“Find another Hotel”

Grand Oasis Palm
Ranked #50 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
“Find another Hotel”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

OK, I will start by saying the pros of this hotel are just to be expected, pretty views of the ocean, clean beach and nice landscape but these things are expected. The wait staff at the restaurants were very friendly and eager to please. We especially liked our waiter "Ever" and the buffet on the Grand side. He made my son happy. Thank you Ever.

So much to write I don't know where to start. The Grand side of the hotel is supposed to be the "VIP" version of the Oasis Palm which is right next door. Pretty much attached. My husband and I went with our 5 yo son and spent more time on the Oasis Palm side as it was a bit more lively. Activites- gym with hardly any machines (1 tredmill, 1 elliptical, 1 bike and some free weightws, a smith machine and thats pretty much it. Water aerobics, yoga one day, a volleyball net but no one p[layed, kids club that wouldn't bring the kids into the pool or beach without 7 kids in the group so your kid may be inside all day. The waterslides for the kids are only for the kids in the kids club which was a huge disappointment to my son. They did show a movie each night which was played half english/half spanish. Most guests were actually Mexican. Elevators extremely small and crowded and usually had to wait for them. Towels were a huge issue. No washclothes, mats, hand towels and even bath towels one day. There was no ryhme or reason to the towel situation. And while it is usually customary that the towels on the floor are to be swapped out, they swapped out everything, but didn't replace everything. No coffee maker in the room, pay for safe and mini fridge (they never told us that), room service, and wifi (which was only good on 1 device). Noisy hallways for sure. Extreme echos. The peacock had us up at 6:30 or 7 each morning which was good because we had to wake up to go to the consierge at 7am or 9am to make dinner reservations each day. We tipped everyone and really got jack in return. Sushi had way too much rice. Deserts were yuck! Top shelf liquor only given to us at the Grand side. Room was extremely humid and wet. They gave us a card each for pool towels. Once you trade that card in for towels you will not get it back and you must trade wet towels for dry towels and constantly carry a towel around with you. What a pain. We went on a horrible excursion to Isla Mujeras/snorkling with Aqua World!! Skip it. Sucked. Total waste of money but we did see a gorgeous nature reserve on Isla Mujeres calle El Garaffon. Try to get a trip there. Amazingly gorgeous and shore snorkling.
No activities other than what I listed so we did get a bit bored. We rented a Jet Ski for $50 half hour one day then went back to being bored.
Oh and watch out for the time-share pitch. They attack you on the first day so when they ask if it's your first day, say no! (Although after this review I hope you don't even spend your hard earned money at this resort.)

The spa had a bunch of hot tubs that didn't even have any water in them.

And the 888 number is never answered. We have been calling for 3 days to see if anyone found our lost camera and no answer. (After this review I can really kiss that camera goodbye)

Room Tip: Don't book this hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jessicamichel
Atención C, PR at Grand Oasis Palm, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Jessica:

We are truly sorry you had an unpleasant experience during your vacations. We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments; this helps us to provide better services in the future.
Furthermore, we would like to let you know we are very devoted to our guests, and the staff is committed to understand, help and satisfy all of your needs. Thank you for letting us know the inconveniences you had so we can enforce and improve the service, as your comfort and satisfaction is really important to us.
We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for any setbacks you experienced and hopefully you can give us another opportunity to welcome you again so we can enhance your perception of our hotel.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Most of us live on tight budgets, but going to another resort is worth the few hundred bucks.

First off, the staff was great. Zuemy at Aires del Norte and Hervin our beach bartender were wonderful. Rooms were decent and housekeeping did a good job, even though they are stingy with towels. Aires del Norte (the steakhouse) was the best of all the restaurants. I also had a wonderful massage by Yari in the spa....I highly recommend her.

Now, here is where the resort loses stars....

You pay extra for everything. Internet is $30 for 5 days PER device. Mini bar is only free for certain things. Gatorade, Red Bull, and snacks are extra. Room service includes a $15 service charge. Safe is $8/day. Who charges for a safe?? Plus, you have to carry that key everywhere. God forbid you lose the key, the hotel key, or don't return beach towels. Guess what? You'll have to pay a fee.

Elevators are a pain. They are tiny and pretty unbearable with the humidity. Hitting the elevator button and having the doors open immediately is like winning the lottery.

Food...oh boy. At first I liked the food, but things changed quickly. My friend got so sick one night and was in the bathroom vomiting and miserable. I thought I escaped, but got sick the very last night, which made for a fun flight home. The food is the same regardless of the restaurant. You can expect fajitas, flank steak, and flan. Ugh...just typing those words is making my stomach churn. I didn't bother trying sushi which is an outdoor bar....ummm no thanks.

Noise...the halls echo like crazy. We woke up one night to a woman screaming and crying to the point that we had to call security. They responded quickly, but it began to turn into a scuffle w/two men. If you don't wake up from screaming people, then you will wake up to the peacock squawking in the early morning. Oh, and let's not forget the rowdy pirate ship that goes by the resort every night and the empty nightclub cranking the bass.

Location...this hotel is not in the heart of the Hotel Zone. Check your map carefully. It is at the edge of a lagoon/inlet. To the left of the beach is where all of the pirate ships are docked. I was swimming in the ocean one day and I looked over and noticed there is a highway overpass with cars whizzing by. Not what I want to see when relaxing in the Caribbean.

I gave this place 3 stars because not everything is the hotel's fault. It is hard to call this place a "resort". The Oasis side is rowdier and we were told it is mostly for "Mexicans" and not that nice. Even so, they had a bigger pool that the Palm side. Our pool was not that big and felt like an oversized kiddie pool.

I will never stay in a place like this again. If I'm going to fly all the way to Cancun, then I will pay a few extra bucks in order to feel like I'm enjoying a resort, not some neighborhood apartment complex.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank luv2travel821
Dear Guest:

Dear Guest,

We are very sorry that we haven't met your expectations, we would like to sincerely apologize and inform you that all your comments and opinions are considered in order to improve our service.
We are glad we had the opportunity to solve all the inconveniences you encountered during your stay, this way we were able to enhance your experience and change your perception of our service.
We hope to welcome you again on your next vacation.

Kind regards
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We had an awesome time at Grand Oasis Palm! Very clean, great food, great people! The staff was awesome, especially Marco (our waiter at the beach), and Francisco Madera and Gustavo at the steak house!

Dear Meghan:

We are pleased to greet you and at the same time thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit to Cancun. We would also like to express our appreciation for the flattering words we received from your stay with us.
We are glad you liked and enjoyed our entertainment and our specialized service. Our staff work really hard to make every single one of our guests feel at home and make sure they have an amazing experience.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you once again in the future.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My Sister and I came for a week in March. We had a great time! There were a few areas that could use improvement like, pretty long wait at elevators, limited times for snack vendors/bars, housekeeping was mediocre,...little things like that but, The ala carte food was great, we had no problems getting reservations as I had expected from reading reviews before we came. The staff were all friendly. This was our 1st time in Cancun so we depended heavily on the concierges to give us good suggestions. They were all so helpful!! I don't like to sigle out favorites because they all worked so hard but, we both just fell in love with Ari (Hope I am spelling this correctly). He just seemed so genuine in helping us and wanting us to have the best time possible. I don't know that we would stay here again or try somewhere else in Cancun but wherever we go next, I sure hope someone of Ari's character and kindness is there to help us!!

Room Tip: Stay as close to ground level as you can so you're not waiting so long on elevators. Speak up fo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 253red
Dear Guest:

It is a great pleasure to receive feedback on our service and this motivates us to keep improving and so ensure a high quality service. We look forward to welcome you again in our hotel where we welcome you with open arms and the satisfaction of seeing you again.
Again, we appreciate your trust in us. We are at your service.

Best regards.
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Hotel was nice and clean. Food was pretty good. I would definitely recoment this hotel to others. You get what you pay for and in our case we didn't want to spend a lot of money, but wanted a nice family vacation and that is exactly what we got!!

I do want to mention that the staff at the Grand Oasis Palm is excellent, especially Marco Antonio Hernandez, one of our waiters at the beach! he is absolutely the best! Also want to mention the staff at the steak house restourant, Francisco Madera and Gustavo.

Dorothy B

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Dorothy:

We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent visit to Cancun.
We are glad you liked and enjoyed our facilities, the great variety of restaurants, as well as the activities and the entertainment.

It was a pleasure to have you and your family as guests, we hope to see you again very soon.
ontario
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I will try to be fair in this review, Check in took a very long time as they were trying to get 4 rooms together on the same floor which I appreciated (most resorts don't even try) we were a group of 10. the room was nice and clean two doubles instead of a king but it was fine, anytime we had an issue with the room someone was there within 5 minutes (water was shut off upon arrival and a light burnt out in the tub area) We left a note for the maid with $5 each day with what we wanted in our fridge and we got it. One day I forgot to leave $ and a note and they didn't clean the room at all they just took all the snacks out of the fridge and left me a bill for the Gatorade that I drank. We ate at the buffet, the gourmet (Careys) and the steak house. Careys was very good but I wasn't fond of the steak house (I ate half my chicken and then realized it wasn't cooked)
We spent most of our time at the beach on the Oasis side near the pool and the bars and enjoyed it. The disco was pretty quiet most of the time except Karaoke night and that was fun to watch then they had good dancing music. The tequila bar made the best drinks, didn't matter what kind they were all the best in the resort and we spent a lot of time in there as well, it was air conditioned and had live music and big comfy couches with not a lot of people in there.
I did get very sick while I was here never ate or drank for the last 3 days of my vacation (still recovering after 2 weeks) I would recommend taking dukoral before you go...my doctor says it was bacterial and likely something I ate that was different, in hindsight I could see many things causing this, seeds for the salad probably don't get replaced often and they handled hashbrowns and other cooked items with bare hands. That being said even though I was sick for the last three days I had a great time there with my husband and friends the first 3 days. Beach was beautiful!!

Room Tip: rooms starting with a 2 (ie 2633) is the 6th floor with only one side of the hall having rooms would...
1 Thank yelsel71
Dear Yelsel:

Let us thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. Such opinions helps us know our weaknesses in order to improve in the future. We regret the inconvenience occurred during your stay. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel to enhance your perception.

We reiterate our thanks.

Best regards.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The Grand Oasis Palm was an amazing place! The customer service was always WONDERFUL. The staff really went out of their way to make my boyfriend and I comfortable during our stay. From check-in to check-out, everyone was awesome! Our room was great quality as well. We had a balcony on the 9th floor, which had a nice view of the lagoon. Our air conditioning didn't work the first night, but they switched us rooms as soon as they found out.

The pool was very nice on the Grand side. It was very quiet and relaxing. On the other side, there were constantly activities and fun going on. The beach was nice as well. Very clean and well kept. The Caribbean was calm, unlike other places in the resort area. You could see different fish swimming along with you! We ate at several of the restaurants during our stay. The buffets were great for a quick meal. We also ate at Careyes and had the best dinner ever! La Bamba also had great seafood.

We had a wonderful stay and can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We had a balcony room, facing the lagoon, on the 9th floor. It was absolutely breathtaking!
Dear Lauren:

We are pleased to greet you at the same time thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit to Cancun. Likewise express our appreciation for the flattering words we received from your stay with us.
We are delighted to have met your expectations, It is a pleasure to serve you and make your stay with us an unforgettable experience.

Hope to see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
Great Parnassus Family Resort
Royal Solaris Cancun
Royal Solaris Cancun
#42 of 175 in Cancun

Been to Grand Oasis Palm? Share your experiences!