“The staff make this hotel awesome”

Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Ranked #6 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“The staff make this hotel awesome”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Rachel & Gail from Scotland

I have just returned from the Hyatt Zilara with my sister , having spent 14 days here , I wanted to mention the following staff members who made our holiday the best ever .
Nava at the beach & lobby bar , he was soo attentive & knowledgable on various drinks and made us some fantastic cocktails and shots, a truly lovely and friendly guy who is an absolute asset to the hotel.
Evian at the entertainment was also a lovely guy who was very friendly and made everyone feel welcome.
Victor and Ivan at the lobby bar, Frankie the waiter, Miriam , Guadalupe Moises beach bar , Raphael , German, bellboy , Enrique the night manager and lots of others.
The rooms were beautiful and the view was to die for. I will be returning to the hotel in October due to the above members of staff who made this holiday so memorable.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Alfonso J, Director General at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Rachel & Gail,

Thank you very much for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your recent vacation and for sharing your amazing experience with us.

We are excited to read that you truly enjoyed the beautiful suite, gorgeous view and especially the excellent service received by our associates.

We truly appreciate you recognizing our valued associates such Nava, Evian, Victor, Ivan, Frankie, Miriam, Guadalupe, Moises, Raphael, German and Enrique for their dedication and personalized service provided and will most certainly share your motivating words with every single one of them.
They will most certainly be proud to know that they positively influenced your vacation experience and have earned your appreciated loyalty.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and we cannot wait to pamper you again during your next visit in October.

Alfonso Jarquin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,385)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vacaville, California
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I want to start by saying that we had a great time during our 7 day stay at Hyatt Zilara. We stayed in room 401, premium ocean front deluxe suite with wrap around balcony. The toilet ran almost all the time, but it seemed to work ok. It was a beautiful room but was not what I signed up for. When I booked it, the description included premium liquors but when I got there, it was the same liquors that all other rooms got. Our friends were in a swim up room, so we got to compare our liquors with theirs and they definitely had a higher grade of liquor. Don't bother with the premium ocean front deluxe room, either get the swim up room or forget it. It is not worth the money. From now on, I will always print off the web page description of the room and take it with me because the front desk just shrugged when I complained about the low grade liquors. Another thing that you need to know is that the cabanas around the pool are first come first served, however, I got up at 6am to claim one of the cabanas only to find that none were available even at that early hour. The pool boys may be able to find you one if you tip heavy, however that is not always certain. If the towel is still rolled up on the cabana bed then you can claim it as yours, but even then I was scolded by someone who had supposedly put his bag on the cabana bed early that morning, only to find out that on that day a new rule was imposed (unbeknown to the guests) that no cabanas could be claimed prior to 7am and all property got confiscated by security that morning. What a mess. Hyatt needs to just charge for the cabanas by the pool for the day so that guests can prebook them.
Raphael by the pool was the best! He was a beach butler who made sure that guests were having a good time. He got us a cabana one day only to feel the wrath of a guest who thought she had already claimed it. Raphael made peace with her. What a diplomat he is!! The food was 8/10 for me but my "hard to please husband" gave it a lower rating. He is vey hard to please to take that with a grain of salt. A word of advice, the day you check in, go ahead and make reservations at Marie Marie and the Asiana restaurants otherwise you will never get to eat there. We did not know this and so we never got to eat at either of these restaurants. The alcohol flows freely there anywhere in the hotel. The waiters and all of the staff were extremely friendly and respectful! The cabanas on the ocean are great but caution regarding the sun on the beach.....even in the shade you can get a horrible sunburn. Wear tons of 70+, because that is all that will work down on the beach, even in the shade of a cabana!!! We got stuck in the hotel elevator once and it was so hot that I thought my husband would have a stroke due to his anger and the intense heat. After about 5 mins they rescued us so it was not that bad. Caution, when the elevator is overloaded is when it will get stuck, so ride by yourself whenever possible. The nightly entertainment was OK but after a couple of nights, it all seemed the same. We did the wine tasting and tequila tasting and both of those were fun. The pools are 8/10 but the main pool gets too hot by the end of the day. The swim up pools are cooler and more refreshing. The spa was OK but not great. Needs a few more touches of finesse. The north end of the hotel is loud. The music is like night club music and is relentless. The south end of the hotel property is quieter and no music. Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: room on the south end are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank oualumni
Dear oualumni,

First of all thank you very much for allowing us the privilege of hosting you at Hyatt Zilara Cancun during your recent vacation and for sharing this detailed and honest review with us.

We are truly sorry to read that you felt disappointed with the Premium Liqour selection in your suite, the WC running constantly, that the dining was not entirely to your taste and that you did not get to try all of the upscale dining options, that you found the spa and entertainment could be improved as well as the system for the beach cabanas and especially that you got stuck in the elevator for a few minutes.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for these areas of opportunity and please be assured that we have already communicated your comments and suggestions to the corresponding department for the appropriate follow up.

We are however pleased to read that you did not allow for this to affect your overall stay and your still had a great vacation while you enjoyed especially the great service received by Raphael.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and we sincerely hope you will allow us the honor of welcoming you back in the near future in order to provide you with the perfect experience we aim to provide to all our valued guests.

Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This was our first time in Cancun. We have previously been to The Royal Playa Del Carmen twice before. While we find the Playa to be more intimate and friendly, we were very happy with Cancun. The layout of the resort is perfect as most rooms have a beachfront view with large balconies over-looking the pools and large sandy beach. The rooms are large with very comfortable beds and your own spa/tub. Tile floors thru-out, very clean, and two-person shower. We are Real Club members, but found the club concierge to be useless. Had to go "above their heads" to Marcelo Peon who got us what we needed. Quite a difference from the Playa Del Carmen where Yali Perez (Real Club Concierge) took care of every little detail we asked for. Found the rest of the staff at Cancun to be friendly and helpful. Shout-out to Eduardo at the swim up bar, Tony in Coffee House, Miguel at the Lobby Bar, Jasmine (hostess), all the staff at the Spice restaurant as well as our room (Olivea) and mini-bar attendant (Dave).

Room Tip: Get an Ocean-Front room! Many are, but some are not.
Dear Douglas273,

Thank you very much for selecting Hyatt Zilara Cancun once again for your recent vacation and for taking your valuable time to share your comments with us.

While we are sorry to read that the Real Club Concierge was not as helpful as you are accustomed, we are very happy to know that Marcelo Peon was able to assist you with all your needs as well as Eduardo, Tony, Miguel, Jasmine, Olivia and Dave.

Please be assured that we will share your kind words with them and I am certain they will feel truly motivated to continue in providing great service to all our valued guests.

Once again, thank you for your loyalty and we cannot wait to host you again during your next Cancun vacation.

Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We just had our wedding on 7/11. It was fantastic!! We had so much fun, and the unique experience of a Mayan ceremony on the beach.

We have been Real Club members for 3 years now, and are very happy with our decision. With all the weeks we had, we decided to have our wedding there, and invite our families. In the end, we were 46 people, and everyone had a fantastic time. We had people at both the Hyatt Zilara, if they had no kids, and the Gran Caribe Real. It was easy to go back and forth between the resorts. Also, the Wedding Center handled all the details very well, making it very easy.

I would like to call out three standout people; Ale Romero, who has done so much for us during all of our stays, and always goes above and beyond, Solomon and Hector. All pushed service to an outstanding level.

After a week in Cancun, we transferred down to the Royal Playa del Carmen for our honeymoon, which ends tomorrow. All in all, I couldn't be happier with how everything went and how much fun we have had.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear rheitmann1,

First of all thank you very much for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your destination wedding and for sharing your truly wonderful experience with us.

We are excited to know that you had the perfect wedding with the unique Mayan Ceremony on the beach and that you once again very much enjoyed the personalized service provided by Ale Romero, Solomon and Hector.

Please be assured that we will share you kind words with them and they will most certainly be proud to know that they were able to assist in making this one in a lifetime experience memorable.

Thank you very much for your loyalty and we cannot wait to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We just came back from the hotel, which we had visited once before, when it was the 'Royal'. Our previous experience was outstanding, so our expectations were high!... Unfortunately, higher than what the hotel delivered this time!

Some highlights were:

- Great facilities and service at the SPA - Hilda Garcia and Gabriel are both amazing!
- Excellent service by the staff at Asiana (thank you Alex for an amazing show at the Teppanyaki and Julio Cesar for great service), Maria Marie (thank you Alfredo!), and Spice (thank you Gisel, Manolo, Limberth and Laura).
- Welcoming service by Solomon at the reception area.

Some things to improve:

- The online check-in system didn't work, and customer service prior to arrival was not very responsive. Also, the people doing the check in were not very welcoming.
- The selection of food used to be a lot better, particularly at Asiana. Sushi and seafood selections were very limited. There's no longer sashimi on the menu.
- The quality of the 'regular' coffee is poor. The selection and quality of the house wines are also poor.
- The reservation system for restaurants seems dysfunctional - we saw lots of empty tables waiting for people that never showed up, while others were being turned away.
- There are no activities at night! Also, the activities during the day were not advertised.

Overall, a good experience... just wish it was a great one!

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Lisbeth P
Alfonso J, Director General at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Lisbeth P,

First of all thank you very much for selecting Hyatt Zilara Cancun once again for your well-deserved vacation and for sharing your honest comments with us.

We are truly sorry to read about the online check in not functioning correctly, as well as the lack of responsiveness you perceived by customer service prior to arrival, that the front desk associates did not make you feel welcome, that the variety of the food in the restaurants, especially in Asiana, that the coffee and house wines were not to your liking, that you felt the system for dining arrangements was not functioning appropriately and that the activities were not announced efficiently.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for these areas of opportunity and be assured the issues you raised have already been communicated to the corresponding departments for the appropriate corrective measures to be taken.

While we are truly sad that we were unable to meet your high expectations during this visit, we are very happy to know that you still had a great vacation and especially enjoyed the great service provided by our dedicated associates such as Hilda, Gabriel, Alex, Julio Cesar, Alfredo, Gisel, Manolo, Limberth, Laura and Solomon.

We will most certainly share you kind words with every single one of them and I am certain they will be very proud to know they positively influenced your vacation experience.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and we sincerely hope you will allow us the privilege of hosting you again in the near future in order to provide you with the great experience you have come to expect and deserve.

Houston
Reviewed 17 July 2014

awesome place. we usually stay at the resort in playa del carmen. but the cancun location is perfect. the layout of the resort is awesome, where i would say that no room has a bad view. we had a swim up room. it was so wonderful. excellent service.

Room Tip: rooms with ocean views are the very best.
1 Thank Candace R
Dear Candace R,

First of all thank you very much for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your honeymoon vacation and thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us.

We are truly excited to know that you very much enjoyed the great location, beautiful facilities, amazing suite and gorgeous views.

Once again, thank you very much for you feedback and we cannot wait to welcome you back in the future for another perfect vacation.

Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 16 July 2014

IN my Opinion and My opinion only... I want to help everyone make a sound decision here.
1st I want to speak about Cancun and Cancun only... Cancun Prior to the Hurricane in 2007 and now is a night and day different. I have been to Cancun 4 or 5 times. All before the hurricane, until last week. Wow what a difference. It is almost like we were in a different country. I would recommend Cancun to anyone looking for fantastic Beaches with the bluest water around.
It was amazing.

Hotel: We went there as a trip for my wife's birthday. She has never been to Cancun, so we decided to try it again. My first interaction with the hotel was troublesome. Lack of communication via phone calls and emails became bothersome to me as well. I wanted to confirm, (Being avid travelers) that we indeed had reservations as anything can happen booking thru 3rd parties. I was getting no where with them, so I reached out to Hyatt and asked them for a contact person for the hotel. I did get an email from Hyatt (From Charmain V. (ms), and she gave me a contact email for Hyatt Zilara Cancun. (Evelio) After 3 emails to this person with no response back, I had to call the hotel again, where I got in touch with the concierge department (Sharbel). After speaking with Sharbel, I told her that I wanted to do something special for my wife's birthday, and asked her for any ideas. She had none. She did say however that she would email me some info. I just dismissed this as a language barrier, and just figured it would be easier to email anyways, and just waited for her email with this info. Hours go by, nothing. I called hotel again, and left a message with the front desk, to tell Sharbel, that I never received this email. Finally, Later in the day, I did receive this email from her. After I looked at the material, and decided what I wanted to do for my wife, I emailed her back. ***No Response**. I emailed again. No response. I just gave up.

On the plane, (I feel this is relevant) we landed in Cancun, and I started talking to a guy sitting next to us, and he asked where we were staying. I told him Hyatt Zilara. He quickly said, "We tried to stay there, and have our sons wedding there, but they would never get back to us with these details, so we booked elsewhere." I found that very interesting as they never did get back to me either.
What a huge revenue loss there. I feel this hotel needs some work with there "Pre-Communication Department". Your missing out big here.

We arrive at hotel. We were greeted right way, and ushered to check-in. I felt this process was great upon check-in.
The hotel is beautiful, along with the grounds.
Here are some more "Pro's" about the hotel so I don't bore you with tiny details:
*Grounds were amazing. Hotel was very clean and most of the employees there were very friendly
*The back of the hotel (Pools and Beach fronts) are amazing. Best I've been to there.
*The food is fantastic. Not once did my wife or I get sick at all, or even have the feeling of an upset stomach, (Which is always a concern for me as I have a very weak stomach)
The food was well picked and very Americanized. I say this because I have stayed at some other hotels in Cancun that try more of a mexican food theme, and I left hungry most of the time.
*Very nice eating options.
*Breakfast was fantastic. Omelet stations were great, along with the food options. They really do a nice job in this department.
*Rooms were nicely designed, and the air stayed cool for us, which was great for us as we like it cold in our rooms.
*Great Location. 2 miles from the bars, clubs and close to some shopping as well.
*The shows they have at night are well worth watching. Very nicely done here. We loved them all and made it a point to watch them every night. These were at 8pm.

Cons for us: (In our opinions)
*Why do you not have fans or ceiling fans in the mail lobby. Especially around the bar?
you have such a beautiful lobby and bar areas, but it is so Muggy and Hot, that its almost unbearable. The doors were open, but you get no air draft there. I heard this often from other guests as well. This is a huge concern with most of your guest there. Just an FYI
*The bar in your lobby had the most un-attentive staff. The Bars outside were fantastic.
The bars inside seems like they had different agendas, and gave you the impression they didn't want you there.
*The front desk, (After Check-in) is not very helpful, in fact, were sometimes very impatient.
I see this a lot in my travels. Your teams need to realize that we are not from there....so silly questions about directions are a big concern to us, and important to us. Just my 2 cents worth.
If you weren't booking something, they didn't want you bothering them.
*Housekeeping - Very unorganized. No structure. We would go all day with no cleaning, and then they would knock on the door at 5pm. Made no sense to me. Then, when cleaned, they would still knock on the door. One day, our room was cleaned, and we decided to Nap, only to be awaken by Housekeeping again, asking us if we wanted a cleaning. Twice!
I finally started using the "Do not Disturb" door signs. That did fix the problem.

Would I stay here again, Maybe. I would stay here for the property and the food, not
the service.

**In General about Cancun (TIPS)
Do not take large bills. They are worthless there. Nobody will be able to break your large bills. I always take enough cash with me when we do travel, and took more $100 bills than usual. Nobody could cash these.
Taxis - Never have change. Each day trip was $10.00 a ride. At night, it goes to $20.00.
The shopping malls, couldn't break $100. I was lucky enough that I did have some other smaller bills. Also, if you do find someone to break $100, they will give you the rest in Pesos.
Just an FYI.
Also, if you have never been to a foreign country, and you feel like visiting these small shops for souvenirs, gifts, ect... Get ready. They will be all over you to the point of annoyance.
My wife literally had someone step in front of her blocking her from walking forward. I had to step in and take her hand and basically tell him to back off. She then wanted to leave, which we did. The Malls areas sell the same thing with way less pressure then these smaller shops by the clubs. Just a heads up, be prepared.

Also, the hotel will shuttle you for $56.00 to and from hotel to airport. I highly recommend this.

*We did use Dream Days Car service from the airport to the hotel, and they were EXCELLENT!

Hope this helps.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor... Was nice. Wasn't loud at all. Stayed in the middle.
11 Thank Serviceminded1
Alfonso J, Director General at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Serviceminded1,

Thank you very much for selecting Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your recent vacation and for sharing this detailed and honest review with us.

We are truly astonished to read about the lack of service you perceived with communication problems prior to arrival when trying to confirm your reservation and to set up a surprise for your wife’s birthday, as well as during your stay with the front desk associates and the staff from the lobby bar.

We are also very sorry to know that you felt the lobby bar area was not comfortable due to the heat and that the housekeeping services were not well organized.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the shortcomings you encountered and please know the issues you raised have been communicated to the corresponding departments for the appropriate follow up.

We are aware that we must continuously go through the proper training in order to improve in all our areas of opportunity and reinforce the high quality of service we are expected to provide.

We are pleased to read that despite these areas of opportunity you still very much enjoyed the beautiful facilities, comfortable suites, gorgeous pool and beach area, delicious dining, entertaining shows and great location.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and we sincerely hope you will allow us the privilege of hosting you again in the near future in order to provide you with the excellence in service you and all our valued guests deserve.