“Lovely Two weeks in January”
Review of Allegro Cozumel

Allegro Cozumel
Ranked #21 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Toronto
“Lovely Two weeks in January”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Sorry about the delay in writing this review. We spent two splendid fun weeks in this charming resort in early January. We enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. Let me first deal with the complaints which are usually raised.

Timeshare team- I do not go to Mexico for timeshares but know that they do exist. Rather than get too fussed up and try to dodge the well-placed team for two weeks, I simply relaxed and had a very friendly chat-these are not the sharks.
We received a few trinkets, much helpful advice and a free snorkeling trip from Oscar- a very cool, friendly and informative guy. The whole team was a blast.
We did have a two hour tour and breakfast at the neighbouring property about three minutes away. The pressure was somewhat mild and the property was lovely..We had it out of the way and then had Oscar and his gang as funny friends for the next two weeks. They are just regular folks working for a living-not a big problem in our opinion. do not run and hide or get angry-just go with the flow.

Repairs to the resort were ongoing and every day, this little pueblo of a resort got better and better. The gardens and pool area were great. The iguanas were huge and well-behaved. However feeding them or encouraging toddlers to feed them seems a little unwise. Iguanas were smarter than some parents.
The beach was beautiful, the water warm and clean. Easy to walk the beach for miles and snorkeling was simple fun.
This is also a diving resort and the staff seemed both very good teachers. and very engaging. We do not dive but observed their excellent teaching several times. One problem-if you go with the local team to snorkel, you may also be placed with divers. The problem is that the divers get priority and that meant we snorkellers were in somewhat cold water longer than necessary while the divers were located and picked up. We did another snorkelling trip with a glass-bottom boat that came to the resort pier and it was much better. They educated, watched, encouraged and took better care of their snorkellers-no divers on the boat. Either way, the snorkelling itself is unbelievably beautiful and the main sites are minutes away-no long boat rides.
Staff-all were friendly, hard-working and very efficient. The towel ladies were true artists-the most creative that we have ever seen and we have visited dozens of AIs over the years. We had wonderful little chats with some warm and wonderful people. Thanks to all for your hard work and sense of humour-Santos, Ignacio, Ana, Miguel and Miguelito. Your friend Don Don sings your praises!
The buffet food was excellent-a range of food, warm, tasty and with excellent service from the staff. No idea why anyone would complain. Lots of fun having lunch and drinks at the pool buffet too. Some line-ups but generally very easy to get your food-just have a drink and be patient. We enjoyed several meals at the Mexican restaurant (daytine pool buffet) and liked the staff at the lovely little Asian restaurant although food was simpler there.

The entertainment team was good-especially for families-they had the kids producing lots of bracelets and learning Spanish. The pool games and exercises were run well and without too much noise. Did not vist the disco-but it seemed well-run.
All in all, a very warm, modest but great value resort staffed with some truly wonderful people. When you leave to go to the downtown area, consider a vist to Pancho's Backyard for the best margaritas and wonderful, creative Mexican food. You can use your bill to get a discount at the Cinco Soles store in front.
Quick now-off to Allegro

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Fidel47

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (903)
  • Polish first
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We are long time TS owners here and can't wait to return each year. We came to this resort when it was brand new and have watched it grow thru the years and watched it go down after hurricanes, ony to be built back up again.
The thing about this place is the friendly people who work here and getting to know many of them thru the years. No better people anywhere. Friendly bartenders and waiters as well as one of the 2 maids we have had since the beginning. Got to know them and they clean spotless and decorate very nicely.
Any problem is always attended to with only one call or visit to the First Club. Food and booze is always good, and we can always fing something that we like in the buffet.
Again, this is our home away from home and we look forward to this trip each year.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Huntgas
Collingwood, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Stayed Mar 22-29. The staff was amazing, the rooms are close to the beach, which is beautiful. As is typical of Mexico, the service is bar none! A small tip will go a long way to making your stay even more pleasant. The staff works so hard to please you. The food was excellent to me. There was sometime for everyone at all the lunches and buffets. The line ups were long at times, but moved really fast.. not sure why everyone complains about this..relax people! It wasn't exactly the 401 or anything..lol. We didn't do any excursions, but we hired a local guy to take us around the island and off the beaten track, which was nice. Carolina and Monika on the front desk are fantastic and extremely accomodating, or they were to me! There was a laundry mat, bank machine, gift shop/convenience store and a gym. It had all the amenities I needed. Overall, I had no major complaints.. I went for fun, sun and relaxation and that's exactly what I got! I would definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TorontoBeachBabe
STACY
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We recently stayed here and I must say this hotel has gone down hill. We have stayed here three times before and this was terrible!! The roof leaked and our room was flooded. We had standing water on the floor and our beds were soaked. We pulled back the sheets and there was black mold on the mattresses!! We slept on Moldy beds and all got sick. We will never stay at this hotel again!!

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Carolyn T
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear Carolyn T,

Please allow me to express my deepest apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We are committed to providing our guests with an enjoyable vacation and it appears that we fell short of this during your stay.

Our rooms are designed with thatched roofs to provide guests with an authentic tropical experience and our rooms are usually in very good condition, our maintenance and housekeeping team typically work diligently to ensure this. I have addressed your comments with our departments to inspect the issues you had in the room and confirm all are resolved.

I regret to hear that your fourth stay with us was not pleasant and I truly hope that you will give us another chance to welcome you,

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at socialmedia@mx.occidentalhotels.com I will make sure your next stay will be most enjoyable.

Travellers are raving about these Cozumel hotels

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 31 March 2013

inconsistent service - some staff bent over backwards to accommodate and some did not
decent food, need more healthy choices
beautiful location, beach and pool were kept in wonderful condition
equipment for diving and complimentary snorkeling was sturdy, well-made, and clean

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hliccardi
DC
Reviewed 31 March 2013

After vacationing in Cancun several times I was let down by this resort in Cozumel. I consider myself a very fair rater of hotels, resorts and restaurants. The Allegro needs a complete facelift. It is old and worn out. The draperies had holes in them, the tile is coming off of the showers as well as one of the pools. Just a bunch of tiles laying in the bottom of the pool. I am used to waking up in the morning and the resort being "refreshed". At this resort the workers don't start cleaning up the pool and beach areas until well after 9:00 a.m. from the day before. Here is something interesting........I put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door one day to take a nap. The housekeeper came and tried to get in and when she couldn't she had the desk call the room to find out if we wanted the room cleaned! What part of Do Not Disturb do they not get? The walls were paper thin. Could completely hear the conversation next door verbatim. So I guess that meant they could here mine as well. Our air conditioner had a loose belt or something and made a terrible noise 24 hours. I asked to be moved and they said no. The food was good and the location outstanding. Despite the lackluster of the hotel no one can take away from the beauty of the caribbean sea and fantastic weather. I won't stay here again, but I will go back to Cozumel.

Room Tip: Be a time share member. That is the ONLY way to get a good room.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank batteykl
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Allegro Cozumel - March 22 to 29th.
The facts: Airport taxi drop off at multiple resorts - $11.50 USD
Allegro Cozumel taxi to airport - $290.00 Pesos
Taxi to Punta Lagosta (shopping centre w/Starbucks) - $180.00 Pesos or $17.00 USD
Intenet at resort - $20.00 USD per day.
Average temperature curing stay - 27 Celsius
Breakfast @ 7 AM /Lunch @ 12 PM /Dinner @ 6 PM
Studio room equipped w/ LCD TV; Dvd player; stereo; fridge; microwve; coffee expresso maker; safe

The Allegro Cozumel is very similar to the Allegro Playacar in Playa Del Carmen, except with a few more ammenities. What it doesn't have is close proximity to town, as it's located in the playa region of the island. There are more pools than Playacar with additional jaccuzis, as well as a kids water slide park, instabank machines (they're safe to use - USD & Pesos) and a 24/7 laundry mat and a gym, which is great!

While this is the place for snorkelling or scuba diving to the reef, the beach is not as nice as Playacar, especially since the reclamation of Playa Del Carmen beaches after the hurricanes. If you run out of sun tan oil, don't waist your money on the  town tourist strip, head to the Mega Super mercato, just before Punta Logosta. Prices are like Walmart there. Mega is also found in Playa Del Carmen, next to Walmart. If you are looking for Starbucks and wifi in Cozumel, it's located at Punta Lagosta.

Word of caution at the resort, line ups for lunch at the pool snack restaurant is long and I've never seen so many people waiting for breakfast at Topas main buffet at 7AM. The nice thing about the Allegro Cozumel is that there are no other resorts right next to it. You have to walk about half mile along the beach before you get to the next resort. The food is pretty consistent with other Allegros, neither great nor bad, just don't expect gourmet and remember, it's never as bad as Cuba!LOL

The staff at all Allegros are the asset of the resort, they will go out of their way for you! The grounds are always luscious and the beauty of these mid sized resorts is convience of everything within walking distance. You don't have to take a golf cart to get to the beach or dinner. Rooms are adequate, I'll post pictures of mine with microwave, bar & fridge. Airconditioning worked well and I had a hot shower, when I needed it. Mosquitos weren't much of a problem here, maybe because I had a friendly gecko in my room taking care of them. Don't worry, they're harmless, if you have a top floor room, they stay near the thatched roof. Word of caution, if you don't like noise, ask for a ground floor room!

All in all, it was a great stay and I got what I needed,  much needed R&R. Stay for the sunsets, they are spectacular! The next time I'm back, I will visit Stingray beach and play with the Stingrays! Cheers, you've now got the scoop!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo