“Depends on what you're looking for...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Oasis Palm

Grand Oasis Palm
Ranked #50 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Southwest Virginia,US
“Depends on what you're looking for...”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here on our recent vacation to Cancun (March 7-13, 2012).
Overall experience: The hotel facility itself is beautiful. The staff members are ALWAYS working, cleaning, etc. I never saw an employee slacking on their job. Most staff were helpful and friendly (the only barrier here is language...I speak passable Spanish and can usually at least get my point across, but had some difficulty where language is concerned). We paid for all-inclusive and received a black wristband upon arrival.

Food: We are not picky or refined people at all...and we had a very difficult time finding something decent to eat. The bread at all the restaurants was good, and always available. The fruit looked delicious, and was plentiful...I did not partake due to concerns over possible stomach issues with locally grown produce. Meats were almost always fried. No real vegetables to be found (unless you'd include fries/hash browns as vegetables). Nothing seemed to go together as a meal at all-sort of a hodge-podge, so to speak. The restaurant staff gladly accomodate requests for bottled water.

Beach area: Our all-inclusive package was, according to the hotel's website, to include non-motorized watersports at the sister properties. We had several rounds about this with Grand Oasis Palm's front desk personnel, as well as Concierge Desk personnel. Upon arriving at the beach our first day there, we found sea weed completely covering the ocean floor. To the point the employees had to rake a path for people to walk down (about 2 feet wide...you had to wait for others to go through the path before proceeding). There was not a single place where you'd want to rest your feet on the ground. At the furthest point out into the allowed swimming area, the water was less than 3 feet deep. No exaggeration there. I went specifically for the "beautiful water", and am a swimmer...needless to say, I was not happy about this at all. Chairs were all taken by about 9 AM.

Pools: I only used the large "Quiet" pool, which was very nice and serene. Very clean, well-kept. Nice chairs to lounge on (padded), and even cabanas for shade. We were in Cancun during the typical Spring Break season, so we stayed away from the other pool which was more for drinking games, limbo, etc. (the younger crowd, or young at heart).

Gift Shop: as usual, VERY expensive. Not very well stocked. Take whatever you think you will possibly need while in Cancun.

Our room: can't complain about anything here. Lovely. Well stocked, fridge was kept full (but be careful to observe the complimentary items vs. extra charge items). Room was always clean. Bed slept comfortably. Bathroom was very nice, double vanity. The hallways ARE loud, as some of the other reviews said. We are light sleepers, and were able to sleep through it.

After attempting to be patient with the beach situation, I grew frustrated and finally approached the front desk to inquire about visiting the sister property, where at least I could swim. I was promptly told "no..it's Spring Break...we cannot honor that". However, I was not on Spring Break..I was on a regular vacation, for which I'd saved and planned for a long time. I found it very dishonest and misleading that they offered the sister properties as a part of the all-inclusive package, but failed to back that up. I spoke with the front desk, the Concierge desk (to include a manager/supervisor), they all refused to comply with their own policy. I finally found assistance with the Olympus Tours representative who works on resort (not for the resort). He said all we had to do was pay for the public bus to the sister property, show our wristbands when we arrived, and go to the beach area. The sister property (Oasis Sens) was not happy about our being there, but allowed it. As a visitor at the sister property, you cannot eat or drink anything unless you pay for it upfront.

Overall, it was not a good experience. The whole beach issue, the fact that the hotel did not honor its own policies, and the food situation really brought the whole thing down.I would not advise you to stay here, unless you don't care about the beach at all.

Room Tip: Stay at the Grand Oasis...not the regular Oasis. The Grand Oasis is further away from the loud pool.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
15 Thank BJamZ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 25 April 2012

This was a very beautiful resort! We actually started at another resort and we were not happy with it and moved too this resort. We were so happy. The beach was spacious and soft. The pool was large and there was plenty of room so you did not ever feel like it was crowed. The food was excellent!!! We are very picky with food myself, my husband and my 3 children. We have had resort food that was either blah or just plain bad, not Grand Oasis Palm, it was delicouse!!! Best food we have ever had at a resort by far!!!So much to choose from and the kids could get ice cream, popcorn, hot dogs, hamburgers, and french fries whenever they wanted. The kids loved that. They always had plenty they could choose from and were always happy with the different foods.
There was a kids club that we never used, but I heard from other that it was great and the kids loved it.
We did have the internet the whole time and it always worked and we had no problems with losing in anywhere at the resort whether it be our room, the pool or beach.
We really enjoyed ourselves and would totally recommend this resort to anyone, with or without children, younger or older. There is so much to choose from and do for everyone.
Thank you for such a wonderful vacation!!!!!!!

Room Tip: The view from all the rooms is breathtaking. If I had to give a tip, get a lower floor so you dont...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank MrsTJB
Berlin, Maryland
Reviewed 20 April 2012

My trip to Grand Oasis Palm with my two best girlfriends started with a warm, friendly greeting and ended with a delicious meal at the Beach Club on our last night. If you are seeking a friendly, laid-back hotel with great food, pretty ocean views, and a true Mexican vibe than you wil find what you are looking for at the Grand Oasis Palm.

Staff--I cannot say enough about the friendly front desk, who whisked our suitcases away, checked us in quickly, and offered us coconut water as we waited briefly at the desk for our room keys and towel cards. The bartenders are friendly, especially Julio and Alfredo at the upstairs bar outside by the pool. The waiters smile and welcome you to the dining rooms. There were a few staff members who seemed too busy to help, but these were so far and few between that I barely noticed. I remember the staff at this hotel fondly.

Food- I was not expecting great food on this trip. I tend to think that at all-inclusives, the food all starts to taste the same. However, I was pleasantly surprised after a few days here. The breakfast buffets are simply mouth watering. Fried plantains, chorizo and scrambled eggs, freshly made fluffy waffles, french toast, spreads of fresh fruit, omelette and quesadilla stations...every morning was a true treat. The a la carte restaurants varied, with La Cocao being the least favorite and the Beach Club being a not-to-be missed dining experience. At the Beach Club, you sit outside on a beach front patio. The menu is set, and the waiter will simply ask if you want fish, steak, or chicken. After a fresh salad, we received three juicy ribeyes, grilled veggies and potatoes. The ribeye was delicious, and so was the fresh mango martini that the waiter, Daniel, suggested. It was the perfect way to end a wonderful vacation.

Grounds--You will not find trash anywhere, as staff are constantly sweeping and cleaning. The resort is a little small, even including the Oasis Palm next door, which is basically part of the Grand and spreads out a bit more. The ocean is a lagoon, but it is blue and clean except for natural seaweed that gathers along the shore. There is no trash in the water, and the sand is clean. Rooms do not have balconies, but the windows open up to an expansive view of the pool, music and the blue sea.

Entertainment--There was not much in the form of entertaiment, but if you do stay on grounds, there is a bar called the Cantina on the Oasis side. The Cantina is a perfect replica of a Mexican cantina, complete with shelves of tequila and peanuts on the floor. You may even be serenaded. For real dancing and night life, head into downtown Cancun.

Excursions--You can walk to an amazing excurision just a few minutes away at the port. For 70 dollars a person, you can board the Dancer, a tri level catamaran, from 10-5pm. The Dancer takes you snorkeling, to Mayan ruins, and shopping on Isla Mujeres. They serve a delicious, authentic lunch and open bar the whole trip. On the way back to Cancun, there is a tequila party with dancing, music, free-flowing drinks, etc. You do not have to be a drinker to enjoy this; there were kids and families having a blast. The staff was AMAZING.

Suggestions--Bring many one dollar bills for bus rides to the sister properties which are bigger but lack the character of Grand Palm. Also, a tip here and there goes a long way and brings a big smile to the friendly, warm staff. I wish I had more small bills on my trip for this very reason.

Overall-Visit the Grand Oasis Palm for a resort that has more character than the typical all-inclusive. Relax and enjoy the hospitality, amazing food, and true feeling of Mexico.

Room Tip: Choose a room on floor 4 or lower as the elevators tend to be full or one may be not working.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank wavechasers_11
Toronto
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Enjoyed my stay and culture. Abobe average food, and excellent beach and interesting activities mixture. Guests can relax, shop, partake in excursions and party. Top notch housekeeping, firont desk, guest serviles and security, spanish wines were great. I will return again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank VanRessen
College Park, Maryland
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My family and I travel at least 3 times a year for Sun and Fun - This is our 3 trip to the Grand Oasis Palm - we have also stayed at Oasis Viva and Oasis Cancun. It is a Great location - Good Food and very exceptional people. The wait and bar staff go out of their way to make sure you are happy. The maintenance/cleaning staff are always doing something from morning to late at night and the maid service was what you would expect from a $500 a night resort. The rooms are a do need a little sound-proofing, but hey it was springbreak. This trip we went with 4 other couples - there was something for everyone to do and no one felt left out. Our only complain was we had 9 people in our group and more than once when we tried to sit together we were met with it was not possible, when all they had to do was push 2 tables together awhole 3 feet (all times the restaurant were more than half empty).
Would have no problem going back

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank barrett913
Bayport, New York
Reviewed 11 April 2012

First off, if I am fortunate enough to be going to Cancun with my family during peak travel time, I am going to go in with a positive attitude and try my best to see everything in a good light. I have been to Mexico 7 times, Barbados, Jamaica, Bahamas, Dominican Republic 2x, and Puerto Rico. Therefore, I have many other places to compare Grand Oasis Palm to.
That being said, there are certain expectations that I feel a 3.5 star resort should have which this one did not.
1) Working Elevators- There was 1 bank of 2 tiny elevators for the entire hotel. Many times you would wait 5+ minutes to catch the elevator; and it was so small that more than 4 people at a time, would be painful. Yes, stairs are an option, but not with a 2 year old in a stroller heading to the 5th floor. Many times, the elevators would be out of service. My husband also felt that staff had some kind of bypass key because sometimes it would skip over our floor entirely.
2)A Pool Area Without a Death Trap- As you will see in my picture, there was this opening in the pool area to an underground basement type of thingy. Hard to explain. But there were these boards that they would invert to a triangular shape, and on either side of the boards, there was a 3 foot opening where you could fall about 20 feet to your death. I was petrified that my daughter would somehow be curious about the boards and plunge downward. Parents, please exercise the utmost caution around the pool. I really do not understand why there would not be cones around this area, or perhaps, have it roped off. It is in the direct path from the pool to the beach and EXTREMELY UNSAFE. I wanted to tell the people at the front desk, Billy and Oscar, but upon checkout, they didn't even ask us how our stay was, and really seemed to care less about their jobs. I hope their manager is reading this! Anytime there was a problem, they would direct us to the concierge who was never there. It was like they were trying to deflect to other people.
3)- Soundproofing so you cannot hear every little noise in the hallway- We were awoken several times the first night to springbreakers returning from partying at 1AM, 2AM, 3AM and 4AM. For some reason, it is like the hallways amplify every little noise!
4)Lights in the hallway- They don't turn them on. So if your eyesight is poor, good luck getting into your room.
5) Free lockbox- Why would they charge you $19 a day? Absurd!
That being said, I did really like some aspects of this hotel.
1- Food- Many choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The buffets had tons of options for many tastes, and you won't go hungry. For lunch we tried the Beach House, Serapo buffet, and the pizza place. All were very yummy. For dinner we did the steak buffet twice, the Japanese and the Beach House. Steak buffet had excellent cuts of meat, Japanese had good sushi and yummy Asian entrees and Beach House had great grilled food. The hamburger, hot dog, ice cream and popcorn carts around the pool was an added bonus. Food was a major plus, and that says a lot coming from NY. Waiters worked very hard and all were friendly.
2- Loungers- Never did we have to fight for a chair, whether it be the pool or beach. We did reserve chairs at 7AM. However, we switched places a lot during the day and never had a problem finding a seat.
3- Beach and Pool- Both were great for our 2 year old (except the death trap mentioned above). There was a shallow end of pool, and the beach was very calm too.
4- Cleanliness- Someone was always mopping, washing windows, etc. We didn't have an issue with housekeeping who came every day.

Room Tip: Comfy beds but if you are a light sleeper, you will hear everything from the hallway!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank ny7chic
Alberta
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My 19 yr old daughter and I took our first trip together to Mexico. We found that the hotel was nothing like the photos and descriptions in the travel mags. The rooms were clean but there was absoloutely NO soundproofing. we could hear people talking in the hallway all night long. The beach area was very disappointing - it was weedy and dirty. we spent more time in the pool than on the beach. The buffet was average, usually our choice for breakfast. A la carte restaurants, on the other hand, were great. Service, food quality, etc was top notch.
On the whole, we found the resort dull. No evening entertainment other than music around the pools. We spent most of our time elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family