“Amazing!!! Had the best time ... Can't wait to go back”
Review of Opal's Dream

Opal's Dream
More attraction details
Owner description: In Cozumel Mexico.Opal's Dream Dive Shop. We are still the same small personal shop with a old school feel. Only the name has changed. We use small, fast boats and have great prices! We've changed our location to downtown 95 Av. Between 4th & 6th north. Remember, it's Opals Dream Dive Shop. We offer a nice family feeling and add a lot of fun to your diving vacation!!!!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Brooklyn, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing!!! Had the best time ... Can't wait to go back”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Just got home from an amazing time fishing and snorkeling with opals dream shop. The staff felt like family when we left. Can't wait to go back! If you visit Cozumel ... Book a trip with opals ... It's a must !!!

Visited March 2014

Snohomish, Washington
“Opal's makes coz visit great”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We just returned from a great trip to Cozumel and Tulum. We picked Opal's based on great reviews and good prices. I am so glad we did. My first two days were with Julio to get open water certified. I had done the online PADI course in advance to speed up the process Julio was fantastic. He took me to a beach the first day to learn skills in confined water. His communication and explanation above the water was great, and underwater was unbelievable. He has a true gift for being a calm, clear instructor who can give you the direction you need as you learn. I can't imagine having a better instructor. The second day we went out on the boat to finish the instruction. I met 3 other very experienced divers who had been returning to Opal's for years, and who were both helpful and excited to see me through certification. Once in the water, Julio and I separated from the other divers and Julio took me through the steps, again, being a true master of underwater communication. Between skills he showed me the wonders of the reef off Cozumel... it was a good technique to clear the mind. We went back to the shop, I took the test, and finished the certification requirements. Thanks Julio!!

The next day, at the encouragement of my new dive friends and family, I went back out for a couple of dives just for fun. My daughter and I were treated to the good humor and incredibly patient characters of Eddie (DM) and Orlando (captain). They have a way of making you feel like long-time friends over the course of a day. They were warm, fun, and competent. This day, I paid a bit more attention to Eddie's process... he was extremely careful and deliberate as he set up the gear, tested the valves for air leaks, and then went in first to confirm the current was consistent with our dive plan. He knew I was freshly certified and paid special attention to ensure my safety and help me manage buoyancy - I still needed the help. We descended into huge, spectacular reefs with swim-throughs. As a noob, I was obsessed with keeping my hands quiet and as a result kicked up sand through the first swim through - a complete novice move... but my new friends and daughter were unbelievably understanding. This and the next dive with my daughter were the highlights of the trip. The reefs, fish and warm water were fantastic, as was the time in the boat. We were sad to leave Eddie and Orlando behind... they had made us feel so welcome.

I definitely recommend Opal's for new or experienced divers (based on what they told me)... and I haven't even touched on how wonderful and responsive Vicky and Ismael are in the front office. We are looking forward to going back and re-connecting with the great people at Opal's and thanking Julio again for opening up this wonderful world.

Visited March 2014
Seattle, Washington
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“We had a scary drift night dive, dive master sent us up alone.”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We tried Opal because they had a dive available on our first day in Cozumel. Jeanne & Larry, who just reviewed Opal were the other two people on our boat. Our experience was quite different. They came with all their own equip (including green glow sticks for their tanks, and serious underwater lights) and were picked up at their hotel dock, versus our sketchy ride down to where the small boats are moored.

We rented our equip from Opal, checked it at the shop, but when they were loading it, they forgot our 2 sets of fins. When we discovered no fins, and only 1 backup pair on board, we were well on our way to the reef. The dive master found a boat done for the day, and we got fins from them, so no real problem.

Our first tank at twilight all went well. My buddy and I told the dive master that we had never done a night dive, but we were comfortable with him and the water. After about 40 minutes, and down around 60 feet, I was running low on air, and the dive master told my buddy and I to go on up, and he stayed with the experienced divers, Jeanne & Larry. We knew we needed a safety stop about 20 feet, and I started the circular light motions to warn our boat we were near surface, and to warn boats away from us, as we had no float or surface light. My buddy was trying to get us to 20 feet, while I signaled with my light, but it was dark, no frame of reference. We accidentally passed right thru 20 feet, and suddenly both of us hit the bottom of our boat, its motor running, maybe in neutral, or maybe slow in current. This totally spooked us, and we struggled to go down for safety stop, and avoid the propeller. Neither of us had a watch on, or dive computer, since we thought we had a dive master that would guide us, not leave us on our own for our first night dive, drifting in current.

Maybe we completed the safety stop adequately, but in that dark and drifting, it is hard to stay at 20, and guess three minutes when feeling scared about boats above.

This was the most dangerous situation I've had so far in several years of diving, and the couple dive masters I've spoken with about this have told me they would have guided all four of us up together, or let Jeanne & Larry, the very experienced divers, finish up on their own.

No wonder Jeanne & Larry (who by the way are very nice) give rave review to Opal. We didn't dive with them again.

1 Thank Robin B
Cambridge, Minnesota
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Another great experience”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Dove with Opal's again this February. As in the past a great time with great people. Vicky handled everything via email before, during and after our visit. Small fast boats with small groups are a big plus for Opal's. We never had more than 5 divers on the boat. When we return next year Opal's will again be our dive shop of choice.

Westminster, Colorado
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Diving with Opal is a Dream Come True”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We dive with Opal's Dream every time we go down to Cozumel, and we always have a fantastic experience. Everyone at the shop is very friendly and so much fun. The divemasters really know the waters and always point out many spectacular sights. They know exactly where to find all sorts of marine life and beautiful, healthy reef systems. Every time we go, we always see new things and it is like the first time all over again. No two trips are ever the same. The whole team at Opal's Dream are not only our divemasters, but they are also our friends. Mostly though, they are our family. We would not think of diving with anyone else while down in Cozumel.

Jeanne Jones & Larry Billinger