“Best Margaritas!”

Cozumel, Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Margaritas!”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We are local and we hang out here quite a bit~ They have great food, a friendly staff, and the best margaritas. They have a beautiful view and there is miles of beautiful sandy beach.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank PlayaTortugaCozumel

Illinois
“Awesome place, great view”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My family and I have been here several times. The food and drink is still great. Smelling the ocean and watching the waves crash, while laying in one of their hammocks, is priceless.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank RichIllinois
Hancock, New Hampshire
“You'd think it would be too touristy. Go anyway.”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I reviewed Mezcalito's a few years back when we were feeling as if we'd settled in to the island and were avoiding touristy places. I've realized that in the last two years it's actually been one of the places where we've spent the most time and that it's where our visiting family and friends request to go the most.

Sure, it's touristy. I can't say I see locals there at all. What it's not, though, is loud or obnoxious. Kick off your shoes and sit with your toes in the sand. Listen to the waves. Breathe.

The food is much better than you might think. They put some time and effort into it. Their french fries are amazing - sometimes that's all we'll order if we're just heading back from surfing or whatever. The Mezcalito's Super Shrimp (Camarones Especial on the Spanish menu) is wonderful and is one of those dishes I often crave but can only get one place on the planet.

It's largely a bar. I'm sure the beer is fine, but unless you're simply mad for Mexican bottled beer, try one of their excellent mojitos or palomas. Their margaritas are legendary and go down a bit too easily. If we're riding our scooters and don't want alcohol, a coke always tastes best on the beach and they have cold water coconuts they'll open for you.

I've been there in driving rain and lovely sunshine. It's all good. Except swimming. Don't try to swim there because the ironshore is too sharp and rocky. Also except using your cellphone - you can get off a text or quick, crackly call from the parking area, but there's not enough signal for conversations or being distracted. My wife loves to beachcomb there. I like to sit and just absorb the view.

Part of the reason we've spent so much time there is that each visit is hours long. This is not a place we're in a hurry to leave.

They close at dusk because there's no electricity on that side of the island and it gets too dark.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Mark S
Pennsylvania
“Can't believe it took me this long.”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We have had this on our list for a long time, but never made it. I had been told their margaritas in the clay cups are really good. There were. We just hung out and drank. Makes a nice start of a north to south east side run on a Norte day.

• Visited May 2014
California
“Excellent!”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Beautiful setting on the east side. We got there before noon and nearly had the place to ourselves. Lunch on the beach with perfect views! I had a coco loco, which was very tasty and served in a coconut! The fish tacos were great, as was the chicken fajitas. The guacamole was the best I've ever had!

Visited May 2014