“best local eatery”

Price range: US$4 - US$40
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours
Description: Restaurant specialized in mexican food, with 35 years of experience and quality in everything we do, characterized for our excellent service and exquisite flavor. We have a lot of special dishes from delicious tacos and appetizers lie famous guacamole and azteca soup to fish and seafood and always caring about special need and tastes of each of our clients.
Reviewed 30 August 2013

we have been eating here on our trips to Cozumel for 28 years and it always good. The owner and staff are friendly the food is fresh and real Mexican which is why the locals also eat here. they are moving to a new location in September but ask around it will be worth it

Reviewed 16 August 2013

El Foco (Av. 5 Sur, between Calles Adolfo Rosado Salas & 3 Sur)

Stopped by El Foco to get a bite to eat while watching the Sunday festivities in the plaza. Picked up some delicious tacos to go. Food quality was great, service was very good, prices seemed a bit high - but portions were massive. If you're looking for a quick, high quality taco near the plaza - they're a good choice.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

As far as a close to square place to get cheap / fast tacos, this is probably the go to place. Lot of taco spots on the island, this one is neither great nor bad in any way. Service was good, food was hot and delivered fast. The guacamole was tasty and they make a good mojito! We would eat there again, but probably not a place we would make a point to seek out, but if we were hanging downtown and wanted a quick taco, wouldn't hesitate to drop in.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

I usually like to steer clear of places that are too touristy, so I was a bit hesitant to try El Foco upon seeing the American, French, British, and German flags accompanying the tricolores. Further adding to my hesitation was the wall of tourist autographs, as well as the location just around the corner from the main seaside thoroughfare. I'm glad I overcame my hesitation because the tacos here are delicious.

I've visited three times, and each time, I ordered El Foco, which is a mixture of chorizo, beef, onions, and cheese. They place two tortillas on the plate and first cover them with a layer of cheese, then they cover and melt the cheese with a very generous helping of the meat and onion mixture. This is served with another three tortillas, so you can make five well-filled tacos. The brilliance lies in the two base tortillas because they absorb all of the juices and retain the most cheese, turning your last two tacos into flavor bombs. And if such juiciness makes you think about torn and broken tortillas, think again. Even the meat-juice-soaked tortillas held together well. If your appetite is perhaps not as hefty as mine, you might want to eat the base tortillas earlier. It's a substantial quantity of food that not everyone will make it through. Then again, you wouldn't be leaving as much time for the juices to soak in. I guess it's a conundrum each of you will have to resolve on your own.

My only complaint was that the beef was a bit chewier than I prefer. However, after having spent quite a bit of time in Mexico, I've learned that a bit of chewiness to the meat is not unusual.

The tacos were served with pico de gallo (which I didn't use so as not to upset the onion ratio), lime, and salsa verde. The salsa was good, though it could have used a bit more spice.

I almost wish I would have tried some other tacos to get a better feel for the place, but chorizo, beef, onions, and cheese have a delicious simplicity that I apparently couldn't resist. So be it.

4  Thank benitodisparos
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Stopped by this place for dinner on our most recent trip to Cozumel (early July). My wife and I were worried that something was wrong since we were the only people in the joint. However, it was low season and the beginning of the week. It was close to our hotel, Villas las Anclas, and loved reading all the scribbles on the wall from past visitors.
On to the food...Whatever suspicions we had were quickly erased by a nice big bowl of Sopa de Limon. This was by far the best soup we had on the whole trip. The chicken was tender and the lime flavor was perfect. We also had some chorizo tacos, pollo tacos and tacos con nopal (cactus). All the tacos were filling. the nopal tacos were my personal favorite.
The prices weren't as good as some of the other places we ate in Cozumel but you shouldn't let that scare you from trying this place. Get the soup, you'll thank me later.