“Very good”

Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Ranked #7 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 6 January 2014

My wife and I have been here for 12 days of a 14 day holiday and every day the quality and presentation if the food has improved, particularly in Spice. There's a great new menu in Marie Marie where the choice and food are excellent. Good choice for lunch and dinner in Pelicanos and also the tapas. Downstairs at Asiana is good, but other than the sushi, upstairs is not great. Plenty of top shelf liquor and 3 beers to chose from. Service, rooms, pools, beach and overall resort is excellent. Wifi downstairs is good, in rooms a bit slow. Gym and spa are very good for a resort this size. Avoid rooms 216-230 and 316-330 if you're a light sleeper as the doors back onto the lobby, but all is quiet by 11.15pm. The staff make this place and are all fantastic, special thanks to Jesus and Victor in Spice, Felipe from housekeeping and Mauro the tennis pro. Gracias, Mark and Jemma

Room Tip: Floor 4 and above are quieter, all rooms have great ocean views
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mark F
MRobertsZilara, General Manager at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Mark F ,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for your appreciated comments. Your feedback is very important to us as it allows us to constantly improve our services.

Please be assured that the concerns you mentioned about the Internet service has already been addressed to the corresponding department. Also, in Asiana we have made a few new enhancements to the menus to provide an even more upscale dining experience for all our appreciated guests.

We will make sure to pass on your kind words to our associates who assisted in making your holiday special.

We are glad to know that your overall stay was very good, but hope you give us a second opportunity to experience the constant improvements here at Hyatt Zilara Cancun!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

My wife and I have been traveling to Mexico for the last 20 years (resorts in Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco to name a few) and after our first stay at "The Royal" in Playa (Presidential Suite), we fell in love w/the resort chain and the level of service delivered by the staff. We have stayed at "The Royal" in Cancun six times (Royal Master Swim Up Suite) and we have planned our seventh trip to the now named "Hyatt Zilara Cancun" because of our confidence in the fact that the merger/rebranding will not affect the service philosophy, food quality, etc. Although Senior Fernando Garcia Zalvidea, the "creator" and owner of the Royal properties/Real Resorts was still going to be a partner of the Hyatt Zilara, he sadly passed away during the first week of November, 2013. He will be greatly missed! The rating of “6” to “68” of Cancun resorts simply changed because the new branding of Hyatt cannot just assume the old Trip Advisor rating w/out proving itself first, which I'm sure they'll do. 99% of the original staff is still there, so have faith folks! Sorry for the length, but I'm a loyal patron and optimist! Happy Travels and Hyatt Zilara, we'll see you very soon!

Room Tip: Swim-up suites on the right side of the property are smoking suites. If you dislike smoking, have re...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
12  Thank RIHVACMAN

Dear RIHVACMAN,

Thank you very much for your warm hearted review. We appreciate your kind words towards our staff and Mr. Fernando Garcia Zalvidea.

We look forward to welcoming you for the 7th time to your "Home Away from Home" here at Hyatt Zilara Cancun!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

First of all I would like to say, no insist, that you do not blame the fantastic staff that make this hotel so special, for Hyatts big mistakes. Hyatt have bought a great Hotel The Royal with a great reputation so why, in their infinite judgement, have they decided to cut corners? Hyatt do not try to fix something that does not need fixing. BIG MISTAKE. The hotel was taken over on 15th November, my husbands birthday.
My husband and I stayed at the Hyatt Zilara end of November to middle of December.
We booked our holiday while it was still The Royal and obviously we were expecting it to be better than what we experienced especially going off the reviews we read. Do not get us wrong you cannot fault the staff, the rooms, the luxury of this hotel, we even found the food to be very good (missing the French/Mexican restaurant as in the brochure) what made it worse for us was that the repeat customers were saying that all the restaurants had really gone downhill. This made us feel hard done by and cheated as we paid a lot of money for this holiday.
With the many complaints, by the time we were leaving, the hotel was beginning to improve, granted too late for us. So do not be put off by going to this hotel I am sure that Hyatt will learn from their mistakes and it will revert back to The Royal standards, all new ventures have their teething problems. Put it this way I always ask my husband if he would go back to where we are holidaying and he always answers the world is a big place lots to visit why go to the same place twice? However when I asked him if he would like to come back here he said yes and I agree we were made to feel special on this holiday. Even if your cabana is away from the bar you still get the attentive staff coming round to ask if you would like a drink which we did not find watered down at all. Thank you Guadalupe, Benjamin, Diaz and Frankie. Especially Guadalupe for also caring about me when I was not feeling too well one day. In Marie Marie Look out for Alfredo he is amazing Carlos and Miguel too. Louis the manager is a star. I am name dropping but all the staff are great. From managers to cleaners the care and respect you receive is second to none. Cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank yvonned

Dear yvonned ,

Thank you very much for taking part of your time to share with us your valuable review. We appreciate all the comments and suggestions made by our guests, such as yours, as it enables us to detect our areas of opportunity and improve every detail in our services.

We apologize if you encountered any shortfalls during your stay. As you mentioned in your review, we have made several enhancements , especially to our F&B program. Hyatt is passionate about listening to our guests´ feedback and re-adjusting any area that is not receiving positive comments.

We are delighted to know that a few of our associates were able to make that differnce during your visit, resulting in an excellent overall experience. We will gladly pass on your encouraging words to the personel your mentioned in your review.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back for a second time here at Hyatt Zilara Cancun!

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband visited the Hyatt Zilara Cancun for our Honeymoon and are returning today. I had never been to the resort before so I could not compare it to the prior Royal Cancun. I will say that we were not at all disappointed and would definitely return. The service here is phenomenal, we never were left wanting anything. Ivan was always around the pool asking if there was anything he could get us. The resort is beautiful as are the rooms. We had no trouble with check-in and were never hassled to upgrade. The drinks were always wonderful and the bartenders were great at suggesting drinks that we later loved. We did have problems getting reservations at Chef's plate and for the hibachi at Asiana. We were bummed to not get to eat at either as we had heard they were the best! Our breakfast at Spice and through room service was always good. We ate a Pelicanos for lunch several days and the food was good. Maria was also good for dinner. Although the food isn't very traditional and we were very unsure of some of the options on the menus, we never had a terrible meal. After speaking with several people at different all inclusive resorts in Cancun, I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else!

• Stayed: January 2014
9  Thank McKenzieWills

Dear McKenzieWills,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your review. Nothing is of greater interest to us than our guests´satisfaction and we are very happy to know that you had a fabulous overall experience.

We apologize, that you were not able to get a seating at Chef´s Plate nor Asiana´s Hibatchi table, but are pleased to know that you enjoyed all our other F&B offerings.

We are also very glad to see that our associate Ivan, was able to make your stay extra special, we will make sure to communicate your kind words to him.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Have stayed at the Royal 5 times and will be going again in 3 weeks! This will be my 15 th trip to Cancun and have stayed at several resorts but none have compared to the Royal! The staff are the best, the hotel is cleaner than most hospitals. Food has always been great. I'm a little worried about new owners (Hyatt) looking at cost cuts. My theory is dont fix something that isn't broken! I'm sure it all comes down to profit! Avelino ( head bellman) has become almost like a brother to me!

Room Tip: Ocean front view king suite
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank James K

Dear James K,

Greetings from Hyatt Zilara Cancun! Thank you very much for taking the time to write us. We appreciate our guests´feedback and take it very seriously.

We are delighted to let you know that we recently just made several enhancements to our F&B menu´s which have been very well received by our guests´ and we are positive that you will fully enjoy these fine-tunings.

Also. our associates have reimained the same: from check in to check out.
You will be pampered by the same excellent personnel that has always helped make your stay extra special.

Once again, we greatly value your feedback and look forward to welcoming you in a couple of weeks to help make your upcoming stay another memorable one.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions prior to your arrival.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We have been a member and travelled every year since this resort opened. I used to recommend this property(formally the Royal) to everyone. Since this change in management we have booked at a new resort in Cancun. The hotel for now is still very nice but everything else has went side ways. I would rate the new Hyatt average at best and highly overpriced. We love Cancun and area and there is other beautiful resorts that are a better bang for your dollar. We are heading back to Cancun in a month and unfortunately we won't be going back to this property.

Room Tip: there all the same facing the ocean don't be tricked into upgrading your room for the sake of a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank shamic1
MRobertsZilara, General Manager at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear shamic1,

First and foremost thank you for taking the time to share with us your review. We take our guests comments very seriously as it helps us to improve our services.

We apologize if we did not meet your expectations during your visit to Hyatt Zilara Cancun, our only interest is to satisfy our guests and members and deliver an exceptional experience.

We do hope you give us a second opportunity in the near future to show you all of our continuous improvements here at Hyatt Zilara Cancun.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I was referred to the Royal from a friend of mine in the UK. I booked the room about six months ago and was very excited to take my mother, who had never been out of the country. At that time, the Royal was ranked #6 of hotels in Cancun and is now #63 and I can see why.

First of all, the staff was amazing and the rooms were great. However, the menu had changed and we had a hard time getting reservations at the restaurants. We had specifically booked our room to enjoy the Chef's plate and when I called to make reservations, they said they were booked. Then we expected French - Mexican, when it was mediocre Italian. The buffet was bare and the food was bland. For a 4.5 star resort we expected more in regards to food.

However, I think my biggest challenge was the drinks. They were watered down and there were no "specialty drinks". For a 4.5 star hotel, I expected a nice cocktail that would help me unwind my days. The house wine was pretty bad and I wouldn't drink it, and it was free!

Hyatt you should be ashamed of yourself. The little things, from cheap chocolate (Hershey Kisses) at your bedside, instead of the truffles from the Royal and we couldn't get Mexican coffee at the coffee shop, it was a disaster.

I have learned my lesson, no all inclusive's for me, as they are a rip off. No wonder the approval rating has gone down the drain since Hyatt took over. We will not be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
10  Thank jenniferjoyhunt
MRobertsZilara, General Manager at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Dear jenniferjoyhunt,

Thank you very much for sharing your first experience at Hyatt Zilara Cancun.
We are very sorry to hear we were not able to meet your expectations.
Please be assured since your departure we have already made many enhancements to our food & beverage offerings thanks to the comments received from our valued customers.
We hope you will give us another opportunity to host you again in the future and provide you with the excellent all-inclusive service you deserve.

Kind regards,