“Holiday Village aka The Allegro”
Review of Allegro Cozumel

Allegro Cozumel
Ranked #24 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Port Moody, Canada
“Holiday Village aka The Allegro”
Reviewed 1 February 2009

My recent stay at the Holiday Village White Sands left me feeling pretty relaxed and definitley not ready to go back home to the cold.
The resort was in a great area, not to far out of the main town but far enough that the beaches were beauitful and there was green 'jungle' like areas all around. The water was very blue with lots of little reefs around. If you like snorkeling you can do it right off the beach and the equipment is free to rent for a few hours. Watch out for the Jelly fish though, the people I talked to said they weren't that bad but I got a pretty big sting. The staff were very helpful though in finding me vinigar to help relieve the pain. The rooms were fairly nice however seemed smaller in person than in the photos. The walls were also pretty thin so dont be surprised if you hear the people next door. The staff were all very friendly. The wait staff were usually quick and friendly, as well as the bartending staff. The bartenders were also good at making up drinks when we ran out of ideas...after a few days you need someone elses idea for drinks!

The day entertainment staff (in2action) were great and would have a game of Volleyball going at least once a day. They also had a few fun things to do during the day like drink mixing and salsa lessons.
The evening entertianment was usually pretty good. Scott Jackson was amazing. He has a great voice and sene of humor, though sadly he will only be there about another week, along with pretty much the rest of the entertianment team. Hopefully the new team coming in will be just as good. Carlos was also great and he should still be there. He taught salsa lessons by the pool as well as during the evening entertianment.
The customer service rep Simon was very helpful. If you are looking into doing some of the tours or just going on your own Simon will be able to help set it up and give you some awesome suggestions of places to go on the island. Look for him if you want to tour around as he will be very helpful and is always friendly.

As for the rest of the hotel, the food was normally pretty good. The dinner buffet changed every night which was nice, though breakfast and lunch pretty much stayed the same so at times you had to get creative with the choices as it could get old fast. The grounds of the hotel were kept fairly well and the pools usually clean. The kids pool would be great if you had a family, though it does have a slightly annoying alarm that goes off every 15 minutes or so before the water bucket dumps all its water.

If you are looking into night time entertianment the hotel usually quiets down after 11 so you'll have to go into town. Its only about 15 minutes away by cab. Senior Frogs and Carlos and Charles seem to be the popular places to go.

The hotel is very family orientated so if you are traveling with your kids or in a larger family group I would say the Allegro is a great place to go but if you are singles or honeymooners you might want to try more of an adults only resort. Look through Signature as they run the Allegro and you could probably find an adults only resort through them.

• Liked — The white beaches
  • Stayed January 2009
4 Thank samm_8608

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (926)
  • Polish first
woodlands, Texas
Reviewed 30 January 2009

This was a beautiful place to be. It is very kid friendly! Lots of fun activities for kids, but I don't have kids. However, it was a beautiful beach. Very clear water. I have traveled to a bunch of tropical places and this water was def, the most beautiful and clear. Angle fish swim right up to you. You can Kayak and snorkle. We kayaked and saw lots of big sting rays. The sun sets were amazing. There is an awesome place to eat away from the resort called mr. sanchos. We ate there yesterday and had some great shrimp ceviche, shrimp cocktail, jalapeno poppers, mango madness and miami vice cocktails...all very yummy! The food on the resort was ok. Thr first day there when we did the snack bar, we were not pleased. Then we found out there is food on top of the lobby and that was way better. The mexican place for dinner was...eh..ok. The shrimp soup was good. The asian place, I had the salmon and it was grrreat!! Breakfast is good. You can order your omlettes. The drinking is great cause it;s all included. Corona on tap, and other refreshing tropical drinks you can order. Not any premium liqours. A lot of the cheap stuff they have there in Mexico. A lot of europeans at the resort. Tourists and staff. I travel a whole lot around mexico, being a flight attendant, but there were a lot of europeans for mexico. The entertainment staff were all from the UK. They did a great job at putting on the shows at night. Did not feel like mexico at all. No mexican shows the week we were there, except one. The one that they had was terrible. The rooms were great. Beds were not too hard, and the rooms were nice and cooold! That a/c worked very well. Lots of iguanas and reptiles. It rained one morning then it got nice and humid the next. Yes. I got bit..a lot! My boyfriend did not have one bite and somehow I got enough for the 2 of us. I live in houston where there is humidity, so I know those mosquitos were coming right after it rained tuesday morning. We took a cab ride into downtown cozumel for 15 bucks eachway. We spent the day shopping around and did the ferry to playa de carmen. Highly recommend that trip!!! It is about 14 bucks each way and you can def. explore the cool town and swim at that beach. So go early and play in the sun and do some shopping. We ate at some taco stand and had a few beers that this bar next to senor frogs. Cozumel is a very low key place to be. Playa was a bit more clubbish and a very cute place to be. If you are going to Cozumel to have a low key romantic time or take the kids out to a trip it is THE PLACE TO BE! If you are looking to go and club and bar hop then think about doing Playa de Carmen, Mazatlan,Cabo, or Can Cun! The resort was good, but I think I may look into staying somewhere else next time. As for the horn people keep talking about, it IS NOT that bad at all. I was expecting something so annoying, but it is not that bad. You cannot hear it all around the resort and it's not like it is on all night. Be careful renting a jeep or car. They can stop you for anything and that does include taking your money. Cops will pull you over for no reason. Be careful riding mopeheads too. They are dangerous and They will hit you in a heartbeat. Play it safe and take a cab. Verify the price with the driver cause they will try and screw you on the price of your ride. I learned that the hard way!!

• Liked — the clear water
  • Disliked — the food could have been a bit better
3 Thank elisue26
toronto
Reviewed 30 January 2009

I read many review about this place and I was a bit aprihensive about booking but I did anyways because it looked like a great place for a family to stay. Now for all the people with bad review if you want 5 star then you better book 5 star or if you booked during the Caribean Huricane season then let the buyer beware. I thought the place was fantastic especially for kids.
Upgrade to royal rooms if you don't have kids well worth it.
Rooms- They were a bit small but who want to spend time indoors. They were clean and the maids made up the beds everyday and left towel animals and flowers on the bed- Nice touch.
Food- I found quite a variety of foods to eat and delicious too- Every meal there was a variety of fish, chicken , pork or beef to eat; always prepared in diffrent manners. I don't know why people complained about the food. Lots of pasta, potatoes,food for kids-hotdogs, hamburgers, fries and a variety of mexican dishes to try. And if you get a chance get them to make you a spanish or mexican coffee deliciious and quite the show.
A la carte restaurants- I really enjoyed the oriental- Mexican adventurous me I think I made some some bad choices catus salad and enchatas- too salty.
Pools- Amazing Kids pool -water slides water guns splash pad alot of fun for kids- Just the darn alarm when it is going to dump 100 gallons on water on everyone. Thank God they were working on it so it did'nt work all day. Maybe if we complain enough they will disar it. Other pools were great a little cool but refreshing on a hot day.
Diving- Amazing Diving there- They have a dive shop and dock right on site. Not happy with them, larger dive groups and would not rent me some equipment because I signed up with some else. I would recommend DIVE WITH MARTIN-divewithmartin.com phone-[--] -located at the cuise ship pier. I saved over 100 US and they gave me a video of my dive. They have smaller dive groups and they will pick you up at the dock. You got to try the night dive.
Entertaiment was great for kids OK for adults.
Bars- Never busy great variety of frozen slushy drinks and always willing to please.
Lots and lots of lounge chairs - never had to wake up early to try to get one they were always available.

• Liked — Great layout- beautiful grounds
  • Disliked — Kids pool Horn
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
Buckhorn ON
Reviewed 29 January 2009

My hubby and I stayed at HVWS in the Royal Suites VIP section the week of Jan 10 -17/09. After reading mostly negative reviews, we decided to go with an open mind and enjoy ourselves regardless. Although the weather was not very co-operative (only 2 days of sun - that damn Norte), we had a wonderful vacation!!!

Check-in was very quick. Thanks NATASHA, for taking us directly upon arrival to our separate reception and Concierge. Thank you FREDDY for all the directions. A very special thanks to HECTOR, for service and conversations beyond the call of duty! Hope to see you here in Canada someday soon, furthering your training.

Our room was adequate and immaculately cleaned each day. It was always interesting to see what the towel art would be...very creative. YES the walls are paper thin and the birds are LOUD - take ear plugs if you're a light sleeper. The beds are HARD. There was a musty smell and I understand that this does happen in high humidity locations. It also may have something to do with the thatched roofs. At no time did the roof leak and we had lots of rain.

The grounds and beach were gorgeous. Meticulously maintained and raked each day. No need to rush and reserve beach or pool loungers, there were plenty to go around. Although the pools were cold, this was not really a concern for us. We can swim in pools at home, we'd much rather swim in the ocean. Didn't really notice the horn at the kids pool after a couple of days.

We had no problems with the food. Lunch for everyone, was served at the snack bar/buffet restaurant (Mexican a la carte at night), which overlooks the activity pool and the beach. There was always a variety of foods to choose from..veggies, rice, salads, beef, chicken, pork, fish, soups, bread, fruits, nachos, burgers, pizza, desserts. Breakfast and dinner is located at the buffet restaurant, located above the main reception at resort entrance. Had one dinner at the Oriental a la carte which was good.

Because we stayed in the Royal Suites section we had exclusive use of the Mediterranean Restaurant for breakfast and dinner. WOW!!!!!!!!!! Food was incredible and the presentation superb, kudos to the chefs. Many, many thanks to JESUS for making breakfasts so enjoyable and entertaining and for the beach service as well! Really miss the teasing. MARVIN and JAIRO thank you so much for such attentive service, friendliness and politeness during dinners! You are both fine young men. Miss the Mexican coffees and your artistry preparing them.

The activity staff work very hard to keep everyone entertained and have lots to keep young and old alike occupied. We give the entertainment crew an "A" for enthusiasm and effort. But please, turn your sound levels down for the evening shows - louder is not necessarily better - just distorted.

As for the Occidental vacation club reps at the front of the resort - if your not interested a simple no thank you works quite well. We did not find them pushy or offensive in any way.

SERGIO, it was a genuine pleasure meeting and talking with you! Gracias amigo for your care and concern and arranging our excursions. Perhaps next time the weather with be more condusive to getting that snorkeling trip in.

Contrary to what we read, we found all the staff and reps (CHANTAL's a sweetie, SIMON is charming), to be extremely friendly, courteous, efficient and hard working. There are many who work in the hospitality industry that could certainly learn some valuable lessons from the Mexicans who work at this resort!!!! To those guests who said otherwise - perhaps you should treat others the way you expect to be treated.

All in all we found this resort to be great value for the money and would return at a moments notice.

• Liked — close to the beach
  • Disliked — musty smell
1 Thank jhl53
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed 29 January 2009

This was a great place to stay.

When we were there January 17, we never had no issues with Mosquittos. There is no "swap" next door.

The Resort is really clean, with excellent staff, who are very friendly, and attentive. The Mexican restaurant is EXCELLENT.

And because of a food allergy I didnt know I had, the resorts on-call doctor is super friendly and he comes right to your Resort Room.

Also, if you are going for scuba diving, this resort is EXCELLENT. Dive Palancar is great. The staff is amazing, and Divemaster "Pingo" is great and super friendly.

We would recommend this to anyone, and especially Pingo and his team to anyone wanting to scuba dive.

The only "complaint" is that the some of the food at the Buffet could have been hotter.

And a word of warning, when booking excursions with Simon, be careful, he "forgot" to book our excursion and a couple of other families.

On the whole, great vacation, great weather, great food, and wickedly excellent Scuba Diving

• Liked — Very Clean, and very friendly staff
  • Disliked — Food Could have been hotter
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
Toronto

Date: January 21 - 28
Ages: 18 - 33

Hotel:
Check-in - This went very smoothly. The Signature rep was at the hotel greeting us and telling us where ours rooms were. We than went to the front desk to get our key and safe lock. Our bags were brought to our room within 20 minutes.

Rooms: We had one room on the top floor and two rooms on the bottom floor. Though it was thought that the rooms on the top floor were larger, the thatch roof allowed for a lot of noice. LOL...we were woken up each morning at around 6:30am to the sound of birds on the roof. The rooms are a little bit bland but for the amount of time we spent in them - they were clean and sufficient. We were in building 11 - right at the back of the resort (furthest away from the beach) but it was a great location - very private and close to the main building and entertainment. It was a short walk to the pool and beach.

Food: The lunch buffet which is located by the pool is your typical buffet - it had mostly the same things each day - we all lived on nachos, fajitas and french fries for lunch. the dinner buffet has a different theme each night - the food was ok, there was always something to eat. This is also the same place where you have your breakfast. There is a someone at the grill each morning making eggs and at dinner making something good! The two a la cartes - the Mexican restaurant was ok but the Japanese restaurant was AMAZING!!

Bugs: Yes, there are some mosquitos at night. We took bug spray and survived. There are also sand flees that you never see but you'll feel the bite...again - not that bad.

Island Tour: Three of us rented a car and drove around the island...it's the best way to see it! There is only one road around the whole island so it's close to impossible to get lost. We went into town - shopping is expensive!! LOL...I did better at the airport when we were leaving. We also went to the San Gervasio (??) ruins and had lunch at Coconuts - awesome view and really yummy food!! We didn't get a jeep since we wanted to save some cash...$80 for a car and full insurance and $9 for gas. It was a cheap day out and was lots of fun. Our friends went parasailing which left from the dock at the hotel - they had a great time, it was approximately $65 for a 10 - 15 minute sail.

Time Share People: Yes, they are there at the hotel and they are not pushy, they are very friendly but if you want to make things simple, talk to your Signature rep and they will point you in the right direction. Some of the information the time share people were telling us about day trips was wrong and they will only give you deals if you sit through one of their presentations. Again, they are nice people but their prices for day trips are not always the best deal.

Entertainment: The evening shows were really good. We went each night to watch the shows and even caught one of the kids shows. The staff put a lot of effort into the shows and they were a good time.

Check - out: Take a cab to the airport for $45...it's worth getting there before everyone else for check-in!!!

Saying all of that...it was a fun week and the weather was beautiful. We went as a group of seven girls and had a good time. Reminder, this is a family resort and we did notice and increase in the number of kids when we were leaving. AND, the horn that people have been complaining about by the kids pool is not that bad!!! We hardly noticed it!!!
We paid a good price to go here for the week and everything was great!! The staff were friendly, the hotel is spotless and the food is what to be expected in Mexico.

• Liked — The location and the staff
  • Disliked — The rooms need a little bit of colour.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank AndreaToronto
Georgetown, Ontario
Reviewed 26 January 2009

I hve read a lot of reviews about this resort, and sometimes wonder if we were staying at the same place. We arrived late evening and from the very start were met with friendliness, organization and helpfulness. We upgraded to the Royal Suites and if you are travelling without young children I would highly recommend this. We had our own check in, unlimited internet acess, unlimited reservations to speciality restaurants, adult pool and beach, beach towels, waiter service around pool and beach, mediterranean restaurant for breakfast, free room safe, slippers and robes in room and a constant supply of drinks and bottled water. We found all the staff very friendly and helpful, had no problems with mosquitoes or bugs of any kind, and never saw any jellyfish, although we didn't snorkel in very deep water. We rented a jeep for the day to travel the island which cost us $40. We did go on a tour of the Occidental resort next door and of course they are trying to sell you on buying into the Occidental organization, but it was interesting to see what a more expensive resort (with not as nice beach as ours) could offer. We had a very friendly guide and enjoyed an excellent breakfast and also vouchers towards our car rental.
The White Sands beach is one of the best although not very wide. The waters are incredily clear and you can stand in the shallow water and have fish swim around your feet. There are oodles of loungers and plenty of shade on the beach from palm trees or umbrellas and no need to reserve your chair. We were lucky in that we had 7 days of incredible weather, not a drop of rain, not humid and cooler nights so wonderful for sleeping.
The food is plentiful and good and whenever we went for lunch the food was fresh and was replenished regularly. You could have fish, meat, salad, rice, potatoes, hamburgers, BBQ meats, a good variety. The meals in the speciality restaurants were very good although portions a little smaller, so be sure to order appetizers and salad or soup. All meals were beautifully presented. We found everything very clean and service amazing.
This resort also caters to young families. There are 4 pools and one is an incredible children's pool with very shallow water. Yes there is a horn that sounds every 10 minutes or so which I think they could make a little quieter, and there is music around the activities pool, but there are quieter areas if you wish. From what we could see the children were having a blast and lots of activities day long organized for them.
I don't think there was a lot for teenagers, other than water sports. The nightly entertainment was loud and reminded us of high school productions, but the actors were very enthusiastic.
If you don't like early mornings then bring your ear plugs. All rooms have a thatched roof and the birds like to sit under the eaves and start their morning chorus around 6.30 a.m. You could set your watch by them. Also the rooms are not very soundproof due to the thatched roofs and the fact that the bathrooms only have shutters with a screen and no glass. So be careful what you say when sitting on your balcony as your neighbours will hear everything!
Our room was quite small but very clean with a king size bed. The bathroom was clean and always stocked with clean towels. We had no problems with mould or bugs even though we were right next door to the wild vegetation.
The grounds were very clean and beautifully landscaped. Lots of flowers.
Value for money I think this is the best resort we have stayed at and we would definitely go back. Although stocked with Pepto, Immodium and Gravol, we never needed them. Majority of vacationers were Canadian with British running the entertainment. We were not accosted by aggressive sales people on the beach, although the town itself is something else. You do have to be aware of scam artists and if the deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is! We always dealt with our Signature vacation reps and they were incredibly helpful and always available.
Chris and Rosemary, Georgetown, Ontario

• Liked — Clean, friendly service, wonderful location
  • Disliked — Rooms need to be more soundproof. Birds like thatched roofs.
5 Thank Muggerch