Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Mia Cancun(Cancun)
Beach Palace(Cancun)
View Hotel
Le Blanc Spa Resort(Cancun)
6,419 results
All reviewsmaria mariechef's platespice restaurantswim up suitehour loungehector zepedaasiana restaurantromance conciergefoam partylobby barbeach cabanahammock on the balconyour honeymoonocean frontcorner suiteturn down servicepresidential suite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We just got back from our stay in the newly titled Hyatt Zilara (formerly The Royal). The resort itself was absolutely stunning. When we arrived to the resort, we were greeted with smiling faces, and champagne. We made our way to check-in, and paid an additional $240 USD to upgrade our room (not sure what we upgraded from, but our room was fantastic.) The entire resort was beautiful. The pool area is incredible. The shows were ok. I have seen better, and I have seen worse. The food was ok at best. Breakfast was generally the best meal of the day. Lunch was always pretty decent. Dinner left a lot to be desired. The liquor selection was not very good. Very few premium brands. Not a single decent bourbon on the entire resort.

Here are some random thoughts:

1. We did the romantic dinner on the beach. We paid $180 USD extra for this. It was a four course meal served to us at 8pm on the beach. The salad was exceptional. The soup was absolutely terrible. The filets they served us were also pretty bad. Incredibly rough and chewy - in no way worth $180. The steaks were cooked to the perfect temperature, and were even seasoned perfectly. If the actual cut of meat had been better, this meal would have been phenomenal. But in all honesty, I have had a better steak from Applebee's, and paid much less for it.

2. Upgrade the food. I have been to several all-inclusive resorts in Mexico. This was the only time that I never loved a single meal that I ate. There were a lot of "good meals". There were zero "fantastic meals".

3. Upgrade the bar selection. I almost exclusively drink bourbon. And while I generally like a super premium bourbon, I can always fall back on something like a Maker's Mark, or something that isn't incredibly hard to find. The best bourbon they had on the resort was Jim Beam, which is pretty terrible.

4. The staff was incredible. Sergio, and Luis at Pelicano's were the standouts. Ross at Asiana was also very attentive. Sergio was by far our favorite. The check-in staff was very nice and helpful. Every single staff member that we passed, even when just walking through the lobby or to our room always smiled and said hello.

5. Make your reservations early!! We made our dinner reservations for every night when we first arrived, but still did not get a chance to eat at Chef's Plate. We actually had to wait til our third night there to finally eat at one of the better restaurants.

6. The pool area allows guests to simply throw a towel down and "reserve" a chair or bed. The problem with this is that most guests simply left their towels there when they were finished for the day. So it became increasingly difficult to find a spot to sit/lay as the day progressed, even though there were very few people actually taking up those spots - and you have no idea if those people were finished for the day, or were simply in the pool. Suggestion: towels that were left unattended for over an hour should be removed, freeing up space for others.

While this was our first time at this resort, we spoke to many people who were club members. They virtually all said the same thing: The Royal was better than the new Zilara. The food used to be better. The drink selection used to be better. But everything else remained the same. The problem is that your food and drink is a very integral part of your stay at a resort like this.

In summary, this place is absolutely stunning. The staff is exceptional. A few minor adjustments could be made to make this a 5 star resort. But for now, I am giving it a 3.5.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Jay C
MRobertsZilara, General Manager at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Dear Jay C,

First of all thank you very much for your detailed review of your recent trip to Hyatt Zilara Cancun.
We truly appreciate your comments as they help us know which areas need to be perfected in order to provide our appreciated guests with the excellent services they deserve.
Please allow me to assure you that all the areas of opportunities you have mentioned have already been addressed with the corresponding departments for their follow up.
Very recently many upgrades to the offerings have been put in place and more are to come in the near future to ensure our guests’ satisfaction.
Also we are glad that our associates gave your great services and will make sure to share your kind words with Sergio, Luis and Ross.
We are looking forward to welcoming you on your next visit and making sure you have an outstanding experience.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at this resort last April 2013 for our 24 anniversary. I will begin this review by saying that I am comparing it to my stay at the Royal in Playa Del Carmen two years prior. That hotel was beyond my expectations and I raved about it to anyone who would listen. The Hyatt Zilara ( formerally the Royal) paled in comparison in all areas!!
The good: the room was stunning with a breathtaking oceanfront view. We stayed in a corner suit on the top floor. The bed however had a loose board or something and would creak with every move. The offer a pillow menu so we made our choices but never received what we asked for. This may sound rather picky ( I really didn't care about a pillow menu or aroma selection for the room) however, they should not offer it if they don't deliver!

The reserved bed that was allocated to our room was against a wall and seemingly too far for the beach waiters to get too. We ended up having to play the towel game to get a more desirable spot. Not enough to ruin our vacation but a pain because one of the reasons I booked a corner suite was because of the allocated beach bed so I wouldn't have to play the game. Sigh..

The spa: I booked the spa on the first day and requested the same treatment I had received at the other royal. ( a sugar scrub followed by massage. Well I ended up being scrubbed with some kind of black algae which was extremely difficult to wash off , while the the masseuse stood by and watched me while I was standing in a shower with no door!! Awkward to say the least!! The massage that followed was fine but the worst was yet to come. A few hours after my treatment I broke out in a rash from head to toe ( and between my toes!) this rash lasted the entire week and completely ruined my vacation. That and the explosive diarrhea I had for 3 out of the seven days!

The food was ok but nothing to rave about as it was at the royal playa del Carmen! The spring rolls in Asiana were soggy and the entree I had was soaked in soya sauce and inedible. We had one lovely meal at Maria Maria's I order the steak and it was tender and they made a special desert plate up for our anniversary. Very nice. We went back on our last night there and ordered the same and I could not even cut through the steak this time. Where is the consistency?

With the exception of a few, i did not find the staff here to be as friendly as at the royal playa del Carmen. The hand to the heart seemed anything but sincere!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank coocoo59
MRobertsZilara, General Manager at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear coocoo59,

On behalf of the Hyatt Zilara Cancun staff and myself we sincerely appreciate the time you took to share with us your review. We take our guests´comments very seriously as it enables us to target our difficult areas and help improve our services.

We apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your visit, We are bewildered to read about your experience at the spa, as all of the products we use are hypoallergenic and carefully applied. Nevertheless, please rest assure that the issues you have raised have been reviewed by our Management team.

We are very happy to see that you had a lovely anniversary dinner at Maria Marie.

Once again, thank you for your appreciated feedback and we hope you give us a second chance to serve you in the near future.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I should start with the positives because although I have a list of frustrations, many of which were avoidable, the positives do outweigh the negs and my hotel was still brilliant.
The positives are the staff, Edgar in Pelicanos being the stand out. What a welcoming guy who cannot do enough to ensure the comfort of his customers. Also in pelicanos, where we ate every breakfast and lunchtime and I really looked forward to it, were Jose and Alberto. In tapas we had great service from Miguel. Diaz, Frankie and Marc around the pool and on the beach and Baak and Evan in the main bat. These guys, and their hospitality, made the holiday, without them then this hotel is finished and I hope Hyatt recognise that.
Negatives - it took ages to check in, and we were first in the line! We were offered an alternate junior suite which wasn't in the hotel but out overlooking the beach, we jumped at the chance. However, Being outside it came with its problems and the room clearly wasn't thoroughly checked before allowing us to move in. We had heavy rain every day and that meant water leaking in through the bottom of the doors so we had to wedge towels there, there was also a water leak at the bottom of the window frame where the jacuzzi is. The lock on the balcony door wasn't working so we had to get maintenance in to sort that out. When the maid turned the bed down one evening she left the jacuzzi light on, we couldn't switch it off so spent the whole night with a light on in the room, so annoying. We had ants coming in to the room. The shower was never hotter than Luke warm. Towards the end of the weeks stay the toilet area started to smell of urine and there was a slow leak from the base of the toilet. On our last day we noticed a huge crack across the patio door. We were offered a different room twice but we loved the location so much we declined, not to mention the inconvenience of packing up and unpacking again. The main issue was cockroaches. I saw 3 pest control outside one day and they were treating an area outside our room, apparently they're hard to control in Mexico, but unfortunately I saw it. I kept finding dead ones after but the birds ate them so didn't feel overly concerned, but still, cockroaches, bleurgh! I suppose these situations aren't helped when you take your complaint to reception and get the impression that they don't care and have heard it all a million times. I actually felt like they were sniggering at me, so rude. I also went to the ATM in the hotel and found it empty, I had to go round to a neighbouring hotel, in the heavy rain and dark, to get cash out. I shouldn't be telling the hotel when to top up their ATM, they should be checking it!
We went here on recommendation and booked it when it was the Royal Cancun. We had a letter from our travel company in October saying it had changed hands. It's now a 4 star and should be classed as such.
1 other price of advice I'd offer you is DO NOT FLY THOMAS COOK - it's the epitome of cattle class, like flying in short haul conditions for 10.5 hours, a nightmare journey, avoid at all costs.
As I said, we still had a great holiday but that's thanks to the restaurant and bar staff.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Duckett10

Dear Duckett10,

Thank you very much for sharing your detailed comments about your vacation at Hyatt Zilara Cancun.

We are very sorry to hear about the areas of opportunities you experienced during your stay.
Please be assured we have already addressed each one of them with the corresponding department for immediate actions to be taken.
We are glad to read that you still had an excellent time, thanks to our associates at the bars and restaurants and will make sure to share your review with them.
We truly hope you will allow us the honor of hosting you again in the future and provide you with the 5-star experience you deserve.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We are Real club members who have been coming to (The Royal) Hyatt Zilara for 5 years.
We are currently at the hyatt,having arrived on Dec22, and leaving in 3 days. One week before we left home, we found out on the internet that the hotel had changed names/ owners. This deeply concerned us, because we have spent alot of money on the Royal crown membership, both my husband and I are blue collar workers, we are not millionairs.. This is our only holiday of the year...
We are taking time during our holiday to write this (our first review, ever) to let others know how things are, right now. We are relieved that even though some things had changed, overall our stay has been great!
We are very relieved to see many of the same great staff, as we have come to see many of them as good friends who treat us like family. After we return home, we will continue to monitor other customers comments on trip advisor to make sure original "Royal"staff are kept by Hyatt.
Hyatt has responded to the customers concerns about restaurant menus, and have already changed the menus to include many more options.
Maria marie is back to original mexican, french cuisine.
Pelicanos has :
pretty much every kind of seafood option for dinner you can think of, and 3 steak options, also a seperate chicken, pork, and duck dish. So that's a total of about 11 different dinner options, as well as seperate pasta options.
Spice restaurant-food is pretty much same now, as compared to last year.
Goofy Hershey kisses are still left at night time turn down, but I'm sure Hyatt will change this in due course...
Our 4th floor ocean front view is Fantastic! Room cleaning staff does outstanding job (this is a huge compliment because I am VERY particular about cleanliness because I work in a Canadian dental office).My husband still rolls his eyes because I brought disinfectant wipes and wiped down our airplane flip down tray...
Drinks are definately NOT watered down,and if you tip your server, they just keep coming and coming and coming...
New years eve celebration was amazing, food was outstanding. We heard from a couple of the staff that most staff worked on Dec31 from 7 am to 1am. Every staff we talked to today, their only thought was did my husband and I enjoy the food, entertainment, and get good service at the New Year's party. I asked the staff aren't they tired, and every single person said it's worth it if we had a good time..Like I said, outstanding service......
Cancun has had a fair bit of rain lately, the Riviera Cancun golf course has 9 of the 18 holes open right now. Like I told my husband, playing only 9 of the 18 holes of golf sure beats shoveling the snow back in Canada...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
15  Thank kcburn
MRobertsZilara, General Manager at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear kcburn,

We very much appreciate you to share this excellent review about your Hyatt Zilara Cancun experience, especially you taking time out of your vacation to do so.
We are honored to host loyal guests such as you are at our resort and being able to pamper you during your stay.
We are pleased to know that our recent changes made, thanks to the comments received by our valuable guests, were to your liking.
Please be assured we will keep listening to our guests in order to assure to meet everyone’s wants and needs.
Thank you once for allowing us the privilege of hosting you and we are already looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I admit, i read these trip advisor reviews religiously anytime i am deciding where to stay. I was a little nervous after the change of management, i stayed here last year and had an amazing time and was returning with my mom and sister for a fun trip this year. i figured management can't change the spacious rooms with great views, the wonderful pool and beach area, and to me, alcohol is alcohol, my only nervous factor based on the reviews was the food, but i can survive on guacamole!

after returning from a 5 night stay, i am little confused by all the negative reviews, we had a wonderful time!!

the staff, as always is very welcoming, pleasant and very friendly. moises went above and beyond on fondue night, running back and forth between the kitchen. we were lucky enough to get him as our server the next day by the pool and we were never thirsty… he's awesome!

rooms were cleaned and spotless everyday.

my sister used the spa and said she was ready to go back the next day.

the food, to me, was the same as it was last year, it's not michelin rated, but i wasn't expecting that. we had a great meal at asianas twice, once at the teppanyaki station and one just regular. both were delicious both times. we utilized the 24 hour room for our guacamole fix in the afternoon, very handy. ice cream every evening from the coffee shop, the coconut was our favorite. pelicanos is very handy for a quick lunch, my only suggestion would be to add more mexican - tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas would be a great addition to the menu. we only ate there for lunch, so can't comment on the dinner. we ate breakfast and a few lunches at spice. overall, they should figure out a better way to heat the food and keep it warm. when we went at peak lunch times the food was hot, but in the morning some of the buffet items were warm at best. we took advantage of the omelette station, which was great, but the other items need to be better warmed, maybe heat lamps, or something. oh, and the orange juice was great, even got seeds a few times, so it definitely isn't tang!! tapas place was good, no complaints on the food there. and maria marie, even though they said the food is now italian, didn't seem that way to me! i had salmon in a veracruz sauce and my sister had shrimp with a guacamole rice - not italian either one...

overall, i had another great time at this resort. all of my experiences were the same as my visit a year prior, i have nothing to complain about...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
10  Thank stephanie l

Dear stephanie... ,
First of all thank you very much for writing this detailed and positive review about your stay at Hyatt Zilara Cancun.
We are thrilled to read you had a wonderful time thanks to our wonderful associates and excellent services.
Please be assured we will share your encouraging words with Moises and let him know he was able to make a difference during your visit with is dedication and excellence in service.
We are also gladly communicating your suggestions to be reviewed by the correct departments.
Once again thank you very much for posting this review and are looking forward to pampering you on your next vacation.