“Great time.”

Ranked #70 of 180 Hotels in Cancun
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
“Great time.”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We took the kids to the great Parnassus a while back and had a great time. We've been to some of the huge resorts in Cancun and found this resort perfect that we didn't have to walk 5 miles every time we wanted dinner, drinks or the multi layered pool. The location is great with buses right outside the resort and the pool was great.
The all inclusive was very nice with great restaurants and drinks and there was always entertainment around the pool including volleyball. We would suggest this location to anyone travelling with a family.

Room Tip: Always a ocean view!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Love2travel19892
Parnassus2011, Director de Recepción at Great Parnassus Family Resort, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear guest:

Thanks for sharing with us your experience and we’re glad that you had a great time.
Our guests’ satisfaction is the most important thing for us and we’re happy that our hotel offers just what you look for.

Looking forward to host you very soon again.

Our best wishes for this Christmas and the new year.

Sussan Melikyan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (855)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leon, Mexico
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My wife, my two daughters (5 and 10 years) and I have just got back from our yearly family trip to Cancun. Each year we try a new hotel and each year it has being better than the year before except this time. First of all It is my first time writing a review I have never felt more compelled in doing it as this time. I feel it is an obligation in order to inform possible travelers to this resort no to waste their time and money in this hotel. We stayed for 8 days. From the information that we found online it seemed to be an amazing place to stay. The pictures or the hotel, the rooms and amenities looked awesome. Anyways. As we arrived at the hotel the building it self looked very nice. For me it was an imitation of a cruise, not so much from the outside as from the inside. The lobby was quite nice and the bell boys were very friendly. We arrived before noon the check in was fast and the staff was helpful. Our room was not ready so the bell boys keep tour luggage safe. They told us that as soon as the room was ready it would show on a tv screen they had at the lobby. This is an all inclusive hotel so we got our bracelets on and could start enjoying the food and beverages as well as the installations. They had a hospitality area were we changed clothes. We were a bit hungry since we started our trip at 6 am and now it was 1 pm. So we went to the lunch restaurant that was open. It was called Magnus. I felt at a food court. The chefs at each to the food areas were not very friendly and the sitting area was not to appealing. They had different types of food. Mexican, Asian, Italian, Japanese and Sushi. Some salad bar and a vegetarian area, grilled food and sea food. Poultry and desserts as well as beverages. As I walked and saw the food you could see it was not freshly made. It had being there for a while and not only that it had being put up from days before. Reheated. I felt for sushi but as I saw the tuna I decided not to try it. Sushi needs to be specially fresh since it is raw food. The tuna was not a pink color but more of a reddish to brown color. It looked more like stake. I finally ate a little bit of turkey breast some rice and from the Asian area sweet and sour chicken. I could not eat everything. It did not taste good. This was my first two hours at the hotel and the worst impression of it.
Once we got our room I spoke to the bell boy that brought up our luggage about the food problem that I saw. He told me that there were 10 restaurants at the hotel but I should stick to four. They were not buffet but a la carte. The Mexican ( el maguey) the stake house ( Big Ben ) the Japanese (Samurai) and the French ( le Maison de Michelle) which by the way it was only for adults. No children allowed. He also told me to stay away from the staff that we're trying to give you information on there time share programs.
The rooms were spacious but the furniture not very fancy for a five star hotel. It did not had a mini bar which is always useful to keep water and beverages cool and handy. Even though you can get them at any available bar at the hotel. Our room was at the 9 the floor with a great view to the ocean and the hotel line.
To make the story short non of the recommended restaurants were good. We ended up going out to eat and dine. The drinks and cocktails were very poorly made and it seem to me that some alcohol was altered or very cheep.
I know this as a fact since Mr. Jose Torres who is the manager of the food and beverage department after my complaint in regard to a liqueur I requested and was not what I ordered. He came the next day with the original bottle and told me they had similar but not originals all the time.
He actually went beyond his way to make our stay as pleasant as possible.
He even let us order from the French restaurant ( adults only) and the VIP restaurant ( Sanctorum) menu and everything was sent to our room.
The dessert and coffee are ( crepiere) which I ended up calling the Crap iere had crepes, waffles made in the morning and served in the evening. Reheated so as with the rest of the food nothing was fresh.
The snack restaurant could not even make good or decent French fries. They use old over cooked oil so the fries came out brown and tasting bad.
The entertainment team or staff was very boring and did not entertain but them selfs by trying to hook up with the girls and getting them drunk.
The had huge roof leaks all over the hotel after heavy rain and the floor became very slippery and dangerous to the public.
The kids club and the kid pool area is actually good. This made me relax a bit since my daughters enjoy them self there. The main pools are ok. They are not heated so two of our days were cloudy and windy and the pool water was really cold. We swam those days in the ocean.
Service at the pool was nil. You had to get your beverages yourself.
I spoke with one of the bartender which told me that them working at this hotel was not good for there CV's. Since other hotels in Cancun don't like to receive people that has worked in this resort. Because of the bad reputation of it.
It has being my worst vacation experience ever. It has being the first time that Me and My family were actually glad they were over.
Since I got sick from my stomach the very first day and one of my daughter also got sick of her stomach.
All of this I can say from a very experienced point of view since I stay in hotels most of the time and eat in restaurant all of the time because of my job as an airline pilot.
I will never go back to this hotel and believe me if this had being my first time in an all inclusive resort it would had being my last. Luckily I have experienced great all inclusive resorts to continue to visit them

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Ely C
Dear guest:

We’re sorry to read that we didn’t meet your expectations.

As the bell boy mentioned, we have 10 restaurants that are available in different times to give our guests the opportunity to try always something new, delicious and excellent. You can find high quality ingredients in each ones of our dishes, which are also always prepared at the moment.

Also, every one of our Parnassus family is happy with the opportunity to do what they love. They are part of our family because they know the opportunities they have working with us and they value the experience of working with us that will help them in future opportunities.

The most important thing for us is to make our guests’ vacations the best. We find your review very valuable in order to improve the areas you mentioned above.

Hope you can give us the opportunity to experience the improvements in another time.

We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Sussan Melikyan

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We arrived at the Great Parnusses on the 5th of November as a family of 4. Since we normally holiday in Europe and go half board this was a totally different experience. Overall this was a fantastic hotel with extremely efficient staff most of which were very friendly. If I'm to be picky I would say the evening entertainment was great but not geared towards young children and nearly always starting too late even for older children. The breakfasts and lunches were delicious however hardly ever hot just warm. The evening meals were standard although the steaks in big Ben were fabulous. My husband thoughly enjoyed the samarui restaurant. I think the meals probably cater more for the U.S. guests than the British but I really am being very picky here! Please don't let this put you off. Our experience was wonderful and we would definitely return to this hotel. It is truly beautiful and outstanding. Thankyou to the Great Parnusses staff for giving us memories we will treasure forever.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank beclewis
Dear guest:

We are really glad to read that your vacation with us is a memory you will treasure forever.
As we are a family hotel, we always want all our guests enjoy every attraction and amenity. So, your suggestions about the shows are valuable.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us instead of your normal holiday to Europe. We hope you come back soon again with your family.

We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I recently visited the great parnassus hotel cancun for the second time 2weeks.once again i was not dissapointed at all,The hotel was very clean and well maintained and the reception staff were very friendly and welcoming.my room was located on the 2nd floor with a partial ocean view which was amazing to wake up to every morning.
The entertained at the hotel was fantastic, every show was well rehearsed and enjoyable,it was clear how much effort,passion and time was put into them each night.The entertainment team were always happy and energic and made the poolside activities lots of fun.But one of the entertainers stood out from the rest,Her name was lorena she was a very happy ,smiley girl that took time to get to know her guests individually, she was very helpful and took time out of her day to make sure i happy and enjoying my day. She also provided me with transport information , local malls and places to eat and party. She also escorted us on serveral night to the nightclubs and make sure we had an amazing time .it was clear to me that she enjoyed her job and always gave 110% to her job and was always positive. Without lorenas fun and outgoing personalilty our holiday would not of been as amazing as it was . If anyone is looking for a hotel with a fun friendly fun atmosphere the is 100% the the best choice . I am already looking to return to mexico in 9 weeks to the same hotel where i hope to see lorena and the amazing entertainment and hotel staff.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Nicky H
Parnassus2011, Director de Recepción at Great Parnassus Family Resort, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear guest:

We are really happy to read that you had an amazing time during your last vacation with us, enjoying your room views, shows, pool; and that our staff, specifically Lorena, played a big role to make sure you had fun.

We will be glad to welcome you again in a few weeks.

Thank you for your amazing review.

Michigan
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I travelled here in late September with my husband and 18 month old daughter. We have probably been to over a dozen all inclusive throughout the Caribbean, with our favorite location being Cancun. This was the first time we travelled out of the country with our daughter.
When we arrived we got “upgraded” to a family room, which wasn’t necessary for us but included a small area with bunk beds. We actually used this little area to set up our daughter’s pack and play (provided by the hotel) and it gave a little barrier between us and her when she was sleeping. The room had a nice balcony with an ocean view. I believe all rooms in the hotel are ocean view which is a nice perk. Room was clean, comfortable and good sized. We paid for the Wi-Fi for some of the trip and the reception was very spotty in the room, we could only pick it up good in the bathroom. We knew going into it that the room didn’t have a mini-fridge but until we got there and experienced it I didn’t realize how much I would miss it. Being able to store cold water and milk is a definite advantage I would seek out at other resorts.
The pools and beach area at the hotel were gorgeous. I loved the infinity pool especially the shallow area which was perfect for swimming with our daughter. We spent the majority of our time there. The kid’s area/water park was a little bit of a walk from the main area. We went there once, and while nice for older kids our daughter was a bit young for it. We were too big to go on the slides with her, but she was a little too young/small to go by herself. I think kids a little bit older would love it. The downside to the hotel layout was in the restaurant area most of them were really hot especially the main buffet. We went in September which isn’t even the hottest part of the season and still felt the heat. The open air lobby was so nice to sit in, it made us really wonder who designed the concept and made it so closed in which impacted the comfort level.
Most of the food we had was good. The breakfast option was a buffet with plenty to choose from; almost everything you could think of was available. For lunch the only options were the buffet (the very WARM buffet) or one of two snack areas which one was by the main pool and one was by the kid’s area. The Mexican restaurant was never open during our stay. Those spots had things like burgers, hot dogs, fries, chips, etc. We ate at the buffet everyday which we enjoyed because there was a ton of options especially things that appealed to our daughter. For dinner depending on the night it changed which restaurants were open. We ate at the Asian once, steakhouse once and Italian twice. My only complaint here is that since we were staying at the hotel during low capacity sometimes they only had ONE restaurant open at a time. They never had the main buffet open at all for dinner, which we found strange. The restaurants opened at 6pm and we pretty much ate right when they opened so we never waited, but one night my husband went down to get us dessert from the crêpe ire around 8pm and said there were long lines/waits due to only one place being open. I will say we never checked to see if the adult only restaurant was open so it could have been, but for families most nights there was only one option.
The crêpe ire/dessert place had the best doughnuts, especially if you got them when they were hot. We snacked on those a few nights after our daughter was asleep. The bars served good drinks, I wasn’t drinking alcohol because I was pregnant but I shared plenty of fruity frozen mixed drinks (virgin) with my daughter and my husband drank beer and mixed drinks a bit too.
So overall would we come back to this resort? I think the answer is no. The layout and warmness of the restaurants turned us off from adding this to a “must have” rotation of places we would stay. The other amenities were nice and satisfied us but we feel with all the options in Cancun we can find something that meets all of our needs.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank sweetbean05
Dear guest:

We really appreciate your honest review and we’re glad to read that you enjoyed some of our amenities, food and drinks.

We will gladly welcome you again and help to make the most of your vacation.

Also, thank you for letting us where we can improve so we can increase our guest satisfaction, which is the most important.

Fall Branch, Tennessee
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Are family had the best vacation ever at The Great Parnassus, the service was top shelf, are waitress Veronica Lozano went above and beyond, she should be a role model of what great service should be, and Roger an Jose the bartenders were awesome. My only complaint is the roof leaks after a heavy rain. I would definitely recommend this place, also great family place as well

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank DanPoulterJr
Dear guest:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us and we’re glad to read that our service was a key factor for you to have a great time. Also, we will definitely make the improvements you are suggesting us.

Looking forward to make your vacations the best ever once again soon.

Plympton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

After searching and choosing to ignore the less favourable reviews, we decided to celebrate my 60th in Great Parnassus.
It was absolutely brilliant, the location was ideal with its own beach, not crowded in by other hotels and cheap local buses into Cancun (50p each way).
Most of the restaurants in the hotel were very good and the French restaurant was on a par to anything in the UK, you do have to dress "formally" (trousers and shirt, no shorts, trainers etc.)for this restaurant but certainly worth the effort.
But an overwhelming factor were the staff. They were friendly and helpful and even gave me an impromptu "party" when they realised it was my birthday the day before. With the amount of guests they still made the time to make you feel special.
There were plenty of activities both day and night and excursions were again on the whole excellent.
With a vast choice of restaurants and bars there is something for everyone and we certainly enjoyed our two weeks here.
An excellent experience!

Room Tip: Most rooms have view of Lagoon and Sea
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Dave E
Dear guest:

We are really glad to read that you had a brilliant 60th celebration and vacation with us, and that you really enjoyed it.

We believe service is one of the most important factors for our guest satisfaction and we are happy you felt overwhelmed with it.

And yes, the idea of having 11 restaurants was exactly what you mentioned: make sure there is something for everyone.

Hope you come back to celebrate every year with us. We will be glad to make the most of it.

Sussan Melikyan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
GR Caribe by Solaris
GR Caribe by Solaris
#25 of 180 in Cancun
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,070 reviews

Been to Great Parnassus Family Resort? Share your experiences!