“Awesome!”

Ranked #24 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Toronto
“Awesome!”
Reviewed 16 April 2009

Being a parent to three boys aged 9, 12 and 13 we loved the hotel!
We arrived and where greeted by superdooperspyderwondapantsman, otherwise known as Jasen, He is the hotel's own personal clown and you will have to see all his other costumes and people to understand how entertaining he is.
The food; not a big selection, but what they have to offer is nice and it varies day to day.. always have soup and a kids section so everyone was happy. Omlettes in the morning made by a guy called Jesus are delicious, its worth the five min wait because of the line.
The pools are nice.. although the wind was strong while we where there and it had blown some grass and parts of tree into the water.. but this was removed every few hours.. the pirate pool is great fun for everyone, the whole family enjoed it.
our reps where good, we won a trip to see the dolphins for our last day and they where good to sort it out on the morning that we went to them for all five of us.
The wavelength club was excellent. I took my boys to sign up on the first day and they even got a free shirt and cell phone cover. We signed up for the easter party too, which they are still talking about now that we're home. I have to say Matt and Katie where excellent with the boys all week, they did not want to leave the club and went to most of the activities which included things like beach olympics, raft building, kayaking and generally fun games for teenagers.
The entertainment at night was very enjoyable with the kids time and game shows, definatly see the mayan show too.. its a sight to behold..
so all in all a brilliant holiday. I will be returning next year, my kids loved it, my mother, my huspand and I thourouighly enjoyed our time to relax and I recomend to everyone!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank jumpuphighe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (915)
  • Polish first
Halifax
Reviewed 15 April 2009

I never believed my room would be SO BIG! Usually when they say there's a living area, it's a couch on one side of the room, but this was great. A full bedroom with Flat Screen TV, and a full living room, with a counter area for the coffee and fridge.
There was even a little hallway that ran from the bathroom to the Jacuzzi, so you didn't track water all over the place (Because the Jacuzzi is in the living room)
Ended up not using the Jacuzzi much, but I'm glad I took the Jacuzzi Suite because it was the best spot on the resort!. One step out the door and I was right at the Adult pool, which usually had no one in it, sometimes a few sunbathers.
Getting a chair was never an issue, not at the pool or the beach.
The wait staff always made sure I had a drink in hand (if I wanted one...) and the Mojito was the the drink of choice!!! I never could tell how much rum was in there until after I'd finished it, and felt the effects!!!
Some new CDs for the restaurant would be nice. I only ate there for breakfast (the one on the beach) but since my house was right beside it, you could constantly hear the 80's sappy love songs, over and over. Every time I hear "total Eclipse of the Heart" now, it reminds me of Cozumel.
I wouldn't say this resort is the place to "Party Hard", it's really quiets down at night.
Quite often, we were the only ones out after midnight! FOr that reason I loved it, since it was so peaceful, and I could actually RELAX.
Even though this is a family spot, with LOTS of kids, you'd never know it if you stayed at the Royal Suites. It's a Resort within the Resort in my opinion.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank canadaflyer
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 April 2009

We recently returned from yet another great vacation at Allegro (Holiday Village White Sands). We've booked this same resort for 14 years, and after reading all other posts I can clarify the good and bad points.
1. Allegro has the most beautiful beach on the island. It is clear, clean and the most beautiful blue you'll ever see.
2. New to the resort this year is the British staff. As others commented, we vacation in the Yucatan to see and experience all Mexico has to offer, the food, music and friendly Mexicans. The Brits are trying hard and they deserve credit, however, they are out of place and not appreciated by many. Personally, I'd love to see the Mexican staff as it was in previous years.
3. The food is just fine. We stayed at this resort for two weeks and never experienced any problems. Sure, the menu can get a bit repetitive after two weeks, so we went to town a couple times for a special lobster dinner for a change of pace. The specialty restaurants are an added bonus. We tried both the Oriental and Mexican and liked them both. In 14 years I have never been sick from the food or water at this resort. Actually, this year I did get sick, but only on a healthy snack I purchased at Mega in town. It was a peanut brittle type bar with nuts that looked like bird seed (perhaps it was)!
4. The entertainment in past years was the best! During our two week stay, we only attended two evening stage shows and left both early. Again, British staff appears to be out of place here. Allegro would do well by re-hiring the previous entertainment staff.
5. All staff including the front desk, waiters, bartenders and maids were excellent. We never had a problem and we look forward to seeing them every year. Freddy makes the best mango margaritas on the planet!
6. We've had both upper and lower level rooms the last 14 years. They have all been clean and well maintained. The lower level rooms are definitely more quiet than the upper level rooms.
7. Allegro fogs the entire area for insects at least once a week. If you are on the beach, by the hot tub or walking around at dusk, you will get mosquito bites. Otherwise, insects are not an issue.
8. We did notice more attention to children and less to adult activities this visit. In prior years, there were adult games throughout the day (volleyball, water polo) etc. There were basically no adult activities. We provided input on the comment cards and are hoping this gets addressed soon.
9. We were disappointed to find a section of the beach we've always had access to had been roped off for Royal Club Guests with a specific wrist band color. We made sure management was aware of the issue and we also indicated our thoughts on the comment card as we checked out.
10. The new pirate ship/water slide added for kids is awesome! Even the adults can have fun here! The horn is not loud unless you are directly in front of or under it.
Yes, Allegro has changed a bit. They've survived a few hurricanes, rebuilt and made improvements and changes that will never satisfy everyone. For us and friends we continue to see at Allegro each year, it's still the best vacation spot we've found.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AD8501
Angus, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 1 week in the Royal Suites portion of the hotel. The staff went out of their way to ensure our happiness. For example: The staff opened the breakfast kitchen on the Royal Suites side an hour early for us on our fishing day so that we didn't have to go out on the ocean for 4 hours on an empty stomach. As far as all inclusive buffets go this hotels was very good. There are 3 a la carte restaurants. The Oriental and the Mediterranean were excellent. We did not try the Mexican as my husband only brought shorts so we were not allowed in there. There are 4 pools, 3 jacuzzi's( unheated), and bars dotted all over the resort. The entertainment staff always had something on the go. Even if you didn't want to participate it was quite entertaining just watching. One very important suggestion: If you like to have snacks such as potato chips or cheezies, BRING YOUR OWN! We went to the hotel store to purchase some cheezies and the price was $14.83 US! Pringles were $6.00 US. We recommend this hotel and we would return.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank K8tieM
Stratford
Reviewed 4 April 2009

This place is exactly what it claims to be
Good food-family oriented-great facilities
For couples it has an adults only area
Amazingly quiet except for overly loud entertaiment
However this shuts down about 10pm so not a huge issue
Go and enjoy

1 Thank barney475
Owen Sound, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2009

If you are looking for a family resort than this is it. We booked fairly last minute looking for a place that was affordable, safe, clean, children friendly and located within easy flight access from Toronto. Holiday Village White Sands in Cozumel was definately a smash hit in our books.
Our 2 children were so whipped at the end of the day from all of the kids activities, the pools, waterpark, the ocean, beach volleyball, snorkeling and dancing that it made for easy bedtimes. And yes the beds are hard, but fortunately we like it that way.
Being in the travel and tourism industry here in Canada, we could certainly take home a few lessons on customer service. The staff were great. The local staff were kind and humble and the international staff were hillarious and understanding, the perect mix.
This place was a great deal and we were looking for one week away to play as a family. It exceeded our expectations. Highly reccommedended.

3 Thank B_C_H_BCH
Uxbridge,Ont
Reviewed 2 April 2009

This trip was great....We arrived swiftly from the airport to the resort, and upon arrival were greated by Simon the rep and "Superduperspiderwonderman" aka Jason the resort "Clown". He had the kids attention from the get go, and we were also greated with Cold beers by the waiters too.. which was great considering the heat.

We went with friends and when we booked had specifically asked that we be put next to each other as we like to sit outside when the kids are in bed at night, this however wasn't the case when we arrived. It turned out we were the other side of the Kiddies pool area which really wasn't going to work. Simon called our room once we got there to see if we had any concerns, I told him about our request, and within 10 minutes we were moved to another unit where our friends were. Which was awesome.

We are a family with a 5yr old and 10yr old so were put into a family room, which is two rooms one with a King size bed and another with two doubles, both rooms had their own bathroom/shower and closet space which was a extra bonus.
All rooms have a hammock on the balcony which was great too.

Positives:
The "Splash Pool" for the kids is fantastic, and kept them entertained. The area around the pool is great with umbrellas and lots of loungers too. This was great to sit and relax watch the kids, plus read and not be too concerned about them. There is also a lifeguard on site at this pool.

The rooms are a nice size for what you pay for. The maids do a great job every day, our room was always spotless. Towel Art always when you return.

The beach is fantastic, the water is beautiful.
The Activities pool is clean and not too busy, considering it has a swim up bar.

The food is good. Not a great deal of selection. But its cooked well, they do their best to change it up each night and day. Not one of us was sick, which was a bonus. After 6 days you begin to get a little tired of it. But no real complaints.

The entertainment staff are awesome, it is themed more towards to kids, but in my opinion thats what you want anyway when you travel with younger childern. My kids had a fantastic time, so that in my mind makes the holiday.
Props to Paul (Ricky) on his great stage act... and also Jason who always did a great job in entertaining the kids. Sandy was also a great singer.

Snorkeling is great, the water is crystal clear and lots of fish to see.

Negatives:
Not enough staff. They do seem to be a little understaffed at some of the bar areas. Other places i've been too usually have 2 or 3 people on at a time, at these bar's there was always just one person, so you do have line ups at times.

First couple of days there were not enough plates, and bowls so you tended to wait around until clean ones came out.

Needs to be a bar area for the kids. Should include a pool table or air hockey or something like that.

So not alot of complaints. We had a fantastic time, and my kids are already asking to go back again next year.

4 Thank Uxbridge_OntLloydies