“Very trustworthy group”
Review of Mayan Aqua Dive - CLOSED

Mayan Aqua Dive
More attraction details
Owner description: Mayan Aqua Dive offers top service for Cancun dives, Dive in Cancun, Certified divers, Beginners divers, Dive sites Cancun, Diving in Cancun, wreck dive, caverns dive, cozumel dive, whale sharks and full padi courses. Check us out, small and personal only!
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I enjoyed a very nice couple of dives with Mayan Aqua Dive. I found them on TripAdvisor and really liked the fact that they were so trusted by the community. Karla (who responds to most emailed requests for info within an hour or two from her Blackberry) was helpful and informative. There can be special rates available if you pay cash (which also saves you money on the international credit card fees!) so be sure to ask Karla if that might be a possibility.

They have a little kiosk at one of the family-friendly resorts in the Cancun hotel zone. If you are staying at another hotel, they will have a taxi pick you up (free) to deliver you to the hotel. They have decent clean gear. Take the wetsuits they offer unless you really dive hot (temperature, not skill). Despite the water temp being in the 80s, I was a little chilly in a spring suit in February and was feeling sorry for the couple who opted to dive in their swimsuits, they looked extremely cold.

Karla, "Easy" (the boat captain - I think his full name is Ignacio), and our divemaster were very knowledgeable and friendly and very careful divers, taking safety stops and ensuring the group all felt comfortable at all times. I'm taking off one star for two things: first, I was uncomfortable with how much the animals and coral were getting handled by the employees. Second, when I first inquired I asked if there were any dives with no or low current, and was told that wasn't a problem, that they could find a low current area. I found myself in the highest current dives of my life. Our divemaster actually had to swim after to people and he had them hold onto his gear while he pulled himself hand over hand over the coral to get the group back together. I understand now that Cancun dives are higher current than some areas, and I would have dived regardless, but I wish that had been clear to me when I asked.

If I go back to Cancun, I will definitely come back and dive with Karla and the great folks at Mayan Aqua Dive!

Reviewed 15 February 2012

got my level 1 certification for scuba. karl great instructor, had a great time, staff very nice and accomodating.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

I have been diving in Cancun for 15 years. The last three years were with Mayan Aqua Dive. I made six dives with them on my vacation this year and the dives were great. We went to a different location every time. Ulises and Maurice were terriffic. We even got Carl to go with us once. The Taurus is a great boat and a nice size for entry and exiting the water. (Wow, and those other tiny boats a few of the other dive operators have are way too small.) Nice diving and I can't wait to go with them again next year.

Reviewed 2 February 2012

Ever wanted to scuba dive, but not sure you could do it? That was me last week. My daughter had been wanting to go for the last couple years, so through Thomas More we scheduled a day with the Mayan Aqua Dive Team. They were wonderful!! Karl was a great instructor and Ulysses was my "amigo" during the dive. He calmed my fears and never let go of my hand!! If diving is something you would like to try, these are the people to go with!!

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I dove 2 days this past week with Ulises from Mayan Aqua Dive. On Wednesday morning we dove Horseshoe Reef and Grampin Reef we swam with a hawksbill turtle and a loggerhead, Ulises found a flounder no larger than a quarter, a nurse shark that was about 9 ft long and numerous other sea creatures that I probably would not have found on my own. Since I will be here in Cancun for 2 weeks I planned to dive the C-58 wreck next week, but when I stopped at the dive shop on Thursday Karl told me that Friday would be ideal, great visibility and mild current. He was right on, we pulled up to the wreck (down 80 ft) and could see it clearly from the boat. We saw 9 eagle rays, with 7 of them swimming in formation. Simply put it was an amazing 2 days of diving. This is not your average cattle boat tour. The Taurus is a very stable boat, easy to dive from and easy to get back on. I highly recommend the crew at M.A.D. to anyone, no matter what your skill level, they will go out of their way to make sure you have a pleasant experience.