen in 7 trips to Mexico. They are very comfy and adjust for lying flat or sitting up a bit. They keep up the beach and pool areas well - no issues here. They always had clean towels available also. They also had a life guard on duty, most of the time, during the day, watching out as the surf was quite strong and they had red flag warnings for most of our stay. I even saw the lifeguard launch into action, as a swimmer got into a rip current, but the lifeguard talked him through the steps to get out and the swimmer got out ok without the lifeguard going into the water. It was good to see him on the alert all the time.

Overall, this was an average stay for me as I travel on business a lot, and this place is just average.

Room Tip: Don't book a room above the kitchen!!!!!!
Dear Guest:

Please let me express my sincere thanks for sharing with us these generous comments about our work and our services, our goal is continuous improvement, and this is possible thanks to comments like yours. There's nothing like knowing that our clients had a great time during your stay with us, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you had with your room.We all are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We came with reservation confirmation printed out for two rooms. They claimed to not have any record of our reservation. However, there was another party here at the exact same time with confirmation numbers that the hotel also did not their reservation. Instead of offering any accommodation, they made us call their booking agency in another part of the country. They had no communication with this company and made us wait on hold for 2 hours+. Once the reservation company confirmed the reservation, the hotel management still denied us a room and said it was the reservation company's responsibility and the hotel reservation company said it was the hotel's responsibility. Long story short, they did not give us a room nor did they organize any other accommodation. Avoid hours of hassle in vain; do not book at this miserable excuse for a hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Ryan Z
Dear Guest:

First of all receive my deepest apologies for not covering your expectations and for the problems that you had with reservations, but hopefully in the future give us the opportunity to change the bad image that you have of the hotel. We will be happy to receive it in Bel Air Cancun. If there is anything I can do please do not hesitate to contact me, I am at your service. direccion@thebelair.com.mx