“Hotel reasonable, First Choice RUBBISH!”
Review of Allegro Cozumel

Allegro Cozumel
Ranked #21 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
West Sussex
“Hotel reasonable, First Choice RUBBISH!”
Reviewed 5 July 2009

Just returned back from the Holiday Village White sands and here is my review.

Hotel:

the Hotel itself was nice with a great beach, we booked a standard room as on every other occasion this has been fine for us, not here, standard rooms are tiny and not suitable for 2 adults and 2 children.
The grounds were kept nicely and the lizards and wildlife were nice to look at, the pools were ok but be warned, blonde hairs turns Green! yes Green, any white on bathing costumes turns yellow, we were told this was down to all the suncreams coming off in the water, in my 20 years of travelling this is a first for me and it must be down to the pool chemicals, that said the pool guys worked hard to keep them clean, but not from you turning green!
The splash pool was fun for both Adults and kids!

The Food was good, i prefered the Buffet, the speciality resturants were pretty poor in my opinion, the Oriental was visited once and my daugthers salad had a cockrocah in one of the leaves, we never went back there, the mexican one was better but still not what i would call good, the dress code was said to be trousers and a shirt, the only thing they insisted on was no flip flops so it was not a nice night out when half were dressed up and others had sports shorts and Tee Shirts on.

In2action team
These were the best bit of the holiday, amusing the kids so the adults got some peace, these guys deserve a medal.

Rope course, good for kids and adults, free for First Choice customers but at $10 for others i thought it a little expensive.

evening entertainment very poor, and beware of the Mozzies, at dusk thay come out and are hungry!

the beach and water psorts were good, snorkeling was good around 150mtrs offshore, Hobiecat was used a lot as well.

The Island, we took a jeep out and drove around the Island not too much to see but it was good to get out.

Flights, Inbound was fine, arrived on time, Outbound what a farce, no checkin desks opened and a large queue formed, First Choice reps where clueless, didnt know whether we had to check in first or pay exit tax first, then dissapeared without a trace. Return flight, no inflight entertainment 10hrs amusing the kids! OMG. what used to be called trolly dollies were now trolley grandmas, rude and ignorant when challanged about inflight entertainment problem, was called a liar when i asked why it had taken so long for them to come to me after pressing my button, the light didnt work it turned out but i was still called a liar!

Fisrt choice overall, Terrible, Last choice if you ask me. but as the ratings rate the Hotel only so i have been fair and truthful.

Holiday spoilt by poorly trained First Choice staff, mexcian staff were good, if you try to pick up the language they appreciate it and responds to you, pity the Reps dont take a leaf out of thier books.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank vf12vf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (901)
  • Polish first
Texas
Reviewed 29 June 2009

Let me begin with this is a very FAMILY FRIENDLY RESORT...
My trip was a girls-get-away...We left 8 kids and 2 husbands for some R & R, not knowing that we went to the most incredible place for FAMILIES!!!

The Allegro had been closed down for Swine Flu and just recently reopened, but found no issues or concerns with the flu. The resort was VERY clean and staff was continually scrubbing, mopping, cleaning up things left behind by visitors on the beach and poolside. You couldn't find anywhere that was left dirty in the place.

Rooms are average. They are grouped in buildings with 4 downstairs and 4 upstairs rooms, most are connecting family suites to accommodate all the families visiting.
You cannot get a room close to the beach unless you were a member of the TimeShare Program with Occidental. Was not aware of that either until check-in.

The Resort has also just recently changed it's name because it was acquired by a British Company. There are TONS of Europeans on their 'holidays' at the resort, more than there are Americans. I the new name is now Holiday Village White Sands Village.

Back to the Family Friendly Aspects....There is a brand new waterpark and ropes course. Kiddos have multiple slides to play on, then there is a kids playground completely shaded from the sun and then the Childrens Program. The kids were having a BLAST with the counselors (all British) and rarely did you see any kids with their parents, but with all the other kids doing various activities. Children under 3 couldnt go into program, so the younger ones must stay with parents.

There is a Beach Volleyball Court, life-size Chess Set, mini soccer field, ceramics area and 2 other swimming pools other than the Waterpark Area.
I must preface...there is NO Relaxation Pool. Although it is called such we asked where we could get away from the noise and management told us there were too many families to enforce such an area...so we attempted to find a far corner of the beach away from the poolside/beachside DJ and ongoing activities to get a little bit of peace and quiet.

The resort itself is not a huge place. You could easily allow school-age children roam around with friends and be comfortable with it.

Not much happening here at night either. Very quiet, there is a nightly show but all done by 11 pm if not earlier.

FOOD
The resort offers 2 reservation only restaurants for dinner and a buffet with varying theme each night. Oriental and Mexican are the Restaurants (Oriental only one with Air Conditioning)
Lunch...only the buffet near the pool is the only option
Breakfast ...only the buffet at the front of resort is open for breakfast
Not alot of choices..we stayed for 4 days/3 nights and any longer than that we would have been leaving resort for dinner.

Overall, both my girlfriend and I agreed we would return with our families, but from now on only go to an Adults Only Resort for rest and relaxation!!

See my posted pictures for room details, and resort images.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank Kristin A
ontario
Reviewed 28 June 2009

we had a great time from the moment we arrived
greeting us with a nice cold drink
as the days went on we were very pleased with the service,staff and accomidation
wide variety of food at the buffets, the steak house was amazing
beach was clean and so were the pools, grounds were beautifully manicured
all in all a great place to go and relax

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank holliday09
Texas
Reviewed 23 June 2009

My third stay at this resort did not go as well as the others. It's amazing how timeshare can change a place. Rather than being located with each other our family of 8 was separated while nearby rooms remained empty up until our last day there.

The answer at the front desk seemed to always be NO
May our family be placed closer together?
Batteries for a remote control?
Is there a show tonight?
May I make a reservation for the Mexican Restaurant ?
Is the Mexican Restaurant open?
How about the Oriental Restaurant?
Will there be a snack bar open later (23:00 til 1:00)?
Will there be an all night bar for drinks?
May I stay for another week?
Will there be a Lifeguard in the tower?
And so it went.................

Our holiday began on Monday, but on Friday things began to change. A flight from England arrived.
Lifeguards began to patrol the beach.
An afternoon Native performance outside the Lobby.
The Buffet added extra stations and the selections increased.

On Saturday, another flight arrived from England.
Another afternoon Native performance outside the Lobby.
Performances at the Theater began (poorly, but there).
Previously closed snack bars as well as drink bars opened.
Lunch by the Pool expanded.

Sunday brought more people.
The High Ropes course opened.
Still more drink bars, expanded buffet menus, more activities for children, the Resort was finally "open".
We left after breakfast the next morning.

The Family had great time. My wife and I were the only ones that recognized what was missing.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Scalerule
T_diddy
Reviewed 14 June 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed for 2 weeks all inclusive in October 08 and it was great.

We stayed in the Royal Suites in the adult section of the village.

Our room had a big comfy double bed, air con (which was needed!) and a balcony with a double hammock.
Thought the walls were quite thin to the next room though.

There seemed to be a lot for families with kids which we wanted to avoid so this section was great, private pool and part of the beach.

The staff there were unbelievably helpful, they were happy to do anything for you. Lounging on a white sand beach being brought a free cocktail by the waiter is the definition of a relaxing holiday. My personal fav was Armando.

There was 3 restaurants to eat at within the resort, a mexican, aisan and mediteranean. Then there was the buffet breakfasts and dinners with different themes every night, and 2 different buffet lunches on. I never stopped eating and drinking cocktails.

There was free internet and dvd rentals aswell.

We did a lot of excursions etc on the island and in Mexico itself, if we didn't I feel we would of got bored over the 2 weeks, but the entire 1st week we didnt do anything, just relaxed at the resort, then the second week we did a lot of activities.

Loved this place, caribbean all inclusive village.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank T_Killeen
Michigan
Reviewed 19 May 2009

Like so many others here, I really wish I would have read these reviews before my trip! This so-called "resort" was the worst my husband & I have ever stayed at. We frequently travel to Mexico. Please, PLEASE take these negative reviews to heart. There are ants, a lot of them and they are in the beds. The beds are like sleeping on concrete. The water does smell like sewer, do not brush your teeth w/out using bottled water. The glasses are not washed, we frequently had floating scum in our beer and when you ask for a new drink or a clean glass the staff gets angry, they actually threw glasses. The staff is so bad there aren't words to describe. Phones do not work, even the pay phone w/a calling card. DO NOT pay the $80/week to have internet access, that didn't really work either and certainly not from your room. Food REALLY IS BAD!! Nightly shows are bad and very loud until late at night.
If the "resort" wasn't bad enough we came home to find that they had billed our debit card an additional $1100 for our PREPAID trip. We booked thru Cheaptickets. It's been nearly 3 wks and I'm still trying to get reimbursed. Hotel claims to have "no record of those charges". I faxed my bank statement and they now "acknowledge" that my account was charged, but .... coincidently, the hotel is "closed for 1 month due to the swine flu". There has been no swine flu outbreak in Cozumel. I think the desk clerk helped himself to about $10000 pesos courtesy of my bank account while reconciling my phone charges when we checked out.
Seriously, do not stay at this resort. This is a horrible waste of money and really not a pleasant place to relax. If it weren't for the other travelers we met (who also complained) our entire trip would have been a waste.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shelcataline

Travellers are raving about these Cozumel hotels

Guelph
Reviewed 11 May 2009

The resort is wonderful. This is a resort for families and you will have an amazing time with your family, as we did. The staff are excellent with the children and parents. I have a child (11 year old) with needs and they worked so well with him, including him in all activities better then some of the works we have here in Canada. Thank you SPECIAL Kay, Matt and Michael!!! They encouraged him to play but did not push him to do anything he did not want to. Not only do they play with the kids like they are big brothers and sisters you can tell they are having fun. The entertainment at night was perfect for families. They really sing, NOT lip sing like we have seen at so many other resorts. Wonderful voices Katie, Paul and Sandi. Katie and Sandi also worked with my youngest son 9 at the pool one day to learn a hip hop dance that they did at the show the next night. They did not have to do this, they did it because they love their job and they are excellent at it. As far as Jason, well WOW!!! If you have been to this resort you will know how essential it is that he comes back with the WHOLE group. The kids love him and lets be real this resort is for the kids in every way!!!!! This resort will not be the same without this SAME staff, this FAMILY TEAM. I would definitely come back with my family and friends when this staff returns. We are a family of 6 and travel once or twice a year. Bring them all back after this flu is cleared up. Thanks

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family