“Better service”

Ranked #38 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
New York
“Better service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Booked this hotel because of the guest reviews online and the photos we'd seen on the website. We originally booked a smoking room; however, upon check in, the fd agent said they did not have one because they were sold out. The girl at the fd was not accomodating and didn't want to help us. After checking into a non smoking room, we found that the sink was clogged and the water wouldn't drain. The fridge was not working and the amenities in it was hot. We stopped by the fd again after we dropped off our bags and we spoke to another agent to see if he could help us. He informed us he was able to move us in 2 days. Since we were there for 4, we didn't mind. We told him about the problem with the fridge and he said he would send some up to fix it. No one came. Later on that evening, we called the operator to find out whether there was an ice machine on the floor. The operator didn't seem to know and transferred me to the fd. When we asked the fd agent where the ice machine was located at, she said I should call the operator. I told her that was who we called but got transferred to the fd. She said there should be an ice machine but didn't know where. She said she would send someone up with ice. Once again, no one came.

We went to the water grill restaurant for lunch after arriving. Shortly after our meal came, one of the sprinkler on the overhead busted and rained water right by us. I felt sorry for the security staff who was sitting right under the sprinkler waiting for his food. He got all wet along with his 2 way radio.

That evening we went to one of the restaurant for buffet dinner. There wasn't much of a variety for food. We were seated right under the AC, so the water condensation from it was dripping on me throughout the entire meal. It was very annoying and I was trying to move away; however, the row of booth seating was all under the ac vent.

The night before we were supposed to move to the smoking room, we received a call from the fd reminding us to be in the lobby by 2pm to change our room. The following day arrived and we decided to stop by the fd after lunch to confirm our room move. The agents at the desk said they were not able to move us by 2pm. We explain that we needed to move by 2pm because we booked an excursion event by 2:30 that same day. After making several calls to hsk, she confirmed the room move. 5 minutes to 2pm, I called the fd to see if the room was ready. The agent said she had to call hsk to check and would call me back. About 10 mins later, I called again because no one called us and we were limited with time before we had to leave for the excursion. The agent told us she will call hsk again. We decided to go to the fd to see what was going on. We spoke to the agent and she said we were not going to be able to move before 3pm. She said hsk was cleaning the room. It was ridiculous because they gave us the run around. I personally work for a hotel and in hsk dept and it does not take that long to clean a room. Check out time is at 12pm and it does not take over 2 hours to clean a room. We insisted to move our things before it was time to meet the gentleman for the excursion in the lobby but she kept saying that the room is not available. I asked if we could move when we return, she told us they needed us to move our things out of the room because they had given our room away. I was outraged. Eventually she was able to check us to the room by 2:30pm but we were late for our excursion. The person taking us was upset and said we were late. We explained the reason why we were late but he didn't want to hear it.

We must have booked the wrong week to stay because there was a whole bunch of drunken guests hovering the bar in the pool. We couldn't even get to the bar and when we finally did, the bartender didn't seem to wanted to serve us.

The only one I would like to give recognition to is the server by the pool name Marco aka homero. He was very attentive.

Majority of the restaurant was outdoors. With the humidity, we were drentched in our sweat while trying to eat. Very uncomfortable. Wish they had more restaurant indoors or at least have some overhead fans. The last day of our trip, I was experiencing excruciating stomach pains. It must have been something I ate at the beach house restaurant. I had a stomach virus for over a week. Went to see my doctor when I came back to the US and she said it was something I ate. The only place I ate from was from the hotel. The pain was unbearable. I am still taking medication from all this. It's been an unforgettable trip.

Would I stay at this hotel again you ask? No I wouldn't. I wouldn't even recommend it. Went to Cancun 2 years ago and had a great time at Iberostar. This was such a disappointment.

• Stayed July 2014
7 Thank leschu1a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,198)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

The staff were rude & unhelpful.
A lot of things were 'extra charge'.
Don't stay here. Excellence Playa Mujeres is MUCH better!
They require you to book the restaurants & when we were there they were always booked out so we could only go to the buffet which was average.
The only good thing is the buffet breakfast & the location.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

5 Thank Kate M
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

A big group of us were here for a friend's wedding. In order to accommodate each person's varying check-in/check-out schedules, roommate transfers were necessary. This hotel does not know how to handle this type of situation. Even after explaining it many times over, they did not understand and made the check-in process very cumbersome.
The wedding itself was beautiful. You can tell they are quite experienced in setting up these type of events. The food for the wedding, however, was not impressive. That's also my thought on food overall at the resort, minus the fish tacos at Beach House.
The resort lacks activities. They have 3 pools, 1 big one that is family-friendly and 2 others for adults, their beach club which isn't actually a club it's an outside bar/deck, the Rose Bar, which is their inside bar with music at night. Other than that, there were no additional activities for guests. At resorts I've been to, they usually have different activities throughout the day or shows at night. This resort definitely lacks that so I found that a 6 day stay was pushing it too long as I was becoming bored with having to choose between the deck or rose bar every night.
The cleaning crew is friendly and helpful. They do a good job with daily refreshing of the rooms.
What I couldn't overlook is what happened when I checked out. My suitemate opened an item that was not included in the all-inclusive. Because of our different flight schedules, my two suitemates checked out an hour before I did. When I went to check out, the minibar charge was brought to my attention. Fine, I knew about it. I asked the rep if my friends had paid for it when they checked out. He said no, so I pay the charge. After returning back to the states, my friend told me that they had already charged her for the item when she checked out. They deceptively double charged us. I don't believe this was by mistake; a hotel of this caliber (4 stars) should be able to register in their system when a charge is paid. Be aware folks.
All in all, I had a nice time because I was with great company, but I would not stay at this resort again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Nhi H
Cancun
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Me Cancun was all that I hoped for. The ambiance was incredible coupled with the service provided. All of the staff was so grateful for your patronage and showed it consistently. The food was amazing!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Trevis P
Caguas, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I just returned from a great week of vacation in Cancun. I stayed with my family of 7 at the Me by Melia hotel at Cancun. The service was great, the food was amazing the location can't be better! The pools, the bars, the restaurants (one Mexican, one Argentinian, one Mediterranean and a buffet) were great too. The beach waters were so clear and the sand so white (one of the best beach I ever seen), that even when the beach has many waves, you can't rate it as not been amazing! The humidity of Cancun at this season of the year is very high, feels like a 100F almost each of days, so you must stay very hydrated and use sun block.

Last but not least, I would like to thanks Roger from the lobby bar for all services he provided to us. He was great and very kind with us all time and prepares great drinks! Thanks Roger, as we told you, were are going to return!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
paolamelchor, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at ME Cancun, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Gricelis A
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with tons of travelers. We are so happy you spent such an amazing time and we will definetely place a note on Roger´s file with your kind remarks towards his service. We lok forward to hosting you back
Jamaica, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Overall, LOVED the property! Prime beach location....intimate , very romantic atmosphere. Rooms are much larger than they appear online! Be sure to use the safe for valuables.... not because we had a bad experience but because your room key WILL be disabled if you leave anything of value out prior to cleaning service.

FOOD was YUMMY! Even with the basic all-inclusive service...you can request some brand liquors without incurring an extra charge..so ask for what you want!

I will DEF be returning to this location and will check out their other spots!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Breenz112
We greatly apreciate the time you took to share your review. We love Reading about amazing experiences like yours and we very much look forward to hosting you again.
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

We highly enjoyed our stay at ME Cancun this June. The staff went above and beyond especially Hugo and Paulina who served us the infinity pool! They worked so hard in the heat and never stopped smiling! Everyone was so friendly and ready to help. We went with 3 couples and 2 single friends and everyone enjoyed it! The atmosphere is very relaxing during the day but at night the party starts! The food was top notch (it was hard to pick a favorite restaurant because one was better than the next!). The view and the rooms were fabulous. We didn't get the upgraded package and thought everything was great without. If you are looking for a all-inclusive geared more towards 20-30s this is a great option! Would defiantly stay again and recommend to my friends!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Suzanne S
We are so thrilled to read about your amazing experience! we simply love when guests enjoy their experiences to the máximum. We just cant wait to host you back in the near future.