“Ok...”

Great Parnassus Family Resort
Ranked #69 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The hotel is very grand looking and the lobby is impressive. The staff is hit and miss for good customer service. Most of them are nice, but a few are not as nice. They are not rude or anything, just don't smile much. It seems they are overworked though, that might be the issue. I noticed employees that were working late would be working early morning! The front desk people seemed to be the same ones working all time, sheesh! Anyway there are a few employees that really shined and make me want to come back. I can't remember their names since its been a couple weeks since we returned. The best one employee by far is the events coordinator, nice looking gentleman he was always at the pool coordinating events and the shows at night, he was GREAT!. Paulina (I think), she did the water aerobics in the pool the morning/afternoon of 6/24, she was also GREAT! The staff at the restaurants were nice, but much nicer if tipped even just a bit. Their is no A/C in Magnus which can make it unbearable at times to eat, its too hot! The waiter, Jose, I believe at Big Ben was terrible to my kids that went to eat there one night, they are older (18, 15 and 11) and are very polite, but I think he thought they wouldn't tip him, so he was one sore spot during the trip. Went to go ask for the manager later after I found out how they were treated, and one of the bus persons was adamant that HE was the manager, which I don't believe. Be careful with getting deceived, that can happen a lot especially if you don't know the language. Not necessarily at the hotel (except for the incident I just mentioned), but in general if you are in the city, there a people that will take advantage of tourists that don't speak Spanish, thankfully that is not my case, but beware if you don't. The common areas in the hotel are pretty clean, but the room cleanliness is lacking. We got upgraded to a suite since they were overbooked, but the shower has mold and it's pretty gross. The view from the balcony is over the top though! If you are not super picky, this hotel will work for you and you can't beat the price (very family oriented). Oh, another thing the Karaoke guy is pretty cool, sucked that their equipment was not working all the way. Another good tip, check out the gift shop, they were CHEAPER than some of the market places in town. The creperie was a bit of a disappointment, they didn't seem to have much variety oh and the Manhattan restaurant is not that great, Maguey is very good though. Marco at the pool bar does an AMAZING job!

Room Tip: We had 3 rooms amongst all traveling, all had SPECTACULAR views!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank nevadagirl79

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We returned from Mexico last week and struggle to understand all of the negativity about this hotel. Upon arrival the bell boys took our baggage so that we could check in. Check in was quick and efficient, we then had our bags taken up to our room both members of staff were friendly and helpful. The only issue we really had was the sound of the lifts outside of our room but after speaking to the thomas cook rep and the hotel manager they were more than happy to move us to a better room the following day. The buffet food was ok, not the best but there was a lot of variety. The range of restaurants is good our favourites were Michelles, Big Ben and Samurai. The pool area was good, always entertainment provided by Jefferey and the team. You can change your towels by the pool for fresh ones everyday. One thing that you cannot fault the hotel on is the staff, each one of them works so hard to ensure you have a good experience and would often ask you how your day was or if you had any exciting plans, I found this completely refreshing and cannot thank the staff enough for a lovely holiday! They are a credit to the hotel.

We often used the facilities of the Golden Parnassus as there was a free bus to and from there all day. The buffet food at this hotel was lovely, likewise with their restaurants.

All in all we were pleased with our stay, I believe a holiday is what you make it and if you have any issues ask to see the hotel manager who is more than happy to listen to your queries and help out as much as possible.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NatashJT
Reviewed 15 July 2014

So I will preface this review with the fact that I have traveled to Mexico several different times and this is by far my families worst experience. First off we had to change rooms 2 times because the lack of air conditioning, we ended up paying to upgrade to an ocean front suite but this rooms air conditioning was no better then the others but the children loved the hot tub so we decided to stick it out. The temperature never got below 76 in our room and during the day it got even hotter close to 80 most days.

Check in was not as expected got there at 12:30 had to wait until almost four to get into our room not fun when traveling with two children.

The lobby was HOT and MUGGY at all times and this goes for all the restaurants, we got ready the second night and went to Big Ben and we sweated to death the entire meal! If you do not mind being hot when you eat then this is not a problem, I on the other hand hate being hot when eating and therefore had a miserable experience. Waiting for elevators was horrendous especially since one of them was broke down half our stay! So waiting 20 minutes in a HOT hallway with no air movement was not enjoyable the least little bit.

The food was edible and that's all I can say about that, I was not impressed with any of the food, I stuck with sandwiches most days and still ended up getting sick two nights before we left.

Most of the staff was nice but this was the first all inclusive I have stayed at in which the staff expected a tip... They would wait around after delivering drinks in order for you to tip them. Don't get me wrong I tip but I would have tipped a lot more if they weren't expecting it.

I would never recommend anyone to this property the experience was less then enjoyable and we will never be back. The only saving grace was the beautiful beach and this is something they have no control over or else it would probably been messed up too. If you have any questions email me at ramills21@gmail.com I will answer any questions about this property we stayed a week so we saw everything.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank ramills21
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have just returned from this resort. Check-in seamed to take a long time then when we got to our room it was a double and not a twin as booked. We were told that the hotel was full and no other rooms were available by Eber, the Duty Manager. We were reluctantly eventually told that if we waited another 30 mins there would be a club room available. This room had 2 double beds and a jacuzzi in room. The room was very spacious as was the bathroom/dressing area. The hotels room are in need of a bit of a revamp but the cleanliness was exceptional. We were on the 12th floor the views were really good. The staff that we encountered were all really nice and couldn't do enough for us. The best restaurant was Le Maison de Michelle, where the food and service was exceptional. There were 11 of us in our party and the only things that disappointed us were the Mexican restaurant and the lack of air conditioning. A great time was had by all.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank barcello1955
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We just returned to the US from Great Parnassus! We absolutely LOVED everything about this resort. From the check in to the checkout staff were courteous, professional and friendly. This hotel is well decorated and cleaning crew does and amazing job. The food was delicious and you do not need to make reservations to eat at the specialty restaurants which we found very convinent. The room we stayed had a superb view, the room was very clean, modern, big, comfortable, well cool off, it had plenty pillows, towels etc. The room was clean daily and restocked with clean towels. The adult only area has a breath taking view. The pool and jacuzzis are huge. All of the bar tenders, waitress etc are great. My kids had an amazing time at the kids club. The pools are excellent! The beach is beautiful. It has plenty of chairs and kiosks. We got drinks brought to us at the beach by a very friendly employee. Entertainment was great as well. This is a very family friendly hotel. I definitely recommend this hotel. And it's very reasonable$!!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank MOMMYPa
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed last week at the Great Parnassus Resort. The hotel is older (needs basic repairs) but clean. We had an issue in our room and they moved us as quickly as possible. The food was good - lots of different restaurants. The entertainment staff was Awesome! Lots of fun poolside - they knew my kids and would talk to them whenever they saw them. Kid and adult activities in the the 3 infinity pools. Wonderful place for families - kids met lots of friends! The restaurants are open air so there is not a huge break in the heat. It is Mexico. the kids (10 and 12) enjoyed the big slides. The night time shows were fun! We enjoyed our stay and have memories to last a lifetime - thank you to Lorena, Jeffrey, Raphael, Joel and Stacy for helping make great memories. Victoria at the front desk was always helpful as were Eber and Estephan.

Room Tip: Rooms on North tower (odd rooms) have better views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Me and my boyfriend (both mid 20's) returned back from our 2 week holiday in this hotel and we can honestly say that we cannot fault it! We read reviews prior to our departure and was a bit iffy about what it would be like but if you are not a nit picker at absolutely everything it is a brilliant hotel to stay in.

Our room was cleaned everyday with fresh towels, clean linen and toiletries. The overall cleanliness of the hotel was excellent staff were always cleaning every time we seen them. The staff at this hotel are absolutely brilliant! Cannot fault them in any way, they were always happy to help and even if they couldn't speak very good english they tried.

Food in the hotel was really good, i recently read bad reviews but did not agree at all with them as you have different restaurants to choose from (big bens is the best - fillet steak) couldn't believe that this was all included in the price!! Main restaurant there was lots to choose from so unless you are a very picky person its brilliant, at the end of the day you're in a different country and should be trying different foods, most made fresh to order.

We went on several trips on our stay, we shopped around for best prices and found a little desk in the mall next to Coco Bongos called Cancun Just Tours with Leo the male owner, they were so helpful and basically gave us at trip prices as reps/hotels take lots of commission so i would highly recommend that you visit these guys. Aqua world (based in the hotel by pool) weren't really that great and high prices, the other guys are very customer focused. Visit Xplore, best thing we've ever done!!

The beach and pool were very good also - there were lots of kids in the pool area but you do have an adult only pool in the resort and so cannot really moan.

Overall amazing holiday and as I say unless you want to go round nit picking about everything well worth it, at the end of the day you are on holiday to chill out and enjoy yourselves not assess all the bad points in the hotel, the staff work so hard here and always try to help you whatever may be wrong.

Deffinatly be back to this hotel, loved it!

• Stayed: June 2014