“Best Dinner of the Week”
Review of El Moro

El Moro
Ranked #11 of 384 Restaurants in Cozumel
Price range: US$3 - US$13
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Oklahoma City, OK
“Best Dinner of the Week”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This was our best meal in Cozumel of the week. I had the chicken mole and my husband had the garlic butter fish. Both were excellent. Pico was fantastic with a slight sweetness to it. Service was wonderful and beer was cold and margarita was strong.

El Moro is outside of town in a residential area. Definitely easier to taxi in. Our cab driver showed back up after around an hour and waited on us since it was a slow night.

Wish we could have made it back another time.....it was that good.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank lap7214

Durham, North Carolina
“Excellent Mayan food”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Off the beaten path, but well worth the trip. We had an exceptional dinner. The owner greeted us personally when we arrived and patiently explained the dishes. The fish is fresh, sauces flavorful, and the salsa is amazing. I recommend this for anyone who visits here that wants a truly authentic, exceptional experience.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Sheree K
Millington, Tennessee
“Top 3 in Cozumel”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We first went to El Moro 10 years ago and enjoyed it so much we had to go this trip. The lead server(Ray is his name) was still there and has served at El Moro for 22 years. Ray is worth the trip to go to El Moro. Always a smile on his face and so gracious in his demeanor. The food just happens to be excellent. My wife and I had the seafood combo on our first trip and we had to go again and she had grilled shrimp and I had grilled fish and shrimp. The best guacamole for an appetizer. As I headed this review--one of the top 3 in Cozumel. ( PS-Ray is not the owner. Mom and Pop who work around the kitchen and give you a big smile are the owners )

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank buzsaw8
Charlotte, Michigan
“Unbelievable food in an unexpected location!”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We picked this restaurant off the Trip Advisor website because it was among the top 5 highest-rated restaurants on the island and it served "local" food at a fair price (after all, I'm not a big fan of going to Mexico and eating pizza or such).

First thing I want to mention is that the map on Trip Advisor appears to be WAY off . . . maybe I'm reading it wrong, but that map gives the impression the restaurant is near the "plaza" area (near the ferry from Playa de Carmen and the downtown cruise ship dock) and you might be able to walk to it after shopping in that area. Not even close as best I could tell. From the plaza area, this was about a 7-10 minute taxi ride away from the coast and into the residential area. Don't even plan on walking, just take a taxi. If you're renting a car, you can sure try finding it on your own, but good luck! =0)

Second thing - don't be too shocked when you are approaching this restaurant and then walk in. The neighborhood is probably not what you are going to expect . . . it's typical residential area for what I've seen in Cozumel, but it might be a shock to you if you've only been hanging around the touristy areas. With that said, I didn't have any reason to believe we were anything but safe there.

The building itself is interesting - it looks completely run down and any attempt at decoration is hodge podge for lack of any other description. Not much to look at, and certainly not a typical "fancified" tourist restaurant. However, we felt like the restaurant was impeccably clean during our visit - that's more than I can say for some of the places in the usual tourist zones.

What can I say about the service other than our main waiter (other reviews have named him as "Ray", but I didn't catch his name to confirm) is clearly the happiest person on that island, including the tourists on vacation! He was remarkably chipper and not at all in a "fake" way - he's just truly happy you are in his restaurant and wants to make it the best experience possible. I hope some day I can be that happy to be at work. Probably won't happen, though!

FInally, the food - good lord, if I had know that enchiladas with mole sauce should taste like that, I'd have been eating mole years ago instead of avoiding it like the plague. The sauce itself looked more like a very smooth chocolate sauce than any mole I have seen previously. The sauce was creamy and you could clearly taste the chocolate, though it wasn't overpowering - still a savory sauce! The chicken in the enchiladas was well seasoned and moist, and the beans served on the side were creamy while still maintaining a bit of texture, and were absolutely delicious! The serving size was very good (my friend couldn't finish her 4 enchiladas), though I could have stood for more beans, they were that good. We paid around $20 total (might have actually been less) for a very filling meal for 2, including tips and a couple of beers. The taxi ride there and back will cost you almost as much as the meal!

If you did take a taxi to get here, just tell the server when you are ready to leave that you need a taxi, and he will call one for you.

I would highly recommend El Moro, and will certainly be going there again on my next trip!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Jenn B
west milford,nj
“They Wowed ME!!”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The Owner greeted us, welcomed us, was sincerely happy to see us and that was just the beginning. The cold drinks, the delicious appetizers, the fresh made guacamole, the cerviche, the awesome beans and cheese, the quesidillas, and that was the beginning, Then came our piping hot, cooked to perfection, shrimp on a wire, catch of the day and grouper. Lets not forget the Cuban prepared steak and beef burritos. YUM-MO, Each and every bite was tremendous! And the owner, hugging us, thank you for coming, please come again, we are grateful. WOW, such a wonderful meal and experience.

• Visited April 2014