“Best holiday ever! Loved this hotel”

Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Ranked #5 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
“Best holiday ever! Loved this hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just returned from the hyatt zilara with my boyfriend. We had the most amazing time the staff are so friendly. The hotel is beautiful and the beach it is set on is out of this world. There wasn't many hotels around that I felt lived up to the hyatt zilara.
The bed was huge and so comfy!
The food is mostly al a carte apart from spice which wasn't the best of an evening but it's what u would expect from a buffet there is plenty more choices! Also the room service comes in handy!
The staff really do look after you and are so nice even nicer if you give them a tip!
Raphael was our favourite he would clean my sunglasses everyday I didn't realise how dirty they got until then! Such a lovely man who looked after us. The drinks are all premium sometime you have to ask. I tried every cocktail on the menu I think. The thing I think let this place down was some American guests I seen a grown woman poor beers into the pool and then was throwing them round the cabana letting the poor guadalope clean after them it made me so mad! Think some people need to learn respect! But that was the guests not the hotel. Also if you wanted a decent sun bed they would all the taken early in the morning yet there was hardly any guests on them of a day I think there should be a time limit made! As it was June it was so hot the pool was like a hot bath. The only downfall to our room is that we had a corner suite looking directly onto our balcony also there was some works going on outside our door early in the morning they did offer a move but we had unpacked all our belongings so it wasn't worth the hassle.
I would definitely visit this hotel again me and my boyfriend had an amazing time. We did not want to come home! There's always going to be negatives but this hotel is the best hotel I've stayed in!

Room Tip: We forgot about online check in and was necxt to a corner suite is they could see right into our bal...
2 Thank Lauren B
Alfonso J, Director General at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Lauren B,

First of all thank you very much for allowing us the privilege of hosting you at Hyatt Zilara Cancun and for sharing your wonderful vacation experience with us and all other TA reviewers.

We are very sorry to read that you felt a little uncomfortable due to the neighboring balcony facing towards your suite and that your tranquility was disturbed by some maintenance work taking place close to your suite.
Please be assured that your comments have been communicated to the corresponding departments for the appropriate follow up.

We are however thrilled to read that you did not allow for these areas of opportunity to affect your overall experience and you had the best vacation while enjoying the beautiful facilities, gorgeous beach, comfortable suite, delicious and varied dining options as well as great service.

Thank you very much for recognizing our valued associates for their dedication and please be assured that we will share your kind words with every single one of them, especially Raphael and Guadalupe whom you kindly mentioned by name.

Once again, thank you for your preference and we cannot wait to welcome you back during your next vacation.

Alfonso Jarquin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,325)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

The hotel and its setting is beautiful. The staff was unfailingly friendly and seemed to be looking for ways to make us feel welcome and special. For example, the staff at Pelicanos brought towels for our chairs so our shorts-clad legs wouldn't end up with those ugly little wicker lines after breakfast. Our waiter at Maria, Marie brought us an extra entree just so we could try the lamb (we ended up eating all of it...along with our steak and shrimp entrees). We experienced so many thoughtful, small gestures that made all the difference. We chose Hyatt in part because the food had received such great reviews and it did not disappoint. Fresh, lots of variety, no problem getting seated...we never felt the need to leave the resort. Also, the water is filtered throughout the hotel so we didn't need to be paranoid about ice or brushing our teeth with tap water. Room and grounds were immaculate. Really, you can't go wrong with this one. Also, if you get an upgraded room be sure and try the Chef's Table. It's really fun and the food was amazing! The only thing about the location is the surf is rough and breaks really close to shore so it's better for frolicking rather than swimming or body surfing. This may be true of Cancun in general but it surprised me.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear MiMi2012MiMi,

Thank you very much for selecting Hyatt Zilara Cancun and for taking your time to share your comments with us.

We are truly excited to read that you had a wonderful vacation experience while enjoying the well-kept facilities, beautiful suites, delicious dining options and personalized service provided by our dedicated associates.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and we sincerely hope we will have the privilege of hosting you again in the near future.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

After searching and reviewing over 30 resorts, we chose the Hyatt Zilara because it was the only one that, once I got 30 reviews into reading, I did not read any negative reports! Everything was beautiful! The views, the rooms, the food, the service! Alberto at Pelicano's took care of me and my husband once he learned it was our honeymoon. My seaside massage was amazing! Breakfast at SPICE was my favorite...freshly made omelettes, waffles, smoothies....fresh fruit and all kinds of other options. The entire place was spotless and what else can I say! My husband and I walked about a half mile up the beach and the Hyatt was hands-down the most beautiful and sprawling. Beautiful inside and out. If you're planning on going to Cancun, do yourself a favor and stay at the Hyatt Zilara!

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanfront, but we stayed in 738. The rooms on the far ends are not directly over the...
4 Thank TiffanyTaylorJames
Alfonso J, Director General at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear TiffanyTaylorJames,

First of all thank you very much for selecting Hyatt Zilara Cancun for this once in a life time vacation and for sharing your amazing review with us.

We are very happy to read that you had a wonderful stay while enjoying the beautiful views, luxurious suites, relaxing beach side massage, delicious dining and excellent service.

Thank you very much for pointing out Alberto’s personalized service and be assured we will share your kind words with him. I am certain he will be truly proud to know he was able to assist in making this experience truly memorable for you and your new husband.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we cannot wait to welcome you back during your next travel to Cancun!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Our stay at Hyatt Zilara was better than expected. We've never been to an adults only all inclusive resort but we loved the Hyatt Zilara. There were NO hassles to sign up for a time share (as others have warned about), everything was clean, everyone who worked there was professional and nice, the food was amazing from the snacks in the 24 hour lounge to the reservation only Maria Marie. We especially loved the service with a smile and a laugh from Chuy in Spice and Manteo at Maria Marie. The pool was lively, music playing, drinks flowing and everyone having a good time. If you wanted to relax, the beach was quiet, serene and beautiful! The cirque de soleil type shows at night in the lobby were a great addition to enjoy after dinner. We requested a suite on the quiet side (the spa side of the hotel) and it was perfect! Hyatt never disappoints!

Room Tip: Rooms on the spa side are quieter, or you can choose from the rooms on the "activities" si...
1 Thank Mary S
Dear Mary S,

First of all we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your recent vacation and for sharing your wonderful experience with us.

We are thrilled to know that we were able to exceed your high expectations and that you sincerely enjoyed the well-kept facilities, delicious dining options, fun activities by the pool, relaxing beach, entertaining evening shows and great service provided by our valued associates.

Thank you very much for taking your time to recognize our associates, especially Chuy and Mateo, for their dedication and professionalism. Be assured we will share your motivating words with them.

Once again, thank you very much for your preference and we cannot wait to welcome you back in the near future.

Falkirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

booked this as a real resort was very worried when changed to hyatt as reviews plummeted when changed hands arrived yesterday and have to say blown away with hotel standards are quite amazing nothing is too much troublr for anyone looking forward to rest of stay

Room Tip: rooms are amazing lok to be on spa side of resort and 3rd floor or above swim up suites look brill
2 Thank law1105
Alfonso J, Director General at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear law1105,

First of all thank you very much for trusting Hyatt Zilara Cancun with your valuable vacation and for sharing your short, but excellent review while you are still at the resort.

We are excited to know that you first impression of our resort was truly wonderful and that you are enjoying your stay.

Please be assured that all our associates will continue providing you with excellent service in order to assure you have the truly memorable vacation you deserve.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We just got back from Cancun on Saturday, June 28th.
Very nice hotel. We were offered an upgrade to the Deluxe King Suite upon check in. The upgraded room seems to be same as the Ocean Front King Suite, plus wrap around balcony. You truly do not need to upgrade at this time, as there are plenty of Beach cabanas available during this time of year. Most people sit around the pool and there were maybe 20 to 30 people at the beach.
We dined once at the "Chef's plate" and I was somewhat disappointed by the service and the food quality. I do not consider myself a true "foodie", but I have dined at Chef's tables at various restaurants and the food at this place seems be to the same as being served at other restaurants within resort.
Asiana was also disappointing due to quality of sushi/roll offerings. This can be greatly improved at no additional cost. Maria Maria was very nice, specifically their preparation of lamb - requested medium and it was nicely executed.
Buffet was great for breakfast and so is the room service. But, by far, Palicano's had the best food/ambience combination for dinner. Do not be fooled by the layback "attitude" of this restaurant - the quality/quantity of the food during dinner beats all other restaurants.
As others have mentioned, the wine quality is poor and I would have preferred a $1.99/bottle "Charles Shaw" from Trader Shaw then the wine they serve at the resort. Yes, they have good vintages and some are reasonable prices. All other alcohol offerings are just fine - I like "Gray Goose" and they had that, plus some decent Tequila choices.
The entertainment is OK and I would recommend a couple of shows. It would be nice if hotel would deliver daily activity list with the newspaper. I know we missed a few nice events.
The hotel staff, as others have mentioned, is very attentive and I can rate them at the same level as the staff at Ritz Carlton.
Some of the facilities need a little maintenance, but, again, I am comparing it to the Ritz and Four Seasons.
This is our first Cancun all inclusive. I stayed at the Ritz Cancun a few times before.
I would come back to this hotel again.

Marina

Room Tip: High floors offer the best view. Corner rooms are great.
5 Thank Marina0717
Alfonso J, Director de Recepción at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Marina,

First of all thank you very much for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your first all-inclusive vacation and for sharing your experience with us.

We are truly sorry to read that you felt disappointed with the dining options at Chef’s Plate and Asiana, that the house wine was not to your liking, that you perceived some areas are in need of maintenance and that you feel you could have been informed more efficiently about the daily activities.

We sincerely appreciate your comments and suggestions and please be assured that they have already been communicated to the corresponding departments for the appropriate follow up.

We are however happy to know that you did not allow for those shortcomings to affect your overall stay and you still had a fabulous time while enjoying all other delicious dining options, especially Pelicanos, as well as the excellent service received by our valued associates.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and we are very much looking forward to hosting you again during your next trip to Cancun and to make sure you have a perfect stay!

Crest Hill, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Hyatt Zilara for a week for our Honeymoon. The views are beautiful, the rooms are nice, the architecture is unique, and the food is great. The poolside service was wonderful, as were the massages and dinner on the beach. Solomon, one of the greeters, will make you feel like royalty when you arrive, and Mateo at Marie Maria is a gem of a waiter. However, there were MAJOR issues with the service...we paid for the honeymoon package and VIP wristbands, and ended up not getting anything. We were promised champagne, chocolate strawberries, and rose petals in our room upon arrival, but we got nothing. We were told we'd be "surprised" with it on another night of our stay, but that never happened. The staff seemed to have one excuse after the next, without a resolution. When we didn't receive anything by the later half of the week, we spoke with Escobar, the romance concierge, who said we should've received our surprise already and that he'd make sure it was done that evening. Let's just say all we got was rose petals, aka a half a** job. I was hoping they'd go above and beyond because of the slip up, rather, it was a poor presentation and a disappointment, especially after speaking to other couples staying at the Hyatt, NOT on their honeymoon, who got the whole nine yards every night!! Very displeased. I asked to speak with a manager, but was told I could not, so I just let it go. The next day, after giving a very generous tip to our housekeeper on day one, our room was not cleaned. Once again, not so "VIP," more like "reject" wristbands.
There were several other instances where we did not receive any service...on our first day, we asked for different drinks to be stocked in our fridge and white wine instead of red for our room, we called, left notes, and spoke to different people to request this, and never got anything.
The worst part of it all, is that we asked to speak to management, because we just wanted what we paid for...and we weren't allowed. We had overheard other guests say that the only way to get something resolved is to tweet Hyatt corporate, so we did. They responded within moments, but gave us the run around and said the hotel would contact us, even though we tried that in the first place. The hotel then tweeted us to send them a direct message (via twitter!!) to discuss, rather than coming to talk to us in person! It was absolutely appalling.
There were also children in the pool at the "adults only" all inclusive. Security was alerted, but nothing was done, even after the kids were running and screaming, and jumping into the private swim up pools. Another unacceptable issue-lots and lots of unhappy guests.
The more people that we spoke to, the more it seems like this resort has gone downhill after Hyatt took over. We met a lot of owners who were unhappy with the service now that Hyatt was in charge, and that their experiences in the past had been much, much better. It's interesting, because we booked this trip before Hyatt took over ownership and didn't get the majority of the things we were promised when it was the Real.
A few other notes...when we talked to Escobar, he told us that his manager required him to tell us to write ONLY POSITIVE reviews on trip advisor, despite our experience, because the hotel's rating had dropped out of the top ten in Cancun and he needed it to come up, but Escobar told us to tell the truth...you bet we're telling the truth, because that's absolutely absurd. I wouldn't want anyone on their honeymoon to experience what we did...VIP means nothing, neither does paying for the honeymoon package.
Nothing has been resolved and we don't ever plan on going back, or suggesting others visit there, which was the vibe we got from most guests. The majority of positive reviews are because guests are being told what to do, and are doing it. Hyatt had the chance to correct this issue on multiple occasions, but apparently complaining on trip advisor is the only way to get things done, but it doesn't change the unpleasant visit that we had.
We could've chosen anywhere in the world for our honeymoon, and we chose the Hyatt Zilara, an adults only all inclusive, and boy were we disappointed. Kids, running around, no housekeeping, not getting what you pay for...this hotel is NOT worth the money, and they don't care to fix mistakes.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Danielle W
Dear Danielle W,

First of all thank you very much for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your honeymoon vacation and for sharing your honest review with us.

We are truly sad to read about the inconveniences you experienced with your honeymoon package, housekeeping service and especially the lack of customer service you perceived when you first reported the issues.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the shortcomings you encountered during your stay and please be assured that this is not a typical example of the kind of service we aim to provide to our valued guests.

We would like to assure you that all issues you have raised have already been communicated to the corresponding departments for the immediate follow up and resolution.

We are happy to read that you did enjoy the comfortable suites, great views, beautiful architecture, delicious dining options, pool side service and relaxing massage treatments.
Thank you for pointing out Solomon and Mateo for their personalized service and know that we will share your kind words with them.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and we sincerely hope you will allow us another opportunity to host you in order to demonstrate the constant improvements and make sure you have the once in a lifetime vacation you deserve.