Four years ago I stayed at this beautiful hacienda and always wanted to return, so last week I got the opportunity. It's one of the loveliest places I have stayed anywhere. Pretty historic cottages, lush gardens, excellent staff, and a perfect location to explore the ruins at Chichen Itza. We had been eating Yucatecan food all week -- everything delicious -- but wanted something different on our last night so opted for the chef's special lasagna. What a surprise! It may well be the best I have eaten anywhere -- including in Italy.
This time we had an extra rewarding experience by making a small donation to the nutrition program the hacienda supports in the local area for school children and had the opportunity to visit the school. The children and their principal were all wonderful and inviting and I wished we could have done more for these lovely kids. If you stay at Hacienda Chichen, be sure to check out the volunteer program on their website. A few pesos go a long way and this kind of experience can add so much to a visit.
Again, I took a bird walk early in the morning with Bibiano Uh Tun who is a great guide. We saw the pygmy owl this time, along with flycatchers, tanagers, vultures and many other birds. On my last visit I saw my first and only painted bunting. It's worth getting up early and getting out when the birds are feeding and singing.
Also visit the organic gardens behind the hacienda and see where the food comes from. There's a lot to do here with the beautiful pool, the ruins, Ik Kil Cenote and other cenotes within a few minutes drive. And the hacienda is the best place to stay to visit the ruins as you can get into Chichen Itza early in the morning before the tour buses arrive and get those wonderful shots minus the crowds that appear after 10 am.
And what a great place to sleep! Quiet, dark, peaceful. At the break of dawn the birds start singing. I just had to get up and open the windows to listen.
The spa is in a lovely setting. I didn't have time for a treatment this time around, but last time I had the chocolate (Kakaw - Maya coco bliss treatment). Delicious!
The only negative? I didn't want to leave! This is a place I could easily stay a week and just relax, read, and take walks. It's a very special experience and would be a great honeymoon spot.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An eco-friendly boutique hotel, the Hacienda Chichen is committed to sustainable tourism and is devoted to Mayan culture and local community welfare. The resort consciously promotes an eco friendly environment rooted in Mayan tradition, which presents guests with plenty of romantic charm. An ambiance of 'home away from home' welcomes the Hacienda Chichen guests. The property's close proximity to the adjourning Chichen Itza ruins is a major plus for those travelers wishing to avoid the crowds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hacienda Chichen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda Chichen & Yaxkin Hotel Chichen Itza
- Hacienda Chichen And Yaxkin Spa
- Hotel Hacienda Chichen Yaxkin