“Always a good time, regardless” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Allegro Cozumel

Ranked #24 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Austin, Texas
“Always a good time, regardless”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Pros: beautiful resort and view, friendly staff, great volleyball games, swings at the bar, always a good time, oriental restaurant, fire show, Carlos the bartender, kids pool, swim up bar

Cons: food, lack of shows and entertainment ( in comparison our visits here years ago), very hard beds, lack of poolside activities during the day

We have been to this resort several times over the past 20 years, and would return, although the entertainment and activities that used to be going on all day and into the evening are no longer happening ): but all in all, we will/ can have fun anywhere we go..... A vacation is what YOU make of it.

2 Thank kcgan
Liliana S, Reputation Manager at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear kcgan,

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Allegro Cozumel. We sincerely hope to be able to host you again in the near future for yet another pleasant stay. We appreciate your comments about entertainment too, we shall take these into consideration in order to ensure our guests' satisfaction.

Allegro Cozumel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (869)
  • Polish first
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

My wife and I spent May 30th-June 6th at the Cozumel Allegro. We booked through United Vacations which got us a room upgrade(we had a partial view of the ocean). We had selected the Allegro because it is economical. When we got there the ocean was in pretty bad shape…really murky and I like to snorkel right off the beach so I was pretty disappointed thinking that they had built a solid pier that kept the water murky so I was very pleasantly surprised when during the next two days the water cleared up completely! I saw 2 manta rays and a large variety of fish..no turtles so I booked a snorkelling tour to the reefs with Chack-choc tours. The day of the tour was pretty cloudy so the light was not as good as it could have been even though the water clarity was amazing…also the coral reefs were pretty deep not just 2-3 feet as I was told when I booked it. I bought the photo package but received a a set of photos from a tour that took place in May 17th, of course I didn’t see this until I was home and viewed the CD. I contacted ‘Cozumelpictures@hotmail com’ and we e-mailed back and forth for a week but have now received an e-mail where they offer to refund my money because they cannot find the photos! Very, very disappointed to say the least. The food was tasty but very limited(economical hotel). We had stayed at the Belive resort(now Oasis Tulum) and the wine was so bad that we used the term Belive wine to refer to bad wine… we now use the term Allegro wine (it was not drinkable) I did like their Margaritas… As for the food- My wife says that the Allegro is now her favorite resort because she lost weight… this has never happened at an all-inclusive…The mosquitos were horrible even though the resort did fumigate the grounds.. this made it impossible to stay through a show at night. The room was kept very clean and we always got amazing towel art. The timeshare people are really pushy and it was three days before they left us alone… all in all I’d say it’s a good value though

Room Tip: Don't forget your mosquito repellent!
1 Thank dcguz
Dear jdcg,

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed as Vacation Club members so had access to the excellent First Club facilities and were upgraded from standard hotel room to First club room. The beach and pools are great, but the standard rooms are tired and need updating. We used the two speciality restuarants twice each, which are great with good food, but always the same menus.
The First club rooms were nearly full, but the rest of the hotel was only 12% full so the main buffet had a greatly reduced choice of food and the cooking stations were not in use. This is not the standard we are used to at other Occidental hotels.
It rained for the first 3 days, (not the hotels fault obviously) but the place flooded and we had to walk through water ankle deep to get to the restuarants. This made it interesting at least, saw a turtle swimming in one flooded area. Lizards and frogs are all over the place and someone reported seeing a tarantula and a snake on a wildlife hunt, glad it wasn't us !
The children's facilities here are the best I've seen but of no use to just my wife and I.
Many people will enjoy this hotel very much, it is very good but the food let it down.
My marks below reflect the basic hotel and not the excellent service received from the first club.

Room Tip: The better rooms are those closest to the beach, but they are all much the same inside.
Dear Arthur D,

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Allegro Cozumel. We sincerely hope to be able to host you again in the near future for yet another pleasant stay, we also appreciate your remarks about food, be certain we will look into this matter.

Port Deposit, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Our second trip to Cozumel, we stayed at the Occidental Allegro. That was in 2011. We have stayed there two times per year every year thereafter. I would recommend this resort to everyone. All the staff are friendly and helpful. Great value.

Room Tip: All the rooms are situated on the property to accommodate, singles, couples, and families.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Liliana S, Reputation Manager at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Karen C,

Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

First allow me to say I am well traveled throughout the Caribbean and Mexico and stay at 3-5 star resorts, some AI some not. I booked this Resort because it meet my needs of a great beach, all-inclusive, pools and service. I was not disappointed. Check-in and out was as fast as I ever seen. I chose a upper room with grass sloped ceiling. Now those who complain that "you can hear every sound in these rooms" are correct. The grass hut type ceilings are not sound proof but give you a nice feeling of being somewhere different. I loved waking up to the sound of tropical birds each morning. If you need quiet, take a lower level room. Rooms are small with concrete painted walls and 2 big windows that open. Patio has a cool hammock on it for resting. Allegro provides you room with everything you could ask for. A stocked fridge with beer, soft drinks and water. They provide robes, toiletries, safe, coffee pot, flat screen tv and turndown service. Lots of towels and good hot water. The grounds are very tropical and well maintained. There are 4 pools to use all are good but one is a kids play area with slides and stuff to climb on. Looked very nice for kids. They also have a nice playground. The beach in fantastic. Lots of chairs, great clean soft sand good for shell hunting. The reef is right offshore so shore snorkeling is very good. I didn't see a drink service at the beach or pool which was strange but drink bars are close to get your own. It was slow season so maybe they didn't do it. Food, I see comments going both ways good or bad. I found the food good and some of it excellent. They presented mostly the same thing each day with only a slight change in menu. Seemed strange since they had theme night such a "Caribbean night" but I seen no Caribbean food. This was not a problem for me as I always found things to eat that pleased me. My daughter who is a picky 12 yo turned her nose up at a lot of food but I'm use to it. I need to give Auturo a shout out and high 5 as he asked my daughter what she wanted and she said chocolate cake and he brought her 5 pieces ! Nice, nice customer care. The staff is great at this resort period. In conclusion, if you want a nice resort that is very family friendly and easy on you pocketbook, this is the one you want. If you expect the Ritz, spent the money and stay at the Ritz.

5 Thank Tropicalsunset96
Dear Tropicalsunset96,

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Allegro Cozumel. We sincerely hope to be able to host you again in the near future for yet another pleasant stay. We'll let Arturo know you kindly mentioned him in your review.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

We had a one day stop in Cozumel on a recent cruise and chose to spend the day at the Allegro. They offered an All Inclusive Day Pass for $50 per adult and $25 per child 12 and under. Towels and snorkel gear were offered if you left an ID at the front desk or the dive center. The beach was nice and my son enjoyed snorkeling. There seemed to be very few people staying at the hotel and the chairs and pools were nearly empty. They offered a buffet lunch and had one or two bars open.The landscaping was gorgeous but the pools seemed a bit tired and worn out. There was nothing that was knock-your-socks-off amazing but we had a pleasant, enjoyable day.

1 Thank flythefriendlyskies2
Dear flythefriendlyskies2,

Thanks for your review. We are pleased to know you and your son enjoyed the day at our premises.

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

We booked our 5 day and night vacation to Cozumel and decided to stay at the occidental allegro Cozumel because of the price, location, and the decent ratings. It was a big mistake, we were immediately upon arrival asked to visit the other sister property next door to have breakfast there. We declined because we wanted a stress free vacation. The staff hounded us daily and on the third day we went for the breakfast so they would quit bugging us. It turned out to be a vacation club presentation with pressure sales tactics that were less than fabulous. We finally got out of there three hours later and three salesmen later without committing to spend a dime. Thank goodness that was over. On another note, the resort never had bacon available for breakfast nor chorizo or peanut butter. There was no sign of a snack bar for after hours, and the food as previously described by others was pretty bland. The service was decent, the people were interesting and enjoyable. The roof of our room leaked a brown watery liquid and the staff was definitely aware of it because the cleaners would see it daily. To get to shopping it is $18 by taxi each way. This resort is far from town.

Room Tip: Look up at the ceiling to make sure it isn't wet.
3 Thank Brian S
Liliana S, Reputation Manager at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Brian S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We appreciate your feedback and you can be certain we will take your comments into consideration in order to maintain our quality standards. We apologize for the shortcomings and not have met your expectations.

Allegro Cozumel

Travellers are raving about these Cozumel hotels