I want to start the review off by saying how amazed I am with the service at Mayaland. I have stayed here before, and am returning- primarily because of the reservationist that booked me the last few times.
Yes, you read that right... the RESERVATIONIST is a main reason why I am returning.
Let me explain:
I have been to this area 6 times. Six vacations in the Yucatan. This will be my seventh... and I have stayed at many different places. The reservations are always a nightmare to make... and I arrive PRAYING that everything will be in order. Gianni at Mayaland has always taken care of everything for me, and I know that my reservation will be in order, even transportation when I need it, and that I am getting the best possible deal. Email Gianni, and you will know that you are taken care of. email@example.com
Onto the hotel itself...
Listen... you are in the Yucatan. There will be bugs... they will sometimes find there way into your nice, climate controlled room... you will have to kill the occasional bug and wear bug spray- you need to let that go. Ever see a tailless mexican whip scorpion? yeah- harry potter didn't make that up. buck up people.
Remember, you are a short walk from one of the 7 wonders of the world and you are going to pay accordingly. In life, you generally do get what you pay for, and with this property, part of what you are paying for is the proximity to an amazing world treasure. Nothing is cheap here...not the food (I mean, where else are you going to eat... there is no TGIFridays around the corner)... not the rooms (you are almost in the SHADOW OF CHICHEN ITZA) and not the transportation there (what, are you going to walk or take a collectivo from cancun?)
nothing in this area is cheap, but considering everything that you get in return, it is worth it. i have stayed in the nearby hacienda chichen, which is lovely- but even MORE pricey, and have decided that mayaland is truly the place to be... bigger, more room options... better availability during high season.
service was very very good, reception was amazing, the guy driving the little trolley was even fun... the cleaning crew was equally friendly and seemed like they too were annoyed by the ever present mosquitos in the bathrooms.
so, why am i not giving it 5 stars? the restaurant. seriously, I am sure that it is more difficult than i can imagine to provide truly fresh, good food here... but lets talk about the over-salting of everything. literally everything (even the side of RICE) was salted to the point that neither me nor my partner wanted to eat it... but we HAD to. (it really was late and there seriously is no TGIFridays).
all in all, a very good place to stay- made excellent considering where you are- made even more excellent by Gianni and her attention to detail in reservations.
I will put up some pictures when i return from this round…
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- World-Class resort in a unique tropical setting inside the Chichen Itza Arqueological Park. SPA. One of the 100 hotels on National Geographic "The Stay List" 2009 and again in one of the "133 Hotels we love, December 2011. Conde Nast Reader's One of the 100 Top Hotels in the World 2003. Conde Nast Gold List 2004. The most awarded resort in Yucatan. A member of the Rain Forest Alliance. 100% Mayan staff. Over 100 acres of unique tropical gardens. Award winning restaurants serving Mayan, Yucatecan, Mexican and International delicacies. Specialty stores. The Choco Story Museum store. we are less than a 2 hour drive from Cancun International Airport. Even less from the Merida Airport. We have special transportation pricing and arrangements. please contact us for details. We have a money back guarantee that our Resort, rooms, services and facilities are the very best in all of central Yucatan (Including Valladolid, Izamal and all other villages). Please Call us for more information on transportation, tours and activities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel & Bungalows Mayaland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel And Bungalows Mayaland
- Mayaland Hotel Chichén Itzá
- Hotel Mayaland