“Worst hotel where I have ever been”

Sotavento Hotel & Yacht Club
Ranked #126 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Smelly, dirty rooms

Noisy hotel, people were shouting in the hallway, banging, kicking and slamming doors in the nightime.

Internet doesn't work well, they don't even have it in every room even it is said in their website
(actually they said to me that there is no mention about it in their website?)

Staff wasn't so friendly

I was book 7 nights and I did leave after third night.

Breakfast was poor.

AC was really really LOUD!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Vemppa

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We were there for 5 nights.

Pros:
None

Cons:
1) The whole room smelled like you are inside a toilet (vomits / pee /poop) LITERALLY. We couldn't sleep at ALL even closing the bathroom door. It was so stinky that we had to move to another room, and the second room also smelled the same.
2) VERY dirty sheets and towels.
3) NO WIFI in rooms. Even in lobby, the signal keeps getting cut off
4) NO hair dryer in room. They are available at the front desk. We got one when we first check-in, it was making loud screaming noise with no air. Went to the front desk. They said they didn't have another one. Had to keep checking everyday until the 5th night, they finally had one. And turned out it was also broken.
5) AC sounded like you are inside a fire truck engine. We tried to turn it on because the room smelled really awful, but the AC was too loud that we couldn't even hear each other talk.
6) Food in their restaurant takes more than 30 minutes. We just wanted some narchos and mexican rice. We were there twice since it was raining and didnt want to go out. Both time it took them 45 min to have the food ready.
7) Phone in room only dials to the front desk. No outside line. I was trying to call my travel agent to see if we can move to another hotel, but no, you can't dial out at all.

Please, don't let the hotel star rating fool you. This is listed as a 3 star hotel. Hotel stars only means the amenities such as WIFI, AC, restaurant, hair dryer, etc.... not about quality. If a hotel has crappy WIFI only in the lobby, Hair dryers that are not working, AC that sounds like fire truck, smells like poop holes, believe it or not, it is still a 3-star hotel. I have worked in a 1.5 star motel in the US and it is still far more comfortable then this one.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank midnight2048
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We have now stayed here twice for one night both times. We have been pleased both times. It lacks bells and whistles so if that is what is what your loking don't stay. But if you are loking for a decent place to and on a budget, this place fits that bill! Clean room, friendly staff, ok breakfast, and an ok pool. Couldn't be happier for the $50ish we spend to stay here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I agree that one of the best things here is the jungle garden. The pool is nice too and their restaurant serves decent food for very good prices! Chicken burrito at 55 pesos and a glass of wine at 35 (not the best wine of course :).

I got a nice spacious room (K2) with a big French window into the garden. However, the room was badly kept … humidity on the walls, the mirror frame was rusty, patio was full of leafs, there was no drinking water bottle and the shampoo was half full (probably left there after the previous guest!). K1 and K2 were alike, however K3 was smaller and much darker with only a small window, so check your room beforehand.

At reception they allowed me a later check out and stored my luggage, but otherwise they did not exaggerated with friendliness or smiles.

Internet is included in he price, but works only at the reception and in the restaurant.

I agree you could here almost everything your neighbors were doing in the next rooms.

Generally, I think the place is nice, but lacks more care.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a big window! There are some rooms that are smaller and very dark.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank iliveinmexico
Reviewed 11 November 2013

If you look for a cheap and safe place to stay, close to the Hotel Zone in Cancun, this is an ok choice. But I couldn't do more than one night.

My room smelled terribly (once I put the a/c on, it got slightly better), it looked depressing and was very noisy. You could hear the a/c run in the next door room, let alone the people running up and down the stairs and slamming doors. The noise seemed to be inside my room....

The personnel was very unfriendly, and seemed to be bothered if I asked for any information (guys, if you don't like your job, go do something else, or you will soon me out of business...)

Breakfast was pitiful! I had to ask for bread, milk and their whatever onion/sausage cooked dish (which was all that the menu consisted of, anyways)...because the pots were empty and they didn't even notice it!

Not a pleasant experience... I still have to decide if the hotel was worth the money...(I booked online for $43 usd). I have definitely been in cheaper places that looked soooo much better. But I guess ... for Cancun pricing ... I could say that the hotel was cheap... in all senses!
Sorry...

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank A S
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Spacious rooms with a nice terrace, a decent swimming pool and if you're looking for a midpriced hotel between the hotelzone and the center of "old Cancun", Sotavento is kind of allright. The Yacht club is no such thing however, it's more like a small harbour where people are working on their boats and often creating a lot of noise and fumes (no fun when you're relaxing at the swimming pool). The breakfast is a bit meagre and you have to be in time to get what's there or order extras. Staff is OK, with the exception of the dutch touragent who does not really know or care a lot. Better (and cheaper) to book your excursions somewhere outside. Also try to avoid the overpriced taxi across the street, they will ask you 3-4 times the going rate to visit anyplace

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank werdlerswereld
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 3 nights and liked it a lot. The pool is ok and clean. The breakfast was included and ok. There is a short walk to a beach. The selection of restaurants in the area is limited. Very good balance between cost and rooms. Friendly staff

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family