“Beautiful beach, nice property, but...”
Review of Allegro Cozumel

Ranked #25 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Dear Travelers,
We just spent five days at this hotel and would like to share our experience during our stay.
We are a family of four, two adults and two children ( 11 and 7 years old). We selected this hotel not for the price, but rather for the beautiful beach and the setting this property has. My wife and I had spent a vacation here before we had our kids and remembered it as a quite nice place to stay. Well, this perception has changed somewhat as the quality of the hotel has declined, the rooms have come to the point where a renovation of bedrooms as well as bathrooms is overdue, nothing against a rustic setting with palapa roofs and simple furnishings, but here you will find an obvious lack of attention to maintenance and investment and the maid service can only do that much to compensate. This is a lack of attention and carelessness by management.
We had requested two rooms which are connected by an inside door, a very helpful feature when traveling with the kids. This request was accommodated with a lot of effort, but no complain here. Right after check in we were engaged by hotel personnel in a " welcome" presentation that in the end was nothing else than a sales pitch for some local businesses where the hotel personnel would get a sign up bonus for each guest he or she can get to sign up for boat snorket trip, but without mentioning you have to sit through a sales breakfast the next morning before the snorkel tour. Anyway, total waste of time and sure not helping the hotel to get better ratings.
Our advise: do not get pressured to sign up for anything on the spot. just take your time and book when you are ready.
On the same note: the next day we did book a snorkel tour with the local Expedia representative that is located in the lobby, paid our trip, only to find out he had miscommunicated the number of people for the tour, so we could not board. Nothing was done about it, no altenative was offered and a week later, we are still waiting to get the paid amount refunded to the card account. Again, total lack of guest attention.
The service attitute of the hotel personnel is average, at best, reception desk staff is inattentive and seem to be unmotivated to deal with guest related matters.
The food and beverage quality is acceptable, exept for the lunch, service is average.
All in all, the value of the place is the beach and property setting and by far not the attention to service and guest satisfaction, here is room for improvement.

6  Thank FourSunTravelers
Liliana S, Reputation Manager at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear FourSunTravelers,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We appreciate your feedback regarding needed maintenance and renovations and you can be certain we will take your comments into consideration in order to maintain our quality standards. We apologize for not having been up to your expectations.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We are just back from a 10 days stay at this hotel. The overall experience was sufficiently positive, the hotel represents a good value for the money, however there is room for improvement in some areas.
Rooms: rooms are clean, AC is efficient and room service is good. Depending on how many are staying in the room, there may not be enough rack space for your clothes. Rooms are generally quiet.
Food: food is good for an AI hotel, just do not expect gourmet meals.
Restaurants and facilities: the Topaz restaurant (where you have breakfast and dinner) is a little claustrophobic: the only room with AC and no windows does not have enough space for all the guests. When you are forced to sit outside the room with AC, you are near the buffet, in a smaller room with no windows and very few working ceiling fans that do not provide adequate ventilation and make the dining experience unpleasant.
Beware that on Saturday nights the number of guests almost doubles and you may have to wait over one hour before being seated.
Beach: while finding a beach chair is not usually a problem, finding a spot in the shadow might be challenging. The beach is very nice and some limited snorkeling is possible.
Dive shop (Pro Dive Mexico): not recommended. The instructors are good, however the shop policies are very rigid and the boats very crowded. The dive shop will be reviewed more in detail on the Pro Dive TripAdvisor page.

1  Thank LCas_MD

Dear LCas_MD,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We appreciate your feedback and you can be certain we will take your comments into consideration in order to maintain our quality standards. We apologize for not having been up to your expectations.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

My family and I just returned from the Allegro. We have stayed at the Occidental Grand and new that the Allegro was not supposed to be as nice. The stay at the Grand was terrible and our stay at the Allegro was great. Sure, there are nicer places on the island for much more money. The Allegro was exactly what we expected. The food was typical buffet style food that was not great. But this is what we expected. The rooms were clean and cool, a great place to get cleaned up and lay your head down at night. The grounds are excellent and the staff is hit and miss, some of them need more training in customer services. The beach is amazing. The best resort beach in Cozumel, this is why we chose this resort and it is close to the reefs. Upon arrival, make sure to request the mattress topper for the hard beds, it will make it more tolerable. Ask for a safe lock and make sure you don't loose it, they will charge 50 dollars. We always leave the housekeepers a few bucks a day and it tends to help with cleanliness. Don't let the food be the determining factor for this resort, the beach is what speaks volumes. We will return to this resort again, great value for our family. There are many great places to eat in town.

Room Tip: Choose a room closer to the lower restaurant an pools. Ground floor room will be cooler.
5  Thank tmdavis2941

Dear tmdavis2941,

Reviewed 14 August 2014

All though this resort is not the fanciest ever I have been going to the resort for many year. I have fell in love with the location and the magnificent people who work there! Specifically a few bar tenders and my favorite entertainers ( Dayved Alexander peniche)!!! I always suggest this resort to all of my friends because I know for a fact that they will be taken care of and that they'll have a blast!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Kierrabrie

Dear Kierrabrie,

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Allegro Cozumel. We sincerely hope to be able to host you again in the near future for yet another pleasant stay, we're glad you enjoy our recommend our employees attentive service.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

This is our 5th trip to this resort -- and we love it. It is not for everyone, and like some other reviewers have said --- don't expect 5-Star amenities because you aren't paying a 5-star price. So be realistic, and you will love this place. It all depends on your priorities --- if you want a posh room, exquisite dining, and crazy nightlife... then pay some more money and go somewhere else. If you want to sit at the beach and enjoy the weather, the sand, the incredible water - this is a great place.

This was the most packed this place has been since we've been going - so that was different. We went this time last year, and I think they have made some major improvements just since then.

BEACH -- We did wake up early to go get chairs at the beach, but only because we were particular where we sat. At the end, and in the front row to paradise! Grounds were clean, the water was crystal clear and warm and not rough at all. For kids - it's the ideal beach experience. We took our 12-year-old daughter, and she didn't get in the pool once to swim because of how great the ocean in!

POOLS -- I don't get why people would hang around a pool when you can do that anywhere -- especially with the breathtaking crystal clear, calm, warm water at the beach. People were complaining the pools weren't clean - but there are inconsiderate people who go straight from the ocean to the pool, don't rinse off, so what can you expect?! Plus, you get staff trying to clean up and other vacationers will ask them to go get them a drink. Just because it's all-inclusive....this resort is not set up to have a bunch of staff members fetching drinks for all of the vacationers. So if the pool isn't particularly clean - that's why!

ROOMS - not the greatest, but clean and good enough. We are in there to shower, and to sleep, and the rest of the day is about being outside!

FOOD - breakfast was great (omlettes & eggs made to order); lunch was good enough (with the best pico de gallo, and great guac & chips); dinner was average - but we were usually too stuffed to really need much!

GROUNDS - last year, there were iguanas and lizards everywhere you went - this year, hardly saw any. Don't know if that's intentional? Fun to see a few, happy to not have to see a ton!

STAFF - they were busy! Helpful as they could be, for being so busy! But they were nice - the time share people were not aggressive AT ALL, and everyone was friendly and willing to help.

ADVENTURE - we booked some adventures through the travel desk in the lobby -- very helpful, and very easy. He hooked us up with "Chac Choc" tours for our snorkeling --- it's the best we've done (I wrote a review about that as well!) and his prices were the same as they were online, etc. So it was perfect set up and everything ran great.

We stayed for 9 days - and it still wasn't enough. We love this ocean, love this beach, and love the atmosphere. The only bad thing at this resort are some of the people --- who got great deals to stay here, but expect it to be like The Ritz, and then complain when there isn't a line of staff waiting to serve them. Unrealistic guests were the worst part. But as far as the Allegro goes --- we know it's the best beach, and we will be back again soon. Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank mudd80123

Dear mudd80123,

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Allegro Cozumel. We sincerely hope to be able to host you again in the near future for yet another pleasant stay, we're glad you and your family also ventured on a snorkeling trip and throughly enjoyed it.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

After reading some unflattering reviews here, I was a tad skeptical heading into my 10-day stay at Allegro Cozumel, but I came home very satisfied with my experience.

Most of the people who chose Allegro did so because of its inexpensive rates and/or convenient flights, so they shouldn't expect a posh, fancy resort. While the Allegro could improve in a few areas (I'll get to that later), the location is outstanding, the beach is the best on the island and, for the most part, the staff was hard-working and friendly.

Since I spent a little longer time here than most, I was able to experience the resort at nearly 80 percent capacity and barely half-full in only a week apart. The service and overall experience was markedly better when the staff wasn't overextended. It was a very eclectic group of tourists staying at the resort. I was surrounded by French, German and Spanish speaking people for a few days, then mostly Texas/Oklahoma folks for another stretch. I met a lot of wonderful people from various walks of live during my span there.

The beach was simply magnificent. I've traveled extensively throughout the Caribbean and the Allegro beach was divine. The water was refreshingly cool and easy to stand, wade or swim in. Unless one had small children, I don't understand why anyone would prefer the relatively noisy, warm-water pools.

The rooms were OK, but nothing splendid. I had a thatched-roof upstairs superior room. The A/C worked fine but the room had a musty feel to it. The cable TV included mostly Mexican channels, although there were a few movie channels with English. I did have to chase a few lizards who crept in through the lining in the roofs, but it was not a big deal.

As for the food. ... well, it was rather mediocre, but I totally understand how difficult it must be to feed hundreds of people buffet-style. Breakfast was fine. Options included scrambled eggs, omelets, fruit, cereal, etc, but amazingly no bacon or sausage. I usually skipped lunch at the pool bar, but I was told it was satisfactory. I expected a little better variety at dinner. There was a theme promoted each night at the buffet, but the food was basically the same and just served or spiced slightly differently. I found the baked fish to be the best option most nights.

The problem at dinner was long lines waiting to be seated. The buffet restaurant was partially air-conditioned and some people preferred to wait for a table in a/c section. Although there appeared to be plenty of seating available, folks sometimes waited in line 15 or 20 minutes.

The fitness room was a nice amenity, although not many people seemed to use it.

The grounds were well-maintained and quite beautiful. It would have been nice to have kept the pools open later than 8 p.m. for people not interested in attending the shows or drinking until the wee hours.

Two suggestions I would make to Allegro visitors: 1). Rent a car for at least one day to see the rest of the island and experience some of the local restaurants. Either that, or take a cab. 2). If you're planning to spend most of the day at the beach and prefer some relief from the scorching sun, go very early in the morning and drop a towel or bag on a chair under a thatched umbrella. Most of the umbrellas are snatched up quickly.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Steve B

Dear Steve B,

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Allegro Cozumel. We sincerely hope to be able to host you again in the near future for yet another pleasant stay. We appreciate your remarks on the areas we could improve.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Last year I came to Cozumel for my birthday and fell in love with the island! My stay at the Cozumeleno was top notch and really set the bar. Naturally I decided to come back again for my birthday and this time i brought my family. From the pictures I saw online I thought that the Allegro would be even better than the Cozumeleno, BOY WAS I WRONG! I won't bore you with all of the details, but let's just say that my family and I ended up moving to the Occidental Allegro Grand resort due to our horrible experience and the Allegro not being nothing like what we saw in the pictures online. We were definitely catfished and hopefully the below things that "they" don't tell/show you online, will help you make an informed decision.

What they don't tell you....
1-WIFI is not free. Not because they don't have it, BUT because it's $81 for the week AND you can only access the wifi from the lobby or the beach. Sounds crazy right in 2014? Not only do you have to pay for a service that you can get free at many resturaunts/bars downtown, you can't even use the WIFI in your room.

2-This resort is one of the oldest resorts on the island and is very out dated. While the landscape is nice, don't let that trick you. The rooms and facility are VERY OUTDATED.

3-The Rooms- VERY DISSAPOINTING. There are hammocks in front of your room which were a nice touch, but it would help if they weren't dirty and cleaned for each guest. The full size beds are on cement blocks (yes! cement blocks) and the linenes are cheap. Sleeping in the bed felt like I was at hotel Bedrock! The tile in the bathroom had rust and i'm hoping it was not mold. Don't pay extra for the safe! The safe was completely covered in rust and had extensive water damage. The shelves that are there to store your clothes reminded me of a book shelf. The dresser that the tv sits on didn't even have drawers. When you open it, it's an open hollow space, which I thought was weird. The front door doesn't close all the way which allowed for bugs to crawl in. There were ants and spiders crawling in the shower and on the ceiling. The air conditioning didn't work. The air is supposed to come on when there is movement, but that's not the case. The tv doesn't work. While it's a given that it won't be top quality, you should be able to at least see the picture.

4-Bars/Pool/Food -It appeared as though they were heavily understaffed as it took about 10-15 minutes to get a drink. There weren't a lot of bar areas which was dissapointing and made it inconvenient walking and waiting to get a drink. The bar by the pool/beach closed really early, like 8p. The food was okay. It's rediculous that you are limited to 1 reservation at the specialty resturant for every 3 nights that you stay. When in Cozumel, I really don't come for the pools, but i did notice that the jacuzzi was filled with sand.

Cozumel is an amazing place with great beaches, great locals, a lot of fun affordable activities and amazing for snorkeling. While this wasn't the way that I wanted my family to experience Cozumel, i'm glad to say that they still enjoyed the island. In fact my parents loved it so much, they joined the vacation club through Sunscape NOT Occidental and we will not be staying at the Allegro again......EVER.

The things that I didn't like may not matter to you and you may see them as non-important things (totally fine). I encourage you to read a lot of reviews and look at the guest photos. I wish I would've prior to booking this trip.

5  Thank K D

Dear K D,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We appreciate your feedback and you can be certain we will take your comments into consideration in order to maintain our quality standards. We apologize for not having been up to your expectations regarding room, WIFI service and bar service.