This hotel I was almost ready to give 5 stars, only a few small things changed my mind and I really wanted to give it 4.5 stars.
This is a hotel in the best location you can get for Chichen Itza - it's a 30 second walk to get there and you can beat the crowds by getting up early and going straight to the ruins.
All the staff were very friendly but the front desk staff were only helpful when I started to get forceful with them. For all people travelling there to see Chichen Itza first thing in the morning who do not bring cash with them - you can NOT use credit card to get into the ruins AND the ATM at the hotel is LOCKED until 9am. This makes no sense to me, particularly if you have planned your day and then have to wait around for it to open. BUT to the front desk guy's credit, he tracked down a security guard who temporarily opened the door so we could use the ATM. My concern is that other travellers will face the same dilemma - an ATM in an OPEN section of the hotel would seem to make more sense - I hope management will take on board this suggestion for future guests.
The rooms are nice - i don't agree with other previous reviews saying they weren't nice enough - considering the star rating and the price they are really great. In fact, if the bedding was upgraded (it looks very old and worn), I think the hotel could increase their star rating as the bathrooms are already fantastic and the facilities are good too.
The food isn't overly cheap, but not overly expensive either, so perfectly fine for the location. The food is very nice and I recommend eating all meals there. The ambiance is lovely.
There is no lift, BUT the staff are more than happy to help your baggage up the stairs!
We hired a car and drove down from Cancun - it's a good option but anyone doing this be warned of the $25 toll plus another $5 or so BOTH there and back on the road.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- World-Class resort in a unique tropical setting inside the Chichen Itza Arqueological Park. SPA. One of the 100 hotels on National Geographic "The Stay List" 2009 and again in one of the "133 Hotels we love, December 2011. Conde Nast Reader's One of the 100 Top Hotels in the World 2003. Conde Nast Gold List 2004. The most awarded resort in Yucatan. A member of the Rain Forest Alliance. 100% Mayan staff. Over 100 acres of unique tropical gardens. Award winning restaurants serving Mayan, Yucatecan, Mexican and International delicacies. Specialty stores. The Choco Story Museum store. we are less than a 2 hour drive from Cancun International Airport. Even less from the Merida Airport. We have special transportation pricing and arrangements. please contact us for details. We have a money back guarantee that our Resort, rooms, services and facilities are the very best in all of central Yucatan (Including Valladolid, Izamal and all other villages). Please Call us for more information on transportation, tours and activities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your Hotel & Bungalows Mayaland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel And Bungalows Mayaland
- Mayaland Hotel Chichén Itzá
- Hotel Mayaland