“AWESOME RELAXING VACATION!!!”

Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Ranked #7 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Had an amazing trip to the HZ for our 10 year anniversary! My husband and I had a wonderful time. The staff are all great! Just to name a few...ROXANA at checkin was so polite and welcoming, asked our pillow preferences and turn down times, very nice! BAAK at the lobby bar was awesome, he remembered our favorite drinks from the first night and had them waiting each time after that before we sat down...LOUIS and OMAR at Pelicano's were outstanding! We ate at Pelicano's every night, it was delicious. We had Spice and room service for lunch. Mainly just didn't want to worry about reservations and dress codes...also, enjoyed the snacks in the 24 hour lounge. Each got relaxing messages from the Spa, I had JOSE' and my husband had CARMEN...both were great! Remember, TIPS GO A LONG WAY!! It's not required but very much appreciated by ALL staff!! Loved the nightly shows in the lobby and live music in the bar...It did end pretty early so not much to do after about 10:30, but still fun. We did have lots of rain but managed to get in some gorgeous beach time. Beach servers were nice and fast. All in all a wonderful worry-free trip! Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: We upgraded to a corner suite on the 8th floor with the reserved beach cabana...Room and Views were...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mary R
Alfonso J, Director General at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Mary R,

First of all thank you very much for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun for this special celebration and for sharing your amazing experience with us.

We are truly excited to know that you were able to truly enjoy the beautiful beach despite the weather conditions, as well as the delicious dining, relaxing spa and fun entertainment.

Thank you also for taking your time to recognize our valued associates such as Roxana, Baak, Louis, Omar, Jose and Carmen who will certainly be proud to know they were able to positively influence your stay.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and we sincerely hope we will have the privilege of hosting you again for your 11th anniversary!

Alfonso Jarquin

Write a ReviewReviews (6,299)

Reviewed 7 June 2014

This was our 8th visit to this hotel, six previous visits when it was the Royal, and our second visit as the Hyatt Zilara.
We received a very warm welcome from David and Avelino at the front foyer, and was checked into suite 430, there was however no recognition with the wristbands that we were repeat guests.Previously we have been given the black wristbands, but since Hyatt have taken over we have just been given clear ones.
Our suite was as expected, however the cleaning schedule was very late during our stay.
We would be out of our room from 7am to 4pm and the room would not have been cleaned during this time.My recommendation to the management would be to return the "clean my room" hangers to be used on the exterior door.
The 24hr lounge is nice to pop into for a coffee or snack, but the volume of the music in there is far too loud for comfort, and needs to be addressed, also the bin has been removed from this room, so waste would be left lying around as there was nowhere to put it, this needs to be replaced.
Asianas has a new menu, and there is a lot of seafood, which i do not eat.I asked if the salmon teriyaki could be done with chicken instead, and i got a resounding "No" i was amazed, apparently if i wanted chicken i had to make a reservation at the show cooking Hibatchi table, and then i could have it, so i guess the motto of"Expect The Exceptional" no longer exists.
There are quite a lot of new staff members, and you can see the difference in the customer training of these new members of staff, from the training and ongoing service given by the old Royal staff.
We were there when there was a deluge of the Mexican football federation on the hotel, and the whole ambience of the Hyatt changed from a relaxing holiday hotel, to a full on confrence centre. Management and staff focus shifted onto these visitors, with security staff blocking your way into and out of the foyer, not to mention the numerous camera crews and reporters blocking the way, at one point security tried to block my access to the toilets in the foyer because it was next to where the federation was gathering, this was not acceptable, and i used them regardless of what he said, i had paid to stay at this hotel, therefor i had paid to use the facilities also.
Another suggestion to the Hyatt would be to use the empty office in the foyer, that is being used as a storage area, and either use it as a reading room or a library, especially now that the 24hr lounge is too uncomfortably loud to sit in peace.
As always the backbone of this hotel is the staff,who it is a pleasure to know, and
who give outstanding service.
Luis and Hector- spice
Sergio and Jorge-pelicanos
Ivan and raphael-beach butlers
Frankie and Moises-pool service
Morris, Ligia, Eloisa, Miriam, Guadalupe, Wendy-lobby bar
Avelino and David-concierge front lobby
I have raised the points above, in the hope that these can be addressed by the Hyatt management, as everything else was very good.
This is still my favourite place in the world, and i have two further outstanding bookings, and i would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.
It would however be fair to say this visit was not my favourite.

9  Thank marsbar02
Alfonso J, Director General at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear marsbar02,

First of all thank you very much for your loyalty to Hyatt Zilara Cancun and for sharing your detailed and honest comments with us.

We are sincerely sorry to read that this has been your least favorite stay with us and that you felt there was a decrease in service, the cleaning being done too late in the day and the music in the 24 hrs lounge being too loud.
Please know that your comments and concerns have already been addressed with the corresponding departments and the appropriate corrective measures have been taken.

We are however please to know that you still enjoyed your overall stay thanks to the great service received by many of our associates, such as Avelino, David, Luis, Hector, Sergio, Jorge, Ivan, Raphael, Frankie, Moises, Morris, Ligia, Eloisa, Miriam, Guadalupe and Wendy.
Please be assured that we will share your kind words with every one of them.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and for recommending us to your friends and family. We cannot wait to welcome you back for your 9th visit in order to make sure your receive the exceptional vacation experience you have come to expect and deserve.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

A fantastic hotel great food, service and overall a fantastic place to stay however not without fault. We stayed here for our honeymoon and we expected it to be romantic going the extra mile eg room set up, reservations booked in our marital name etc but it never happened. We holidayed here for ten days but in reality we had 3 days due to the hotel being used by the Mexican football league officials they drained the hotel and the focus was on them and not us the paying guest who have travelled and spent a lot of money to stay (£4,000). Facility's were closed, there wasn't anywhere to sit, music during the day was minimum and the knock on effect for us was stressful it was like being at work waiting for the working day to end. Avoid the hotel during this period we are disappointed and feel like we have wasted our hard earned money and we will never honeymoon again it has be ruined.
During the day a little music at the bar and at night the entertainment show was good but that is where it ended a bit of music/ disco after the shows wouldn't harm anyone overall the night time was slow.

Thomas cook wasn't any help giving us wrong information on the football official numbers saying they'd be increasing the capacity of the hotel by ten percent more like 40-50 and it got worse as the week progressed we'd have asked to be moved if we wasn't lied to this has ruined our honeymoon.

Please please check if the hotel is hosting business meetings if not book this hotel as it is fantastic.

• Stayed: May 2014
6  Thank Nickllitoot

Dear Nickllitoot,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your honeymoon and for sharing your honest comments about your experience.

We are sincerely sorry to read that we were unable to meet your high expectations and that your vacation was negatively influenced by a corporate event taken place during the majority of your stay and that nothing was done to make this once in a lifetime event truly special for you.
Please be assured that this is not the type of service we aim to provide and that the appropriate corrective measures have already been taken.

We are however, pleased to read that apart from the above mentioned situation you truly enjoyed the resort.

We sincerely hope that you will allow us another chance to host you in the near future in order to provide you with the perfect and truly memorable vacation experience you deserve.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Wonderful, adults only, all inclusive resort on a beautiful wide white sand/turquoise water Cancun beach. A fantastic property to relax and enjoy a quiet get-away. The lobby is an attractive 3 story, airy, beautifully decorated area. It serves as the venue for the evening entertainment. Many comfortable chairs and sofas surround a central stage. Numerous cabanas available all along the pool and beach areas for privacy and comfort enjoying the breathtaking views. Several great restaurants with diverse cuisine to select from for buffet or a la carte meals; or choose private in-room dining; along with many bar areas offering a wide variety of beverage options. Our favorite restaurants were ASIANA, offering Japanese teppanyaki (reserve early to sit grill side and enjoy the chef’s culinary show); and TAPAS & PINTXOS, with delicious Spanish tapas.

Spacious suite lay-out with large shower area, in room Jacuzzi, and balcony caters to privacy for couples. The spa offers a diverse set of quality exercise equipment, with male/female sauna, steam bath and whirlpool areas. A wide selection of spas treatments are available. The entire staff was genuinely warm and extremely helpful. Always at your service with a smile and sincere desire to make your vacation unforgettable. Or particular note for their outstanding service and helpfulness were: Mario, chief guest services; Marcelo, chief concierge; Jessica in reception and Alma, massage therapist at the Spa.

Room Tip: Nearly all rooms have a fabulous beachfront view and a balcony. Request higher floor towards the en...
1  Thank Ron S

Dear Ron S,

First all thank you for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your recent vacation and for sharing your wonderful experience with us.

We are excited to know that you had a truly relaxing stay while enjoying the beautiful facilities, gorgeous views, great spa, delicious dining, especially at Asiana and Tapas & Pintxos, as well as the great service provided by our dedicate associates such as Mario, Marcelo, Jessica and Alma.

Be assured that we will communicate your kind words to them and I am certain they will be honored to know that they were able to assist in making this a truly unique and memorable experience.

Once again, thank you very much for your comments and we cannot wait to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Had a fabulous time at Hyatt Zilara, such a beautiful hotel. Came here for a one week getaway with two friends and we enjoyed all the amenities the hotel had to offer. Food was excellent with great variety. Our rooms were kept clean and well stocked everyday! Most staff were definitely very welcoming and accommodating. Diego and Manuel were amongst the staff with superb customer service. The lady working inside spazul ( I wish I got her name!) was also so welcoming and was so kind to care for us during our many visits into the hydrotherapy room. My friends and I enjoyed the variety of activities offered such as Edoardos's stretching class and tastings! Oh the tastings were so much fun, and was an incredible experience. However, I don't know how others would have known about it as it is not posted in the activity list shown in the elevator. We were fortunate enough to have attended Eduoardo's class to be informed about the tastings he conducted each day.

CONS:
- Security, or whoever were the line of uniformed men swarming the front, were not welcoming at all! Each time my friends and I entered (with our bracelets clearly visible) we were greeted with unwelcoming scowls. We are guests, not intruders.
- Now imagine an excessive abundance of unwelcoming scowls. We came during the futbol draft so security was heightened. Understood, but to create such an intimidating environment? Not the appropriate vibe for a vacation resort!
- Ordered the beef something over room service. Steak still had tendons attached and was pretty much raw! Not rare, but absolutely raw with just the outsides barely cooked.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay thanks to the staff that were so welcoming. I would definitely return again, though hoping security personnel were more personable next time around.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank nylarsdca
Alfonso J, Director General at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear nylarnoc,

First of all thank you very much for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun for this getaway with friends and for sharing your review with us.

We are truly sorry to read that you feel the security staff was not welcoming and that the beef you ordered from suite service was not prepared to your liking.
Please be assured that the issues you raised have already been communicated to the corresponding departments and the appropriate corrective measures have been taken.

We are however excited to know that you did not allow for these shortcomings to affect your overall experience and you truly enjoyed the relaxing spa, fun entertainment & activities, as well as the great service provided by most of the associates.

Please be assured that we will share your kind words with all of our dedicated associates, especially Eduardo, Diego and Manuel whom you were kind enough to mention by name.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback, and we sincerely hope we will have the privilege of hosting you and your friends again in the near future.

General Manger

Reviewed 6 June 2014

My boyfriend and I just came back from the Hyatt Zilara last week and we loved it! I had never stayed at an all-inclusive resort before and worried I would end up getting bored lounging by the pool and beach all day, but that's not the case at all. They had a little something for everyone and the food and drinks were a lot better than expected.

First of all, let me start by saying that we had a gorgeous view from our room. All of the rooms have an ocean view but I preferred being up a bit higher, which we were. You could see the ocean from almost anywhere in the room, including from inside the shower and from the giant whirlpool tub in the room. On the balcony there were two chairs, a small table and a hammock. It was so peaceful and relaxing to sit out on the balcony in the morning while having breakfast.

The hotel was immaculate....and this is coming from someone with OCD. I have never seen a cleaner hotel. There wasn't even a grain of sand in the open air lobby even though it's right next to the pool and beach.

Although it is true that most of the daybeds and lounge chairs next to the pool got reserved super early in the morning (by people leaving their belongings on them), we never had trouble finding anywhere to lay in the sun or shade on the beach.

The hotel itself is in the perfect location. It was at about the halfway point through the hotel zone. La Isla Shopping Plaza and the area where all the nightclubs are, are both within walking distance. However, the bus only costs $1 each way, is super easy to use and stops at each bus stop almost every 2 minutes, 24 hours a day. You can also take the bus to Las Ruinas Del Rey.

If I came back to Cancun, I wouldn't stay anywhere else. After going by the other hotels several times, I realized that ours was the only one in which all rooms had ocean views. It also had far more daybeds and lounge chairs on the beach than any other hotel that I saw and seemed to have the nicest pool out of any others I saw. Lastly, although I didn't choose The Hyatt Zilara because it's adults only, I'm glad we did choose an adults only resort. I never thought having children around would be an issue (I love children) but after walking around the Gran Caribe next door, I am soooo glad we stayed where we did. There were young teenagers swarming the place, making out on top of each other outside, getting drunk and rowdy, etc. Plus, the grounds did not seem as clean and I doubt it was because of the staff.

Anyways...back to focusing on Hyatt Zilara. I was surprised by the reviews I read previously saying that people had trouble finding the activities. There are flat screens in the lobby and elevator providing each day's activity schedule along with their location. We really enjoyed all of the activities we participated in and the staff was amazing, especially Hobal. On our first full day there, he lead our bicycle tour and taught our water aerobics class. Whenever we ran into him throughout the rest of the trip, he told us more about all of the activities going on. In addition to the bike riding and water aerobics, we also attended a guacamole making workshop, a gourmet cooking class with the chef from Spice (we made shrimp ceviche), a fondue night, a beach party and nightly shows in the lobby. There were also nightly tastings which we didn't have time to attend, such as a martini tasting, a tequila tasting, a coffee tasting, etc...

I booked our trip through Liberty Travel so we got an $150 credit to use at the spa as part of the MyTime benefits. We used this towards a couples massage and only had to pay an additional $15 plus tip. We also got to experience the temazcal at the spa through the activities center. I was worried I would get claustrophobic and/or pass out but it ended up being fine, and rather enjoyable.

We tried all of the restaurants with the exception of Chef's Table since that restaurant was not available for our type of room. We ate dinner at Asiana twice, once for the a la carte menu and once for the teppanyaki. Both were exceptional and I typically don't even like teppanyaki style food as I find it too salty. All of the other restaurants were excellent as well. The few stand out dishes I had were the ribs and the steak salad at Asiana, the nutella stuffed french toast at Pelicanos, the duck breast at Maria Marie, and the burger at Pelicanos. The only disappointment was that I was craving pizza late one night and wasn't able to find it anywhere. I had assumed it would be on the room service menu and/or at Pelicano's (since they have it there during lunch) but we sat down at Pelicano's only to find they only had real entrees. I only ordered a small caprese salad since I wasn't really hungry but they brought us out bread covered in sauce and cheese....I lucked out!! Don't ask me why I would go all the way to Mexico to order burgers and pizza....I'm not one of those people who only likes simple American food. I had my fair share of Mexican dishes as well though, which were all delicious.

I know a lot reviews on here comment on how bad the house wine is. I'm definitely no wine connoisseur (my favorite wine is anything Barefoot makes) but I didn't find the white wine to be bad at all. In fact, I quite enjoyed the sparking house wine. I didn't try the red though. There were too many good mixed drinks to try to have too much wine. Aside from alcohol, the cappuccinos and frappuccinos from the coffee shop were sooo good.

I can't say enough about how amazing all of the hotel employees were. Each and every one of them were truly exceptional. I was amazed at how smoothly they were able to run everything and they provided the best service I've seen. They were also very friendly, always smiling and made us feel like family.

¡Hasta luego!

8  Thank julierae9
Alfonso J, Director General at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear julierae9,

First of all thank you very much for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your well-deserved vacation and for sharing this detailed and positive review with us and all other TA reviewers.

We are very happy to read that you had the best time enjoying the gorgeous ocean views, well-kept facilities, fun activities, great location, delicious dining and excellent service provided by our dedicated associates, such as Hobal,

Be assured we will share your kind words with all our valued associates and I am certain they will be truly proud to know that they were able to assist in making your first all-inclusive experience truly enjoyable and relaxing.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we are very much looking forward to welcome you again on your next trip to Cancun, Mexico.

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

We had a 10 night stay at the zilara and it was lush. Evertyhing that we've come to love about Mexico so no disappointment there.

Plenty of choice on all menus and a great lunch time selection at pelicanos. Spice is the buffet and cooks all sorts if things, with fresh salad and veg available also. We opted for pelicanos as there is a risk of us over eating!
Our favourite restaurant was maria marie the mexican. Staff amazing and the food so tasty. Salsa was made in front of us and we had a run down about what was on the menu. Service exceptional.
We visited asiana twice and once for the teppenyaki show cooking. We did have to book in 3 days in advance for this. It was worth it.
We didnt have to wait at any restaurants too long for a table and only made a reservation for asiana teppenyaki.

Hotel
The hotel itself was cleab and tidy. Rooms spacious and gorgeous with an amazing view of the sea. We had room services for breakfast everyday and we only had to wait for 25 mins.
The communal areas were large and spacious also.

Pool/beach
We only ever visted the beach. The pool always looked full as in that all of the beds were resevered at ridiculous o clock! We coukd easy get a cabana on the beach and it was beautiful and peaceful, with waiter service for drinks.

Room for improvement
There were only a few niggles for us when we were there and they aren't complaints as such more areas which could have been better. The inside bar was the only main bar on an evening. It was open woth the entrance at the front so got quite clammy and warm. There were a couple of seats outside but if the doors were closed sometimes staff didnt come out to serve drinks.
The entertainment started at 8 which was far too early. After our meal there was nothing to just sit with a drink to pass the time.

We had a questionnaire to fill out when we checked in, it asked what time we wanted our room serviced and things like what pillow type we liked. Now why ask this if it wasn't done? We only got 1 extra pillow and room was serviced at different times. Not a problem but dont ask if it can't be fulfilled.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julia C
Alfonso J, Director General at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Julia C,

First of all thank you very much for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your well-deserved vacation and for sharing this detailed review with us.

We are sincerely sorry to read that you felt that the lobby bar got very warm at night and that there was a lack of service on the bar’s terrace, that you felt the evening entertainment finishes too early and that your requests for the turn down service time as well as the pillows was not fulfilled.
Please be assured that your comments and suggestions have already been communicated to the corresponding departments for the appropriate follow up.

We are however pleased to know that you did not allow for these areas of opportunity to affect your overall stay and you truly enjoyed the delicious and varied dining options, spacious suites, gorgeous views and amazing beach.

Once again, thank you very much for your honest feedback and we cannot wait to welcome you back in the near future.