“The best of 3 places in Cozumel we've visited”
Review of Allegro Cozumel

Allegro Cozumel
Ranked #24 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Portland, Maine
“The best of 3 places in Cozumel we've visited”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We went to two friends. It remains a favorite shared experience. Fly down, rent a car, check in, and relax. There are three pools: one for kids, one for whoever, and one with a swim-up bar. There is a hot tub or two, and a pool to one side. But the private beach is lovely. And there is of course the all-your-can-drink beach-side bar. To review: its beach, then bar/hot tub; then nice restaurant; then two more pools; then main building with the main restaurant. Cabanas are scattered on either side of the pools. Occasionally a coconut falls and you can drink the milk. Or maybe you prefer to drive into town, or further down to the east coast, choosing from the Rasta Bar or the wonderful, thousand year old cultural sights. Take a snorkel tour: the south coast of Cozumel has one of the best snorkel reefs in the western world. Go, go, go. The people are wonderful, and you can even enjoy a Cuban cigar! -Oh by the way, there are some curious reviews. I personally believe some reviews are misleading (or lies) about bedbugs etc. We've been three times. Never seen a hint of any of that

Room Tip: If 4 of you go, you can get back-to-back rooms with an adjoining door. The front porches have a ham...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Drew M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (916)
  • Polish first
toronto
Reviewed 8 February 2014

It is such an excellent place. Beautiful beach, well-kept grounds, amazing food and the most friendly and attentive staff, especially in buffet, reception and lobby bar. We were group of 8 and we all had a blast . Snorkeling at the resort beach was hit or miss. One day I saw just 2-3 fish the other there was a lot. I recommend to rent a jeep to go around the island , it was very safe , not a lot of cars on the road. We were in the building 47 located in the centre and it seems to be hanging out place for iguanas. I saw few times the line up to the beach restaurant just at the opening time , so take your time , after half an hour there line was gone. It was easy to get a beach chair in the shade even at 10 o’clock. Also , I loved the hammock on the each room porch !
The only flaws in the resort were hard beds , kids disco , which wasn’t a disco but elimination game and some kids were off the stage after one minute of participating .

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank monis
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I was leery to stay here, but after my husband and I got here, we loved it. We traveled with another couple...who also love Allegro. The food was good, the drinks were great, and the beach was amazing. I read horrible reviews of dirty pools, rooms, and waiting in lines. We NEVER had to wait in lines for food or drinks. The staff was SO friendly and fun. The beds, yes, are a little on the hard side, but we just asked for the foam topper and it was better. The rooms got a good cleaning everyday, with plenty of bottled water stocked. They are a little out dated, but who stays in the room the whole time anyways??

Make sure you do a snorkeling trip, rent a Jeep or scooter and check out the island, and bring an insulated coffee mug or cup for drinks....the only downfall is no straws at the resort, but I can see why, they would be picking them up everywhere.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank RStein0507
Brampton
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Let me start off by saying I am neither spoiled, nor fussy, and tend to find my silver lining in any situation, but this was a tough one!

The good: the beaches were spectacular! the water was warm and clear and it was great to snorkel right off our beach. We saw stingrays, blow fish and many other types right in our swimming area. The dive shop staff were fantastic...very friendly and knowledgeable....they even blew up our tubes for us. The ladies at the front desk were also fantastic, as were most of the staff we encountered. Also excellent was the weather....sunny every day ! Loved the iguanas on the resort.

The Bad: where do I start. Everything about this hotel was half done. Its seems like they really tried to do things right and gave up. Ceilings are half painted, curtains are moldy, no caulking around the lovely sink in our room....just half a#s. No fridges in rooms, Beds were hard..very hard! TV's dont work, phones work only half the time...etc. (Not a huge deal since all you do is sleep in a room) The same applies to the food. Nothing was "Great". Don't get me wrong, none of us starved, but we did leave the resort for a few decent meals ..Try El Moro on 80th..great service, price and food! There was no bacon except for two days, the toaster was broken for two days and mediocre would be putting it mildy when describing the rest of the food. Irwin in the buffet restuarant was sweet and provided lovely service to us. However, one of the hosts actually said "OH MY GAWWD" when we asked to be seated at another table (the one we had was dirty)...speaking of dirty. Check your plates, cutlery and wine glasses before using them. Like I said, I am not fussy, but I am clean and using utensils with lipstick still on it is a bit gross to me!

The Ugly: our adult children had to switch rooms, because, like another review mentioned, there were bugs in their bed. We do not think they were bed bugs but more like fleas.... hundreds of tiny fleas! We think it was because the maid replaced the bed spread with one that was stored in "closet". they switched rooms and they were fine. There is also a very strong smell of sewage thru out the resort. If you ever smelled bad well water (like sulpher and poop) then you know what it is like. It occurs when you use the cold water...or flush your toilets. The smell is so strong it can wake you up from a deep sleep. Also, sound travels...bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.

We did have a power outage when we were there. It was ugly ,,,,toiilets did not flush, fridges did not work, BUT...a big BUT...the staff handled it great. They went around with Candles and they still served dinner. Might have been the best meal I had because I couldnt see the dirt on the dishes ...LOL If you have not travelled much this may be acceptable to you. But to me and my family, it was the worst resort we have ever stayed at, but thankfully, we got a great deal and the price made it tolerable. I would consider this like a motel 6 and even for the price, I would never return.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs and a good attitude!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank RayeRaye

Travellers are raving about these Cozumel hotels

Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Just returned from a three week stay at the Allegro Cozumel. Yes, I said, three weeks. We have been here before and we now considered it our second home. I sometimes wonder about the people that complain if they are at the same resort as us. Magots, bed bugs etc., really??? I don't think so. We wouldn't keep going back if the Allegro was plagued with these types of things. We talked to several guests and not one had complaints. It was quite the opposite.

The grounds are beautiful and well maiintained. The beach is the best on the island.

The kids water park is fun for the kids and even the adults. It looked like the parents were having just as much fun sliding down the waterslide as their kids. Yes, the whistle does blow but you learn to tune it out. I would never complain about it. I think it is important to the little ones to have a fun and safe section for them. The whistle does turn off late afternoon/early evening so it won't interfere with your night's sleep.

The rooms are definitely dated but who lives in their rooms? We are there for the beach and fresh air. Paint stains on furniture. I don't think that will make or break a vacation for pete's sake. We had plenty of water pressure and hot water for our showers.

We always found something good to eat. I love the new sandwich addition to the lunch buffet. We were happy to see ice cream return to the dinner buffet two nights before we left. Our favorite a la carte this time was the Mexican restaurant. The food was fresh and we loved the variety. We enjoyed watching them make the Mexican coffee right at the table.

The staff was hard working. We never lacked for anything at our meals. They often checked back to see if we needed or wanted refills. I know how important it is for management to read who stood out as great employees. The omelet lady, sorry I don't know her name, works hard and has to put up with a lot from ungrateful and demanding guests. Her eggs are always perfect. Sergio, Jorge, Ana, and Santos were all great and very attentive. Landy, Leonel and Ignacio were the three that really stood out to us as exceptional.

The fireshow on the beach on Monday night is nothing short of spectacular.

I agree with another review that reminded people to tip. These people are hard working and deserve it. And to the person that snapped her fingers and barked "tea" to a waiter......shame on you!!!!! Who in the world do you think you are to treat another fellow human being like that?

We feel it is a great value for the price. We feel it is great for families or just adults. We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
14 Thank CORedtop
Ottawa
Reviewed 3 February 2014

This is my 2nd time at this reasort and will go back next year! Love this place! Food ,beach , staff etc.. Rent a jeep for the day and go to coconut bar and more!! Fun!fun!fun!
P.S. bring your positive attitude and you will love this place!♥

• Stayed January 2014
5 Thank Quiquine40
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My expectations were low after reading several negative reviews and we ended up being pleasantly surprised. The resort itself is beautiful and in great shape. The landscaping, beach and pools are well taken care of, and the lounge chairs look new as did the kid's playground. The room was no frills, but clean, and we knew in advance to ask for a foam pad for the bed, which they put on for us, and we slept great. They could do more to provide some extras such as shampoo and lotion, but they were very generous with the bottled water unlike some US hotels. Also our room was in an area that was quiet (3800's), but our friend who was in a "Premium" Superior room (6600's) said one night there was loud music outside her room coming from the hotel, not someone's room, from around midnight until 3:00 a.m. And for the record, we did not see the advantage of the additional price of the Premium Superior versus Superior rooms. The only thing was maybe a robe. All of the staff were pleasant, helpful and professional. Our toilet didn't flush properly a couple of days, but our complaints were answered promptly and they fixed the problems. A couple of times the lines for drinks at the beach bar were long, but we just waited 10 minutes to walk up or went to the pool bar in the restaurant. They also had a few bartenders that took our order and brought drinks to us at the pool. I was really worried about the food and it was fine. The breakfast was especially enjoyable with many selections, quality fresh fruit, and even an omelet bar where they made omelets and eggs to order. The lunch buffet was pretty good too. Every day they had some sort of grilled meat - steak, chicken, pork, or fish, and there was always plenty of fresh guacomole, pico salsa and chips. I will say for dinner we only ate at the specialty restaurants and both were pretty good. We went into town for dinner on 3 ocassions which I also highly recommend. It is a $16 cab ride one way, but definitely worth it. So there are pros and cons about being on the beach or being in town, but we prefer the beach. We did not use the onsite dive shop, Pro Dive, because we found them to be expensive. Instead we chose another dive company that picked us up at the dock every day. We were last on and first off and only 10 minutes from the dive sites which I think is another advantage of the hotel location, and the money we saved on diving we could justify for the cab rides to town! The spa was also very nice and we enjoyed our massage. Overall, we very much enjoyed our stay at the Allegro and will come back!

Room Tip: I think it is more quiet down by the beach and closer to the pools. The lobby and main restaurant a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple