“Great gym at the hotel”

Ranked #5 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Helotes, TX
“Great gym at the hotel”
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the resort this week. Ale was our concierge who was very professional and helpful. Edoardo was the personal trainer I used at the excellent spa and gym facilities. Beautiful and clean gym with all new equipment. Professional and helpful staff. We will definitely return next summer.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank DGFHelotes_TX
Alfonso J, Director General at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear DGFHelotes_TX,

First of all thank you very much for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your recent vacation and for sharing your great vacation experience with us.

We are excited to know that you had a wonderful vacation while enjoying the updated gym, as well as the great service provided by our dedicated associates such as Ale and Eduardo.

Please be assured we will share your kind words with them and I am certain they will be truly proud to know they were able to positively influence your stay.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we cannot wait to welcome you again next summer.

Alfonso Jarquin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,359)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Hyatt Zilara for 5 days in mid-April to celebrate our 10-year anniversary. Overall, we enjoyed our visit and the hotel was nice. We value good food and found that the different restaurants had great ambiance and a nice variety of interesting menu selections. However, the actual execution of the cooking can be a bit hit or miss (with some things tasting as good as they sounded and others not so much).

Other than the food, here is the good and bad:

Good:
-Nice coffee shop with good drinks (including great smoothies) and snacks. Benjamin and Manuel were very great hosts and always willing to help us.
-Dana Perdigan taught a very good Zumba class my wife really enjoyed and they had a decent pilates class and decent gym if you enjoy working out
-Pretty beach/ocean and very nice beach chairs and shaded beds provided by hotel. Pretty landscaping around pool as well.
-Nice hot tub in room and good view
-Excellent entertainment some nights (acrobats/dancers were amazing!)
-Noe and Hugo were great waiters at Maria Maria restaurant

Bad:
-Many of staff seem young/inexperienced/inattentive and don't know much about the hotel and surroundings if you need help
-They don't provide much information about the hotel when you arrive, so you have to figure out where things are, what activities are happening, what the rules are (e.g. have to go back to the room to get shoes to eat at the restaurant beside the pool).
-It's hard to find out when activities are happening because they don't post them until the morning of, not many are announced, and some don't actually occur
-Wine selection (unless you pay extra for better) was quite poor (and I'm not super picky about wine!)
-No dancing other than a beach party one night with bump-n-grind music (being in Mexico, we were really hoping to dance some salsa)

Ways It Could Be Improved
-It would be nice if they provided a list of all the drinks they offer so you could identify new things to try and know what is available
-More help finding/booking tours others than with the single tour package reseller in the hotel
-Include airport transport
-We mentioned we were celebrating our 10-year anniversary and my wife's 40th birthday that week when they asked why we came, but they did not do anything extra.
-Coffee quality in the coffee shop is not the best if you are a connoisseur of a fine brew
-Offer dance lessons some nights and/or have space/music for dancing in evenings when they often have a band playing on the main level

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank worldsample
Dear worldsample,

First of all thank you very much for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun for the celebration of these special occasions and for sharing your detailed feedback with us.

We are truly sorry to read that you felt some staff was inexperienced, some of the food not meeting your expectations, the activities not being announced efficiently and the house wine not being to your liking.
Be assured that your comments and suggestions have already been communicated to the corresponding departments for the appropriate follow up.

We are however pleased to know that you did not allow for these areas of opportunity to affect your overall experience and you still had a great vacation while enjoying the varied dinging options, great atmosphere, comfortable suite, amazing view, entertaining shows and excellent service.

Be assured we will share your kind words especially with Benjamin, Manuel, Dana, Noe and Hugo.

Once again, thank you very much for your preference and we are very much looking forward to having the honor of welcoming you back in the near future.

General Manage
Indiana
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My bf and I just spent three days at this Hyatt and we had the time of our lives. We didn't have one complaint. We were a bit worried about the whole aggressive timeshare thing. They gave us the pitch upon checking and we informed them that we weren't interested and we were never bothered again. The service is impeccable! We will definitely return!

1 Thank syj9704
Dear syj9704,

First of all thank you very much for taking your time to share this short, but truly positive review with us.

It was a pleasure to host you and your boyfriend at Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your recent vacation and we are thrilled to read that you had a thoroughly wonderful vacation experience and especially enjoyed the great service provided by our dedicated associates.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we cannot wait to welcome you back during your next Cancun vacation.

Liverpool
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I found this hotel me an my partner Anthony ever stayed in we loved every thing about it apart from my sun burn not enough cream we loved spice for breakfast every morning an we met a lovely gentle man called hector an lady called Shirley the service was Amazin in there an every we're in there we eat several times in pelicanos does lovely food r server from our lobster meal on the beach couldn't do enough for us Sergio also David the pool entertainment an sport entertainment was Amazin also my partner loved a game of tennis with mario the tennis pro such a good help to get him started again. Wish the entertainment was just a bit longer we had a lovely welcoming from Soloman an we met a beach bachelor called ralpheal who was a great help an was a credit to of known him through out our stay an also the other beach bachelor luis was such a great guy always willing to help couldn't do enough for us. All in all we had a brilliant 2 weeks in paradise an will certainly be back to stay in the near future

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Emmawalsh88
Alfonso J, Director General at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Emmawalsh88,

First of all we would like to thank you for allowing us the privilege of hosting you and your partner during your recent vacation in Cancun and for sharing your excellent review with us.

We are very excited to know that you had an amazing stay while enjoying the delicious dining options, plentiful all-inclusive offerings, fun activities and great service provided by our valued associates.

Please be assured we will communicate your positive feedback with all our associates, especially Hector, Shirley, Sergio, David, Mario, Solomon, Raphael and Luis. I am certain they will be very proud to know that they assisted in making this stay extra special.

Once again, thank you very much for your comments and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Wow! I would like to say that I have very high standards and this vacation met all my expectations! The hotel is considered a 5 diamond resort and I can see why. It is updated and has a very nice Spanish feel. Our room was amazing! Clean,comfortable bed, nice Jacuzzi in room,separate vanity area, toiletries provided (even needle and thread) the maids do a great job, they even leave you chocolates by the bed after cleaning your room. We had an ocean front view room and the view was amazing! Beautiful white sand and turquoise colored water.The staff members are wonderful everyone goes above and beyond to make sure you feel like a king and Queen. I would like to mention Jorge at the Pelicano restaurant what a pleasant server he made jokes and made our wonderful dinner even more enjoyable. Luigi at the Spice restaurant made us a special Kahlua drink. The best alcoholic beverage I experienced there! He makes this special show with fire, be sure to ask for Luigi you will be very impressed. Jimmy our personal concierges was so helpful! Everyone we encountered was so nice, not one rude person the whole trip. I would definitely stay at this Hyatt again. I cant wait to take my next trip! I would also recommend Coco Bongo this is a must night club to go to in Cancun. It is much more than just a night club they have world class performers.Don't miss Xcaret park. this is amazing and one of the highlights of our trip This is truly a wonderful place with exceptional service, beaches, shows, food. I will be planning my next trip to Cancun shortly and I will be staying at the Hyatt Zilara =)

Room Tip: King room with ocean front room
Dear Vanessa J,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for selecting Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your recent vacation and for sharing your wonderful experience with us.

We are truly excited to know that we were able to meet your high expectations with the updated and well-kept facilities, comfortable suites with luxurious amenities, beautiful beach, amazing view and most importantly excellent service provided by our dedicated associates, such as Jorge, Luigi and Jimmy.

Please be assured we will share your motivating comments with every single one of them and I am certain they will be proud to have influenced your vacation in such a positive way.

Once again, thank you very much for your preference and we cannot wait to welcome you back during your next trip to Cancun!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 2 July 2014

If you are looking for somewhere to stay that isn't a crazy, roudy hotel and is just a wonderful relaxing time on the beach, this is the place. The entire facility was so clean, the staff was sooo nice and attentive. The rooms are cozy and spacious, the restaurants were very good and everyone greeted you with a smil and were willing to help out. Raphael cleaning off sunglasses at the pool, making appointments for facials etc. Guadalupe was the sweetest and very attentive with drinks, she worked her tail off and always with a smile. Alfredo and Alberto at Pelicanos were the nicest, filling drinks up before you even finished, remembering what you liked from the day before and bringing extra chips and salsa. Ross at Asiana was also very nice and made our final dinner very lovely. He was really working hard that evening and had a lot of tables, but still had service with a smile.

We ate Spice every moring for breakfast which was very good and ate at Pelicanos every day for lunch and never tired of the options on the menu. For dinner we had spice one night which was just so-so, then we had Maria Marie and I wish I could remember our waiters name there because he was just the best. The food was really wonderful, it was like a mexican/french fusion and I had wonderful salmon and my husband had Lamb ribs which he said was very delicious. The next two nights we ate at Asiana, made reservations for the hibachi one night which was fun and also very good.. and the next night we ate in the main dining because the sushi was soooo good and fresh, we wanted to return and eat there again. We never tried the tapas place so I can't speak to that, but there are definitely great options for you to try and you won't be disappointed. All drinks were top shelf, except the house wine isn't the greatest.. but you can always pay more and get a nicer bottle if you are a wine drinker.

Negatives:
- the pool water was so hot, like bathwater. I am sure this isn't their fault and not sure what they could do about it because it is June in Mexico, but the ocean was definitely more refreshing. The problem with being at the ocean is that the drink service isn't as speedy, but there is a tequila bar that is on the lower level that faces the ocean and is just a quick walk up the sand to get your drinks. AGain, not a real complaint of the hotel so much as the temp of the water and just REALLY wishing there was a cool pool to dip into.
- Spice buffet for lunch was the same every day, pasta and some sort of meat. I was just wishing for options like a club sandwich or chicken fingers, pizza.. something easy to run in and get a snack appropriate for laying out in the sun. No one wants to eat pasta and meat and then lay in the sun. However, there are other options for lunch, pelicanos, which had great lunch options- flank steak tacos, mayan tacos, shrimp tacos and the best guacamole. Maybe that's what they prefer you to eat if you want pizza etc, but I think snacky finger foods at a buffet would have been good too. Also, I heard the room service was great, never used it though, and you can't bring it down to the pool, so you get a little hungry for snacky stuff. Would be great if the pool staff brought around snacky things every so often.
- Spa: I got the hydration facial and as someone who gets facials quite frequently, it wasn't that great. Typically when they put on your mask and have to wait for it to dry, the facialist spends time massaging your neck, arms and shoulders.. not so here, she proceeded to loudly clean up the room and rinse out the bowls and even opened the door to wheel the steamer out. I had never had such an unrelaxing environment for a facial and was really disappointed for the price. the spa itself was nice and I am sure the massages are wonderful, but if you are into facials I would save your $ and do it at home where you know you like it.
- The shows are entertaining but only last an hour and then there really isn't much to do at the hotel. Lucky for us, we were worn out from the day and were fine to just go back to the room and relax. Would have been fun if they did something after the shows like casino tables each night or something.
- Agree with a previous post comment about people coming down and claiming their beach chairs early but then never showing and some of the best spots sat empty all day. I think there needs to be some time limit if you are not occupying it. Maybe a card that the staff could lay on the chairs and if it is not picked up within several hours, the towels are cleaned and moved. Most didn't even have hats or books to reserve the spots, just towels but no one knew if they were okay to move and use.
- Each morning we would hear room service or someone clanking plates up and down the hall at like 6am and it woke us up, I think they were cleaning up room service from the night before, it was just a little loud.

Overall the negatives really aren't all that negative about the place itself, I would say this was a very relaxing trip and we would definitely consider returning and would recommend to other friends. If you are trying to decide where to go in Cancun, definitely put this on your list.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the lobby are better, on the corner if possible.
1 Thank loto23
Dear loto23,

First of all thank you very much for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun and for sharing your detailed comments with us.

We are sincerely sorry to read that Spice was not your favorite for dinners, that the water in the pool was too hot for your liking, that you feel like the evening entertainment finishes too early, that you feel not enough snacks are available for the pool and especially that the facial you received did not meet your expectations.

Please be assured that all concerns and suggestions you raised have already been communicated to the corresponding departments for the appropriate follow up.

We are however very happy to know that you did not allow for these areas of opportunity to affect your overall stay and that you had a truly relaxing vacation experience while enjoying the delicious dining options, comfortable suites and attentive associates.

We would like you to know that we will gladly share your kind words with every single one of our valued associates, especially Raphael, Guadalupe, Alfredo, Alberto and Ross, whom you were kind enough to compliment on their service.

Thank you very much for recommending us with your friends and family and we hope you will allow us the privilege to host you again in the near future.

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just returned from the hyatt zilara with my boyfriend. We had the most amazing time the staff are so friendly. The hotel is beautiful and the beach it is set on is out of this world. There wasn't many hotels around that I felt lived up to the hyatt zilara.
The bed was huge and so comfy!
The food is mostly al a carte apart from spice which wasn't the best of an evening but it's what u would expect from a buffet there is plenty more choices! Also the room service comes in handy!
The staff really do look after you and are so nice even nicer if you give them a tip!
Raphael was our favourite he would clean my sunglasses everyday I didn't realise how dirty they got until then! Such a lovely man who looked after us. The drinks are all premium sometime you have to ask. I tried every cocktail on the menu I think. The thing I think let this place down was some American guests I seen a grown woman poor beers into the pool and then was throwing them round the cabana letting the poor guadalope clean after them it made me so mad! Think some people need to learn respect! But that was the guests not the hotel. Also if you wanted a decent sun bed they would all the taken early in the morning yet there was hardly any guests on them of a day I think there should be a time limit made! As it was June it was so hot the pool was like a hot bath. The only downfall to our room is that we had a corner suite looking directly onto our balcony also there was some works going on outside our door early in the morning they did offer a move but we had unpacked all our belongings so it wasn't worth the hassle.
I would definitely visit this hotel again me and my boyfriend had an amazing time. We did not want to come home! There's always going to be negatives but this hotel is the best hotel I've stayed in!

Room Tip: We forgot about online check in and was necxt to a corner suite is they could see right into our bal...
2 Thank Lauren B
Alfonso J, Director General at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Lauren B,

First of all thank you very much for allowing us the privilege of hosting you at Hyatt Zilara Cancun and for sharing your wonderful vacation experience with us and all other TA reviewers.

We are very sorry to read that you felt a little uncomfortable due to the neighboring balcony facing towards your suite and that your tranquility was disturbed by some maintenance work taking place close to your suite.
Please be assured that your comments have been communicated to the corresponding departments for the appropriate follow up.

We are however thrilled to read that you did not allow for these areas of opportunity to affect your overall experience and you had the best vacation while enjoying the beautiful facilities, gorgeous beach, comfortable suite, delicious and varied dining options as well as great service.

Thank you very much for recognizing our valued associates for their dedication and please be assured that we will share your kind words with every single one of them, especially Raphael and Guadalupe whom you kindly mentioned by name.

Once again, thank you for your preference and we cannot wait to welcome you back during your next vacation.