“First Time Scuba Diver”
Review of Mayan Aqua Dive - CLOSED

Mayan Aqua Dive
More attraction details
Owner description: Mayan Aqua Dive offers top service for Cancun dives, Dive in Cancun, Certified divers, Beginners divers, Dive sites Cancun, Diving in Cancun, wreck dive, caverns dive, cozumel dive, whale sharks and full padi courses. Check us out, small and personal only!
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Me, my brother, and my mom all went to Cancun while my dad was and a business trip. We decided to try out scuba diving while we were there. We were brought to a pool and worked on skills there for a couple hours. Then we went into a boat, where we did two dives that day. We were then able to go back to our resort and rest. We did two more dives the next morning. We came out as full Pati scuba divers. The staff was very nice and helpful throughout the dives. It was the most fun I've had in years.

2  Thank Andrew M

Reviewed 17 May 2012

In April 2012 my 10 year old son and I dove with Mayan Aqua Dive and had a great experience.

Ulises and the crew were very knowledgeable and professional. Everything ran on time and we saw some beautiful reefs.

My son and I look forward to diving with the M.A.D. crew next year.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Ulysses and team were great. Great dive sites and excellent professionalism. We had a couple of divers that did not fair so well on the boat ride, Ulysses worked with them and did what he could to make it enjoyable for them.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

I chose Mayan Aqua Divers to do my first Carribean Ocean salt water dive. I am a newly certified diver-certified in Northern New York cold fresh water. I was anxious to dive in aqua salt water, from a boat. Both Karla and Ulises were wonderful. Karla put together a group of divers with similar experience and both morning dives were at the reef off of Isla Mujeres in about 35-40 feet of water. Ulises gave us a quick refresher course on our 30 minute boat ride there and eased us one by one into the water and down to depth. Once down, and all equlized, we saw the underwater museum, coral reefs, fish, and even a sleeping nurse shark. The dive boat was great. The entire staff was very helpful. If you want a small group dive at any level I highly recommend the Mayan Aqua Divers.

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I enjoyed a very nice couple of dives with Mayan Aqua Dive. I found them on TripAdvisor and really liked the fact that they were so trusted by the community. Karla (who responds to most emailed requests for info within an hour or two from her Blackberry) was helpful and informative. There can be special rates available if you pay cash (which also saves you money on the international credit card fees!) so be sure to ask Karla if that might be a possibility.

They have a little kiosk at one of the family-friendly resorts in the Cancun hotel zone. If you are staying at another hotel, they will have a taxi pick you up (free) to deliver you to the hotel. They have decent clean gear. Take the wetsuits they offer unless you really dive hot (temperature, not skill). Despite the water temp being in the 80s, I was a little chilly in a spring suit in February and was feeling sorry for the couple who opted to dive in their swimsuits, they looked extremely cold.

Karla, "Easy" (the boat captain - I think his full name is Ignacio), and our divemaster were very knowledgeable and friendly and very careful divers, taking safety stops and ensuring the group all felt comfortable at all times. I'm taking off one star for two things: first, I was uncomfortable with how much the animals and coral were getting handled by the employees. Second, when I first inquired I asked if there were any dives with no or low current, and was told that wasn't a problem, that they could find a low current area. I found myself in the highest current dives of my life. Our divemaster actually had to swim after to people and he had them hold onto his gear while he pulled himself hand over hand over the coral to get the group back together. I understand now that Cancun dives are higher current than some areas, and I would have dived regardless, but I wish that had been clear to me when I asked.

If I go back to Cancun, I will definitely come back and dive with Karla and the great folks at Mayan Aqua Dive!