“Great budget accommodation in Cozumel!”
Review of Hostelito Cozumel

Hostelito Cozumel
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Cozumel is an expensive city that caters to cruise ship passengers and weathy (mainly American) tourists. That's why I was so happy to find Hostelito, conveniently located in the center of town near the port and all the action. They have several very cheap dorm options, but as they weren't air-conditioned I opted for a double room on my own. It had A/C, small TV, a fridge and hot shower. I booked on-line in advance and paid $25 per night (I was on my own, but the rate might be the same for two people). Normally they charge $35 per night, but perhaps because it was in July, which isn't there high season, they discounted the room. I think it's a cute place, with a shady area to relax, tables, hammocks, a common cooking area which can be used by everyone. Lots of young people were staying in the large dorm for a very cheap price and seemed quite satisfied. The staff was friendly and helpful. I asked about the reported bedbug problem and they told me that they have never had any problems with bugs in their regular rooms, only in the dorms and they said they fumigate regularly. I would recommend this place to any budget traveler. Their website is www.hostelito.com.mx and phone number is 987.869.8157.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, take the private room instead of the dorm.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Janet W
HostelitoCozumel, Gerente at Hostelito Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

hello janet . we are glad to here about you , Hostelito is specialized to meet their needs in shelter and comfortable rest, so we are grateful for your time and trust. thank you very much for staying with us and we hope in the future with the same services and much better, for future travel. thank you very much for your visit to and for you staying in Hostelito

hostelito staff

Reviewed 11 July 2012

I go to Cozumel every 4 weeks to work Friday and Saturday and keep Sunday for pleasure. I already stated two times at the Hostelito first time one night and second two nights; and from my experience it is an excellent place to stay either for work ( least probable ) or for vacation. I get the private apartment with fridge, small stove, kitchen utensils so I can go to the supermarket and cut on the restaurant bills to spend it in snorkeling and scuba diving. The place is clean, front desk guy is very friendly, at night there's a mister that does his rounds and checks everything is ok. What I pay for the apartment in Hostelito gets my money's worth. Cable TV, air conditioner and a balcony ( at least in the one I usually stay in). Oh almost forgot to tell. It is practically two blocks away from the ferry dock and the main street where the stores, bars and restaurants are which is very convenient for me. If you're on a budget and look for some place clean and comfortable give it a try. PS I already booked for next month so if you don't get the apartment with balcony probably is because I'm stayin in it.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Angiologo
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stayed in a private room because I had spent the past 2 months in dorm rooms and needed some quality sleep. I was upgraded to a junior suite for a lesser price that had A/C, cable TV, and a kitchen. The general hostel had a pretty cool setup with the kitchen outside but covered. The desk staff and owner were very nice to me and helped me when asked. Like where and how much to pay for a scooter rental. They also let me practice my Spanish a bit on them and never asked for the payment that I was paying per day. All in all a good place that I highly recommend to travelers to stay. Cheers!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank travel_lover087
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I just stayed at Hostelito from June 20-23 2012. Major bed bug problem, got hundreds of bites and my clothes and bag were infested. I had no problems before arriving to this hostel. The hostel is very dirty which is surprising because there is nearly no one staying there. I had to pay over $80 for a doctors visit and meds. When I asked the manager for a refund, he said the owner will not refund my money, he will only upgrade me to one of the private rooms (no thanks!). Apparently everyone in town knows this place has bed bugs - the dive shops, pharmacies, other hostels etc. I can't understand how it is legal for them to continue to operate in this condition.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Steve N
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

CigarSteve:

We would like to respond your bed bug issue comment. We have 2 kinds of services in "Hostelito" (Hotel + Hostal) and the bed bug issue is occured time by time just in the Hostal (main dorm) which has been remodelated. We also are certificated by exterminator expert that comes to Hostelito at least once a week.

Bed Bugs do not naturally occur on the island, as you are aware there is a growing problem in the turism hospitality industry of any category. It could be that another guest introduces the bugs into the room unknowingly in their luggage or clothes. Either way the rest of the guests had no complains.

About the main doorm, it was in low occupation because of the season.

We regret any inconvenience that we have may caused you moreover the last day which was the triggered of the protest. But as a guest you have been for consecutive years deserve to know that the room you stayed is a common area with 26 beds, that service includes a locker with pathlock so you can get your luggage safe, linens, showers, common kitchen with amenities, Wi-Fi, sundeck, hammacs, safe-box and security guard by nights. You definitely get what you pay for and the product and services for your 12 dlls per night did get your money worth.

Thanks for your comment.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

This place was horrible. Five of us stayed in a 6-person dorm, and at first we were very pleased with the room, which had a tv, ensuite, and kitchen, and seemed more like a hotel room than a hostel. However, we soon noticed how absolutely disgusting it was and were completely turned off. There was dirt all over the floor, the kitchen was awful, and there was so much hair and muck in the shower drain (which we complained about to the manager, who didn't care at all). The bedsheets were ripped and of questionable cleanliness, and to top it all off they were infested with bed bugs! This place is NOT worth it, no matter how cheap it is. I'd recommend spending a little extra and staying somewhere half-way decent!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
joaquinrivero, Gerente at Hostelito Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Hello Heather

We are just updating or profile on Trip Advisor to take care of our clients reviews, your opinion is very important to us and we are gratfull for you to take time to let us know about your experience...

We asure you this was one time mistake on house keeping matter, and we currently do sanitary inspections and work on keep the best standard profile our clients in Hostelito cozumel deserve.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

Quite a decent hostel here, but I stayed in a 3 person room - The dorm looked questionable, with 26 beds & 1 bathroom, but I didn't stay there so I have no right to comment I suppose.

The location is very central to town, there is a good kitchen to cook in & the staff were decent.

All in all, not a bad hostel at all.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank AussieDizzle
Reviewed 14 May 2012 via mobile

Do not stay here! I got feasted upon by bed bugs...totalling around 40 bites (also requiring an expensive trip to the hospital/pharmacy) This has really ruined my trip as I now look (and feel) like a leper so I hope this post will help save someone else the misfortune. What's more, we were required to pay for this hell......

• Stayed: May 2012
joaquinrivero, General Manager at Hostelito Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Dear ndoccy

All the Hospitality industry in Cozumel and all over the world are exposed to this kind of matters, Bed bugs are really a situation that concern us and we definitlly work constantly to take action about any issue we may have.

The reactions to bed bugs are presented according to the type of travelers often by the skin type , some people are very sencibles and are more likely to be bitten.

Customers came at any time and the may carri on this bugs by not showering or keep dirty clothes, carry old books and bugs even get into luggage bags, shoes and basicly anything that travels with them. That has nothing to do with cleanliness or quality of service provided to them.

We carried out regular inspections and fumigation on the premises,
In the most respectful manner appreciate your comments and it's have been taken in the matter because our principles and ethics is to satisfied our customers.